• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ubisoft] Far Cry 6: Ray Tracing exclusively on PCs.

Kenpachii

Should have not focused on 4k and 60 fps for next gen consoles, should have halted it at 1440p and 60 fps then slam some cheap RT in there at 1/4 of the resolution and call it a day.

Derktron

Banned
PC is great for the likes of you , it's still too early to abandon this hobby , give it a second chance.
Nah, even PC gaming is a joke with these pathetic high prices for GPU and CPU simply because fuck faces use them for their own mining bullshit and wanting to make a quick buck. I have a gaming PC. Sorry, but gaming, in general, is a joke with a lack of good games and good next-gen games. Sorry but that is my opinion. Ubisoft can do it its just a useless excuse as always

dcmk7

Banned
They may have claimed that for the S, but ms and sony also claimed 8k, 4k, and rt, which is randomly applied to some games and not others. So all machines claim things they don't achieve, since the beginning of consoles.

This lack of ray tracing is a performance decision, and it was probably easier on all 3 platforms overall. It's too bad they didn't at least leave the option of lower res with rt, some people enjoy it.

I think it's very different.. with XSX or PS5 did anyone ever claim it's going run everything at 8k/4k? Did Cerny? Or Jason Ronald? And I think the 8k figure is related to the streaming video compatibility no?

Big difference between those two and XSS, is Jason Ronald did actually say, in a very matter of fact way, that the XSS will have the 'same next gen experience at lower rendering resolution' as the XSX... which he probably knew from internal feedback wasn't true. .

That's why Series S has been a let down, reality doesn't align with his marketing claim (Or any pre launch marketing claim).

GreatnessRD

Needing a 6900 XT for 1440p Ultra Raytracing is wild. Thankfully, I don't care too much about RT'ing, so Ultra 1440p with the 6800 XT is fine with me. But yikes, lol

Nah, even PC gaming is a joke with these pathetic high prices for GPU and CPU simply because fuck faces use them for their own mining bullshit and wanting to make a quick buck. I have a gaming PC. Sorry, but gaming, in general, is a joke with a lack of good games and good next-gen games. Sorry but that is my opinion. Ubisoft can do it its just a useless excuse as always
Hardcore gamers have always been on the retro side , just focusing on the latest and greatest is too harsh and edgy for them , it's even easier to find what you like when you look for older games , newer games are too risky and you could be trapped by a solid review on the surface but an empty shallow from the inside , you can't rely on reviewers , it's a dead end topic for not giving yourself a chance to try them.

Riky

$MSFT
Jason Ronald goes on to say in the marketing video what the "next gen experience" actually is , he even lists the features.

Quick Resume
Faster Loading
Higher Framerates

He didn't say Ray Tracing.

Armorian

Banned
Needing a 6900 XT for 1440p Ultra Raytracing is wild. Thankfully, I don't care too much about RT'ing, so Ultra 1440p with the 6800 XT is fine with me. But yikes, lol

This is no surprise. Radeon cards takes massive hit with any heavier implementation of RT.

NickFire

5nruap.jpg
I chuckled, but whoever made that meme needs to learn where to put commas.

GreatnessRD

This is no surprise. Radeon cards takes massive hit with any heavier implementation of RT.
Yeah, I know, but it doesn't make it any less wild. At least to me anyway. Just crazy to read Flagship Enthusiast 6900 XT, that's all. But as I said, I'm glad that I'm in the brute force camp, so this doesn't affect me.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think it's very different.. with XSX or PS5 did anyone ever claim it's going run everything at 8k/4k? Did Cerny? Or Jason Ronald? And I think the 8k figure is related to the streaming video compatibility no?

Big difference between those two and XSS, is Jason Ronald did actually say, in a very matter of fact way, that the XSS will have the 'same next gen experience at lower rendering resolution' as the XSX... which he probably knew from internal feedback wasn't true. .

That's why Series S has been a let down, reality doesn't align with his marketing claim (Or any pre launch marketing claim).

Oh yes, they most certainly implied it. The series X and PS5 boxes both say 4k, 120fps, and the PS5 says 8K despite it still not supporting anything at that resolution, even for streaming video. This is marketing material from Sony:
  • Frame rates of up to 120fps for compatible games, with support for 120Hz output on 4K displays, gives you smooth, fluid gameplay
  • HDMI output and support for 4K gaming means you can play your favourite PS5 games on your 4K TV
  • Also supports 8K output, so you can play games on a compatible display in stunning 4320p resolution

And for Xbox Series X:

• Ultra-high-speed HDMI output lets you enjoy 4K gaming at up to 120 frames per second
I know they have things like "up to" and "on supported games" but the average person isn't going to even notice.

So basically, Sony and MS "targeted" 4K at 60, despite other promises. They failed to deliver on this, really. (even though they are great machines) It's the same thing with S. They were targeting a lower res box capable of playing the newer games. It didn't make that target either.

I don't think series S has let very many down, just a few people on this forum who expected more from it. Did I want it to hit higher resolutions more of the time? Sure, but the same could be said for X. For the most part owners are happy with what it does.

Any game that is not 60 FPS with RT and dynamic 4k on current gen is a big LAZY fail imo. Won't get my money.
If you were expecting that from the PS5/Xbox Series X at a $500 starting price in 2020, the joke is one you lol. (I am guessing your joking)
It's only because these consoles aim for 4k60.

4k is a waste of resources.
They got to move those 4K TVs some how… 😆
Next gen was a mistake.
Agreed

These consoles launched way too early. Should have been 2023.

Last edited:

Rikkori

If they can get near 4k with 60fps they should easily be able to give rt mode at 1080p or something for anyone who wants it. But yeah, i doubt this 4k claim 🤣
People have been hit over the head with marketing 4K so much they've started to believe it. In reality even a 3090 still buckles in hitting 4K 60 fps WITHOUT RT in some games (eg Cyberpunk). Consoles were never going to get native 4K for heavy hitting AAA titles.
next gen tech sounds good but has any game used hybrid ray-tracing before?what does it look like ?

Here's a comparison from me (this is with UE4 TAAU at 50% of 4K, with an RX 6800) :
zks9BdR.jpg

Full photos: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51501926010_6e723c0470_o.png https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51501926105_9f3d24cd8d_o.png
Any game that is not 60 FPS with RT and dynamic 4k on current gen is a big LAZY fail imo. Won't get my money.
e7b22555e6a00f75bd20591cf93b63d2.jpg

No adjustable FOV on NG consoles... not good.
This is by far the biggest problem with consoles imo.
Then again, the game doesn't look very good graphically, and their RT looked like shit in Watch_Dogs so eh...
lol WD:L RTR was actually state of the art on PC. Not that it has anything to do with this, different teams & engines & games & environments.
I guess next 4k will be exclusive for one platform for a certain time.
🌎👨‍🚀🔫👨‍🚀
You get what you pay for.
:goog_wink:
So it's native 4K 60 on new consoles... why not half 4K CB 60 with RT then? Unless it's super demanding and only few top cards can do 60fps RT, which is very likely and would explain why they opted out on consoles, but could have at least 30 RT option for masochist individuals like our local spazmio.
Would look bad. You can already see how grainy & noisy it looks for 4K PC. Jungle environment + hybrid RT is worst case scenario for CB, and also likely wouldn't be enough.

Ubisoft cannot optimize games.
The Office Lie GIF

What a fucking bullshit, so at 1440P 60fps RT they see the 6900xt equall to RTX 3070 but at 4K 30 RT the 6800XT is equall to the RTX 3080? Don't take this recommendation to serious, they just put some random specs.
Specs are not random. How it works is like this: They have a couple of test systems that they use to see how they do, and then they put each of them in a category (eg 4K 30fps RT). This is just to give you an idea of how the game runs on some systems, it's not meant to be the definitive guide to performance. It doesn't do anything more than that, so attempting to read comparisons between GPUs or CPUs based on it is foolish and misguided.
Refl and shadows, no lighting. We need to wait for game release , but right now looking at those req that hybrid RT sounds like much more demanding solution then Nvidias propritery tech as that even has lighting in some games.

RT shadows can be turned off instantly for nice fps gain potentialy with no discernable dif.:

RT shadows are actually really cool and are more evident in motion & in fullscreen while playing particularly for foliage/vegetation-heavy games. Most people won't care though as they're used to raster shadows.
Ray tracing is a marketing tool on consoles the same way 4k has been.

Think the best of this generation is that finally we can play most of games at 60fps..and some at native 4k.
Of course. And 4K on consoles remains a marketing tool, as is now also happening on PC with reconstruction techniques. After all, why not - are PC users en mass any smarter than console ones? Don't think so. it's_free_real_estate.meme
This Gen aint even started and PC has already eclipsed it and it's only going to get worse. Just like every other generation before it.

Once next gen graphics cards get released, these boxes will be even further in the rear view mirror when it comes to true next gen shit like Ray Tracing.
Fun fact: A high-end PC with a 2080 Ti bought at its release will have already paid for itself 2x over just by mining during your sleep (8hrs/day). By the time next gen of consoles is here that PC could end up making 4x its original value easily. PC will always be cheaper. ;)
Think of this generation as the most boring generation ever. Nothing really groundbreaking, just PS4 graphics with a pixel boost. YAWN.

Guess the dream of advanced physics/lighting/destructible environments are gone because GOTTA HAVE 60FPS!!! OMG! SO PRETTY FRAMES! MORE FRAAAAAAAAAMMMMEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

Gimme a break. Let's see what these machines can really do.

Can't wait for cross-gen to be over.
Those things are not only much harder to do on a technical level but it's also riskier from a gameplay point of view. Much easier to develop games like those that have already been made & are successful. I'm sure we'll get another Red Factionesque try this gen but don't expect that to be common. It's not only a matter of the hardware being able, you also need the devs to KNOW what to make, and be ABLE to make it, and for the gamers themselves to WANT it. It's a tall order. Expect more destructible buildings in BF and the like but not much past that.
Time for PS5 Pro.
It's on its way, just give it 3-4 years. This will be a 10 year console gen for sure.

Kenpachii

Again I say when something is wrong on PC it's lol.

When it's on console it's bad devs

These kids think that 4k 60fps is easy to render, want next gen graphics and full blown raytracing with it. On a 500 dollar box.

I can't blame them tho, with sony putting 8k on the box and most forums telling you that SSD will render GCI movies by itself u start to get delusional.

dcmk7

Banned
This is marketing material from Sony:
  • Frame rates of up to 120fps for compatible games, with support for 120Hz output on 4K displays, gives you smooth, fluid gameplay
  • HDMI output and support for 4K gaming means you can play your favourite PS5 games on your 4K TV
  • Also supports 8K output, so you can play games on a compatible display in stunning 4320p resolution

It says 'supports' and 'up to'.. So don't see how it would be considered misleading to be honest.

If they had said all games will be a minimum 60fps or 4k that would be more problematic.

What has made the XSS marketing problematic for me at least, is a senior figure has made a very bold claim about it having the exact same experience as the XSX 'just with a reduced rendering resolution'.

So I do thing the comparisons are very different.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

You seem to hate gaming. I think you need a new hobby.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It says 'supports' and 'up to'.. So don't see how it would be considered misleading to be honest.

If they had said all games will be a minimum 60fps or 4k that would be more problematic.

What has made the XSS marketing problematic for me at least, is a senior figure has made a very bold claim about it having the exact same experience as the XSX 'just with a reduced rendering resolution'.

So I do thing the comparisons are very different.

Well even if we agree to disagree on that point, at some point you have to let the beard off the hook and just judge the S on it's unique quasi next gen position. It's an interesting proposition never before attempted in a new generation. I defend it a lot, but I don't think it's an amazing value at it's current price. Once it's $249 it's sits better for me, if it ever hits $199 it's smoking hot.....

Buggy Loop

1440p 60 fps tends to be tougher than 4k 30 fps though

2560x1440x60 = 221,184,000 pixels/s

3840x2160x30 = 248,832,000 pixels/s

It's pretty similar 🤷‍♂️

But more importantly, there's really no reason for pairing a 6900XT with a 3070 while the 6800 is paired against 3800, it just doesn't make sense.

My card's a Pascal 1080 GTX anyway, with a 1440p 144 Hz monitor. Couldn't do RT unless its software based and less intensive. I can just drop down to 1080p and push FSR if it's in with everything cranked up, or drop a few other intensive settings to medium/high.

But this whole thing is giving me classic Ubi vibes and red flags all over.

All that juice for this crossgen/lastgen looking game? It doesn't even look as good as WDL.

PC gamers watch out for another unoptimized shitware from Ubi. LMFAO

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
It's still missing the point. Use that processing power on the AI. I watched the trailer and it's still the same shitty AI from the last 3 games.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think console gamers should pretend RTX is a bonus feature on current gen consoles.

I personally thinks its too early to implement RTX on current gen consoles .

Hoddi

I think console gamers should pretend RTX is a bonus feature on current gen consoles.

I personally thinks its too early to implement RTX on current gen consoles .
Dunno, I think there's enough space for RT on the consoles. It's just not there at 4k.

I've always been hesitant to upgrade my old 1080p plasma and it's exactly for this reason. It's hard to get a meaningful upgrade in visuals with a 4x bump in display resolution; but it can look fantastic at 1080p because it gives you 4x more resources.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Dunno, I think there's enough space for RT on the consoles. It's just not there at 4k.

I've always been hesitant to upgrade my old 1080p plasma and it's exactly for this reason. It's hard to get a meaningful upgrade in visuals with a 4x bump in display resolution; but it can look fantastic at 1080p because it gives you 4x more resources.
i agree, as a console gamer that only games on monitor, i dont really care much about 4k, but most publishers were pushing 4k 30fps with RT. or 4k dynamic 60fps without RT.
I feel like games like Deathloop could implement RT under performance mode if they had more time.

I just want a 1440p (or upscaled to 4k), 60fps with RT and i'm a happy gamer.

Dream-Knife

Banned
1440p 60 fps tends to be tougher than 4k 30 fps though
Same settings, 1440p will not be twice the frames of 4k.

I'm thinking it's a typo or something and they meant 6700xt.

I'm also guessing the 3070 isn't 4k capable due to its vram limitation. Just surprised to see it hit that limit so soon.

Hoddi

i agree, as a console gamer that only games on monitor, i dont really care much about 4k, but most publishers were pushing 4k 30fps with RT. or 4k dynamic 60fps without RT.
I feel like games like Deathloop could implement RT under performance mode if they had more time.

I just want a 1440p (or upscaled to 4k), 60fps with RT and i'm a happy gamer.
Ya, I think 1440p is probably gonna be the most common rendering resolution moving forward. I'm not very fond of 1440p upscaling to 4k and kinda prefer having it downscaled to 1080p instead.

We're in a weird spot where TV manufacturers are always trying to push higher resolutions but it isn't exactly to the benefit of gamers. The absolute best way to guarantee image quality in games is to have them running at the same resolution as the display resolution but that isn't really feasible when they're pushing 4k and even 8k TVs.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Ya, I think 1440p is probably gonna be the most common rendering resolution moving forward. I'm not very fond of 1440p upscaling to 4k and kinda prefer having it downscaled to 1080p instead.

We're in a weird spot where TV manufacturers are always trying to push higher resolutions but it isn't exactly to the benefit of gamers. The absolute best way to guarantee image quality in games is to have them running at the same resolution as the display resolution but that isn't really feasible when they're pushing 4k and even 8k TVs.

It would be nice to have two generation in a row with the same target resolution. I'm secretly hoping 8K doesn't take off so that consoles can catch up.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It would be nice to have two generation in a row with the same target resolution. I'm secretly hoping 8K doesn't take off so that consoles can catch up.
How will they sell a console then? Look at how many people say they can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, or next gen games look like last gen.

I'll bet money PS5 pro will push for 8k in 2023 or early 2024. TV manufacturers will start going hard on 8k soon.

Top Bottom