• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two years deep, Why are there so few next gen exclusive games?

nial

Gold Member
Bloodborne, until dawn, the witcher 3, halo 5, forza 6, batman arkham knight, dying light, mkx, the order 1886, plus many more
PS4 had quite some next-gen only games in 2015 compared to PS5 in 2022. I mean, only LBP3 was cross-gen I think? Driveclub, Killzone, Infamous, Tearaway, Knack were all PS4 exclusives. Meanwhile in PS5 you've only got Ratchet, Returnal, Destruction AllStars and remakes of PS3 games (DS and TLOU).

Because games can scale down for less powerful hardware. The fact consoles are easier to develop for across multiple platforms these days means it just makes sense to have last gen versions if possible.

You mention The Witcher 3 as a prime example of being this "next gen" game, but even that could be cut back to run on Switch.
W3 came out 2 years before the Switch launched, so it kind of did go "next gen" by going on the Switch, at the time

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There is a reason why Sony and Microsoft is placing more importance to PC in recent years.

Godot25

Banned
Because building games take time and especially now.
Just look at Ragnarok. That is a game that is built on top of existing technologies/lore/animation/gameplay and it took 4 years to develop. If you need to build new technologies on new platforms, it's just long process. And also, we just had huge pandemic that fucked up workflow of many studios.

People are naive if they think that things will be like in PS3/360 era when Naughty Dog managed to produce 4 high quality games in one generation. We will be lucky if we can manage 2 ND games (outside of remakes) in one generation. That's just truth of it. Do you think Sony Santa Monica will be able to produce several games during this gen? Ragnarok and that new IP will be probably only-ones. Do you think that BGS will be able to make Starfield, new TES and new Fallout in one generation? Nope.

This is new normal.

Last edited:

Three

By 2015, the ps4 and xbox one had developed a healthy library of big titles only availible on those consoles. Bloodborne, until dawn, the witcher 3, halo 5, forza 6, batman arkham knight, dying light, mkx, the order 1886, plus many more. Now we are two years into this console cycle, and i can only think of 5 releases this year that are exclusive to next gen. The callisto protocol, gotham knights, and that destroy all humans remake, and skull and bones
Simple reason, they make money selling games, they lose money on hardware. Once they start making a profit on hardware they will try and shift people over by making next gen exclusives. For now, especially MS, are just trying to get people to sign up for GP and sell games.

ANIMAL1975

By 2015, the ps4 and xbox one had developed a healthy library of big titles only availible on those consoles. Bloodborne, until dawn, the witcher 3, halo 5, forza 6, batman arkham knight, dying light, mkx, the order 1886, plus many more. Now we are two years into this console cycle, and i can only think of 5 releases this year that are exclusive to next gen. The callisto protocol, gotham knights, and that destroy all humans remake, and skull and bones

Because you touch yourself at night.

uLSpmWo.jpg

Close thread OP

Check your video's upload date. What you're presenting here is the PS5's SSD running the non-optimized PS4 code through backward compatibility. That isn't the native PS5 version of Cyberpunk, hence why the point you're trying to make utilizing this as evidence doesn't hold any weight.
Then you didn't get my point. Even if the game loads faster on the optimized version, it still doesn't require an SSD that fast, as is evidenced by the fact that the game loads just as fast on XSX, a console with a significantly slower SSD:

And even on a regular SATA SSD, which is over four times slower than the XSX SSD:

The real benefit of an SSD in Cyberpunk is having one at all. The type and speed doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Because the video game industry is slowly creeping towards a crash, and exclusives will have to go first since they're not as profitable as multiplatform, including PC.

Also, video games are more expensive to develop than EVER before in history, so why should companies limit where they release their games?
Video games being more widely available will lead to a crash?

pramod

Banned
Because it takes like 5+ years to build an optimized custom engine like Capcom's RE engine. Everyone else just uses Unreal.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
That’s why I specifically said PS5-level SSD. Cyberpunk will load faster on an SSD, but the exact type barely matters. Even a cheapo SATA model will load the game nearly as fast as the best NVME drive on the market.

Compared to a mechanical drive, the PS5 SSD only cuts loading times in half, despite being dozens of times faster on paper:

I wasn't talking about simple load times, I was referring to walking/driving around the city. With an HDD the crowds and cars disappear momentarily when you reach high speeds. With an SSD, the cars and pedestrians never disappear because the game has the necessary performance to load the assets in real time.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about simple load times, I was referring to walking/driving around the city. With an HDD the crowds and cars disappear momentarily when you reach high speeds. With an SSD, the cars and pedestrians never disappear because the game has the necessary performance to load the assets in real time.
So is the PS5 version of the game significantly less affected by this than the XSX version, or the PC version running on a SATA/PCIe 3.0 SSD? If not, my point still stands.

Arun1910

Money. Most developers don't care or can't afford to make the best game they can make with the new tech because they want/need to sell more copies.
This whole gen has been a big disappointed for me. Are people still going to say "its too early" when we are 3 years into this gen and still getting cross gen games?
Developers most definitely care. It's the Product Managers and people higher up that don't give developers time, resources and money to make what they want.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
im not complaining. nearly 2 years in and no reason for me to buy either. well, if i didn't have a PC i'd have definitely got a Series X by now but there is zero reason for me to get a PS5. maybe next year because i can't see myself waiting to play FFVII Rebirth on PC plus my PC isn't guarenteed to be able to play 2023/2024 games. i just hope Sony make a Slim PS5 next year cause I really really don't want to have that ugly ass PS5 in my house.

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

Callisto protocol is cross gen

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mainly because the last and current gen consoles are basically identical, with the new ones just being more powerful versions of the same thing with a few new features. So it's very easy to make a game for all of them. That wasn't the case last gen, the 360 and (in particular) the PS3 were very different from the XB1/PS4, so making a cross-gen game required significantly more work. Now all you have to do is pretty much make sure to not really take advantage of the SSDs or CPUs in a way the old consoles can't replicate, everything else can easily be scaled down (or up).

RAIDEN1

For me the Xbox Series X meets my next-gen needs, with Game-pass, and a great BC catalogue, (though still room for improvement) that for me is what on paper is an ideal console to have no matter who the brand is... (may not be relevant to the thread but just sayin..)

Kev Kev

Despite what inner nerd circles and their fanboys would have you believe, most people don't care about exclusives.

So you just don't see a big focus on having a bunch of those because consumers aren't demanding it, by-and-large. Also, it's only been two years, and dev times seems to be ridiculously long these days (overly long, in fact), and COVID probably has a lot to do with all of it.

Last edited:
Chip shortages making supply lower, the pandemic and war making people have less disposable income, both of those make it harder to justify leaving behind people without those consoles until both Xbox and Playstation stop selling out soon after restocks

rolandss

I’m really disappointed in the PS5 so far. Doesn’t feel like much of an upgrade over the PS4. And the lack of releases in general two years in sucks. Everything I’ve played on it I could have played on the pro and got 90% of the same experience. Worst “next gen” I can remember.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Maybe because devs didn't expect RDNA2 GPUs to be so weak at RT and they are taking more time to adapt/downgrade their games.

Short answer, COVID-19.

First, COVID shut down a lot of development for a long time and we're just now getting back up to speed. So rather than trash all the work on these previous gen games, it makes more sense to scale them up and make current gen versions as well, with more bells and whistles, like VRR, 120hz modes, Ray-tracing, higher LOD, and shorter loadtimes. And honestly, I'm fine with this. I'm loving the bells and whistles. I'm loving the fact that I don't have to deal with dogshit framerates in the 20s anymore, and dynamic resolutions that drop below 1080p, and minute and a half load times. This in-between time is giving studios time to develop their skills with the new consoles, such that once we're fully into the current gen, they should be pumping out some super impressive stuff.

Second, COVID shut down a lot of hardware manufacturing, which again is just now starting to get back to normal. So that means there's fewer current gen consoles out there and many are still in the hands of scalpers. Thus, the audience for current gen games is smaller than a normal gaming generation, which means financially, it doesn't make a lot of sense right now to limit your sales to just PS5 and XSeries consoles. But, with chip shortages seemingly starting to clear up now, given the price drops in graphic cards, we should rounding the bend on this issue.

Third, international supply chains are fucked, with massive shipping containers sitting in ports for days and weeks longer than normal or getting re-routed from one port to another, which again means gaming companies can't get their product to end users fast enough. For example, I read an article about the US shipping industry recently. The Los Angeles seaports are so backed up, they're re-routing things to the Savannah, GA and New York ports, which are also backed up and which are on the whole other side of the country. So again, if end users don't have PS5s and XSeries consoles, it makes no sense to develop exclusives for those platforms.

Generally, the pandemic caused an economic slowdown and the war in Ukraine, which produces a lot of the worlds grain, has continued the slowdown, such that we're teetering on the edge of a recession, meaning less disposable income for people and industries and it's better to play things safe and conservative for now.

Last edited:

kevm3

Because game development is increasingly more expensive, and these modern games are extremely expensive. Couple that with limited 'next-gen' adoption due to chip shortage and other issues, and you have a situation where it's very dangerous to make games next-gen only. Increasingly expensive games with relatively low adoption of next gen means it's not really financially feasible to limit a game's platform to next gen only

Op can't think of Demon's Souls remake, Returnal, Ratchet, TLOU1 remake, ghostwire tokyo or Astro's Playroom. What do these all have in common? hmmmm

Last edited:

kevm3

I also think the 'old strategy' was for Microsoft or Sony to have their box in everyone's living room and be the platform to dominate the living room. I think companies are moving away from the hardware domination strategy and realizing that software is much more profitable and less risky than trying to have hardware that dominates the living room since there are so many ways to consume media now.

The ultimate goal of these companies is to make profit. Are they going to make more by having their console the only box in someone's living room and using exclusives as an incentive to push their box or do they want to expose their games to as large an audience as possible? I feel like they are moving towards the latter. Companies are much more inclined to keep games that have a baseline version that can be run on lowest common denominator hardware and then scaled with with a few enhancements for the 'next gen' version. It's going to take a much larger adoption of these next gen machines before companies feel comfortable in making all of their games fully utilize that hardware and is 'only possible' on next gen machines.

Belthazar

Because games can scale better between the two generations due to a very similar architecture and because of backwards compatibility, as for some games they might as well just drop a PS4/X1 version that will be playable in PS5/Series and it won't make much of a difference. So yeah, developing for PS4 is very worthwhile.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Op can't think of Demon's Souls remake, Returnal, Ratchet, TLOU1 remake, ghostwire tokyo or Astro's Playroom. What do these all have in common? hmmmm
Get your fan boy bullshit the fuck out of here. I was reffering to games releasing this year, the second year of these consoles life, compared to 2015, the second year of those consoles life. Im so sick of you fucking warriors assuming everyone is out to offend your favorite brands. The console warriors on this site are the biggest bunch of fucking snow flakes ive ever seen, and ive seen era. If what i said bothered you that much then go and report me for concern trolling, thats usually what brand warriors do right? The sooner you realize these console makers dont give a shit about you, the happier you’ll be.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They all could have easily been released for last gen consoles. None of these games are doing anything special and the choice to make them "next gen" only was purely for PR or development cost savings.

tommib

Get your fan boy bullshit the fuck out of here. I was reffering to games releasing this year, the second year of these consoles life, compared to 2015, the second year of those consoles life. Im so sick of you fucking warriors assuming everyone is out to offend your favorite brands. The console warriors on this site are the biggest bunch of fucking snow flakes ive ever seen, and ive seen era. If what i said bothered you that much then go and report me for concern trolling, thats usually what brand warriors do right? The sooner you realize these console makers dont give a shit about you, the happier you’ll be.
Drama Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Umbasaborne

Banned
They all could have easily been released for last gen consoles. None of these games are doing anything special and the choice to make them "next gen" only was purely for PR or development cost savings.
Demons souls seems like a game that legitimatley takes good advantage of the ps5, so does astros play room.

StormCell

I think we're watching a slow death of the traditional home console model. Right now, we've seen a streamlining of hardware advancement so that platform compatibility allows for scaling performance, easy texture replacements, and similar. As a result, for the moment, the publishers can get away with selling you different versions of products (aka PS4 version, PS5 version, etc) that are really mostly just inherited enhancements in the form of higher resolution and boosted framerates, and then there's sometimes enhanced textures which were probably the base textures that were then downgraded to work on the older hardware (so not much additional effort needed), and then finally maybe they commit a little additional code to take advantage of things like new raytracing features and such.

That's literally how I view Spider-man PS4 versus Spider-man PS5 and GoT Director's cut, etc. I foresee a future where we view new Playstation hardware as being more like the 'Pro' and less like a generational leap, and eventually, just like on PC, we'll buy a game and just naturally expect that game to play better on some newer Playstation hardware rather than needing to buy some new "enhanced" package. Of course, if they want to go the ol' Skyrim route, that really wouldn't surprise much.

It just seems like a natural trajectory that eventually PC gaming and home console gaming will run smack into each other. Hopefully both are not swallowed by the void that is mobile. I would just quit playing games at that point.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Everyone’s crying. Wasn’t the narrative before that having the same games running at 60 fps was next-gen enough? “I just want the games to look the same and run at 60 fps”. It’s exactly what we’re getting. #stopthecrying
This.
All you hear in the comments on the official blog or Devs Twitter is 60fps or 120fps.
Devs are giving gamers what they want.
And more so now that people realise it's possible they want more 120fps games because they can't go back to 60fps because it's a slideshow.
What would you do if you was a publisher?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Think about the math there. What happened a little over two years ago? You will find the answers you seek there.

Top Bottom