• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two year in, has the "duelling duel sense" had a major impact on how you enjoy game or pistols at dawn?

tommib

Turned off the tiggers immediately after platting Astro. Daft idea for longevity. Love HD rumble though.
I do wonder how long they’ll last because of all those mechanisms and tension wires. I’m surprised the thing’s still ok after my Returnal plat and 100+ hours of GT7. I know rofif rofif had to replace his already.

jaysius

Banned
The extreme pressure like that required in No Man's Sky to launch a ship just feels like crunching a plastic water bottle which is not great. The intense vibration in Astro's Playroom was like driving down a dirt road in a beat up old truck with bad shocks.

The controller overall feels heavier than a Series controller even though it's about the same weight, it's because of where they put the weight in the Dual Sense.

The best part of the Dual Sense is the L1 R1 buttons, those are better than the LB RB Series buttons.

Too much vibration will lead to hand fatigue and other health issues that develop over time.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Underrated feature that too many gaf users shit on because it's only on the playstation
fact of the matter is that it's the future of controller rumble.
with that being said i still find the Dualsense a bit of a disappointment since there's so many other controller innovations we've had in the past 10 years that the Dualsense hasn't really bothered with sadly.
plus i'm a bit concerned with the build quality. these controllers are extremely innovative but they also have a shitton of moving parts. if enough dust gets in it might become a problem

Err what?
If the game uses the DualSense on Playstation 5 theres a strong chance it uses those same features on PC.

My legit only gripe...okay two gripes, and they are really nitpicky.
I think its too light.
Symmetric Sticks!

As soon as Sony allows third parties to make DualSense compatible controllers im jumping on whatever the new version of the Revo is, cuz i needs my Asymmetric sticks but I also want the weight.

Off topic: The touchpad is not going to be a thing, can Sony abandon it already.
Have any recent big games used it for anything other than being just an extra button or doing what could be done with the sticks?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I hope they keep the touchpad. It's not used enough, but it still can be used well in various ways:

- as a touchpad to control a cursor
- swiping for various actions
- a large button that can have different portions act as different buttons
- or simply tapped instead of pushed to do a different action

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I really love the use in some games. Astro Playroom is still the prime example, but Ratchet and Clank along with Returnal also make good use of the controller.

The thing that annoys me is in games like Control and Deathloop the controller vibrates every time the character takes a step. It is beyond annoying. I know Astro does this too, but as a fun platformer designed to show the features I don't mind it. On games like Deathloop or Control it just pisses me off. The is no way to customise the vibration either. Its either on or off. If I could just disable the footsteps I'd enjoy it a lot more.

It's hit or miss. Ultimately I put more importance on Sony making a pro controller or back paddle extension for Dualsense to truly enhance the gameplay. Microsoft are unmatched with the pro controller. The dualsense is a fun gimmick though.

Mossybrew

I just turn that haptic shit off these days, it does nothing for me other than make the triggers randomly harder to press. I don't find it "immersive" in the slightest, quite the opposite in fact.

GermanZepp

Better grip and that’s pretty much it. Which is major. Everything else is a gimmick that aside from Astro’s Playroom, it’ll most likely never be utilized to the point of actually majorly change gameplay. I wish Sony would introduce a new
DualSense version to sell without all the bullshit but better battery. I will buy that. They can call it NonSense.
Better grip is my priority in a new control. Maybe is nostalgia (since i don't really remember it so well) but if would prefer a more straith at the begining and curverd sided in the vibe of the dreamcast controller.

71lPDuOqgKL._SX466_.jpg

images

R6Rider

Gold Member
I just turn that haptic shit off these days, it does nothing for me other than make the triggers randomly harder to press. I don't find it "immersive" in the slightest, quite the opposite in fact.
The haptics don't affect the triggers. Haptics and adaptive triggers are separate things.

I do like the rumble motor feel. It reminds me of Apple taptic engine but larger.
I ended up turning off the force triggers as it's more tiring than immersive. Nifty neato but ultimately not used feature.

Pejo

Dualsense is my favorite controller yet. I wish devs would make more use out of the features, and both of my launch window controllers have stick drift already, but as far as comfort, build quality, and button positioning, it's near perfect.

Shifty

Nice title change.

The extra heft does make it better for chucking at someone from ten paces. DS4 would barely make a dent.

Immersion and controllers just don't work for me. Example driving game isn't immersive until you have a wheel and seat and preferably VR. I do enjoy haptics in VR but really only so I can tell I grabbed something without looking at it. On a controller I always turn it off. Really this of a to each their own kinda thing though.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I hope they keep the touchpad. It's not used enough, but it still can be used well in various ways:

- as a touchpad to control a cursor
- swiping for various actions
- a large button that can have different portions act as different buttons
- or simply tapped instead of pushed to do a different action
This all sounds horrible.
All of it
All of it.
All of it.
All of it!

I love it, so cool feeling triggers give resistance during driving or pulling a bow. The haptics feel so good when done well, feeling rain or different levels of vibrations for jumping, walking. I wouldn't want to go back to the old rumble controllers.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Name them and tell me if it wouldnt be smoother just doing that shit with whats already available on the controller.
Ghost of Tsushima = Swiping different directions did different actions allowing other buttons on controller to do other things.
Multiple games have used the touch pad as 4 mappable buttons. Elite Dangerous is one of them and I think Project Cars, but there's more.
Many games use it as a split button allowing an additional action that would otherwise be missing or combo presses.
Days Gone uses it for swiping access to different actions. Same with Killzone: Shadow Fall with drone actions
Witcher 3 - Each 4 of the various swipe directions directly opens a menu tab. Inventory, Map, etc.
Death Stranding uses one corner as dedicated photo mode button.
Works as a mouse pad in Final Fantasy 14.

And there's plenty more. But it's not going to matter how many I list or how useful they are.

Last edited:

Tams

I've only tried it using an 8BitDo adapter to play Splatoon. Super comfortable at first, but I think due to the control scheme it quickly started hurting my hands (no, I can't be bothered learning a new control scheme).

The Xbox controller, despite being one of the most comfortable, is the least innovative. Zero innovation with it.

TonyK

I like the haptics (recently I liked the rain effect in Ghostwire Tokyo), but I always disable the adaptive triggers after a broken controller I had for that reason. At the end of the day is a comfortable controller with improved haptics, what is nice but very far from something revolutionary.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I would definitely notice if it wasn't there.
Some games it adds soo much to it, while others the Devs didn't even bother and the game feels flat? I guess for the lack of a better word.
Anyone saying it's just a gimmick has never used it or have a collection of games that use it poorly.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Haptics are lame, Sony needs to release a version without them. I don't want to pay for things I don't use.

Black_Stride

And there's plenty more. But it's not going to matter how many I list or how useful they are.

That is correct.
Cuz even of all the ones youve mentioned of which most are simply shortcuts not even particularly great shortcuts, i only ever used the Touchpad in Ghost because who doesnt like the cool sheath animation Jin does.

Days Gone is probably the one I legit forgot you could even do cuz pressing R2/L2 to go where I need to go was actually faster and more intuitive than swiping on the touchpad.
The Witcher 3 used the touchpad to go to the game menu.....wanna guess how controllers without touchpads access the Game menu? Ill give you a hint, on the PS controller the button is called option.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
That is correct.
Cuz even of all the ones youve mentioned of which most are simply shortcuts not even particularly great shortcuts, i only ever used the Touchpad in Ghost because who doesnt like the cool sheath animation Jin does.

Days Gone is probably the one I legit forgot you could even do cuz pressing R2/L2 to go where I need to go was actually faster and more intuitive than swiping on the touchpad.
The Witcher 3 used the touchpad to go to the game menu.....wanna guess how controllers without touchpads access the Game menu? Ill give you a hint, on the PS controller the button is called option.
Abc Spencer GIF by The Bachelorette

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I do wonder how long they’ll last because of all those mechanisms and tension wires. I’m surprised the thing’s still ok after my Returnal plat and 100+ hours of GT7. I know rofif rofif had to replace his already.
oh yeah. Returnal broke my right spring. Easy fix. I just replaced the spring.
I think the new production models have a thicker spring

XXL

It's a really great controller and all the feedbacks (when done properly) definitely adds to the overall experience.

Playing on the Series X feels weird without it at first, that goes away though.

I've only tried it using an 8BitDo adapter to play Splatoon. Super comfortable at first, but I think due to the control scheme it quickly started hurting my hands (no, I can't be bothered learning a new control scheme).

The Xbox controller, despite being one of the most comfortable, is the least innovative. Zero innovation with it.
Not true, they put the share button on the Xbox controller, thats real innovation....

Last edited:

shubik

I absolutely love the DualSense. It’s not just a gimmick in my eyes. It enhances my gaming experience. Best example is Returnal.

it’s a little let down when a new game is not using it properly.

Three

Name them and tell me if it wouldnt be smoother just doing that shit with whats already available on the controller.
You clearly haven't played witcher 3 or prefer to go into menus with 3 button presses. NBA 2k strategy changes without going into menus. The touchpad can act like several buttons/shortcuts that isn't "already available on the controller".

BreakOut

I love the controller and it truest makes an impact. It feels good and hard argue with immersion improvements. When games make great use of it it also becomes unique. Returnal uses half way on the trigger for a different gunshot then if you pull it all the way. Essentially making it 2 buttons. You can disable this if you don’t like it but regardless it’s a huge impact on what games can do.

Top Bottom