• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two More Kingdom Hearts Games Are in the Works, Tetsuya Nomura Confirms.

brap

Banned
Unless they limit themselves to old disney classics i couldn't care less. Half the worlds in kingdom hearts 3 where unknown to me.

Also fire the director and get somebody that can actually write a story.

Kingdom hearts 3 was awful.
Who asked for a Frozen world? Fuck that tumblr girl bullshit. Fuck Tangled and Big Hero 6 too. Trying too hard to appeal to zoomers instead of people that have been playing these games for years.

mickaus

The thing I disliked most about Kingdom Hearts 3 was it was only about 6 worlds long, after both 1 and 2 had about 12. I think they fully developed Kingdom Hearts 3 with about 12 worlds and then just decided to split the game into multiple instalments a.k.a. FF7 remake. My Nintendo DS game 358/2 I think had more than 6 worlds, Square Enix is getting so greedy these days. :messenger_frowning_

Kenpachii

Who asked for a Frozen world? Fuck that tumblr girl bullshit. Fuck Tangled and Big Hero 6 too. Trying too hard to appeal to zoomers instead of people that have been playing these games for years.

Exactly, all of them are soulless shit.

Give me shit like the sword in the stone or rescuers

If not they can ditch disney all together and simple feature movie sets such labyrinth, merry poppings who framed roger rabbit.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The thing I disliked most about Kingdom Hearts 3 was it was only about 6 worlds long, after both 1 and 2 had about 12. I think they fully developed Kingdom Hearts 3 with about 12 worlds and then just decided to split the game into multiple instalments a.k.a. FF7 remake. My Nintendo DS game 358/2 I think had more than 6 worlds, Square Enix is getting so greedy these days. :messenger_frowning_

and that, give us something like 15-20 worlds now.

Saber

Gold Member
Sounds like more remakes than actual game. Pretty sure they spend a hell of time and money on that KH3, which isn't that bad but its pretty meh(most of world choices are trash though). The DLC is a failure, waste of cash for something you can watch on youtube.

I can see they remaking 358/2 day, re-using all assets. Its easly to picture this game getting a remake because of all the already used videos and the fact that the DS version is pretty mediocre in terms of gameplay and mechanics.

They could also make a game out of that stupid KH phone game. At least would spare people of looking into a stupid phone game in search of something to answer that crazy KH story.

Last edited:

RCU005

The biggest issue with the game was that they rushed the story so badly! They saved everyone in the last five minutes, and one of them in the credits. I think everyone following the story (probably not many, though) was like WTF? There were plots that needed time to develop their closure, like Terra’s. The story needed time to explain how Xion would come back, but no, let’s throw everyone in the last five minutes.

About the worlds, yes, they were very few of them. Sadly, this game was done as a promotional ad for the movies. It’s likely Disney didn’t care at all about anything other than be strict and put restrictions on their characters.

Then, Nikita started adding Union X story in there before giving the proper care to finish the actual story.

I invested so much time getting caught up with the story before playing KH3. I watched every episode of the mobile games, and I was very disappointed about the conclusion. It didn’t feel satisfying at all! Yes, the future seems exciting, but at the cost of destroying the past games.

peronmls

Gross. KH is now a game for super anime fans. Hopfully the flaws will show once they stop using the assets of KH2 from the previous devs and they do something their own.

fallingdove

Yuck.

There is an alternate reality where Square never released the crappy Spirits Within movie and continue to develop bangers focused on creative new IP. --And while they also release sequels (Chrono Break launched on PS3 and X360 and Dew Prism 3 just came out on PS4), there are only 3 Kingdom Hearts games total -- Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and 3. The 3rd entry ended up combining a large portion of gameplay/story from Birth by Sleep where you start out playing as either Terra, Aqua, or Ventus but then finish the game as Sora; battling a heartless Terra and Master Xehanort.

We are sadly in the worst reality where Square's marquee titles are remakes, Kingdom Hearts nonsense, Tomb Raider, and Marvel... stuff. Where the little innovation they push is found in under-realized indie sized titles and mobile games that they charge way too much for.

LordKasual

Banned
Gross, just let the shit die, the story is unsalvagable.

Make a new IP just like Kingdom Hearts, but please just let it go.

Besides, even on its own merits and completely excluding the story, KH3 is honestly one of THE worst action games i've ever played in my life.

Yuck.

There is an alternate reality where Square never released the crappy Spirits Within movie and continue to develop bangers focused on creative new IP. --And while they also release sequels (Chrono Break launched on PS3 and X360 and Dew Prism 3 just came out on PS4), there are only 3 Kingdom Hearts games total -- Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and 3. The 3rd entry ended up combining a large portion of gameplay/story from Birth by Sleep where you start out playing as either Terra, Aqua, or Ventus but then finish the game as Sora; battling a heartless Terra and Master Xehanort.

We are sadly in the worst reality where Square's marquee titles are remakes, Kingdom Hearts nonsense, Tomb Raider, and Marvel... stuff. Where the little innovation they push is found in under-realized indie sized titles and mobile games that they charge way too much for.

Funny part about this, is i feel like the most "Squaresoft" title Square Enix has released in the last few years was actually FFXV.

I feel like Luminous Studios was going to be the ones to pump out "new" titles, but now i doubt it.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
This series has way too much baggage. Adding more bloat to an already bloated and awkwardly written storyline won't do it any favors.

mickaus

I think the world I hated most in KH3 was the monsters inc world. IIRC it was basically go down a corridor, fight bad guys, go down another corridor etc. until the boss and then you left. As there are only six worlds it is even worse. I personally think that the Toy Story level was pretty good, but the rest of the game was a bit underdone.

fallingdove

Gross, just let the shit die, the story is unsalvagable.

Make a new IP just like Kingdom Hearts, but please just let it go.

Besides, even on its own merits and completely excluding the story, KH3 is honestly one of THE worst action games i've ever played in my life.

Funny part about this, is i feel like the most "Squaresoft" title Square Enix has released in the last few years was actually FFXV.

I feel like Luminous Studios was going to be the ones to pump out "new" titles, but now i doubt it.

I would add FFXIV to the Squaresoft lineage bucket as well.

ExpandKong

Banned
I think the world I hated most in KH3 was the monsters inc world. IIRC it was basically go down a corridor, fight bad guys, go down another corridor etc. until the boss and then you left. As there are only six worlds it is even worse. I personally think that the Toy Story level was pretty good, but the rest of the game was a bit underdone.

I think the Pirates world was the worst by a longshot. It might have worked earlier in the game but by the time it shows up I was ready just to power through and get the whole thing over with, then BAM sail around this huge open space looking for hundreds of crabs. Ugh.

Silvawuff

IIRC the reason we ended up with a lot of contemporary Disney franchises is because Disney wanted it to be so. That's how we ended up with Chicken Little (remember that?) in KHII at the behest or excitement of literally nobody.

I'd personally love to see more of SE's franchises thrown in outside of Disney. How cool would it be to run around a fully realized Midgar from FFVII? Oh wait, hahaha.

Unless they limit themselves to old disney classics i couldn't care less. Half the worlds in kingdom hearts 3 where unknown to me.

Well your opinion is awful and I hate you@@!!

Geki-D

Banned
The overarching plot is just too dumb and nonsensical. They need to stick to characters visiting Disney stuff with a decent plot linking all the locations like the first one without putting in 10 million shady characters and plot twists.

KH3 had some decent moments (though the "off the beaten path" stuff where they just made up plots rather than following a movie like Toy Story & Monster Inc. were really weak) but the whole KH story outside of the Disney worlds was mind numbingly stupid.

ExpandKong

Banned
The overarching plot is just too dumb and nonsensical. They need to stick to characters visiting Disney stuff with a decent plot linking all the locations like the first one without putting in 10 million shady characters and plot twists.

KH3 had some decent moments (though the "off the beaten path" stuff where they just made up plots rather than following a movie like Toy Story & Monster Inc. were really weak) but the whole KH story outside of the Disney worlds was mind numbingly stupid.

I actually preferred the made-up plots from those worlds to the ones where they followed the movies' stories. There was a reviewer, I think it was Dunkey, who described the movie story worlds as "fast forwarding through the movies, then stopping for two minutes for the characters to explain to you what you missed."

Plus I just got a kick out of Sulley beating up Vanitas.

V2Tommy

I still dream of a turn-based RPG where your team consists of Disney and Square characters travelling to worlds from both with Uematsu music in the background. Instead, a floaty-jumping-button-mashing-garbo-emo-collectathon is what we got.

LordKasual

Banned
IIRC the reason we ended up with a lot of contemporary Disney franchises is because Disney wanted it to be so. That's how we ended up with Chicken Little (remember that?) in KHII at the behest or excitement of literally nobody.

I'd personally love to see more of SE's franchises thrown in outside of Disney. How cool would it be to run around a fully realized Midgar from FFVII? Oh wait, hahaha.

KH3's issue was way deeper than Disney's interference. The worlds could have been fun to play at least, but they werent. The final half of the game was shit too, arguably even more shit.

Someone needs to ban Nomura from ever writing his own story from the ground up. The dude is fucking trash at it.

They also need to fire the combat director too. The series took such a pitiful nosedive in the gameplay department since KH2 that it's really sad.

KH3's bosses are literally just the character models throwing a mass of completely abstract, nonsensical attack animations at you, they teleport, move, dash, and swing around the field at random, with almost no physics, deliberateness or weight to their movement nearly as if they're on rails. And if you werent fighting an anime character, you were fighting some massive heartless boss where the usual mechanics of the game literally don't even apply to the boss. You're in some stupid airplane, or piloting a ship, or playing Kid Icarus Uprising, or something else.

KH1/KH2 was NOTHING like this. Kingdom Hearts has been bad ever since the new team took over developing the series.

Look at this simple ass boss fight. Look how solid the mechanics in this game was, how well combat flowed, how snappy and deliberate Sora's animations were, how you actually had SPECIAL MOVES with your guest characters, instead of those stupid fucking attractions

None of that floaty, slow, clunky, abstract bullshit.

god damn KH3 was ass.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Kingdom Hearts is a Disney owned property. Of course they're going to shill their most successful and new movies. Lol at anything thinking Nomura has any say besides drawing characters wearing clown shoes in capes.

Dunno how they can so shamelessly go forward after the massive wait for a clearly mediocre experience from the fans. Maybe do another Birth by Sleep title?

kiphalfton

Disney has managed to ruin most stuff. Can't believe people want them to handle everything marvel related when they've dropped the ball on Spiderman (the first movie was awful all around, even outside the forced diversity) and Captain Marvel (forced feminism). The Avengers game will likely suffer as well, as they seem to be pushing heavily on a lesser known hero, as the face of the game, and putting Thor, Black Widow, Iron Man, etc. in the background. It seems like people were also saying Marvel vs Capcom suffered due to Disney as well. Disney sucks, fuck them.

Fake

KH3's issue was way deeper than Disney's interference. The worlds could have been fun to play at least, but they werent. The final half of the game was shit too, arguably even more shit.

Someone needs to ban Nomura from ever writing his own story from the ground up. The dude is fucking trash at it.

They also need to fire the combat director too. The series took such a pitiful nosedive in the gameplay department since KH2 that it's really sad.

KH3's bosses are literally just the character models throwing a mass of completely abstract, nonsensical attack animations at you, they teleport, move, dash, and swing around the field at random, with almost no physics, deliberateness or weight to their movement nearly as if they're on rails. And if you werent fighting an anime character, you were fighting some massive heartless boss where the usual mechanics of the game literally don't even apply to the boss. You're in some stupid airplane, or piloting a ship, or playing Kid Icarus Uprising, or something else.

KH1/KH2 was NOTHING like this. Kingdom Hearts has been bad ever since the new team took over developing the series.

Look at this simple ass boss fight. Look how solid the mechanics in this game was, how well combat flowed, how snappy and deliberate Sora's animations were, how you actually had SPECIAL MOVES with your guest characters, instead of those stupid fucking attractions

None of that floaty, slow, clunky, abstract bullshit.

god damn KH3 was ass.

IMO was a terrible ideia Square Enix move the engine to Unreal Engine. First that Kingdom Hearts 3 runs like shit, second, IMO the engine only help Pixa chars, Kingdom Hearts/FF chars are pretty bad. Actually, I was most dissapoint with the DLC than KH3 inself because I trully believe when the DLC came they could update the game for a better 30 fps experience, instead we got the same shit perfomance from both unstable unlocked framerate and bad locked 30 framerate.
They should used the FF engine or look for another engine.

LordKasual

Banned
IMO was a terrible ideia Square Enix move the engine to Unreal Engine. First that Kingdom Hearts 3 runs like shit, second, IMO the engine only help Pixa chars, Kingdom Hearts/FF chars are pretty bad. Actually, I was most dissapoint with the DLC than KH3 inself because I trully believe when the DLC came they could update the game for a better 30 fps experience, instead we got the same shit perfomance from both unstable unlocked framerate and bad locked 30 framerate.
They should used the FF engine or look for another engine.

They went for visuals and ease over performance. It would have been neat to see them use the Luminous Engine, but Unreal was probably better for what they were going for. Same with FF7R, I think the team did a damn good job with the visuals.

I'm eager to see what the next Luminous Engine Square title looks like now that they don't need to develop the tools AS they develop the game.

Based on recent footage, it's probably going to look pretty good.

Fake

They went for visuals and ease over performance. It would have been neat to see them use the Luminous Engine, but Unreal was probably better for what they were going for. Same with FF7R, I think the team did a damn good job with the visuals.

I'm eager to see what the next Luminous Engine Square title looks like now that they don't need to develop the tools AS they develop the game.

Based on recent footage, it's probably going to look pretty good.

The only problem is UE have a bad reputation of being an unstable engine on consoles. Besides, from that time, the team have little time to learn how to proper use the UE4 because when the first trailers of KH3 was release, was Luminous Engine powering KH3, than 1 or 2 years later they trade Luminous to UE4. So, they wasted a time... time with could be better used to improve KH3 paccing and plot.

This was just my take. I guess is the KH3 experience they really improve the FF7 remake because than game runs far better than KH3 in many ways.

LordKasual

Banned
The only problem is UE have a bad reputation of being an unstable engine on consoles. Besides, from that time, the team have little time to learn how to proper use the UE4 because when the first trailers of KH3 was release, was Luminous Engine powering KH3, than 1 or 2 years later they trade Luminous to UE4. So, they wasted a time... time with could be better used to improve KH3 paccing and plot.

This was just my take. I guess is the KH3 experience they really improve the FF7 remake because than game runs far better than KH3 in many ways.

KH3 was screwed in that regard anyway because if they didnt switch to UE4 they'd have to develop alongside FFXV, because the XV team was still building the engine.

They swapped to UE4 so that FF7R and KH3 could actually develop in parallel.

Luminous Engine and FFXV were basically one in the same, there's no way they could have developed KH3 and have it be good using an unfinished engine. Either it would have been even more unstable, or taken another 2-3 years to actually come out.

Fake

Either it would have been even more unstable, or taken another 2-3 years to actually come out.
Not like saying both FF7 and KH3 had large amount of time to dev... Better wait for a good game than get now rushed. I mean, if they took all this time for release a game like KH3 so was probably not worthy.

Larxia

Fuck Tangled and Big Hero 6 too
What.... Big Hero 6 is amazing, and really one of my favorite disney / animated movie. I agree that the world in KH 3 seems quite bad (I haven't played the game), but the movie itself was amazing for me, I really loved it, it's not because it's not old that it sucks.

As far as I'm concerned my favorite Disney movie is Treasure Planet, and I always wanted to see it in kingdom hearts.
I'm sure that if that movie was more popular, it could have been used and work really well in Kingdom Hearts with its space setting, could have even maybe be some hub space world to navigate between the different disney worlds instead of just having the abstract gummi thing.

Top Bottom