• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot Says 2023 Is Crucial for the Company

Umbasaborne

Banned
Wait, this idiot just wised up to the idea that 2023 is crucial? Well fuck! if he had been running every year as crucial Ubi wouldn’t be in this state. This clown needs to be removed. Isn’t there someone in France that can take over?
The problem is that they simply ran out of games to release. They had a bunch of games in the pipe line and every single one of them got delayed, backing up their pipeline siginifcantly. Its unheard for a company like ubisoft to go more than a full calendar year without a single major new multiplatform release, and thats precisely what happened.

yurinka

Wait, this idiot just wised up to the idea that 2023 is crucial? Well fuck! if he had been running every year as crucial Ubi wouldn’t be in this state. This clown needs to be removed. Isn’t there someone in France that can take over?
This 'idiot' runs the most successful European game companies, which is also one of the oldest active ones in Europe, and one of the biggest 3rd party companies in the world.

Kept improving their revenue during many years being most of them profitable, and employs over 20000 people located in around 40 offices spread around the world.

Had a bad year after getting impacted by covid, some important projects got delayed and a handful underperformed, so they had a bad year or two and that affected their stocks and now they need to do some adjustments to reduce some costs, like canning a few games in early stages of development. That's all, nothing dramatic or special. They'll recover once a handful of the many games they have under development becomes a huge success, as usual in many of their games.

Tencent, the most successful gaming company in the world, recently did invest on them securing that the Guillemots had full control of the company to secure it against unwanted acquisitions. And if they did it, it's after looking at their current state and projects under development and considering that their mid and long term plans and projects are promising.

So no, he won't be removed because he and his family has full control and because there's no reason to do it. He'll retire once he considers it's the time to do so (he's 62 years old) but I don't see that happening soon.

Last edited:
The more I read about Ubisoft’s problems, the more I am convinced Mythic Quest is not just hyperbolic satire and based on actual events.

I think a big part of the problem is that they’re reaching a point of franchise fatigue with the same shit being churned out every year or two. It’s taken them a few years to realize this, but their development model has them locked into it for another couple years before they can pivot, so their only option in the immediate future is to deliver on current projects. Changing an entire organization’s development practice would basically upend everything they are working on now and disrupt their future plans so I don’t think it’s an option for them to change this any time soon.

Really they just picked a very bad time for this issue to come to light, in the face of economic slowdown and less discretionary spending. It’s clear the video game industry is more resistant to recessions, but I think that is more as a whole - there will still be winners and losers within, Ubisoft looks like a loser to me.

zkorejo

"Get your shit straight".. isn't really a collaborative or something a good leader should use as a strategy to deflect blame when the ship sinks.

They should maybe cancel shit games and make some huge changes for salvageable IPs. Kill the "Ubi The Game Formula" and try to breathe some new life into those games. Atleast TRY to tell a story.. atleast try to be more passionate about a project.

Thousands of employees working on the game from all over the world.. maybe that's the problem? Maybe the game needs to be made by a small team that really believes and gives a shit about that project.

Top Bottom