• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Apologizes For Assassin's Creed Retrospective Ad That Includes No Women

JLMC469

Banned
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Pretty dumb, they used the nice CGI announcement trailers in the first video, which were all male, who cares? In the second one they had to splice in crappy gameplay for the female characters

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Too little, too late, Ubisoft. You added about ten seconds of Female (emphasized, bolded and underlined because I am beholden to the Gash) assassins to a 40 something second clip (I didn't bother counting because most of the run time was devoted to trashy alcoholic womanizing men who all look the same)

And furthermore, with the exception of my Chinese goddess Shao Jun, all of the female clips were relegated to gameplay. What's that, Ubisoft? Too afraid to feature females in your FMV's? I suppose they don't belong in visually stunning cinematics, but rather, in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant, presumably with a male, to further indulge the patriarchy and it's misogynistic antiquated heteronormative narrative, right?

I won't stand for it, and neither should you, dear reader. We must become (SJ)Warriors and take our ideology to this, the most important of battlefields - entertainment.

Last edited:
Too little, too late, Ubisoft. You added about ten seconds of Female (emphasized, bolded and underlined because I am beholden to the Gash) assassins to a 40 something second clip (I didn't bother counting because most of the run time was devoted to trashy alcoholic womanizing men who all look the same)

And furthermore, with the exception of my Chinese goddess Shao Jun, all of the female clips were relegated to gameplay. What's that, Ubisoft? Too afraid to feature females in your FMV's? I suppose they don't belong in visually stunning cinematics, but rather, in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant, presumably with a male, to further indulge the patriarchy and it's misogynistic antiquated heteronormative narrative, right?

I won't stand for it, and neither should you, dear reader. We must become (SJ)Warriors and take our ideology to this, the most important of battlefields - entertainment.

Is this a new copypasta?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Why don’t they just apologize for the first 5 games if they’re seriously trying to apologize for not having female assassins. Why don’t they ask Jade Raymond (now part of Google) why Desmond wasn’t a girl? To my knowledge, the first time they did include a female star, it was a Vita game. They would literally need to kill the franchise and reboot it to make up for not having a female lead. Throwing in a female lead now makes more sense because the main timeline is a mess. It’s all basically a sim inside a sim. Why not think of this when you create an IP versus making up apologizes that don’t matter to 90% of the fan base?

DJT123

Apology is far worse than complaint. We expect there to be dumb humans out there. We shouldn't expect "professionals" to humor them.

sobaka770

Banned
This isn't dumb pandering, Ubi fucked up. It's extremely tone-deaf to make a collage of over 13 games and only feature male characters even for later games where you had a choice of protagonist, such as only seeing Jacob for Syndicate and for Odyssey going with Darius.

Even I noticed it and this trailer had to go through some approvals so it's not a coincidence.

In general Ubi is extremely reactionary and tone deaf, their lack of commitment to a character makes them bland and for do stuff like this where they don't market a cooler character like Kassandra in favor of Alexios for Odyssey but now they compensate by shoving female Eivor everywhere in a viking fantasy.

Last edited:

TUROK

At this point apologizing and moving on quickly is the best thing they can do. Outrage has a short attention span anyway.

Top Bottom