• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft working on new Battle Royale named Pathfinder...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

-Pathfinder appears to be a slightly different take on a Battle Royale, where a team of four players will drop into the map and find their path towards the center to fight the main AI boss.

-Players need to navigate their way through two walls (an outer wall and an inner wall) that have a series of gates around them that can be breachable. The catch? Different gates are breachable or locked every single game, making each game different in terms of the path you need to navigate.

-In order to get to the middle of the map, players will need to fight AI enemies to level up and get stronger, with AI getting noticeably more difficult the further toward the middle of the map you get.

-Presumably, the game will be PvPvE, as you’ll be dropping into the map with other players, so the AI will not be your only threat.

-Players are called ‘Heroes’, with each having their own unique abilities.

A Battle Royale aficionados take:

- Power growth curve is vital in BR.
- Asymetric gameplay is likely the natural evolution of the genre.
- If the pathfinding, or charting your course aspect is meaty enough, it could be interesting. All great narrative has protagonists deciding on their ideal path.
- Sounds like they're learning from the mistakes HyperScape made.

Last edited:
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Shmunter

Looks like a Fortnite / Hyperscape meld.

Hyperscape being a flop. I think it needs to be Tom Clancy’s Pathfinder.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Give UBI credit.

I don't know which game of theirs first featured a gun, but looks like whomever is in charge has experience with economies of scale or something because aside from Just Dance and AC, it seems every game is a similar game engine with the same gunplay.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
1. Trend exiting genre: check
2. A name so generic it's already been used for decade by other game
3. An art direction and set-up as generic
4. Learning nothing from HyperScape and every other mistakes they've made like...
5. NFT
6. There's a reason BR's don't have AI ennemies, not that it doesn't work but that nobody succeeded

Boycott everything this company says or do FFS

Don Carlo

If some Ubisoft developers remain frustrated and confused by the company's NFT push, they're also not all sold on its countless swings to recreate the live-service success of Rainbow Six Siege. Despite colorful battle royale Hyper Scape bombing, the company's ongoing live-service shooters include not just Ghost Recon Frontline but also The Division Heartland, Xdefiant, and the recently reported project, Pathfinder. Described as a battle royale that pits players against AI-controlled enemies and one another, one source who corroborated its existence for Kotaku said they weren't sure it would ever even come out.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ubisoft is just weapons-grade retarded at this point.

How can you have such a rich portfolio of classic and legendary IP's and end up churning out nothing but live service garbage? I'm so tired of this shit.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
6. There's a reason BR's don't have AI ennemies, not that it doesn't work but that nobody succeeded

Fortnite uses AI enemies. It allows developers to craft more unique experiences in a PvP setting.

PvEvP is going to be everywhere pretty soon.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wonder if that's an internal name. I can't see them being able to keep it. There's already two games based on the pen and paper RPG. Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous with the latter being released just last fall.

Edit: Oop, I see that's already been discussed above.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hard pass going by that image (if it has anything to do with the game). Hate that style.

But also, hard pass either way.

Barakov

Gold Member
I guess they have enough money that they can keep throwing ideas at the wall until something sticks. Honestly, I just want it to fail just because how into NFTs Ubisoft is.

You grind in this game for a rare drop NFT which you can sell for big bucks and works in a "Premium" title.
So even if it sucks, you have a chance to win big.. "Keep playing... Keep paying... Keep ubisofting.."

Zeroing

Banned
Ubisoft is just weapons-grade retarded at this point.

How can you have such a rich portfolio of classic and legendary IP's and end up churning out nothing but live service garbage? I'm so tired of this shit.
Between the NTFs and this are we even sure they are in touch with what their consumer target wants? Nope

Someone give me a hint of hope that the gaming industry will get a little better, just a little, I need to believe! Because it is just me or things are getting worse, very fast?

Shmunter

Between the NTFs and this are we even sure they are in touch with what their consumer target wants? Nope

Someone give me a hint of hope that the gaming industry will get a little better, just a little, I need to believe! Because it is just me or things are getting worse, very fast?
With even Sony chasing the GaaS gravy, what hope do we have? Next,

Ubisoft Hardpass (tm) Everything you don’t want, and aren’t willing to pay for, under the one subscription.

Top Bottom