• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA Champions League and PlayStation® Renew Partnership until 2024

Europe locked as Sonyland ‘til 2024 confirmed!

Guy-Laurent Epstein, UEFA marketing director

PlayStation has been a valued partner of the UEFA Champions League for more than 23 years, so I am delighted that we are able to celebrate a three-year extension to our relationship. UEFA’s long-term partnerships with innovative brands like PlayStation are invaluable to UEFA in promoting our competitions globally, and in particular in the digital space, so we look forward to continuing our relationship as we enter a new UEFA Champions League cycle.”

Eric Lempel, senior vice-president and head of global marketing at Sony Interactive Entertainment

“We have enjoyed a strong collaborative relationship with the UEFA Champions League for over 23 years, delivering unique football experiences to our community of PlayStation fans around the world. Football is integral to the PlayStation DNA, and we know many of our gamers are as passionate about football as we are. We look forward to our continued partnership and the excitement of the upcoming 2021-24 cycle.”

Send me to the early shower if old.

supernova8

Banned
Eric Lempel, senior vice-president and head of global marketing at Sony Interactive Entertainment

“We have enjoyed a strong collaborative relationship with the UEFA Champions League for over 23 years, delivering unique football experiences to our community of PlayStation fans around the world. Football is integral to the PlayStation DNA, and we know many of our gamers are as passionate about football as we are. We look forward to our continued partnership and the excitement of the upcoming 2021-24 cycle.”

Send me to the early shower if old.
Weird I don't remember them developing or publishing a football game since World Tour Soccer 2 on the PSP.

Weird I don't remember them developing or publishing a football game since World Tour Soccer 2 on the PSP.
They probably make more money from FIFA microtransactions than a lot of their own games generate so want people to buy on Playstation each year and the sponsorship surely helps.

supernova8

Banned
They probably make more money from FIFA microtransactions than a lot of their own games generate so want people to buy on Playstation each year and the sponsorship surely helps.

Yeah fair play (no pun intended). I always did find that I liked FIFA controls on the Xbox One controller more than PS4, though........

Markio128

Slightly off topic, but I received a code for early access to Fifa22 last night, so I’m looking forward to trying it out on the PS5 later. I think there is full access to the career mode, so that’s pretty cool.

supernova8

Banned
Sony shipping all PS5s to the UK is another hint that they're heavily going for those FIFA players.
I could be wrong but I think the UK was in Microsoft's hands back in the 360 era (or at least it felt like that). I swear everyone I knew had a 360, and it was only the select few "hip" kids who had a PS3. They won't want to lose the UK as a market.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yeah fair play (no pun intended). I always did find that I liked FIFA controls on the Xbox One controller more than PS4, though........

The dualshock has been the standard controller for football games since the PS1, but personal preferences aside, football crowd community (Fifa/Pes) is huge on Playstation when compared to Xbox, it's not even in the same stratosphere.

Great Hair

Banned
Hopefully PSG gets booted by then ...
U = universally
E = economically
F = fattened
A = Arseholes
trash GIF
Cat Lol GIF by Cartoon Hangover

reksveks

I could be wrong but I think the UK was in Microsoft's hands back in the 360 era (or at least it felt like that). I swear everyone I knew had a 360, and it was only the select few "hip" kids who had a PS3. They won't want to lose the UK as a market.
Only the start of the x360 gen and then it went ps3 and especially ps4 once you had a console that could play cod and fifa for 100 quid cheaper.

supernova8

Banned
The dualshock has been the standard controller for football games since the PS1, but personal preferences aside, football crowd community (Fifa/Pes) is huge on Playstation when compared to Xbox, it's not even in the same stratosphere.
Yeah I think I just don't like the DS4. I thought the Xbox One controller has been the best so far (haven't tried Dual Sense so cannot comment), just a shame about the lack of games on Xbox One at the time.

reksveks

Microsoft needs to find a way to break hold of the fifa and cod hold that Sony has.

Bogof ultimate team cards or something like that.

supernova8

Banned
Only the start of the x360 gen and then it went ps3 and especially ps4 once you had a console that could play cod and fifa for 100 quid cheaper.

I dunno I had FIFA on PS4 and then I played it on my mate's Xbox and all the input lag I was experiencing immediately vanished. Maybe he just had a more responsive TV or something. I'll never know :D

Last edited:

reksveks

I dunno I had FIFA on PS4 and then I played it on my mate's Xbox and all the input lag I was experiencing immediately vanished. Maybe he just had a more responsive TV or something. I'll never know :D
You were the 'fussy' one I think, he might have been a bit more lax with it.

I only recently got into xbox so it's all second hand whispers to me.

Hopefully PSG gets booted by then ...
U = universally
E = economically
F = fattened
A = Arseholes
trash GIF
Cat Lol GIF by Cartoon Hangover
I wouldn’t blame UEFA, they had to concede to almighty dollar like everyone else. PSG and Man City are essentially club-countries, one owned by Qatar, other by UAE. They shit money and don’t have to explain to their people what they do with it because “their people” are basically few ultra rich families.

Who can compete with that? Not even Barcelona (well, they almost drove themselves to bankruptcy) or RMadrid. No one has that money. Yea, Abramovich with Putin’s backing can also do some big business but that’s it. Even Jewish owners are humbled 😄

reksveks

The financial regulations of the ESL was the only good thing, hope the other leagues implement a proper wage/income cap but won't help for the likes of City's whose owners can just write inflated sponsorship deals from other companies.

Top Bottom