• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ubisoft] Far Cry 6: Ray Tracing exclusively on PCs.

bender

What time is it?
How will they sell a console then? Look at how many people say they can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, or next gen games look like last gen.

I'll bet money PS5 pro will push for 8k in 2023 or early 2024. TV manufacturers will start going hard on 8k soon.

It would be much easier to market a visual leap in games if they didn't have to increase the pixel count.

Last edited:

Hoddi

It would be nice to have two generation in a row with the same target resolution. I'm secretly hoping 8K doesn't take off so that consoles can catch up.
I don't disagree. But, you know, good luck with that.

8k does look very nice though. I play most of my Wii U games in an emulator downscaled from 8k to 4k and they look nothing short of fantastic. But it really isn't worth wasting all that performance instead of better looking visuals.

I keep being reminded of that time when Microsoft talked about the 'quality of the pixels' being more important than the number of the pixels. There were a lot of people who made fun of that but that's basically where we're at right now.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I don't disagree. But, you know, good luck with that.

8k does look very nice though. I play most of my Wii U games in an emulator downscaled from 8k to 4k and they look nothing short of fantastic. But it really isn't worth wasting all that performance instead of better looking visuals.

I keep being reminded of that time when Microsoft talked about the 'quality of the pixels' being more important than the number of the pixels. There were a lot of people who made fun of them for that but that's basically where we're at right now.

You don't need an 8K display for that use case though.

Media consumption is ever shifting and I think at some point the consumer market will revolt, draw a line in the sand, and say XK resolution is enough. Granted that might not be 4K, but I don't think we are too far off from that either. TV manufacturers will always figure out the next gimmick to sell consumers anyway.

ParaSeoul

Watching pc players brag about a Ubisoft game,probably too much spaghetti code in that game
Emilia Clarke Laughing GIF

Hoddi

You don't need an 8K display for that use case though.

Media consumption is ever shifting and I think at some point the consumer market will revolt, draw a line in the sand, and say XK resolution is enough. Granted that might not be 4K, but I don't think we are too far off from that either. TV manufacturers will always figure out the next gimmick to sell consumers anyway.
Pretty much. I didn't really have any point to make but it's worth reminding people that chasing higher resolutions isn''t always worthwhile.

bender

What time is it?
Pretty much. I didn't really have any point to make but it's worth reminding people that chasing higher resolutions isn''t always worthwhile.

We've kind of seen the diminishing returns the last two console cycles with comments about early software not really blowing people away like previous generations of hardware. There are more technological factors than just resolution that go into that, but shooting for more than double the pixel count certainly isn't doing software any favors.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
It would be nice to have two generation in a row with the same target resolution. I'm secretly hoping 8K doesn't take off so that consoles can catch up.
Imagine they are going for 8k 30fps with RT and 8k 60fps without RT only xD

Fare thee well

Neophyte
With my experiences on pc, 1440p is fine for now. Anything above it has been a total waste of performance. 4k was beautiful for the years I tried it, but it's so poorly optimized. I'd take a refresh rate 120 and over, better effects, and 1440p with an ultrawide screen any day. I mean if we can get 4K running with better refresh-rate/frames somehow, I'm down to try it again. Couldn't wait to chuck my 60FPS 4k ultra HD screen in the garbage.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Just a few years ago people could give two shits about RT, now they refuse to buy the game if it has no RT.
Back then they didn't care. Now that they can kinda get it, they are furious.

Just like 60 fps. A majority of console players preferred 30 fps, because that's all they could get.

Now that they can get higher, they want higher.

This gen consoles aren't that powerful but I can already smell the laziness from Ubisoft. Give the console crowd the flexibility and scalability that pc offers but with lower base levels. It wouldn't hurt sacrifice resolution for more performance and other features like fov sliders, different aa solutions, shadow quality, texture quality, global illumination options, etc.

I don't see why not give the user base more options since the consoles are just basically pre-built pcs.

Armorian

Banned
Probably high, because its clear they couldn't even bother implementing DLSS in a RT title that can't do 60 fps at 4k.

That says enough already.

Ubisoft is super lazy with PC ports since they got in bed with AMD. FC4 has better graphics than FC Primal and in some aspects even FC5.

I think this is a function of how console games are now routinely targeting 4k 60fps. I was surprised to see that happen so quickly. That's a pretty intense target, so of course you're going to see sacrifices made.

Lysandros

2560x1440x60 = 221,184,000 pixels/s

3840x2160x30 = 248,832,000 pixels/s

It's pretty similar 🤷‍♂️

But more importantly, there's really no reason for pairing a 6900XT with a 3070 while the 6800 is paired against 3800, it just doesn't make sense.
What about the geometry/polygon cost? It's double at 60 FPS regardless of the resolution.

Kenpachii

Ubisoft is super lazy with PC ports since they got in bed with AMD. FC4 has better graphics than FC Primal and in some aspects even FC5.

There loss, they just sell less and less on PC as result. I won't be touching this game if it aint running with RT on with 80 fps.

On console, our objective has been to take advantage of new hardware capabilities, optimizing performance targeting 4K and achieving 60 FPS

Damn right. For me personally, raytracing is a waste of resources and performance.

Besides, imagine playing a first person shooter at 30FPS in 2021

Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Console hardware isn't weak at all. It just rt is just there to use but don't offer great performance. Devs can still achieve great results with what they have (see: ratchet) if they use it where it counts.

It only make sense for them to offer it on the platform which is strong enough to handle it with great performance at the same time.

Alebrije

Think of this generation as the most boring generation ever. Nothing really groundbreaking, just PS4 graphics with a pixel boost. YAWN.

Guess the dream of advanced physics/lighting/destructible environments are gone because GOTTA HAVE 60FPS!!! OMG! SO PRETTY FRAMES! MORE FRAAAAAAAAAMMMMEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

Gimme a break. Let's see what these machines can really do.

Can't wait for cross-gen to be over.
I do not know what they can do but know they can not diliver 60fps 4k or even less resolution with RT and all the gingles. This will happens when PS6 is released.

PS5 is great with 60 fps and dynamic 4K games plus the fast SSD. The RT on PS5 ans Xbone Series X is poor, the most basic when compared to PCs..this is not about cross.gen games..its because.the consoles.can not handle full RT just basic one and developers have to sacrifice resoruces to deliver it.

Fbh

On the one hand 60fps is nice, on the other hand as long as devs focus on that this will feel like the gen of the Ps4 pro pro and the Xbox One double X.

Seriously though, I guess how disappointing this is depends on how close they get to 4K. Remember that they are saying "targeting" so if the game runs at 1440p but goes up to 4K if you look at the sky that's still "targeting"

Watching pc players brag about a Ubisoft game,probably too much spaghetti code in that game
Emilia Clarke Laughing GIF

PC gamers when their $2000 PC outperforms a $400 console
Matthew Mcconaughey Laughing GIF

Last edited:
2560x1440x60 = 221,184,000 pixels/s

3840x2160x30 = 248,832,000 pixels/s

It's pretty similar 🤷‍♂️

But more importantly, there's really no reason for pairing a 6900XT with a 3070 while the 6800 is paired against 3800, it just doesn't make sense.
Sorry, but pixels/s is a very flawed way to measure system perf.

Simply try running any game with uncapped framerate at 4K and then at 2560x1440 and look at the results. they will surprise you

Lysandros Lysandros might be on to something and I admittedly chuckled at the notion.
In A Box Reaction GIF

lukilladog

Why would people want shity performance with the same visual semblance?, makes no sense. When devs start to see that most people will just go for the 60fps modes, they will stop wasting their time. 60fps and 4k are far stronger marketing memes anyway. RIP RT.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the bad guy the same as in Breaking Bad?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
yes he is. That is why im mostly excited for this one. Also the setting is way better this time
never thought I would be interested in Far Cry again, but this sounds amazing.

Top Bottom