• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft will show Far Cry 6 on PS4 and Xbox One to avoid a Cyberpunk 2077 situation, "We really aim to target maximum quality on all platforms"

Though Far Cry 6 will take advantage of the power of new consoles, Ubisoft won’t abandon the millions of existing owners of last-gen machines.

Far Cry 6‘s impressive visuals were one of the few things that stood out at the game’s gameplay reveal on Friday. But good graphics can often leave owners of PS4 and Xbox One worried, and they have a damn good reason to.

Far Cry 6 is, of course, far from the only big open world game that will be releasing on both console generations. Cyberpunk 2077’s disastrous launch on PS4 and Xbox One still stings for the many who are now being more cautious when getting excited about upcoming games.

Ubisoft recognises this, and plans to show the game running on PS4 and Xbox One. Ubisoft Toronto’s David Grivel told VGC that while Far Cry 6 will be pushing PS5 and Xbox Series X, the developer wants to make sure it runs well on PS4 and Xbox One as well.

“As we go in the next few weeks and months, we’ll definitely start showing more on different platforms,” Grivel said.

“What I can say, and I cannot go so much in details about specs or things like that, is that both on previous generation and the new Xbox Series and PS5 generation, the game is running fine.”

When asked whether the team broadly expects last-gen versions to suffer from any issues, Grivel explained, “No. We really aim to target maximum quality on all of these platforms.”

“We’re really, really cautious about that, so we’ll show more detail and more info very soon,” he added.

As for how Far Cry 6 will utilise the power of PS5 and Xbox Series X, Grivel confirmed that the game will run at 4K 60fps, which is always great to see.

“One detail I can add about the new generation is that it allowed us to run the game at 60 FPS and in 4K, which is really cool,” said Grivel. “I test it on kits at the company and I can definitely see that as a great thing on the new generation, but that doesn’t mean that the previous generation is abandoned in any way.”

Far Cry 6 is out October 7 on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Stadia, and Luna.

Neo_game

I do not think it fair to compare FC6 to CP2077. FC6 is basically a last gen game, cross-gen game at best. CP2077 was meant to use the new hardware on PC, nvidia cards and more suited for XS and PS5.

FUBARx89

This is a big surprise. Up until Cyberpunk 2077, Ubisoft gameplay presentations were the most misleading in the industry.

Flashbacks of WD intensifying.

It is hypocritical of them. Their bullshots and verticleslices don't represent the games they put out.

WD and R6 Siege are the biggest stand outs in my mind.

WD was even worse when all the settings where there for the PC version. Just turned off.

Last edited:
I really do hope certain devs/publishers were paying attention, post Cyberpunk, they'll no longer be able to get away with releasing borderline broken titles.

Portugeezer

To avoid the Cyberpunk fiasco they also avoided making a next gen worthy version.

Flashbacks of WD intensifying.

It is hypocritical of them. Their bullshots and verticleslices don't represent the games they put out.

WD and R6 Siege are the biggest stand outs in my mind.

WD was even worse when all the settings where there for the PC version. Just turned off.
OK, but it ran at a locked 30fps on console, it's all good for Cyberpunk to look nice (on PC) but not run well in 2/3rds of the platforms it was developed for.

Last edited:

Dampf

Great, that's the wrong message to get from Cyberpunk.

Now they just make last gen games with higher resolution and framerate on next gen which is super boring.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Maximum quality by Ubisoft...

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Hey Ubisoft how about running the game on an fx 6300 GTX 760 machine to see how it compares against the base consoles

I'm sure we will end up requiring an overpowered PC to match consoles, as always with these idiots.

I don't think that there is a history of big problems with the far cry franchise, I have played them since far cry 3 (PC) 4 on PS4, 5 on PC... Never had any real issue.

But. That should be encouraged!

FUBARx89

To avoid the Cyberpunk fiasco they also avoided making a next gen worthy version.

OK, but it ran at a locked 30fps on console, it's all good for Cyberpunk to look nice (on PC) but not run well in 2/3rds of the platforms it was developed for.

I'm just stating the pure hypocricy of Ubisoft. They come in acting like saviours and they've never put out a game that runs like shit (Looking at you, Unity!)

Then again I believe ubisoft are a shit tier company now. They've gotten incredibly stale in recent years with all flagship titles and ram MTX's down your throat even in AC games with no online component.

At least they used to try with AC1, PoP etc etc, these days they slap a massive boring open world in with tower climbing mecahnics and call it a day.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol the game looks like shit. of course its gonna run well on PS4 and Xbox One.

Cyberpunk looked amazing and from day one I questioned how it could run on a 1.3 tflops xbox one.

Kusarigama

"Far Cry 6‘s impressive visuals were one of the few things that stood out at the game’s gameplay reveal on Friday."

The visuals were not impressive at all, they were... as expected.

FunkMiller

Yes Ubisoft!

Make sure you show us the shittier versions of games that will also be on more powerful hardware, which will be completely under utilised due to them being cross gen games!

That’s definitely the lesson you should learn from the 2077 debacle.

FML.

[Sigma]

giphy.gif

This is gold coming from them. Besides, I wasn't that impressed with what was going on in the gameplay reveal where this was even a thought.

Cute of them to think people are as hyped for Far Cry as they were for Cyberpunk. Ubisoft is known for cheap games so nobody will be surprised or disappointed if the game is a mess

MrPotato

Now if they show last gen version and have some improvements for ps5 and series x, that would be a way to not over hype but exceed expectations on final product. They should do this going forward.

Tbh I didn't think the reveal looked that mindblowing to begin with, I can se them easily running this at a lower resolution and framerate on old consoles, hell the first Watchdogs ran on a 360 (I actually played through it on mine)....

Shubh_C63

I guess Ubi will take any wins they can get.

Still though respectable move. Remember Watch Dogs 2, nice looking game but they showed it running on PS4 at E3 and seriously it looked sh*t. They went with extreme care with that one.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Its a good move, just dont try to hide anything. Seems simple enough to me.

I saw the Xbox logo before a Far Cry 6 clip, I assume it was running on one of the Series consoles?

People think the game looks bad? What?

The detail of the world and the amazing vistas are breathtaking.

I can’t wait to play this! The only Ubisoft series I play anymore. Luckily they’ve kept it every 3ish years or so versus annual.

FC6 is made with the last gen consoles as their target hardware. There's nothing visually, or design choice wise, "next gen" about it. It's scene and design complexity stay the same, with texture/resolution/framerate bumps on newer gen consoles, so obviously they won't have issues running it at 4k 60.

But this line in that interview...

“What I can say, and I cannot go so much in details about specs or things like that, is that both on previous generation and the new Xbox Series and PS5 generation, the game is running fine.”

sounds eerily similar to...

"The game runs surprisingly well on PS4 and Xbox One"

ezgif.com-video-to-gifb64c0e6a4b53b04e.gif

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Honestly I'm sceptical. Valhalla ran poorly on my PS4 primarily because of the slow hdd. It just couldn't keep up, no wonder the PC version had an SSD recommendation even for minimum specs.

Verchod

Do Far cry and Assassin's creed use the same engine? Because I always felt that Far cry looked better

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The more reasonable approach for any company, if you are releasing a game on both generations, better make sure its presentable on all systems, even if it means less bells and whistles on current gen and more time spent making sure it runs well on last. Fans will rather have that than whatever shit happened with Cyperpunk even if they complain at first.

The PS5Series userbase is still very low and the first year and so third parties need those sales..

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
People think the game looks bad? What?

The detail of the world and the amazing vistas are breathtaking.

I can’t wait to play this! The only Ubisoft series I play anymore. Luckily they’ve kept it every 3ish years or so versus annual.

Come on now, you know what forum you're on.

. . .and agreed the game looks quite nice, particularly the jungle areas. Hopefully it does indeed hold up well on current gen systems with the promised 4K/60FPS solutions.

mejin

Xbox One has suffered a lot in the last two years, but they can still do a good version for PS4.

Come on now, you know what forum you're on.

. . .and agreed the game looks quite nice, particularly the jungle areas. Hopefully it does indeed hold up well on current gen systems with the promised 4K/60FPS solutions.

If they can push 2160p at 60fps on current gen systems then it will likely run fine on last gen consoles.

Far Cry 5 was already native 2160p (not dynamic or checkerboard) at 30fps on the Xbox One X. So the upgraded engine for Far Cry 6 at the same resolution but double the framerate on current gen makes sense.

My guess is that base consoles will end up at 720-900p while the pro consoles will hit 1080p-1440p. Resolution will definitely be hit hard during this cross gen period.

I fully expect Horizon Forbidden West to be 720p on PS4 and 1080p on Pro, for example.

Last edited:
Cute of them to think people are as hyped for Far Cry as they were for Cyberpunk. Ubisoft is known for cheap games so nobody will be surprised or disappointed if the game is a mess
Far Cry series has been a consistent performer with Far Cry 5 being the top selling game in the series. There really is no hype needed. The series sells itself.

Top Bottom