• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Sniper Elite 5 debuts at No.1; Horizon Forgotten West #2; Gran Turismo 7 up 109% to #5

Sniper Elite 5 sold mostly on PlayStation in physical form, with just 8% of sales coming on Xbox platforms. This will be the result of the game's inclusion in the Xbox Game Pass subscription service.
Last week's No.1, Horizon Forbidden West, drops to No.2 this week after a 33% slide in sales. The game continues to sell strongly alongside PS5 hardware. The highest riser this week is also a PS5 game: Gran Turismo 7, which is up five places to No.5 after a 109% sales bump.

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
New Entry1Sniper Elite 5
12Horizon Forbidden West
23Nintendo Switch Sports
34Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
105Gran Turismo 7
56FIFA 22
47Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
58Pokémon Legends: Arceus
69Minecraft (Switch Edition)
910Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Source
(pm me on how to embed urls in a decent way cause i have no idea, lol)

PS5 keeps getting that stock with Horizon still at #2 despite a 33% decrease in sales and even Gran Turismo 7 getting that bump.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks like they ruined the GT series, according to some in another thread.
Jeremy Clarkson Smile GIF by DriveTribe

People keep saying the Horizon jump is only due to bundles... But the official bundle only includes a code and this is for physical games. Doesn't add up, seems people are actually buying the game with the console to me.
This is...actually true and i didn't realize this last week. Only when a friend told me he only got a code, not the physical copy.

So what is the truth?

elliot5

8% on Xbox? :messenger_confounded:

So much for the PR narrative that Gamepass increases game sales...
it has literally never been the case that game pass increases the sales of the game featured on game pass, especially on the xbox platform. And this happens every time in UK physical sales where the split ends up more "balanced" when digital sales are accounted for.

Last edited:

Belthazar

This is...actually true and i didn't realize this last week. Only when a friend told me he only got a code, not the physical copy.

So what is the truth?

I think the truth is that the game is doing extremely well and people are probably buying it with their PS5s... It's also the go to game for a lot of people that just finished Elden Ring. I personally know a few people who decided to wait until after they were finished with ER before buying Horizon.

Last edited:
It's just physical sales.
It's just an observation based on public information. I find it interesting that no matter how many times we get evidence that Gamepass doesn't improve the sales of games it it's never enough, there is always some excuse.

it has literally never been the case that game pass increases the sales of the game featured on game pass, especially on the xbox platform. And this happens every time in UK physical sales where the split ends up more "balanced" when digital sales are accounted for.
That is not what MS PR and gamepass evangelists told me.

Last edited:

elliot5

People keep saying the Horizon jump is only due to bundles... But the official bundle only includes a code and this is for physical games. Doesn't add up, seems people are actually buying the game with the console to me.
This isn't the first time PS5 bundles led to a game increasing. This has happened plenty of times before with Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and pre-boxart HFW bundles from retailers. It's still a game sold from a retail store hence the sale counting as physical. What's not counted are PSN direct sales. I'm sure there's people still buying the game separately if they snagged a solo PS5 from somewhere or are late to the party.

The Gamepass effect.

Its usually 20 % to 30% for Xbox physical. 8% is a new record low.

Its not looking good for Xbox at retail.
Turns out the most obvious implications of this type of business model were true after all, no wonder MS never publicly gave any numbers of game sales since they started to lean on Gamepass, the numbers must be brutal.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Just like Miles Morales, here in the UK, Horizon Forbidden West sales are linked to PS5 stock availability.

Helghan

You are taking it out of context. Nowhere did Microsoft say that a person subscribed to Game Pass will also buy the game that's already on Game Pass... They said Game Pass subscribers spend more money in-game than non-subscribers, and are more likely to buy the game once it's not on Game Pass anymore.

SLB1904

Banned
You are taking it out of context. Nowhere did Microsoft say that a person subscribed to Game Pass will also buy the game that's already on Game Pass... They said Game Pass subscribers spend more money in-game than non-subscribers, and are more likely to buy the game once it's not on Game Pass anymore.
Doubt

Yes xbox got physical in uk. It just don't sell. You can't hide your salt behind your yawn as much as you like but that's a fact

Last edited:
Hum... thanks, but I rather come up with my own conclusions instead of taking PR spins as gospel without any numbers to back it up.

I bet inactive Xbox consoles are counted against the numbers of non-subscribers, that comparison never made any sense outside of being a PR attempt at distort reality, most active Xbox consoles are going to be Gamepass subscribers anyway. If gamepass increased Gamesales devs wouldn't ask for money to put their games on the service, they would be losing money by not including it there.

Including a game on Gamepass is never going to boost it's sales (unless we are talking about extremely obscure titles that benefit from any visibility), it's the simple truth of the matter, we need to move beyond that and not fall for old PR tactics. It's a completely absurd assumption to begging with.

Last edited:

Helghan

Hum... thanks, but I rather come up with my own conclusions instead of taking PR spins as gospel without any numbers to back it up.

I bet inactive Xbox consoles are counted against the numbers of non-subscribers, that comparison never made any sense outside of being a PR attempt at distort reality, most active Xbox consoles are going to be Gamepass subscribers anyway.

Including a game on Gamepass is never going to boost it's sales, it's the simple truth of the matter, we need to move beyond that and not fall for old PR tactics.
I'm not taking their PR as gospel, I'm merely saying that way you said isn't what their PR said. You are just making stuff up.

Or you could show me where Microsoft said that a video game sold more copies while actively being on Game Pass.

Zeroing

Banned

DSaYQQI.gif

Objection: Hearsay, leading.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's just an observation based on public information. I find it interesting that no matter how many times we get evidence that Gamepass doesn't improve the sales of games it it's never enough, there is always some excuse.

I find Spencer's statement on the idea that Gamepass increases a game's sales pretty BS myself...

But the UK box charts are a bit of a joke, because Xbox gamers have a much higher rate of buying digital.

Just logically... Gamepass gamers are probably digital buyers... so a game launching on GP probably isn't going to effect box sales.

Last edited:
I'm not taking their PR as gospel, I'm merely saying that way you said isn't what their PR said. You are just making stuff up.

Or you could show me where Microsoft said that a video game sold more copies while actively being on Game Pass.

"When you put a game like Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass, you instantly have more players of the game, which is actually leading to more sales of the game," he said.

I ain't got time to look up how many similar statements were made but this narrative was pushed for years by MS and their fans and it was always pure BS. Any wild PR claim that isn't back up by public numbers is a lie pretty much all the time that's pretty much what corporate PR is all about.

Last edited:

Helghan

"When you put a game like Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass, you instantly have more players of the game, which is actually leading to more sales of the game," he said.

I ain't got time to look up how many similar statements were made but this narrative was pushed for years by MS and their fans and it was always pure BS. Any wild PR claim that isn't back up by public numbers is a lie pretty much all the time that's pretty much what corporate PR is all about.
2018... When Game Pass wasn't as big as it was now.

Top Bottom