• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK March sales: 217k consoles sold (down 7.6%YoY)| PS5#1, Series X|S #2

217,268 games consoles (panel retail data, not upweighted) were sold in the UK over the four weeks to April 3rd, 2021, which is an impressive figure but still down 7.6% over the same period in 2020.
PS5 in March sold more units, than PS5 in December

In terms of boxed software, just over one million games were sold during March 2021, which is down 20% over the same period in 2020.

More at the link:
PlayStation 5 enjoys second biggest month so far | UK Monthly Boxed Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Lmao at Miles not fitting on the 4th spot on the list. Is this some kind of meta thing?

Nevermind, I just read the rest of the article. lol.

That is hilarious.

Last edited:

jroc74

Looks like Sony is still handling stock ok all things considered.

Nintendo getting knocked to 3rd means MS is doing better with stock too.

Looks like games and stock are all that matters at the end of the day: Switch games just dominate the sales charts. But the other consoles saw some increases.

Last edited:

xShaun

Well done to Sony 👏

Would someone mind doing a percentage of console sales from PS5/Series launch each month? Would be intriguing to see if people swayed between consoles based on news each month.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
10 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar) :messenger_weary: Who doesn't own this by now?

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that cheating in GTA Online is so rampant, and people just re-buy new the game for a new account when they're banned. Would need to clarify as the info I found is iffy, but I'm pretty certain that's it. That or in-game cash: I believe at one point in time it was actually cheaper to buy the premium edition of the game and transfer the in-game cash from that to your main account, so people would just buy tons of copies. Again, would need evidence, just what I've heard.

Reactions: GHG

Papacheeks

Banned
Does this mean Jim Ryan can keep his job Y'all?

Monkey Puppet GIF

And people are worried about Sony? They are smashing it. Give Jim a pay rise!!

Nah, according to emotional Dumbfucks on the internet he needs to be removed. Seriously not long now. There's reasons why Vita/PS3/ store is closing on specific dates. SOONY, get ready.

A lot more remakes/remasters of cult favorites on the way. One or two of them will be leaked or shown. Not sure if they release this year though. I know one of them started a while back.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that cheating in GTA Online is so rampant, and people just re-buy new the game for a new account when they're banned. Would need to clarify as the info I found is iffy, but I'm pretty certain that's it. That or in-game cash: I believe at one point in time it was actually cheaper to buy the premium edition of the game and transfer the in-game cash from that to your main account, so people would just buy tons of copies. Again, would need evidence, just what I've heard.
That's sad and dumb but I totally believe it

jroc74

That or in-game cash: I believe at one point in time it was actually cheaper to buy the premium edition of the game and transfer the in-game cash from that to your main account, so people would just buy tons of copies. Again, would need evidence, just what I've heard.

I've heard this too. Its believable.

Shark Cards for the win....lol.

thelastword

Banned
Console sales will be the real game changer.....The more consoles sales, the more leverage you will have in the industry with third party deals, the more units you will continue to sell with excellent first party software.....That will be the consistent cash cow for Sony this gen and it's great for them too since hardware demand has never seen such lofty heights......Now with their GOTY software coming up and their high installbase it's going to be bonkers for Sony and Jim Ryan....He will even make some extra revenue on porting older PS4 games to PC too....Jim thought of everything...

Woopah

Could people not compare rough sales figures each month?
The only place we get regular weekly or monthly hardware figures from are Japan and Spain. And sometimes the US if the numbers leak. I wish we got more but unfortunately not.

ethomaz

Banned
We can some maths.

PS5 2020 > 450k
PS5 Nov 2020 > 250k
PS5 Dec 2020 < 200k

Maybe PS5 Feb 2021 should be way over 50% of the 217k sales in March.

That is crazy.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Does this mean Jim Ryan can keep his job Y'all?

Monkey Puppet GIF

Nah, according to emotional Dumbfucks on the internet he needs to be removed. Seriously not long now. There's reasons why Vita/PS3/ store is closing on specific dates. SOONY, get ready.

A lot more remakes/remasters of cult favorites on the way. One or two of them will be leaked or shown. Not sure if they release this year though. I know one of them started a while back.
Exactly. I remember when Sony was doing remakes, people used to say, stop wasting funds, give us new games, yet no one gave more new IP's in four generations than Sony and last gen was no exception.

Thing is, I've thought about that. I actually do think Sony has or can make an excellent emulator.....However putting all these old games on the store or going through the hassle of licensing, getting all disks to work, though they can do it....What's the point, few people play BC anyway and when they boot these old games up you will hear "hey, this game really did not age well".....The truth is, people prefer remakes/remasters, they will buy it again, it does not matter.... and if done well and some effort is put into them, they can sell gangbusters......

People said, who asked for crash. It broke sales records. Sotc did well and reviewed well. Demon Souls the same... gamers actually prefer their games to be updated....Look at the RE series, it just prints money. Even Nintendo gives modest upgrades to their old games on hardware that is barely much more powerful than the prior and people still lap it up at $60......I think Sony knows there is money to be made in remastering older games.....EA was reluctant, even they are now on the train with Mass Effect, Crysis etc... as one of their biggest new IP productions was an utter failure in Anthem....In this industry you can't keep financing failed ventures or leaving money on the table.....I think Jim Ryan understands that. Some Studios have to be shuttered so be it, putting some games on PC so be it. Yet more than anything, Sony's biggest strength is their talented studios, they have the biggest propensity to make a new IP work, to produce quality, high production products... As we can see, it's not exactly easy seeing many AAA games not living up to the hype or generating the necessary sales, but Sony has mastered that art...

And lets be clear, console hardware is just as important as ever, even more so....You need a high installbase to drive all the money spent in high quality first party and third party exclusives....

ethomaz

Banned
Company A is actually able to reasonably keep up with demand.
Company B kind of isnt.

Therefore....Company A is in trouble?

Does not compute.

This is still the middle of the pandemic......imagine what's gonna happen when things finally get better...
That is not what is impressive of the number.
It is crazy high to be bigger than December... read my other post.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Exactly. I remember when Sony was doing remakes, people used to say, stop wasting funds, give us new games, yet no one gave more new IP's in four generations than Sony and last gen was no exception.

Thing is, I've thought about that. I actually do think Sony has or can make an excellent emulator.....However putting all these old games on the store or going through the hassle of licensing, getting all disks to work, though they can do it....What's the point, few people play BC anyway and when they boot these old games up you will hear "hey, this game really did not age well".....The truth is, people prefer remakes/remasters, they will buy it again, it does not matter.... and if done well and some effort is put into them, they can sell gangbusters......

People said, who asked for crash. It broke sales records. Sotc did well and reviewed well. Demon Souls the same... gamers actually prefer their games to be updated....Look at the RE series, it just prints money. Even Nintendo gives modest upgrades to their old games on hardware that is barely much more powerful than the prior and people still lap it up at $60......I think Sony knows there is money to be made in remastering older games.....EA was reluctant, even they are now on the train with Mass Effect, Crysis etc... as one of their biggest new IP productions was an utter failure in Anthem....In this industry you can't keep financing failed ventures or leaving money on the table.....I think Jim Ryan understands that. Some Studios have to be shuttered so be it, putting some games on PC so be it. Yet more than anything, Sony's biggest strength is their talented studios, they have the biggest propensity to make a new IP work, to produce quality, high production products... As we can see, it's not exactly easy seeing many AAA games not living up to the hype or generating the necessary sales, but Sony has mastered that art...

And lets be clear, console hardware is just as important as ever, even more so....You need a high installbase to drive all the money spent in high quality first party and third party exclusives....

Yup, Like I get it when it comes to the strange beast that is Vita/PS3 there are some really great gems. But honestly outside of maybe a couple of titles how many PS3 games are people going to literally sit down and replay all the way through? Some of them already have been ported over to PS4 in remaster form. Uncharted collection, last of us, Valkyrie chronicles, Ni Nu Kuni. I mean I would love a collection of all remastered ratchet games. But story wise would not make sense since they rebooted it with 2016. And looks like 2021 ratchet is brand new in its story/world building. It seems to be a direct sequel to 2016 storyline where nefarious was re-introduced. Looks like they are trying to implement elements from "A Crack in Time" into it.

I mean would I use BC? Maybe for a couple of PS2/PS1 titles. There is hardly anything on vita that to me has not already been ported over. P4 and Gravity Rush both got great ports. I mean outside of a couple smaller games and some JRPG'S that some of which didn't get full localization theres not a lot of dedicated first party must have software on vita. Especially when you compare it to PSP.

I mean out of all the BC games on Microsoft im only replaying Ninja Gaiden, gears, kung fu chaos and couple others. For some people thats a big deal. But I feel over all the data suggests that more people are playing newer games and sales show that remakes remasters when done well seem to be the preferred way to play these titles.

If this means we are getting Resistance Collection remaster/remake and a infamous remaster/remake Im all for it. I mean there are devices out there that you can get to do BC, I dont put down $500 to play primarily games from 2-3 gens ago.
Even when I had my PS3 i think I replayed like 10-12 titles total from PS1/PS2. It's not like everyone was sold from the get go of playing all of your playstation games on a new system in 2021. If you have a giant digital library you can still access it, but its also at this point really old.

And honestly during that time you shouldn't have been buying digital, thats on you. I will always buy physical for large AAA, and digital for smaller AA-INDIE. Console ecosystem is not PC and was never sold as that.
Microsoft I think knowing how bad they fucked the landscape of PC gaming, and fucked their software library by not investing up until recently doubled down to get in peoples good graces. And seeing that it's a initiative not being done by anyone else it's a smart move. They are a software OS giant, they have the capacity/engineers/software developers and infrastructure to do it.

Sony doesn't have Billions to burn, they dont have Fuck You Money. Which also people need to realize, same with Nintendo. They have to be profitable 100% because their other parts of their company specifically Sony dont make as much to carry the company like Playstation divsion.
Most people are just morons and emotionally react to things they obviously have no fucking clue about.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
More thinking...

"Sony's new console enjoyed its second biggest month so far, and it's already overtaken PlayStation Vita, Wii U and Dreamcast in terms of sales in the UK."

That means PS5 is over 740k.
With March 2021 being > 100k that open the perspective.

PS5 20 weeks? > 740k
Wii 38 weeks > 1 million
PS4 42 weeks > 1 million

I'm feeling the new records.

Let's make a PS5 breakdown:

Nov 2020: > 250k (>450k with Dec)
Dec 2020: < 200k (> 450k with Nov)
Jan 2020: < 100k?
Feb 2020: < 100k?
Mar 2020: > 100k

Total: > 740k

PS5 > 1 million in less than 35 weeks?

Last edited:

Calverz

The passive aggressiveness here shows that you are hurt by this news, lol. Its OK man, Its nothing unusual when Playstation outperform the others, been happening since 1994. You should have been used to it by now.
Hurt by the news? Not at all. I own ps5 and a ps3. Both hooked up to my lgcx. I just find it funny that fanboys cling to these sales numbers so much.

MrA

Banned
So the switch is up, but both the xbox and ps5 are ahead of it, but sales overall consoles are down, I think it is safe to say the ps4 and xbox one are going to have much shorter tails than their predecessors.

Dream-Knife

Banned
If consoles are up, but no software is selling, does that mean scalpers are buying the consoles?

That also means those companies are losing money.

Renozokii

If consoles are up, but no software is selling, does that mean scalpers are buying the consoles?

Digital sales. People happy with Sony’s monthly offerings on ps plus. The 20 game collection on ps5. Fortnite, cod warzone, apex. Scalpers are an exaggerated problem. The continued existence of scalpers itself confirms people are buying consoles from the scalpers.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Digital sales. People happy with Sony’s monthly offerings on ps plus. The 20 game collection on ps5. Fortnite, cod warzone, apex. Scalpers are an exaggerated problem. The continued existence of scalpers itself confirms people are buying consoles from the scalpers.
It doesn't make sense to buy a new console to play old games on it though. Unless this is an Apple situation with newer is better.

Renozokii

It doesn't make sense to buy a new console to play old games on it though. Unless this is an Apple situation with newer is better.
It’s also arguable people able to find these consoles by scouring the internet constantly are more likely to buy their games digitally.

Woopah

Software is selling, Spiderman, Assassin's Creed and a bunch other games on PlayStation and Xbox are in the chart. Plus you don't have to be in the top 20 to sell well.

Top Bottom