• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two year in, has the "duelling duel sense" had a major impact on how you enjoy game or pistols at dawn?

Almost at the two year mark for the consoles and the biggest difference is probably the controller. The Duelsense claims to be a "highly immersive gaming experience* that brings the action to life in the palms of your hands." As more games that utilize its features how do you feel about the haptics and immersion of the controller? While I do enjoy it, I don't think the feel is as accurate as I would have thought. My favorite part of it is simply footsteps...feed back on footsteps feels good, but outside of that its been okay. I do wish the controller had more weight and a more premium feel to it.

Is it just me that doesn't really think haptic feedback is all that? Everyone raves and it and I'm just like.....meh.

Same. Yeah, it's cool when implemented well (e.g. Returnal), but ultimately not something that I would care about when choosing which version of the game to buy. I think in Forbidden West I even dialed down the haptics settings to the minimum because it was distracting and not fun at all.

Not at all. I barely notice it. Maybe that's a good thing? I dunno. Once you get used to the dualsense features, the novelty sort of wears off and it just becomes "normal" to you.

omegasc

I love it, and usually prefer the PS5 version of games that use it. Going back and forth even on a "subpar" use like RE2/3 Remakes makes me miss the new trigger haptics. The LEDs changing with the health not so much, as I don't really look at the controller while playing.
Astro is THE showcase for the potential it has, but most devs won't go past the basics.
Even for PS4 games on PS5 I prefer the DualSense feeling.

Changing the gears of a GT3 car in Gran Turismo 7 should be added to Astro's Playroom as a controller showcase, that shit is violent.

Gimmick on par with the touchpad.
The touchpad was criminally underused, that thing could work as the equivalent of at least 6 different buttons, but you were lucky if it was used as two. Most games it is just one, which is so fucking dumb it hurts to think about. Games could have the entire set of character submenus mapped to the touchpad for direct access, instead of forcing you to go into a menu and tab around.

I think Killzone, of all games, was one of the only I can remember that actually used the damn thing properly.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Underrated feature that too many gaf users shit on because it's only on the playstation
fact of the matter is that it's the future of controller rumble.
with that being said i still find the Dualsense a bit of a disappointment since there's so many other controller innovations we've had in the past 10 years that the Dualsense hasn't really bothered with sadly.
plus i'm a bit concerned with the build quality. these controllers are extremely innovative but they also have a shitton of moving parts. if enough dust gets in it might become a problem

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Kanye West GIF by 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

Skifi28

Some games are kinda meh. In others the implementation is very good. GT7 has done a superb job with the controller and I couldn't go back to playing with a ds4.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah. I end up turning off trigger feedback in most shooters including Horizon. Haptics are cool but not game changing in most games. Astro bot and Demon Souls still have the best implementation. Most devs skimp on the audio part of the dualsense which really holds back the immersion effect.

NinjaBoiX

It’s a brilliant controller in terms of the fundamentals, but the extra features are a bit more hit and miss.
Is it just me that doesn't really think haptic feedback is all that? Everyone raves and it and I'm just like.....meh.
Yeah, I was just about to post something similar. It’s a cool feature in some games, kind of annoying in others. I’m often reminded of the thin “buzz” you get with Switch joycons, I kind of wish you could just switch to “basic” rumble as I often miss the fuller rumble you get with the XSX controller.

Similar story with the adaptive triggers, it’s really cool in games like HFW, but just a bit irritating in some third party games like Wreckfest, feels more like you’ve got grit trapped in the mechanism sometimes. Can you turn it off on a game by game basis?

I do like the speaker though, it’s very high quality, although I have turned it down a little from the default volume.

wipeout364

Adaptive triggers are gimmicky and in general would prefer they not be present, but the rest is nice ; not sure it’s a game changer as I don’t feel like I’m missing out when I use a switch pro controller or Xbox controller. I prefer the feel of the Xbox series X controller in my hands to the Dual sense by a large margin.

CyberChulo

I love it. I actually look for games that utilize it well when making a purchase decision. The last game I got was Sniper Elite 5 and really enjoy the force feedback of it on the different weapons. I love the half trigger 3rd person view and fps view as well.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I love it. I actually look for games that utilize it well when making a purchase decision. The last game I got was Sniper Elite 5 and really enjoy the force feedback of it on the different weapons. I love the half trigger 3rd person view and fps view as well.
The half trigger over the shoulder aim/view is so good. Then you have explosions that vary on haptic strength depending on how close you are.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I tend to turn off the triggers on everything. It was cool in Astro Bot but it's largely just a pain in the ass that doesn't add anything to the experience.

The haptics are really nice though, they feel like a natural evolution on rumble that doesn't get in the way.

it's great gimmick, just like all the other gimmicks like dampened triggers, haptics in the triggers, VR, AR, Rumble etc. the list goes on, and on. I think it did what it set out to do, it wowed ppl initially. It provides a feature set, that "could" enhance ones immersion that the other controllers can't. I'm glad they tried to do something "new" and different. When these guys stop trying is when we should be worried. As long as they try, I'm okay with it.

But, over time you become desensitize by it because it becomes the norm. Ppl were BLOWN away by rumble initially, then you got used to it. Ppl were BLOWN away by VR, then you got used to it.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Better grip and that’s pretty much it. Which is major. Everything else is a gimmick that aside from Astro’s Playroom, it’ll most likely never be utilized to the point of actually majorly change gameplay. I wish Sony would introduce a new
DualSense version to sell without all the bullshit but better battery. I will buy that. They can call it NonSense.

Top Bottom