• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft will allow free upgrade to next gen version of Far Cry 6

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/...code=brand_C2W_SMO_twitter___FC6____&addinfo=

vETxny.jpg

Man sony really needs to be better with this - there’s really no excuse for them to be as difficult as they’ve been with the upgrades. I don’t see how anyone can defend it, if they hadn’t built up so much good will and had so many good exclusives they would be fucked pulling all this anti consumer shit. Straight up bullshit to do this to your fanbase

martino

third party doing better effort to win loyalty for their license that platform holder brands getting money from all games and dlc.....
So how do you defend this crap now ? work was done here for far cry 6 next gen version... will you move to the fallacy of rating quality of this work ? make me laught.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Still won't get me to buy an Ubisoft title again... not right now at least, but I will admit its a good move on there part. Now if they could just release a game without a huge micro transaction store attached to it on day one and instead have those items given to the player for completing ingame challenges, that would be great.

Peter303

Does this mean the PS4 and XBox One versions have crappy performance issues?

I'd normally buy a FC game day one, but I'm going to wait to see how the PS4 one is before I dive in this time.

Markio128

So I’ve just been on Amazon and the PS4 version is the same price as the PS5 version, hence why there is no upgrade fee.

Markio128

Exactly, and if this was Sony's game, you'd see a $10 price difference :D
I don’t disagree, but folk have been round in circles in this respect already - it is what it is. I’m only making the point that Ubisoft have no justification to charge for an upgrade if the price is the same for both versions. This is the case for a lot of third-party games, so not worthy of a thread, unless it is to have the same argument again as in the other threads.

Gediminas

Banned
so PS4 and xbox versions are valued 10$ more?
will i see xbox gang boycott the ubisoft? like they do with every PS related topic?
more fake outrage before PS show, typical.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Still won't get me to buy an Ubisoft title again... not right now at least, but I will admit its a good move on there part. Now if they could just release a game without a huge micro transaction store attached to it on day one and instead have those items given to the player for completing ingame challenges, that would be great.
Stay strong brother. No matter how good the trailers are, no matter how much YouTube reviewers praise the game, no matter how tempting the free next gen update may be, don't buy Ubisoft games. At least until they get their shit together and start making innovative games again that aren't artificially stretched or artificially scarce just to add content via paid DLC, in short, games for gamers and not the CEOs' wallets.

martino

So in fact ubi is making old gen players paying next gen price....
It's another kind of bad and worst in the end....

edit : it seems 69 € is normal previous gen MSRP in france....never paid a copy that price so i though it was the nex gen price but it's in fact more 79 € ..OMG.
Since i stopped day one after my launch purchases i had already forgotten how bad the situation was.

Last edited:
Far Cry 6 is $60 for both PS4 and PS5 versions, thus it makes sense why it's a free upgrade. Similar to AC Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion. PS cross gen exclusives have a price difference thus the free upgrade doesn't work there unless Sony is some sort of charitable firm giving things out for free left right and center.

CeeJay

I don’t disagree, but folk have been round in circles in this respect already - it is what it is. I’m only making the point that Ubisoft have no justification to charge for an upgrade if the price is the same for both versions. This is the case for a lot of third-party games, so not worthy of a thread, unless it is to have the same argument again as in the other threads.
The same for both versions yes, the same $60 RRP. You can't say that because both versions are the same price that it's moot because of this. The whole problem Sony created is because they decided to put an extra $10 on the price of PS5 games and created the $10 difference which in turn led to the $10 upgrade fee. If they hadn't added the $10 next gen tax then they wouldn't have created this whole problem in the first place. The disparity between PS4 and PS5 prices is the root cause. The fact that a lot of third parties are choosing not to go down the $70 route for PS5 is very telling. Sony who own the eco-system and store etc. tried to set an example for the others to follow by setting their games at $70 and a lot of third parties have looked at that example and decided that it's not the way they want to go.

The more people shout in threads like this then the more chance there is that Sony will decide to go back to the $60 price point. Maybe when we get further into the gen and we see PS5 only titles we will see third parties also going to the $70 price point but right now the third party developers are showing Sony up to be greedy fucks.

CeeJay

Far Cry 6 is $60 for both PS4 and PS5 versions, thus it makes sense why it's a free upgrade. Similar to AC Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion. PS cross gen exclusives have a price difference thus the free upgrade doesn't work there unless Sony is some sort of charitable firm giving things out for free left right and center.
Or you know.. charge the same $60 that most others are...

Venom Snake

Gold Member
This is wonderful, but there is one small problem: i don't care about the FC series anymore. I wouldn't even play it for free.

It's like another intercourse with the same old boring hooker, only now she buys the condoms for you.

Kupfer

The more people shout in threads like this then the more chance there is that Sony will decide to go back to the $60 price point.
Wrong! Sony gives a fuck threads like this. The only way to make a change is not buying it. Bite the bullet and don't buy something, you don't agree with. Even if it means you have to live without the game everybody talks about.
Vote with your wallet, companies like Sony don't get it otherwise.

Last edited:

SegaShack

That's the problem. The next gen versions shouldn't cost more for the same game. Just like how when you buy a PC game they don't charge you more based on your specs.

CeeJay

Wrong! Sony gives a fuck threads like this. The only way to make a change is not buying it. Bite the bullet and don't buy something, you're not comfortable with. Even if it means you have to live without the game everybody talks about.
Vote with your wallet, companies like Sony don't get it otherwise.
It made a difference with HFW...

Aion002

Unexpected good guy Ubisoft!

Cross buy games and free next gen updates on For Honor, Siege, Breakpoint, Odyssey...

mad men surprise GIF

Sony execs: we will charge users for Next-gen upgrade and they will love us
Ubisoft execs: let's NOT charge for FC6 upgrade.
Sony execs: pikachuface.jpg
They've also offered free upgrades fpr Assassin's Creed Valhalla/Watch_Dogs Legion/Immortals Fenyx Rising/Rainbow Six Siege and updated Assassin's Creed Odyssey for next gen, and all of their games go on sale pretty frequently.

Ubisoft is one of the best AAA developers/publishers and are the best in class in open world games.

Last edited:

Kupfer

It made a difference with HFW...
Exceptions confirm the rule. In the case of HFW, it was announced differently in advance and Sony was like "let's try this, maybe no one will notice". It's just no use if everyone whines before the release, but then buys diligently. Sony laughs its head off and continues to do so. And not only Sony.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I still don't understand why some companies want to charge for the "upgrade" that's like charging people everytime they buy a graphics card just because they can access new/better settings. Sony need to stop being greedy and Nintendo too, Nintendo charges for the whole port.

Three

I'm baffled why some people still defend Sony for charging for nextgex update on games, when other studios do it for free.
That's what I call blind devotion.
Depends on the game and on the studio. For example 'other studios' with a multiplayer only game with possible MTX:

Screenshot-20210908-103246-Chrome.jpg

XSX/PS5: $70
XB1/PS4: $60
Dual entitlement gold edition: $100

This is a good move by Ubisoft but you need to see what is happening with the individual games and what sort of differences there are between versions. The differences from most studios have been minimal.

If a game's only difference is akin to a fps/res bump patch we've seen offered free for so many other games then that's not that great. If it's even better visuals outside of the res/fps bump, significantly reduced load times, dualsense support, 3D audio, like Ubi has apparently done here then that's good value.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

That's the problem. The next gen versions shouldn't cost more for the same game. Just like how when you buy a PC game they don't charge you more based on your specs.

This. And not to mention that in the UK Sony games haven't increased "just" $10 they went up £20 or 40%!

Kilau

Gold Member
Free nextgen upgrade? That’s pretty forward thinking but I’m not sure many will care by the time PS6/XB releases.

Whitecrow

Banned
HAHAHAHA
Because you are already paying the high priced version for PS4

Do you really think someone will gift you money? lmao

(Almost) Noone realising that the PS4 and PS5 versions cost the same speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Markio128

The same for both versions yes, the same $60 RRP. You can't say that because both versions are the same price that it's moot because of this. The whole problem Sony created is because they decided to put an extra $10 on the price of PS5 games and created the $10 difference which in turn led to the $10 upgrade fee. If they hadn't added the $10 next gen tax then they wouldn't have created this whole problem in the first place. The disparity between PS4 and PS5 prices is the root cause. The fact that a lot of third parties are choosing not to go down the $70 route for PS5 is very telling. Sony who own the eco-system and store etc. tried to set an example for the others to follow by setting their games at $70 and a lot of third parties have looked at that example and decided that it's not the way they want to go.

The more people shout in threads like this then the more chance there is that Sony will decide to go back to the $60 price point. Maybe when we get further into the gen and we see PS5 only titles we will see third parties also going to the $70 price point but right now the third party developers are showing Sony up to be greedy fucks.
It looks like Sony are being greedy, and maybe they are, but meeting the expectations of gamers is an expensive business. People will vote with their wallets in the end.

THE:MILKMAN

gaf until Tomorrow with Sony: OMG FUCK SONY SCUMMY JIM RYAN!
gaf after Sony show Tomorrow: OMG I LOVE JIM RYAN WILL SUCK HIS DICK GIMME THAT GOW AND BB2 WILL PAY 100 EURO UPGRADES IF I HAVE TO!!!!!!!!!!

The fickle kids may well be like this but not old gits like me.

Three

HAHAHAHA
Because you are already paying the high priced version for PS4

Do you really think someone will gift you money? lmao

(Almost) Noone realising that the PS4 and PS5 versions cost the same speaks volumes.
But if it's $60 then they have given you the next gen version free.

Portugeezer

Implying there is any difference between them. Looking at the visuals we've seen on PC, seems to be just a framerate unlock.

Shmunter

Imagine nickel and diming your users with the same game just on a different system……errr

Last edited:

vkbest

You would think Sony would do this because they want people to migrate to PS5 easier but nope...

Arrogant sony never left ?

Sony is trying to get their new price on games normalized. If they offer free upgrades, who would buy on PSN the PS5 version when they can get PS4 + PS5 cheaper?

Mahavastu

So in fact ubi is making old gen players paying next gen price....
It's another kind of bad and worst in the end....

edit : it seems 69 € is normal previous gen MSRP in france....never paid a copy that price so i though it was the nex gen price but it's in fact more 79 € ..OMG.
Since i stopped day one after my launch purchases i had already forgotten how bad the situation was.
They wanted to charge 89€, if you wanted to play Horizon Forbidden West on both, PS4 and PS5.
Luckily they thought again about that decision...

Mahavastu

They've also offered free upgrades fpr Assassin's Creed Valhalla/Watch_Dogs Legion/Immortals Fenyx Rising/Rainbow Six Siege and updated Assassin's Creed Odyssey for next gen, and all of their games go on sale pretty frequently.
Yepp, Ubisoft announced the free Upgrade of FarCry6 together with those upgrades last year, even before the PS5/XSX were even released.

Top Bottom