• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Montreal Cancels a Secret Project Three Years in the Making.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ubisoft Montreal, the studio behind some of the publisher’s most important games, including the biggest entries in the Assassin’s Creed franchise, Far Cry, and Watch Dogs, has apparently cancelled a major unannounced project three years in the making. This information was spilled on Twitter by Ubisoft programmer Louis de Carufel (who might be in for a stern talking to from Ubisoft PR)…

I just learned that the project I've been working on for the past 3 years has been cancelled. This is tough news because I've been working with all these people for around 7 years, during which we have shipped both Watch_Dogs and Watch_Dogs 2.
— Louis de Carufel (@SpaceTangent) December 20, 2019

Thankfully, according to Carufel, nobody that was working on the mystery project will lose their jobs, and will instead be reassigned to other projects at Ubi Montreal. Interestingly, he also lets slip that over 200 people were working on the project, so it was a big deal.

However, the good thing about working at @UbisoftMTL is that nobody in the team has lost their job! Every single one of the 200+ people in the team will be reassigned to an existing project in the studio (there's over 15 of them). We even get to choose which ones we prefer!

So it's tough news, but I now see it as an opportunity to learn a new engine and meet new people. Some of the projects are shipping in 2020, while others are just starting. It's gonna be a difficult choice!

Of course, Kotaku’s Jason Schreier is getting in on the behind-the-scenes gossip . Apparently, the just-cancelled game is not Pioneer, which was teased in Watch Dogs 2, but already cancelled a while ago. It also wasn’t a Splinter Cell title, so don’t bother getting worked up about that. This latest cancellation was a new IP from the Watch Dogs team, which would have been a Destiny-like live-service game.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Shame as someone already made a review about the cancelled game.

GermanZepp

I don't play ubisoft games since ultimate tetris and that was almost as horrible experience as Sega genesis tetris fiasco. Before that a played peter jackson's king kong in the ps2. I play some Sam fisher games though.

NeoGiffer

InsidiousPinkGoosefish-size_restricted.gif

Top Bottom