• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK Charts] Skate 3 returns to top three ten years after release

Bullet Club

Skate 3 returns to top three ten years after release | UK Digital Charts

But FIFA 21 remains at the top

It was a quiet week for digital releases in the UK last week, which has seen some surprising games re-enter the charts.
The biggest surprise is Skate 3, the cult favourite skateboarding game that launched over ten years ago. The Xbox 360 version of the game saw a jump in sales due to a sale on Xbox Live, which took the game down to just £3.74.

Other games that re-enter the charts due to discounting includes the PC version of Shadow of the Tomb Raider (No.5), which is sold as part of a bundle with Rise of the Tomb Raider (No.10). Meanwhile, the PSN Halloween sale has caused Days Gone to re-enter the Top Ten at No.6.

Of course, the real champion of the week remains FIFA 21, which holds its No.1 position in the digital chart for a third consecutive week, just like it did in the physical chart. The game's weekly digital sales fell 40% week-on-week.

For the second week in a row, the physical version of FIFA 21 sold better than the digital version, although overall the game's sales have been primarily digital (by a large margin) following an impressive first week.
Here is the GSD Chart UK Digital for the week ending October 24th:

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
11FIFA 21
32Grand Theft Auto 5
Re-Entry3Skate 3
Re-Entry4Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
Re-Entry5Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Re-Entry6Days Gone
27Assassin's Creed Odyssey
68Star Wars Squadrons
Re-Entry9Unravel Two
Re-Entry10Rise of the Tomb Raider

Source: Game Industry

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Units or dollars?

If it's dollars, the number of copies sold must be sky high if these games are making re-entry vs. full priced games.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Last edited:
But I thought nobody cared about Backwards compatibility? Now I’m confused.
This isn’t the first time BC games have made an old game re-enter the charts either.

People try to downplay BC with stupid comments like “who even plays old games!?”. Apparently lots of people do.

Compsiox

Banned
Holy fuck.

Meanwhile I ended up playing 4000 hours of the fucking game. I was so fucking wrong.

Tbf I had tested an early build of the game and it wasn't great. Way better after release.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
What nerds on this forum don't realize is that the average gamer doesn't give a crap about a lot of the things so many here stress over screaming through their phones at other members about.

Skate 3 looks pretty enough, and it's competently made that people just wanna play a damn fine skateboarding game. People just wanna play something after a long day of working on cars, welding metal together, recycling medical waste, or working in a call center ffs

This is an awesome example of just how trapped in a bubble the average GAF member is. Step away from the internet for a while. You'll see why Series S is about to blow up. Quote me on that.

jigglet

Banned
Holy fuck.

Meanwhile I ended up playing 4000 hours of the fucking game. I was so fucking wrong.

Tbf I had tested an early build of the game and it wasn't great. Way better after release.

lol I wasn’t singling you out I just picked the first clearly negative post I could find. But yeah what a turn around. I had zero interest. Got a beta key. Thought ok why not try it, it’s free. I’m now on about 4-5,000 hours lol.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

The UK chart is actually a pretty good barometer. A region of 60 million people, third biggest market for video games.

If you made a venn diagram with USA, Europe and Australia, the UK would culturally connect all 3.

Compsiox

Banned
lol I wasn’t singling you out I just picked the first clearly negative post I could find. But yeah what a turn around. I had zero interest. Got a beta key. Thought ok why not try it, it’s free. I’m now on about 4-5,000 hours lol.
Still the best shooter out right now. I'm taking a long break now personally though.

Also that's 4000 hours in actual gameplay (not sitting in queue or the menu) :messenger_winking: . Uplay only captures actual gameplay for Siege.

Matt_Fox

What nerds on this forum don't realize is that the average gamer doesn't give a crap about a lot of the things so many here stress over screaming through their phones at other members about.

Skate 3 looks pretty enough, and it's competently made that people just wanna play a damn fine skateboarding game. People just wanna play something after a long day of working on cars, welding metal together, recycling medical waste, or working in a call center ffs

This is an awesome example of just how trapped in a bubble the average GAF member is. Step away from the internet for a while. You'll see why Series S is about to blow up. Quote me on that.

True, I wonder how many Gaffers are amongst the 164 million monthly Roblox players, or have even heard of it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
As someone who just bought and is playing Portal for the first time, seeing an interesting BC title listed in the shop (this is key — in the modern age, BC lives right alongside new content, not in a preowned GameStop rack, if findable at all) for a really good price, it’s like, why not?

It’s compelling content. The pluses and minuses are well documented after a decade or so. It may not look as good, but that’s hardly a dealbreaker if the design is interesting enough.

When you treat BC right, have it sit alongside your new content, and create this expectation that your platform is all the games you’ve ever released (ish), things like the OP can happen.

jigglet

Banned
Still the best shooter out right now. I'm taking a long break now personally though.

Also that's 4000 hours in actual gameplay (not sitting in queue or the menu) :messenger_winking: . Uplay only captures actual gameplay for Siege.

I wish I knew my real hours, I stopped keeping track when I got to 3k hours. I can't be bothered counting them as I have a PS4, PC, and until recently I had an xbox too. I played Siege on all platforms. At my peak I was probably doing 8 hours a day of Siege during week days (while holding down a full time job) and up to 12-15 hours a day on weekends. I still jump on for at least a few hours each day and have done so for 5 years.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
I wish I knew my real hours. I can't be bothered counting them as I have a PS4, PC, and until recently I had an xbox too. I played Siege on all platforms. At my peak I was probably doing 8 hours a day of Siege during week days (while holding down a full time job) and up to 12-15 hours a day on weekends. I still jump on for at least a few hours each day and have done so for 5 years.
Man I wonder how many launch vets are still around. I feel like I mostly only see lower levels these days like <= level 250. I guess a lot of them could be jumping between smurfs. I know I do.

I finally got bored this season because of map ban. Playing the same map 5 times in a row did a number on the replayability for me.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Man I wonder how many launch vets are still around. I feel like I mostly only see lower levels these days like <= level 250. I guess a lot of them could be jumping between smurfs. I know I do.

I finally got bored this season because of map ban. Playing the same map 5 times in a row did a number on the replayability for me.

This game is so sticky I think most vets are still around. Smurfing is just too hard of a problem to solve.

Map bans: I knew it was going to be trouble from day 0. Just ask anyone who has repeatedly played Nuketown or Dust 2 for the last 15 years. They should have:

1) Made it so 100% of maps are in the Ranked pool...if you can ban them, then who cares if say Plane is an option? If you don't want it, ban it. I know I'd totally up for a stupid ranked game on Plane, and / or;

2) Make it so there's a 20% chance the worst 3 maps are always put together. That way people are forced to pick between 3 choices that no one likes, so everything ends up getting some play time eventually.

Last edited:
I know a heck lot of a people who only play retro shit, like on the C64, Amiga and SNES.
And me personally, I had more fun with the stuff that happened 10 years ago on PS3 than on current consoles with its weight put on "cinematic experiences" and "open world".

A good game is a good game, regardless of when it was created.

(that said, Demon's Souls being "last gen gameplay" and therefore not a next gen game is the dumbest argument that has ever been spouted on GAF, imo. Game looks glorious, and will be a delight to play.)

Compsiox

Banned
This game is so sticky I think most vets are still around. Smurfing is just too hard of a problem to solve.

Map bans: I knew it was going to be trouble from day 0. Just ask anyone who has repeatedly played Nuketown or Dust 2 for the last 15 years. They should have:

1) Made it so 100% of maps are in the Ranked pool...if you can ban them, then who cares if say Plane is an option? If you don't want it, ban it. I know I'd totally up for a stupid ranked game on Plane, and / or;

2) Make it so there's a 20% chance the worst 3 maps are always put together. That way people are forced to pick between 3 choices that no one likes, so everything ends up getting some play time eventually.
If they see some sort of effect on playtime due to map ban I'm sure they'll change it up. No one is really being vocal about it in the community on reddit.

Really not sure if things will change.

Riky

$MSFT
360 games in the charts in 2020, what a great console, I wonder if it's the latest a game has charted from the date a console was discontinued?

v_iHuGi

Banned
Can't believe Skate 4 hasn't been announced yet lmao

Skate 3 was a huge success even pewdiepie had videos on it.

It got "announced". At least some form of skate game made by ea. If it will turn out to be skate 4 or something else remains to be seen. A substantial remaster of the first one, maybe even with a new control scheme like in the recent skateboarding simulators would be very fine by me, OG San Vanelona is the best map in an Skteboarding game ever made.

I was very surprised when Siege wasn’t a big hit right away. It seemed to have all the ingredients for it. That did change over time though. The launch was a bit messy with netcode etc, right?

Banned
Skate 3 still looks pretty good and on One X it runs at a full 4k60fps as well.

so honestly, if you want another Skateboard game and you have 100%ted THPS1+2 already, this is the best option if you are in the search for more

I honestly could see how maybe THPS1+2 and with how amazing that game is, that it renewed the interest of many in skateboarding games again.

skate 3 coule have benefitted from that THPS hype... the fact it is back compat and X enhanced also helps

Last edited:

Oppoi

Skate 3 still looks pretty good and on One X it runs at a full 4k60fps as well.

so honestly, if you want another Skateboard game and you have 100%ted THPS1+2 already, this is the best option if you are in the search for more

I do want another skateboard game Sir and I will have one of them One X to run at a full 4k60fps. Thank you sir!

Banned
Skate 3 will also be in Gamepass soon as it is part of EA Play, so, yeah... I bet that game will get quite a few Downloads.
on Series S it will also run at 1440p60 btw. and the Series X will just run it at 4K60 like the One X

back when it first became backwards compatible it also re-entered the charts I think.

Last edited:

Oppoi

Skate 3 will also be in Gamepass soon as it is part of EA Play, so, yeah... I bet that game will get quite a few Downloads.

back when it first became backwards compatible it also re-entered the charts I think.

Gamepass is the gift that keep on giving. Buy that shit. Please it's our last hope... Not desperate though! Sustainable! We have money!

Last edited:

poodaddy

True, I wonder how many Gaffers are amongst the 164 million monthly Roblox players, or have even heard of it.
I'll be honest, that game's success utterly blew me away, which just further proves that I don't know what the fuck is gonna be a success and I'm not sit here and pretend I do. I saw that shit and thought it was just shovelware that would fade into nothing, fast forward about six months and my daughter is fucking addicted to it, and I literally have to tell her turn it off after a while as she'll just sit and play it all day with her friends. I'm not sure what it is about certain games that just attract that demographic and hold them so well, but certain games just seem to get it in a way that I just don't. Minecraft, Fortnight, Roblox, stuff like that; the average "core" gamer on sites like this tend to look down on them, but they are undeniably massive successes. Just goes to show that we're all a bunch of old fogeys now and that gaming has largely moved on from us in a sense :/.

jigglet

Banned
I was very surprised when Siege wasn’t a big hit right away. It seemed to have all the ingredients for it. That did change over time though. The launch was a bit messy with netcode etc, right?

yeah at launch the game itself was fine. People bitched about there being only 10 ops per side but that was more than enough. The match making was broken as hell though. That’s what risked killing the game more than anything. Crazy thing is it took them roughly 3.5 years to sort out most issues.

Top Bottom