• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Sniper Elite 5 debuts at No.1; Horizon Forgotten West #2; Gran Turismo 7 up 109% to #5

SLB1904

Banned
Not really, when one overwhelms the other one.
If elden ring digital edition gets 84% of Xbox users, then there is no comparison.

Xbox at this point isn't a physical console. It's a digital console. Most sales would be digital.

Until we have both physical and digital sales, these physical sales means nothing for xbox users.
Fair enough. If xbox users don't care its fine. But isn't the same for other users

reksveks

Im comparing boxed elden ring to boxed Sniper Elite 5 since we don't have physical and digital SE5 yet. Im happy to compare them both when we have both splits.

But for now, being on Gamepass, the physical split is dramatically reduced to 8%.

Then you probably should have said "Gamepass indeed affecting boxed game purchases?" instead of

Gamepass indeed affecting game purchases?

But again, I can find an example of a game like Stangers of Paradise which the console split was similar to Sniper Elite 5 despite it not being on GP. This is not how you control for GP or not impacting sales, there are too many variables that are changing.

yazenov

Sniper Elite is not the same level as elden ring.
These type of games, usually gets sold more on digital, even without gamepass.
That is the nature for these games.
The physical copies would be limited, compared to digital copies.

Plus gamepass has 30% of Xbox users. You have 70% of their users not subscribed to the service.

It would be an issue, if gamepass is 60% to 70% of Xbox users. Until then, it won't affect Xbox sales.

Remember gamepass is on pc and console. That is 25m userbase. Xbox has more than 50m users (shared consoles helps). With PC users in the mix, it won't reach half of 40% of Xbox userbase.

As I said, it will be interesting to compare the split ratio of software sales of PS and Xbox when factoring in day 1 sales of a game being on Gamepass.

We already know that Gamepass changed the ratio of boxed sales of a third party game with a small sample size such as Elden ring (17%) and Sniper Elite (8%)

Now we will wait for the combined sales of physical + digital of Sniper Elite 5 and compare the ratio with PS if Gamepass reduces the ratio or increase it. We shall see.

It's interesting how people see the impact of Gamepass as a negative, while it's a win for both Microsoft and the 3rd party publisher (in this case for Sniper Elite 5). The only party who loses out is the retail middle man.

yazenov

Then you probably should have said "Gamepass indeed affecting boxed game purchases?" instead of

But again, I can find an example of a game like Stangers of Paradise which the console split was similar to Sniper Elite 5 despite it not being on GP. This is not how you control for GP or not impacting sales, there are too many variables that are changing.

True, Stangers in Paradise is not a good comparison since Jrpgs tend to sell less on Xbox due to the audience.

However, Sniper Elite 5 being an FPS should cater to the Xbox user base and should in theory be a more favorable split for Xbox.

And its obvious i was talking about boxed sales since we are in a boxed sales thread.

kingfey

Banned
As I said, it will be interesting to compare the split ratio of software sales of PS and Xbox when factoring in day 1 sales of a game being on Gamepass.

We already know that Gamepass changed the ratio of boxed sales of a third party game with a small sample size such as Elden ring (17%) and Sniper Elite (8%)

Now we will wait for the combined sales of physical + digital of Sniper Elite 5 and compare the ratio with PS if Gamepass reduces the ratio or increase it. We shall see.
I already told you, gamepass is not the cause. People prefer digital sales.

Elden ring isn't a gamepass game. Plus it has more value as boxed, compared to Sniper Elite 5.

Boxed copies depends on the value for the user, and how much copies the devs made.
Digital has no limit, so they tend to be higher.

The pandemic caused the acceleration of digital sales.

Remember, ganepass is 30% of Xbox users. And some of those gamepass users would also buy the game.

So no, gamepass is not the cause. Because that is not possible, in logical way.

Until gamepass has higher than 60% of Xbox users, it won't affect their sales that much.

Also, PS vs Xbox sales are different. The userbase between those 2 changes the equation. Any higher sale, would be on the difference between the userbase. From sales perspective, Xbox can't reach 80% of PS sales. Its impossible.

Helghan

Are we blaming covid for this? Please explain how covid influences how Gamepass impacts game sales... I'll wait.
In 2018 Game Pass subscription numbers were maybe a couple of million. Those gamers played a game that was on Game Pass and friends who didn't have game pass might buy it since his friend was playing it and liked it. That is literally what Spencer said that he saw happening, word of mouth resulted in higher game sales.

Now Game Pass has +25 million subscriptions, most of them on Xbox (assumption on my end). But it's not like there are 100 million Xbox gamers so less room for word of mouth sales like there was before. Obviously this means that there currently will be less sales for Xbox.

I think that's completely logical, and as long as those gamers spend more money in-game, the developer won't have an issue with it. Since they are also being paid by the number of players in Game Pass. Physical stores might not like this though.

Most importantly, no lies, no conspiracy.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Fair enough. If xbox users don't care its fine. But isn't the same for other users
The other userbase has higher amount of numbers.

If class A has 100 student, and class B has 50 students, then both classes won't buy the same notebook numbers.

If class B uses laptops, then they would buy less notebooks.

That is the law of economics. Until both classes have equal students, the class with higher numbers would always win.

This is the same for xbox and PS. PS having more userbase would always give them higher sales, than Xbox. That is fact. Gamepass doesn't change that.

Xbox would need to match PS users to show the affect, until then, it won't give us the proper data, which would show us gamepass affect.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

If class A has 100 student, and class B has 50 students, then both classes won't buy the same notebook numbers.

That is the law of economics. Until both classes have equal students, the class with higher numbers would always win.

This is the same for xbox and PS. PS having more userbase would always give them higher sales, than Xbox. That is fact. Gamepass doesn't change that.

Xbox would need to match PS users to show the affect, until then, it won't give us the proper data, which would show us gamepass affect.
I must use that rationale when defending my Vita against the 3DS. If you ignore sales it's 50/50

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I would support 3ds on this case. Sorry Vita, but that split screen is unbeatable.
But you can't deny that a higher percentage of Vita sales were digital. So of you multiply Vita sales out to 3DS units, the Vita wipes the floor with it.
Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
But you can't deny that a higher percentage of Vita sales were digital. So of you multiply Vita sales out to 3DS units, the Vita wipes the floor with it.
Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends
That would have been great, if some company didn't introduce the worse version for a memory card.

Vita was backstabbed by his creator. It had so much potential.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How is it over priced? It’s the price of a console, and the price of a game. In the UK it’s only £499 for the bundle, so £49 for the game when the RRP of a game is £69.
Exactly.

TIL buying a game with a console is overpricing the products...

If you wanna see overpriced bundles look at Newegg or AntOnline. Hell, probably Gamestop too.

Swift_Star

Banned

Still spouting this BS I see.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
That’s pure BS. Games sold more on PS even when there were more x360 than PS3s out there.
Most Games also sell more on PS than on PC. It’s a simple fact that ps gamers spend more money on game.
Anything else is BS.
I hope you noticed the sarcasm.

Stuart360

That’s pure BS. Games sold more on PS even when there were more x360 than PS3s out there.
Most Games also sell more on PS than on PC. It’s a simple fact that ps gamers spend more money on game.
Anything else is BS.
Thats actually not true at all. The vast majority of multiplatform games sold more on 360 than PS3. I mean thats just fact and you can research that yourself. Unless you were talking about PS3 exclusives, which i'm sure sold well on PS3.

This guy loves to talk shit about a console he doesn't own or like. Atleast try to APPEAR like you aren't a fanboy. With that said, Broncos are trash! 😂

Currently playing Sniper Elite 5 on Gamepass. 🥂
Please don't be upset, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I was just commenting on the contents of the thread, what is the point of creating any thread if we are not going to discuss things?

Only a true fanboy would think that someone not liking their favorite console or not seeing things the same way is out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Please don't be upset, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I was just commenting on the contents of the thread, what is the point of creating any thread if we are not going to discuss things?

Only a true fanboy would think that someone not liking their favorite console or not seeing things the same way is out of the ordinary.
Using minor info, to fuel your gamepass hatred would be the issue first.

MScarpa

Look kid, I play on all platforms and as of right now, I am enjoying my PS5 more than my Series X and S. (R&C) So not sure why you're calling me a fanboy. I guess it's your default response, and that's okay, but you don't hurt MY feelings at all. I'm a grown woman with kids. The console wars are silly BUT entertaining nonetheless.

Point is, You should try and be open minded about topics and discussions and maybe if you didn't trash the competition every chance you get, people might take you seriously for a change, instead of being a fanboy. And maybe, just MAYBE you'll realize how lucky we all are to enjoy this amazing hobby. Or keep fighting the good fight and learn nothing. The choice is yours. 😉

mansoor1980

really happy for the success of playstation and sony , 30 million ps5 consoles sold is the next target , do it JIMBO , the momentum must be maintained.

Look kid, I play on all platforms and as of right now, I am enjoying my PS5 more than my Series X and S. (R&C) So not sure why you're calling me a fanboy. I guess it's your default response, and that's okay, but you don't hurt MY feelings at all. I'm a grown woman with kids. The console wars are silly BUT entertaining nonetheless.

Point is, You should try and be open minded about topics and discussions and maybe if you didn't trash the competition every chance you get, people might take you seriously for a change, instead of being a fanboy. And maybe, just MAYBE you'll realize how lucky we all are to enjoy this amazing hobby. Or keep fighting the good fight and learn nothing. The choice is yours. 😉
What are you talking about old lady? You were the one quoting me, calling me a fanboy out of nowhere instead of contributing to the discussion at hand (on a thread about sales). Miss me with all this kum ba yah stuff... as if these companies were doing me a favor by lying to me.

What do I need to be open minded about? Open minded about falling for blatant PR spins? As I've said before, if my criticism bothers you so much, it's your problem not mine.

Do I like MS? No, not really, so what? If they made more games or products I liked that wouldn't be the case... how is that my fault? At the very least they could be honest about their shortcomings instead trying to push false narratives for years. Nobody takes Sony at their word (justifiably so) and no one should take MS at theirs either.

Last edited:
I mean, your rebuttal is an article on a game that sold clearly better on Playstation then PC? Weird choice, but you do youI.
Edit :By the way, the article also contain this little quote that really help your argument : "Interestingly enough, in terms of revenue generated through microtransactions and DLC, the PS4 version comes out far ahead, have generated over $8 million as opposed to the $500k on PC."

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
The first page of this thread is an embarrassment. Same fanboys from from both sides.

EviLore EviLore Why do we have to click on a thread before we can put them on ignore? It removes the temptation to read though the cringeworthy 1st page.... Even though you know that you will lose braincells by doing so

kingfey

Banned
I mean, your rebuttal is an article on a game that sold clearly better on Playstation then PC? Weird choice, but you do youI.
Edit :By the way, the article also contain this little quote that really help your argument : "Interestingly enough, in terms of revenue generated through microtransactions and DLC, the PS4 version comes out far ahead, have generated over $8 million as opposed to the $500k on PC."
The game was launched on pc after 6 months of Ps launch.

As per leaked sales data shared by @AsteriskAmpers1 on Twitter, the action RPG has sold more on PC so far than it has on the PS4 (or on the Xbox One), which is a bit of a surprise, considering the fact that it launched on PC roughly half a year after it did on consoles. The game has sold over 5.7 million units on PC outside of Japan, while on PS4 it has sold over 5.5 million units. On Xbox One, the game has sold over 1.7 million units.

If they launched on the same day, PC would have outsold it, mostly because of the day1 sales.

Japan PC is still weak, which helps the console. But again, this mainly due to day1 on consoles and half a year on pc.

As for mtx and dlc, first worms helps alot, as pc was still selling during that time.

The game was launched on pc after 6 months of Ps launch.

If they launched on the same day, PC would have outsold it, mostly because of the day1 sales.

Japan PC is still weak, which helps the console. But again, this mainly due to day1 on consoles and half a year on pc.

As for mtx and dlc, first worms helps alot, as pc was still selling during that time.
It's an article published more then 2 years after the game has been published on Steam, so, please, look for a better excuse for selling 1/16 of the DLC. Between, Iceborne was published only 3 months later on PC and, with 1 year of sales, it sold half of what it sold on PS

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
It's an article published more then 2 years afterthe game has been published on Steam, so, pleas, look for a better excuse for selling 1/16 of the DLC. Between, Iceborne was published only 3 months later on PC and, with 1 year of sales, it sold half of what it sold on PS
Did you ignore the initial 6 month gap?

If PC had day1, it wouldn't have sold that much for the dlc. It would have sold better.

Dlc sales are very strong for day1 people, compared to late buyers.

Plus the game sales performed much better outside of japan, which is crazy considering the 6 month gap.

Unless that info isn't important to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom