• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Mafia games break Top Ten, but Mario remains in charge | UK Boxed Charts

BUT... BUT... BUT...

1585339919316.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
Watching an incredibly out-of-touch tiny niche of gamers get so mad over this, while the sales keep booming, and players keep loving it, is giving me ‘It was her turn!’ flashbacks.

Maybe you guys can sack the streets of Portland too, when this hits a 10 million seller. :messenger_winking:

Sets a bad precedent bro, will we ever get proper remakes of these classics? Probably not if they can just cash in on a pathetic emulation job and we all lap it up

Good, let the excessive trend of remakes die and preserve the original games (with unobtrusive enhancements when possible), allowing for more people to experience the classics without too much hassle. Besides, did you play through the collection to know it's a "pathetic emulation job"? You didn't, did you? Stay mad bro.

Last edited:

Senua

Good, let the excessive trend of remakes die and preserve the original games with (enhancements when possible), allowing for more people to experience the classics without too much hassle. Besides, did you play through the collection to know it's a "pathetic emulation job"? You didn't, did you? Stay mad bro.
A proper remake Spyro/Crash style of 64 would kick dick, you'd rather have a bog standard emulation to pay full price for? You Nintendo dudes are wackos

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sets a bad precedent bro, will we ever get proper remakes of these classics? Probably not if they can just cash in on a pathetic emulation job and we all lap it up

You say proper, and pathetic, but is there anything unproper about how well these games have aged; how fun they still are? Likewise, is there anything pathetic about games that look and run spot-on, and 10x more beautiful than the originals?

I’ve been having such an amazing time playing Sunshine for the past two weeks or so, that all other games basically on hold, and I’m struggling to even get books done.

I don’t know that I’ve had more fun with a game all this year.

It feels like, at some point, we lost proper criticism of this thing. If somebody wanted to get in detail about emulation specifics and remake ideology, sans the hyperbole, I’d gladly indulge them. Instead, we have commentary like this, from Gaming Side’s local brainlet (and that’s saying something).

Only Nintendo could get away with selling $60 emulated trash

It’s completely out of touch with the experience people are having, and frankly deserves mockery.

A proper remake Spyro/Crash style of 64 would kick dick, you'd rather have a bog standard emulation to pay full price for? You Nintendo dudes are wackos

Spyro and Crash were never as good as Mario, not even close. But there's a good middle ground here in the Banjo Kazooie/Tooie HD ports we got for the 360 for the not quite masterful games that permeate the Playstation ecosystem.

Only Nintendo could get away with selling $60 emulated trash

There's no reason to be upset friend.

Senua

You say proper, and pathetic, but is there anything unproper about how well these games have aged; how fun they still are? Likewise, is there anything pathetic about games that look and run spot-on, and 10x more beautiful than the originals?

I’ve been having such an amazing time playing Sunshine for the past two weeks or so, that all other games basically on hold, and I’m struggling to even get books done.

It feels like, at some point, we lost proper criticism of this thing. If somebody wanted to get in detail about emulation specifics and remake ideology, sans the hyperbole, I’d gladly indulge them. Instead, we have commentary like this, from Gaming Side’s local brainlet (and that’s saying something).

It’s completely out of touch with the experience people are having, and frankly deserves mockery.
Dude the quality of the original game is not the issue, it's the low effort job they did with this collection. Everyone knows these games are brilliant, they deserved better for a collection like this.

Yea I'm no Einstein but I'm smart enough to not be gyped into buying low effort emulated collections for full price

Spyro and Crash were never as good as Mario, not even close. But there's a good middle ground here in the Banjo Kazooie/Tooie HD ports we got for the 360 for the not quite masterful games that permeate the Playstation ecosystem.
Way to completely miss the point.

Last edited:

I'm sorry is there something wrong with calling out lazy cash grabs like this?

Whatever experience you, the nintendo or casual audience are having is irrelevant as far as I;m concerened. You just continue to enjoy it. No problems there

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Dude the quality of the original game is not the issue, it's the low effort job they did with this collection. Everyone knows these games are brilliant, they deserved better for a collection like this.

Yea I'm no Einstein but I'm smart enough to not be gyped into buying low effort emulated collections for full price

But it is the issue, or one part of it. These games are still brilliant fun. People are willing to pay $60 to have these experiences, also portable, because they’re just that fantastic.

Likewise, the games play spot-on, and look the best they ever have in an official release. We can talk about emulators (and that really needs to be a two-sided conversation with criticism about inaccuracies, amongst other things) and critiques, sure, but that’s not what’s happening.

What’s happening is a gulf between rhetoric and reality.

Trash, lazy cash grab... meets player experience of enjoying a gorgeous, spot-on, optionally portable version of one of their favorite games ever. That frankly, most people are going to have a hard time telling the difference between it, and normal PC emulated versions.

You can give me the crazier PC executions and literal ports. But the crazier it gets, the more it can break, yeah? Or someone injects an art or texture style in, that doesn’t look right at all.

You guys want to criticize these ports (well, some of you. Most just want to fanboy), but you’re doing it in such an absurd, over-the-top manner, that I doubt anyone will listen.

>This collection could have gone further
>This collection contains beautiful, portable versions of classics, and is delighting players

Both of these things can be true.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Mafia is really a great game and value. I think the trilogy was sold for $60 but I already had Mafia 3 so I waited for Mafia The Definitive Edition. The game was from 2002 and they remade the game (not a remaster). It looks and plays great and the story is really good. The characters look a bit stiff during cutscenes but motion capture then was different than now and they didn't redo all of that (obviously). But the environments look amazing and the soundtrack has been re-recorded. It's really great so far and for $40. It seems to be 15 or so hours but they added a lot of collectibles (comics, posters, cards, magazines etc) to the game. So FULLY completing it should take over 20 hours. Good job to Hangar 13, especially after the debacle after Mafia 3 came out (good game).

Last edited:

Senua

But it is the issue, or one part of it. These games are still brilliant fun. People are willing to pay $60 to have these experiences, also portable, because they’re just that fantastic.

Likewise, the games play spot-on, and look the best they ever have in an official release. We can talk about emulators (and that really needs to be a two-sided conversation with criticism about inaccuracies, amongst other things) and critiques, sure, but that’s not what’s happening.

What’s happening is a gulf between rhetoric and reality.

Trash, lazy cash grab... meets player experience of enjoying a gorgeous, spot-on, optionally portable version of one of their favorite games ever. That frankly, most people are going to have a hard time telling the difference between it, and normal PC emulated versions.

You can give me the crazier PC executions and literal ports. But the crazier it gets, the more it can break, yeah? Or someone injects an art or texture style in, that doesn’t look right at all.

You guys want to criticize these ports (well, some of you. Most just want to fanboy), but you’re doing it in such an absurd, over-the-top manner, that I doubt anyone will listen.

>This collection could have gone further
>This collection contains beautiful, portable versions of classics, and is delighting players

Both of these things can be true.
Well obviously that's why nintendo did it, because they knew these games still held up gameplay wise so they could just release basic emulations, but then I think charging full price for a couple of decades old emulated games for full price is absurd.

Crash and Spyro released a collection with three games completely remade from the ground up for the same price as the mario collection, now of course even Mario 64 holds up better than those other series original games but to me that doesn't justify how much they charge for this package. I can only imagine these games getting the same treatment as Spyro and Crash, it would be crazy

No fanboy here, just saying it how i see it, more disappointed more wasn't done.

Ahh I see Nintendo fans still do this then, try and retcon the past "This non-nintendo game series was never actually good, you just pretended it was!".

Who pretended? "Mario is better than Spyro and Crash" is not a very uncontroversial opinion.

Way to completely miss the point.

There is no point. You're mad because people are willing to pay money for something you wish they wouldn't. You're not making these BRILLIANT ARGUMENTS that would change anyone's opinion. You're fighting a losing war, but you are free to do so. I do enjoy watching it.

Senua

Who pretended? "Mario is better than Spyro and Crash" is not a very uncontroversial opinion.

There is no point. You're mad because people are willing to pay money for something you wish they wouldn't. You're not making these BRILLIANT ARGUMENTS that would change anyone's opinion. You're fighting a losing war, but you are free to do so. I do enjoy watching it.
More surprised and disappointed than anything, and i'm not trying to change anyones opinion, just giving my own :messenger_beaming:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Well obviously that's why nintendo did it, because they knew these games still held up gameplay wise so they could just release basic emulations, but then I think charging full price for a couple of decades old emulated games for full price is absurd.

Crash and Spyro released a collection with three games completely remade from the ground up for the same price as the mario collection, now of course even Mario 64 holds up better than those other series original games but to me that doesn't justify how much they charge for this package. I can only imagine these games getting the same treatment as Spyro and Crash, it would be crazy

No fanboy here, just saying it how i see it, more disappointed more wasn't done.

This comes off like being a bitch. I’m not trying to be a bitch.

This is a huge difference to:

Gamers are suckers

Especially Nintendo gamers

Ultimately, that’s all I want. Realistic rhetoric. I don’t need anyone to pretend the collection is perfect, because it’s not. I respect the first comment.

I’d like if discussion of this collection wasn’t so hyper-extreme polarized, and actually took that tone more often.

Last edited:

Senua

This comes off like being a bitch. I’m not trying to be a bitch.

This is a huge difference to:

Ultimately, that’s all I want. Realistic rhetoric. I don’t need anyone to pretend the collection is perfect, because it’s not. I respect the first comment.

I’d like if discussion of this collection wasn’t so hyped-extreme polarized, and actually took that tone more often.
Hey it was straight to the point! and I like to have some fun on here, I tend not to take it all too seriously, but I will have a proper convo if need be, even with my pea sized brain :messenger_tongue:

More surprised and disappointed than anything, and i'm not trying to change anyones opinion, just giving my own :messenger_beaming:

Same here friend. We can debate the merits of the collection and how it could have been better, but like Cadia said, this is a more productive discussion if we do it without getting salty about the collection's validity. That part is beyond debate, it's obvious this is a desirable product even with its flaws. Coming out saying PEOPLE ARE STUPID FOR BUYING THIS is hilarious, but ultimately it's missing the point.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Crash and Spyro released a collection with three games completely remade from the ground up for the same price as the mario collection
I might be misremembering, but weren't the Crash and Spyro remakes actually cheaper than 3D All Stars?

Last edited:
Top Bottom