• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ubisoft] Far Cry 6: Ray Tracing exclusively on PCs.

Leonidas

Why did you choose hybrid ray traced reflections?

We chose hybrid ray traced reflections because it has the best quality-to-performance balance and
allows us to support DXR even on mid-range hardware. This way more players can enjoy ray tracing in scenarios where it’s impossible to use SSLR due to technology limitations.
Will ray tracing be available on PS5 and Xbox Series S|X, too? If so, how will it compare to the PC version?

Ray tracing is a PC only feature. On console, our objective has been to take advantage of new hardware capabilities, optimizing performance targeting 4K and achieving 60 FPS, for instance, all while ensuring new game features, like our dynamic weather system, are supported on all platforms.

mansoor1980

next gen tech sounds good but has any game used hybrid ray-tracing before?what does it look like ?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

optimizing performance targeting 4K and achieving 60 FPS
EnchantedWhimsicalIndianabat-size_restricted.gif

Then again, the game doesn't look very good graphically, and their RT looked like shit in Watch_Dogs so eh...

So it's native 4K 60 on new consoles... why not half 4K CB 60 with RT then? Unless it's super demanding and only few top cards can do 60fps RT, which is very likely and would explain why they opted out on consoles, but could have at least 30 RT option for masochist individuals like our local spazmio.

Stuart360

So is 60fps. Give me my full on graphicals at 30fps dammit
Well buy a good PC and have both then.
Devs are 100% doing the right thing moving towards 60fps this gen. I mean they should of done it in the 360 gen really as both 360 and PS3 had good cpu's.

Dont worry though, once the cross gen phaze ends we will be getting many more 30fps games. Hopefully devs put in a 60fps mode though.

Devs are 100% doing the right thing moving towards 60fps this gen. I mean they should of done it in the 360 gen really as both 360 and PS3 had good cpu's.

Dont worry though, once the cross gen phaze ends we will be getting many more 30fps games. Hopefully devs put in a 60fps mode though.
I never again want to see a 30 fps shooter. It should be classified as a crime against humanity.

skneogaf

3080 gets you 4k 30fps ray tracing!

I wonder if my 3090 will get me over consistently over 40 fps for vrr on my LG oled?

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

I eagerly anticipate the end of cross gen for this point alone.

Leonidas

3080 gets you 4k 30fps ray tracing!

I wonder if my 3090 will get me over consistently over 40 fps for vrr on my LG oled?
Turn on FSR (Quality) and you'll probably get 60 FPS.

You'd be able to do even better than that if the game had DLSS, but unfortunately the game is AMD sponsored and only supports FSR at this time...

Basically a confirmation that it isn't native 4k 60 even without RT on consoles.
That chart just highlights the weakness of RDNA2 hardware RT IMO, RTX 3070 in the same tier as 6900 XT in the 1440p60 column with RT on.

Consoles won't be running the game at Ultra, they could probably come close to 4K60 with med. settings, if that chart reflects reality.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
Looks fine to me. 1440p60 Ultra settings on a mid tier PC.

EDIT: I just realized that the "mid tier PC" is literally PS5/XSX. So I expect 1440p60 on the consoles (even if it's dynamic 4K).
Fascinating as well.... the 60fps ray tracing option at 1440p wants a 6900 XT and compares to the 3070... however for the 4K ray tracing option at 30fps you only need the non-XT 6800... and they ask for the big boy 3080 for that option...

Is that a mistake .. or is it a sign that the amd cards will beat Nvidia with RT off by a wide margin... and get beaten badly with RT ON?

Turn on FSR and you'll probably get 60 FPS.

You'd be able to do even better than that if the game had DLSS, but unfortunately the game is AMD sponsored and only supports FSR...

That chart just highlights the weakness of RDNA2 hardware RT IMO, RTX 3070 in the same tier as 6900 XT in the 1440p60 column with RT on.

Consoles won't be running the game at Ultra, they could probably come close to 4K60 with med. settings, if that chart reflects reality.
Nah cons will run at ~2560x1440, 60 just like valhalla.

RTX 3070 in the same tier as 6900 XT
Interestingly they got 6800 vs 3080 for 4K 30... ? Prob should fix that.

Fascinating as well.... the 60fps ray tracing option at 1440p wants a 6900 XT and compares to the 3070... however for the 4K ray tracing option at 30fps you only need the non-XT 6800... and they ask for the big boy 3080 for that option...

Is that a mistake .. or is it a sign that the amd cards will beat Nvidia with RT off by a wide margin... and get beaten badly with RT ON?
If you look that 4K 30 is for RT.. Yeah it's an oversight.

Leonidas

4k is more of a waste than 60 FPS. 1440p on most TVs looks very sharp, 30 FPS looks pretty bad though.
1440p looks like garbage to me on my 4K screen. Lowest res. I'd use is ~1800p or DLSS which upscales from lower resolutions, but still looks way better than 1440p.

I've been enjoying way to many crisp native 4K games lately to not notice a difference.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Far-Cry-6-Setting.jpg

poor optimisation
a classic Ubisoft
Nah, RT is really heavy. 1440p 60 fps on a 3070 is ok considering how I ran Metro Exodus at 1440p 60 fps with DLSS on my 2080 which is roughly 35% weaker than the 3070.

Cyberpunk at 1440p without DLSS, high to medium settings and maxed out RT settings runs at 6 fps. 6. With DLSS, i can get up to 30-35 fps.

Control I was forced to run at 960p dlss'd upto 1440p in order to get a smooth 60 fps because that game dropped frames every time the shooting started. The ray traced debris just destroyed the framerate.

1440p 60 fps in an open world game with RT reflections at Ultra is actually pretty good. If you drop down to High settings like everyone should on PC then you should get at least a 20% boost. If not more.

What devs need to do is downgrade the RT reflections similar to what they do on consoles with checkerboard reflections. No reason to have full resolution RT reflections since reflections in real life are already blurry and grainy. No one is going to notice checkerboarding artifacts in puddles.

Reallink

Lol here we go again with the 4k 60fps B's...go 1440p, 60fps with etc. Ffs

Read what they said again. "Targeting 4K" means it's dynamic 4K, and probably already runs at 1440p or lower most of the time. These consoles are weak as fuck, Sony are already turning a hardware profit on the disc edition.

Last edited:

NickFire

Ok so where are the brave warriors who called out series S as not being next gen / false advertising for not having ray tracing in some games? Does this mean ps5 and series X are going to be held now to this imaginary standard? I bet not........how convenient.
What are you even talking about?

Are you sure it was ray tracing in some games that made people loathe the Series S? I thought it was weaker gpu and ram. In fact, I thought people were even posting quotes from some devs who were questioning the ram.

dcmk7

Banned

Are you sure it was ray tracing in some games that made people loathe the Series S? I thought it was weaker gpu and ram. In fact, I thought people were even posting quotes from some devs who were questioning the ram.
Exactly.

People forget that many developers had reservations about it.

Jason Ronald's misleading claims didn't help the situation. Along with all the compromised games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

It was anything that made it not exactly the same as series X - which allegedly made Series S "not next gen" and "false advertising". This included Ray Tracing in many examples.

Top Bottom