• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter removed as sharing option on Xbox (API costs $42,000 a month now)

Three

is motherfucker not protected free speech for the absolutist?
I guess not if offensive language is against the ToS.
giphy.webp

What's the comparison to say Google maps or other paid API monthly outgoings? They start with a free tier for 28,000 requests a month then paid volume tiers kick in.

Twitter pricing appears quite high but I'd like to compare some enterprise pricing models/traffic of other APIs before I shit on that pricing.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I mean, it obviously stands for "this motherfucker" which can be considered offensive language.

I mean come on. It's not even spelled out. Will "WTF" be considered offensive language next?

What's the comparison to say Google maps or other paid API monthly outgoings? They start with a free tier for 28,000 requests a month then paid volume tiers kick in.

Twitter pricing appears quite high but I'd like to compare some enterprise pricing models/traffic of other APIs before I shit on that pricing.

It's not about the pricing. It's the principle of the matter.

Three

I mean come on. It's not even spelled out. Will "WTF" be considered offensive language next?

I guess it's not spelled out. If they thought the word itself was offensive but WTF isn't aimed at anyone. Who would take offense? If I called you a motherfucker though that could be offensive to you I'd imagine whereas WTF isn't.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I guess it's not spelled out. If they thought the word itself was offensive but WTF isn't aimed at anyone. Who would take offense? If I called you a motherfucker though that could be offensive to you I'd imagine whereas WTF isn't.

So what about "POS"? Like.......this could get crazy if we are finding that wording offensive.

consoul

I can't believe how many people in this thread think the API cost has anything to do with Twitter integration being dropped from Xbox.

That cost is nothing to a large enterprise.

This is about Microsoft's misuse of the API for AI training. The long standing bad blood between Musk and Gates is probably a factor here too. This isn't about money.

Ozriel

M$FT
I can't believe how many people in this thread think the API cost has anything to do with Twitter integration being dropped from Xbox.

This is about Microsoft's misuse of the API for AI training. The long standing bad blood between Musk and Gates is probably a factor here too. This isn't about money.

OpenAI did the training for ChatGPT, not Microsoft, but that’s not really relevant since this has nothing to do with AI stuff.

The Twitter integration was pretty much for sharing pictures and videos to Twitter, among other things. Nobody's scraping Twitter data for that.

And no, potentially millions of dollars is NOT ‘nothing’, even for a megacorp

DaGwaphics

I really don't see an issue with Twitter charging whatever they want for pull requests, similar to things like Google Maps etc. It's just with things like that it is a one way transaction the service provides the API that gives the user of the API something of value.

In the case of facilitating user tweets/media uploads the posts themselves are a thing of value to the platform providing the API (twitter in this case). No matter how redundant and mundane such posts may be, that content is what drives traffic, eyes, and clicks to that site. MS likely looks at it that even if their users get a perceived benefit from the integration that Twitter gets an equal or more valuable resource in return (content for the Twitter platform).

Really a better method (ignoring any personality based or business based clashes between the companies) would have been to separate the put and pull requests, maintaining a more free flowing use of the parts of the API that facilitate content uploads while imposing the fees and limits on requests that pull data or are otherwise used for data analysis. It just seems counter intuitive to limit access to post creation. Really, Twitter should want every mobile/pc app and/or device created, whether it's games, photo apps, etc. to include the ability for users to quickly upload data created within them to Twitter. Ultimately, if users have to choose another option for these uploads they will.

Exactly what I was getting at. Enterprise APIs are billable and often have lower/introductory "free" pricing early on. Google APIs are no different, we don't take Google to task for their maps services and they're making a fortune from those API services past the free pricing tiers. If the pricing and usage is comparable why take Twitter to task? If it's price gouging then fuck Twitter but I'd like to quality it by industry practices first. Twitter is well past the money losing phase and needs to mature as a company long term now.

Puscifer

Well I'm kinda torn on this and anyone who uses Twitter feel free to correct me.

1. I think it's a drop in the bucket for Microsoft and Sony, they're hosting likely PBs of content from both companies in what amounts to free advertising. I think it's cheap when you consider that.

2. Has Elon removed all the advertising spying or not? Mind you, I'm down for more privacy from companies (I even run graphene OS) because I don't want to live in world where computers know if your standing, walking, on a desk, jogging or cycling at every moment of your life (seriously, look this shit up). I even pay a yearly fee for mailfence because I'm up for keeping services that don't spy on you.

3. Continuing point 2, and this is assuming Elon is no longer selling to advertisers. Wouldn't you feel better if Microsoft and Sony footed the bill for you to share clips without having your data harvested in the meantime? You gotta admit the average consumer shouldn't foot the bill but if Microsoft and Sony are basically using the platforms as free advertising they outta at least contribute.

Again, this is a "best case scenario" I literally only have a Facebook for background checks (public sector) and don't interact with it. Social media is an oddity to me even as someone that's experienced myspace and Facebook.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
They should just build their own social media service. That is what was said every time anyone had issue with how Twitter was run for the last decade. What has changed, I wonder.

dorkimoe

Quite the opposite lol! He's one of the best businessmen on the planet. Which is what makes his Twitter purchase and his handling of it all so confusing. He shouldn't have bought it at all! It's not his field. It'll be like what Steve Jobs would look like if he bought McDonalds.
He literally fucks his own stock prices by tweeting dumb shit, I dont think a smart businessman would do that...

zombrex

The value in free marketing is worth way more than the API costs.
Real reason companies are bailing on twitter is ideological based largely on the politics of Musk.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
He literally fucks his own stock prices by tweeting dumb shit, I dont think a smart businessman would do that...

He is a multi-billionaire. I don't think he particularly cares, especially given his copious amounts of money. Regardless, y'all have way too much time nad effort to put into what a billionare thinks or does. Touch some grass and play some games.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

And the other half of what he says bumps the stock up too. It often goes both ways. But nobody should be investing in Tesla on the every word that Elon says at this point. We're all beyond that point now.

Top Bottom