• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft apologizes for showing "raised fist" in mobile game

Ubisoft recently released a new Tom Clancy mobile game called Elite Squad, where you form a squad of Ubisoft All-Stars (Rayman when??) to take down a "faceless organization that wants to build a new world order".

However, there's some imagery in the intro video that seems to have ruffled some feathers, leading to Ubisoft putting out a statement a few hours ago:

Here is the intro video in question:

Seems like it hit a little too close to home for some?

So far it's getting 4.4 stars rating on App Store and is now #4 in Role-Playing, whatever category that is supposed to be. If this is the Streisand Effect in action, then congrats Ree and Co. I had never heard of this before and would not have cared less if I did but now I'm going to download and play it for a day just so I can see if there's an actual game after the intro video or not.

Dolomite

Feel like unrest and political discontent vs police state is a reccuring theme for longer than I can remember. It's literally the premise of most games up until this year when it kind of manifested itself in reality.

Tom Clancy Elite Squad BLM DLC confirmed, played by a genderless pan sexual.
Jokes on you, I'd play the fuck out of that

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I did an image search for "Black power" and got the symbol in the intro. It's not very imaginative of Ubi to use a symbol as well known as that for something else. It could have been a religious symbol or some other kind - it would have been just as out of place.

GiJoint

Feel like unrest and political discontent vs police state is a reccuring theme for longer than I can remember. It's literally the premise of most games up until this year when it kind of manifested itself in reality.

Jokes on you, I'd play the fuck out of that
Good for you buttercup.

"harmful in its inclusion"

People writing copy for Ubi are as talented as Ubi is in not caving in to the capricious infantile demands of the brats constantly testing their hold on the grownups.

they mad someone told the truth about them
Kk9HXD9.jpg

hyperbertha

I checked the like ratio, and comments in favor of this is liked usually in the 1000s while opposing ones are in the 200s. Is the political balance in twitter really that heavily skewed to left?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like people who are trying to fight the good fight are just grasping at straws. It’s not like people haven’t thrown their fist up as a symbol of opposing the other side. Giving someone the middle finger is offensive, but we don’t insist that’s wrong. In fact, it’s part of most people’s daily lives to tell someone to f*ck off or throw them the bird. They don’t need to have a committee meeting every time they want to showcase two sides fighting against one another. They’ll insist hindering that type of media is actually beneficial. The only thing these SJW can do is oppose each other and game companies frolicking over to ResetEra does not but sooth their sore eyes from whatever they are offended about. Tom Clancy would probably roll in his grave if he knew the people in charge over his intellectual properties were such push overs.

Last edited:
Okay, I actually downloaded and played this. There are a number of characters from other Tom Clancy franchise titles, including Sam Fisher who are unlockable. I don't know if these characters can be unlocked through normal gameplay or if you have to buy them using premium currency.

The actual gameplay seems to be you watch your guys shoot at their guys until someone wins. Occasionally you push a button that does like an air strike or something. It doesn't sound very engaging and it isn't. I guess I shouldn't expect that much from a mobile game, but this isn't anything like an actual Tom Clancy video game where you do things.

I've done my civic duty by trying this game for you guys, now it's time to uninstall. I just want them to make a new fucking Splinter Cell game already but I'm not exactly holding out any hope here.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean...you don't do this type of thing accidentally. If that's where your beliefs lie, have the balls to stand behind it. I'm sure people who stand for the BLM movement don't need folks who take advantage of the situation in this country as if it were a trend.

Kerotan

I wonder if R* shit the bed and pulled the rumoured cops and robbers update. The summer update was by far their smallest in years. I just hope they add it in next year at some point when they grow a set of balls and stop pandering to over sensitive clowns.

There's no way the humour in VI won't be dumbed down thanks to the woke crowd. Shame.

Stuart360

This stuff is really getting out of control, you would think there would have to be a tipping point at some point.
Maybe we need a global civial war to get the human race back on track. Free thinking people vs the retarded loons of the world.

FlyLo

Instead of apologizing for that, they should be apologizing for the sorry state of Ubisoft games this generation.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
The designer of the Pokemon, in Detective Pikachu, reffered these characters as a "kill squad" (death squad) lmao wut?

RedCarp04

Banned
Arknights (btw game is good, one of the best f2p mobile games out there) literally has a similar premise and one of the plotlines has you basically tasked with putting down a violent uprising movement. I don't see any complaints about that.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Theres protests and then there’s anarchy with a nefarious ideological push. Too bad the idiots partaking don’t even know the difference.

No choice but to give black people immunity from the law. If the communities effected want it back, they’ll need to open their mouths finally.

Top Bottom