• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Delays Roller Champions

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The developers announced the plans to delay the game without much fanfare this week in a post within the game's Discord channel that confirmed as much. The new game is now scheduled to release at some point during "late spring," though a more specific release date was not shared in the announcement.

For those who do not currently take part in the Discord chats about Roller Champions, the notice about the delay said that the team looked at "every possible scenario" before concluding more time was needed to work on the game. As such, the team said it believes it's the right decision both for the game overall and the competitive scene that's developed from the beta.

"We are hard at work for the wait to be worth your confidence in Roller Champions as the game is getting closer to launch every day," the statement said. "We know that many of you have been following the development of the game for a while now and to showcase our appreciation of your continued support, we wanted to make sure you get this news first: Roller Champions will be releasing this late spring."

The message closed by saying "the wait is almost over" with thanks given again to those who've supported the game on its road to release.

Kuranghi

roller skates deal with it GIF

CamHostage

Never heard of it

Man, we're going to have to go way, way back for this one...

Once upon a time, there was a magical event called the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3. And one day, in the long-forgotten Summer of 2019, game forger Ubisoft revealed upon the E3 extravaganza a free-to-play sporting experience it called "Roller Champions", which is promised to release to all the land in the coming days. But then, darkness fell upon the makers, and they delayed and delayed, and delayed...

(*This was supposed to be Ubisoft's answer to Rocket League, but as with a lot of "Ubisoft's answer to X" titles, it has yet to show that the game has any of the answers.)

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
So over the last 18 months rollerskating has experienced the biggest resurgence in over 30 years. All stock sells out almost instantly and the waiting lists are huge.

And Ubi cant get their shit together enough to capitalize on it? Lolz

Jinzo Prime

Man, I'm going to have to go way, way back for this one...

Once upon a time, there was a magical event called the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3. And at E3, in the long-forgotten Summer of 2019, game forger Ubisoft revealed upon the E3 extravaganza a free-to-play sporting experience it called "Roller Champions", which is promised to release to all the land in the coming days. But then, darkness fell upon the makers, and they delayed and delayed, and delayed...

(*This was supposed to be Ubisoft's answer to Rocket League, but as with a lot of "Ubisoft's answer to X" titles, it has yet to show that the game has any of the answers.)

Legitimately, what happened to Ubisoft? They used to be such trendsetters, but now they're sad imitators of more popular games.

Hyper Scape~~Apex Legends
The Division~~Destiny
Tom Clancy's XDefient~~Modern Warfare
Immortals Fenix Rising ~~Breath of the Wild

They need a restructuring from top to bottom ASAP

What ever happened to XDefient, anyhow? I assumed they didn't want it competing with the co-op shooter they released recently, but we still haven't heard anything about it in a while, and this would be a great opening for a new multiplayer shooter.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I remember this trailer. Yeah, there's no way this was coming out. It has the stink of trend-chasing wafting from its pores.

. . .just way too many barely formed thoughts that get brought to game development at UBISOFT and instead of focusing on the ones that could actually do well (Skull and FUCKING Bones as an example) they go all in on all of them. Diversifying your game output is great, but someone had to see this and think "Maybe this isn't the one."

AX8

Banned
I don't even know what this is, what happened to Riders Republic? That game was never heard of again after release

HAYA8U5A

Needs more Sean Atkinson and The Bod Squad. Am I the only person in the world that misses WSL RollerJam or even remembers it? :pie_thinking:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Ubisoft are desperate for a live service game that people actually want to play. How many of these are in development right now? Hyperscape was a disaster, this won’t be much better. Nobody is going to play the Call of Duty clone because you can just play the real thing. Assassins Creed is turning into a GaaS.

This company is reeling and begging to be bought out by an investment firm.

Last edited:

Banned
say what you want, but at least Ubisoft is trying to make unique games at times, which cannot be said for many AAA studios these days

II_JumPeR_I

Anyone get the feeling there's a massive wave of layoffs coming Ubisoft's way?
Yup. Game wise is there anything exciting on the horizon from Ubisoft lol?
You either have DoA f2p games or bloated open world games with samey gameplay shared across.

wipeout364

Watched the video and the graphics/art style turned me off. Looks like that EA dodgeball game that had a similar art style, or the Sony destruction all stars racing game which both were avoided by me and it seems like gaming in general.

Not sure why developers think we want more games with that style, Fortnite is enough frankly. It just looks cheap when other games copy it.

They should licensed some roller derby girl teams would have made the game stand out more and gone with a slightly more realistic style. There is a lot of rockabilly/Tatoo art influence in roller derby as well; that also would have been an interesting design direction that might make the game stand out

HIkMoGb.jpg
[

d2fDbPB.jpg

afov6Ow.jpg

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
So many delayed and canceled games.... so many sales failures ... Is Ubisoft still a profitable company these days?

It really was awesome. I think it could have had a pretty stable community if it had launched free to play and with a better artstyle.
You're right(about the F2P part). It tried to do the Rocket League thing of launching free on PS Plus to get a boost.

Last edited:

Reallink

I have literally never heard about or seen this game at all, genuinely thought this was a new announcement til I saw the post dates.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I am shocked I must say, shocked. Ubisoft needs to stop looking at fortnite. Fortnite was a one off and nobody wants to see that art style constantly. I will give them at least some credit for trying something different and at least launching FTP. I expect the same fate for Tom clancy’s Xdefiant, that game needs to reconsider Its art style as well, we already have fortnite, valorant and Overwatch.

Last edited:
I am shocked I must say, shocked. Ubisoft needs to stop looking at fortnite. Fortnite was a one off and nobody wants to see that art style constantly. I will give them at least some credit for trying something different and at least launching FTP. I expect the same fate for Tom clancy’s Xdefiant, that game needs to reconsider Its art style as well, we already have fortnite, valorant and Overwatch.
Ubisoft is sitting on a free to play Trials sequel goldmine (the user-made content alone would keep people coming back to that one) and instead we get something like this, with very little depth, and very repetitive gameplay. That gaming bolt review above suggests exactly what I expected about this game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game released in May on Xbox and PS. It looks like each season lasts a month. So if this is true, the game will be cancelled around end of August.

Well, at least it's F2P. Just imagine if it was a paid game

If this game gets cancelled after 3-4 months, is this a world record for fastest shut down game?

Top Bottom