• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Montreal will reportedly launch a futuristic battle royale FPS called Hyper Scape in July

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Citing unnamed sources, esports consultant Rod Breslau said Ubisoft will begin teasing the game, codenamed ‘Prisma Dimensions’, later today ahead of the launch of a closed beta next week.

Set in a futuristic virtual world, the cross-play title will reportedly be released for PC on July 12 ahead of its console launch later this year.

Update: A teaser website for the project is now live ahead of a reveal scheduled for this Thursday, July 2, while various content creators have begun posting about having played the game at a preview event.

Original story continues: French publisher Ubisoft has confirmed plans to host an “E3-style” digital games showcase on July 12, the same date Hyper Scape is said to enter open beta.

kretos

Banned
Oh look another battle royale

IgMyx.gif

jigglet

Banned
Way too late. Fortnight occupies the third person cartoony style, PUBG the third person realistic style, then Apex the first person futuristic angle, and now Warzone has taken the first person realistic modern day theme. What's left? The only thing I could think of is a game with Battlefield 4's macro level destruction with R6 Siege's micro level destruction. Anything else is not adding anything new to the mix. This needed to come out 2-3 years ago.

MiguelItUp

I really can't wait for the BR fad to die out. Hopefully this one looks cool, but I'm sure it'll be like everything else already out.

Life

Way too late. Fortnight occupies the third person cartoony style, PUBG the third person realistic style, then Apex the first person futuristic angle, and now Warzone has taken the first person realistic modern day theme. What's left? The only thing I could think of is a game with Battlefield 4's macro level destruction with R6 Siege's micro level destruction. Anything else is not adding anything new to the mix. This needed to come out 2-3 years ago.

This is a BR - themes dont mean shit. If it's advertised properly and enough known streamers play it - it does well.

Mossybrew

Yeah this genre was kinda fun there for a bit, but for me its moment is long gone and I have zero interest these days in BR. I guess there are still a lot of fans out there.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Probably because there are loads of ways to slice a single player narrative game but once you decide on Battle Royale you're pretty much stuck inside a box.

Unless you view games from a mechanics (gameplay) perspective rather than a packaging perspective.

brap

Banned
Glad it's not just me. I fear for the world when I see how popular Fortnite is. I really do not see the appeal. It looks dull as fuck!
To me Fortnite looks like the only one that's actually unique. You can build and shit. All these other ones just look like generic games where you run around and kill each other until one is left.

supernova8

Banned
To me Fortnite looks like the only one that's actually unique. You can build and shit. All these other ones just look like generic games where you run around and kill each other until one is left.

Interesting, the only one I found intriguing was PUBG and that's only because it gives me Battle Royale (JP movie) vibes. I'll admit I do like CoD Warzone because the gunplay is sublime.

Life

Fortnite and Apex gives you like 9 lives with shields, barricades and safe houses (in Apex). And there's so much downtime in those two with huge maps and not enough players.
Warzone is the only one I actually enjoyed cos there's always tension and you gotta be careful where you tread. Playing Warzone Solo was one of the scariest video game experiences for me personally, and I only played it a handful of times cos it was that intense.

There' s a lot I don't like in Warzone too though, and I dunno that Ubi will take only the best aspects of these games.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I have over 1,500 wins in Fortnite.

My heart STILL races waaaaaay more when I'm in the top 3 of Fortnite than it did at any point in TLoU2 (or any single player game).

Battle Royale games are such an important advancement in this industry. Just want to see future iterations that keep pushing the genre forward.

Not thrilled with the "fast paced" or "FPS perspective" of this game, but I'll keep an open mind.

MiguelItUp

I really dislike Battle Royales honestly. Which is always amusing to me considering the FPS genre is my favorite, and I've always enjoyed games with chaos and a ton of players. But every one I play just feels too similar with one another and nothing really hits me differently. It's like how the MOBA craze was all over again. It's the slice of the latest pie, and I wish I cared more, lmao.

That being said, just like all of the other ones I'll give this one a shot. Maybe it'll stick? Maybe not. Regardless I look forward to seeing it in action tomorrow.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I really dislike Battle Royales honestly. Which is always amusing to me considering the FPS genre is my favorite, and I've always enjoyed games with chaos and a ton of players. But everyone I play just feels too similar with one another and nothing really hits me differently. It's like how the MOBA craze was all over again. It's the slice of the latest pie, and I wish I cared moer, lmao.

That being said, just like all of the other ones I'll give this one a shot. Maybe it'll stick? Maybe not. Regardless I look forward to seeing it in action tomorrow.

I suspect we'll see significantly more variety in the BR space in the next few years, compared to the MOBA space.

Quasicat

It doesn’t really say in the article about price, but I don’t see this going anywhere unless it’s free with the usual cosmetic dlc. Everyone I know who play these things refuse to pay for anything to get started.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I've been watching quite a few streamers play it and I don't know. Some cool stuff here, yeah. But I'm still left feeling like it's just a Frankenstein of things from other games. Which is kind of what I expected in the first place, yeah, but I was hopeful there'd be a bit more. Something about its look and everything doesn't really sit well with me either. Just feels like another passionless cash grab.

Arachnid

"Ubisoft Montreal"

Hold the FUCKING phone. Are you telling me that the OG Splinter Cell devs, who put out GOATs like Chaos Theory, were being wasted on a freaking BR game?

UCrU.gif

I was a BR hater prior to playing Apex, and now that damned game is all I play. Every other shooter just feels, I don't know, like it's not enough. So I understand the pull of BR.

But then Apex is made by Respawn, so the gunplay and movement is second to none. Don't have that kind of faith in Ubisoft.

Nice to see though that they are smart enough to borrow good ideas, like the ping system.

I was a BR hater prior to playing Apex, and now that damned game is all I play. Every other shooter just feels, I don't know, like it's not enough. So I understand the pull of BR.

But then Apex is made by Respawn, so the gunplay and movement is second to none. Don't have that kind of faith in Ubisoft.

Nice to see though that they are smart enough to borrow good ideas, like the ping system.
Literally same for everything, except replace Apex with Warzone.

I used to think battle royale was terrible shit and was pissed that they were so popular... then I played a 4 player game of Warzone with friends I've had since high school. Now it is all I fucking play it feels like.

I will say pretty much every other one looks kinda stupid to me, and only Warzone seems to have "clicked."

GeorgPrime

Banned

Citing unnamed sources, esports consultant Rod Breslau said Ubisoft will begin teasing the game, codenamed ‘Prisma Dimensions’, later today ahead of the launch of a closed beta next week.

Set in a futuristic virtual world, the cross-play title will reportedly be released for PC on July 12 ahead of its console launch later this year.

Update: A teaser website for the project is now live ahead of a reveal scheduled for this Thursday, July 2, while various content creators have begun posting about having played the game at a preview event.

Original story continues: French publisher Ubisoft has confirmed plans to host an “E3-style” digital games showcase on July 12, the same date Hyper Scape is said to enter open beta.

Another financial flop incoming?

DonF

Same but right now I'm back into normal fps mp cause of cod WW2, haahaah. Since apex launched is all I played, tried cod WW2 cause it's was a free PS plus game and I'm kinda loving it. The time to kill, the responsiveness, the way better netcode and frame rate. I miss the awesome movement of apex, but the better netcode make up for it.
If apex had servers in my region (I currently have to play with 80+ ping) I might enjoy it even more.

HE1NZ

Banned
Cool that some people having a good time. But I wish somebody designed a BR about stealth and strategy like early PUBG was. I've played a couple of matches of this and it's just run around until you meet the enemy and then having a quake out. Like Apex. I'd enjoy this more if it was team deathmatch.

Tesseract

Banned
Cool that some people having a good time. But I wish somebody designed a BR about stealth and strategy like early PUBG was. I've played a couple of matches of this and it's just run around until you meet the enemy and then having a quake out. Like Apex. I'd enjoy this more if it was team deathmatch.
there's invisibility and bone walls, plenty of stealth

Top Bottom