• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Annual - 67% of Games Sold were on Digital - Best Selling Hardware Switch, PS5, PS4

Rolla

Banned
Hardware
1 Switch
2 PS5
3 PS4

11/12 Months Switch was the best selling HW

1) 3.16 million games machines (All HW) were sold in 2020
2) Switch sales are up 52.2% last year compared with 2019, which offset the 35.3% drop for PS4 and the 42.3% drop for Xbox One.
3)The second best-selling console of 2020 was the PlayStation 5, despite only being on sale since mid-November (and with Sony struggling to supply the demand). The PS5 very narrowly outsold the PS4, which is in third position

SW -
1)In terms of purely retail sales, PS4 was still No.1 with a 37.4% market share, but Nintendo Switch was close behind with 35.1%.
2)At digital sales, PS4 had a 41% market share, ahead of Xbox One's 26%.

Top 20 Physical + Digital

• Position Title
  • 1 FIFA 21 (EA)
  • 2 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
  • 3 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
  • 4 FIFA 20 (EA)
  • 5 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
  • 6 Animal Crossing: New Horizons* (Nintendo)
  • 7 Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
  • 8 The Last of Us Part 2 (Sony)
  • 9 NBA 2K20 (2K Games)
  • 10 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)
  • 11 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
  • 12 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe* (Nintendo)
  • 13 Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
  • 14 Monopoly Plus (Ubisoft)
  • 15 Marvel's Avengers (Square Enix)
  • 16 Ghost of Tsushima (Sony)
  • 17 Cyberpunk 2077 (Bandai Namco/CD Projekt)*
  • 18 Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft)
  • 19 Minecraft (Microsoft)
  • 20 Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (EA)
More here:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
r'uh r'oh i upset the oldies.

get over it. digital is the future.

Where do people like this come from? Being happy that you are surrending your own consumer rights because you are too lazy to swap a disc ?
it goes beyond being too lazy to swap as disc.

most games need patches these days so really what is the point of buying physical discs? you can keep your physical discs as long as you want but as soon as the servers go down for digital games then you're fucked for your patches. most games are unfinished/broken with whats just on the disc.

physical discs are absolute waste of plastic/paper.

don't use shitty internet speeds/caps as an excuse. that's on YOU and your country. not sony/ms/nintendo/steam, etc.

nah. If people want collect (i don't), then let them.
plus being able to resell is nice

there is no point collecting anymore. see above

Can't wait until I play two hours of a PS6 game to discover I don't like it and I'm stuck with it forever. Sounds amazing. I love getting fisted in the ass, too.

maybe don't be an idiot and buy a game without reading reviews/watching gameplay. don't preorder. refunds aren't an issue on PC. if you're playing on console then take up lack of refunds with Sony/MS/Nintendo.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
lets get it to 100%

physical needs to die.

PFM2hcl.png

🤔

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
maybe don't be an idiot and buy a game without reading reviews/watching gameplay. don't preorder. refunds aren't an issue on PC. if you're playing on console then take up lack of refunds with Sony/MS/Nintendo.

Ahh yes, the old "just watch the gameplay". I can really tell if I like how a game feels to play from some shill on Youtube. And precisely, it's fine on PC, but if PS6 has no disc reader and no refund option, I'm good, I'd rather not lube my ass up for my corporate daddies. If you want to, that's your prerogative.

Roufianos

most games need patches these days so really what is the point of buying physical discs? you can keep your physical discs as long as you want but as soon as the servers go down for digital games then you're fucked for your patches. most games are unfinished/broken with whats just on the disc.

don't use shitty internet speeds/caps as an excuse. that's on YOU and your country. not sony/ms/nintendo/steam, etc.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Not even worth countering this idiot. Got to be a parody?

Where do people like this come from? Being happy that you are surrending your own consumer rights because you are too lazy to swap a disc ?
No one got major issues with it for music or films, what the big issue for games?. I much rather the ease and convenience of Digital games these days

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Can't wait until I play two hours of a PS6 game to discover I don't like it and I'm stuck with it forever. Sounds amazing. I love getting fisted in the ass, too.
Have better buying judgement.

Have been digital the last ten years, I never regretted a game that I bought.

Last edited:

Zero7

GTA V still hovers around the top of the charts, pretty incredible for a game that came out almost 8yrs ago

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Have better buying judgement.

Have been digital the last ten years, I never regretted a game that I bought.

Good for you, but for all anyone here knows, you might only actually buy a handful of games a year. I rarely ever regret game purchases, but on console, right now I don't even really need to think about it. A good recent example would be The Last of Us 2. Enjoyed the first game, without spoiling myself on the story the sequel looked like more of the same, stellar critic review across the board. Why not.

Played it back to front and didn't enjoy it whatsoever. But because it was on a disc, it went straight on eBay and cost me something like £7 total for the "rental". Contrast that with the £50 I'd be down to have a game I never, ever want to play again tied to me account. No. Be my guest and go all-digital on consoles if you like, but wishing it away prematurely while you still have the option is fucking retarded.

The_Mike

Good for you, but for all anyone here knows, you might only actually buy a handful of games a year. I rarely ever regret game purchases, but on console, right now I don't even really need to think about it. A good recent example would be The Last of Us 2. Enjoyed the first game, without spoiling myself on the story the sequel looked like more of the same, stellar critic review across the board. Why not.

Played it back to front and didn't enjoy it whatsoever. But because it was on a disc, it went straight on eBay and cost me something like £7 total for the "rental". Contrast that with the £50 I'd be down to have a game I never, ever want to play again tied to me account. No. Be my guest and go all-digital on consoles if you like, but wishing it away prematurely while you still have the option is fucking retarded.
Yes, I only buy a handful of games per year, since I'm an online gamer mostly. But when I played serious xbox One from release to a few years ago I managed to get around 400 games on it.

I never recall regretting any of them, and there's refund policy on digital games anyway.

I rarely buy games on release so I know I don't buy a game that sucks.
That’s incredible foresight to know you’ll want to keep every purchase forever
I'm a collector.

I sold my 200 Xbox 360 games back then to buy a PC, still regret it to this day. Actually I try to find the titles again and buy them back because I feel like I'm losing my game library.

Soodanim

Yes, I only buy a handful of games per year, since I'm an online gamer mostly. But when I played serious xbox One from release to a few years ago I managed to get around 400 games on it.

I never recall regretting any of them, and there's refund policy on digital games anyway.

I rarely buy games on release so I know I don't buy a game that sucks.

I'm a collector.

I sold my 200 Xbox 360 games back then to buy a PC, still regret it to this day. Actually I try to find the titles again and buy them back because I feel like I'm losing my game library.
I hear that, and for every multi-plat I had for console I sold the physical then bought it on Steam in a sale. But when it comes to consoles I still like the option of selling. Ultimately I think it depends massively on your habits as a consumer. Some people have a rapid turnover of single player games they’ll only play once.

If I went back to console I’d absolutely want discs for the option of selling, although some games I would happily buy digitally.

The_Mike

I hear that, and for every multi-plat I had for console I sold the physical then bought it on Steam in a sale. But when it comes to consoles I still like the option of selling. Ultimately I think it depends massively on your habits as a consumer. Some people have a rapid turnover of single player games they’ll only play once.

If I went back to console I’d absolutely want discs for the option of selling, although some games I would happily buy digitally.
I understand that, or, I get the idea. I just don't get why you would trade 2 brand new games and still pay a little for one new. Probably cheaper in other countries, but thats what gamestop did in my country before they closed entirely.

Buying digital has its benefits though. When both me and my gf played on xbox we got a copy each because of digital game share, making its incredibly cheaper than buying two copies.

I know not everyone has that possibility, but there are benefits of buying digital.

sircaw

Banned
If i had got hold of a ps5 those numbers would have been doubled.

fucking Scalpers need to DIE.

there is no point collecting anymore. see above

Ironic that you call others idiots, yet you dont understand the obvious reason to buy physical games:

Resell value
Trade value
Borrow value
Buying used for cheap soon after the launch

Everybody should know these reasons, yet you dont

Hezekiah

Banned
Damn, UK used to be the main territory for Xbox in Europe. Where did our green team friends go ?
PS5 has unreal demand here. I don't think Xbox has ever been particular popular other than in the 360 era, but certainly this time round it's noticeable how much PS5 talk there is compared to the other consoles.

Moogle11

Banned
There's no need for less choice and alternatives.
This.

Physical, digtal purchases, digital services like Gamepass and streaming/cloud services can all co-exist. Just like with movies and music where you can still buy physical, rent physical, buy digital or stream. Publishers just want to get money from as many types of consumers as possible and choice is good for us.

I couldn’t care less about owning games, or especially about collecting them as I rarely replay and hate clutter. But I still like physical as an option as most games I’m going to blow through in a week or two and being frugal I’d rather buy physical and recoup a good chunk of cost on eBay or Amazon after I’m done.

Top Bottom