• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But you ARE hearing it from their mouth when it's posted. Nobody is saying delete tweets or ban people BEFORE they do or say something. How does the content being removed or them being banned after they out themselves affect that?

I legitimately don't understand.

Caused by both? What are you talking about?
If it's about protecting the Jewish people from hurt as some are arguing, then even reposting his words in screenshots have the same impact. He never made those comments on the platform, so they're the ones bringing it to said platform.

That would be like Ree banning people who have accounts here and for things said on here but not for things said on there... oh wait, they do. Bad analogy, sorry. ;)

The spotlight is on him, and he is getting the overwhelming pushback he deserves. Unfortunately, it may not be a wakeup call due to his two new weasel compadres, and the "victim" spiral he is lost in will probably continue.

Last edited:
Caused by both? What are you talking about?

Antisemitism hurts me but so does the stifling of free speech.
I'm suggesting people as a society coming together across ideological lines to agree on common values through public discourse. This cannot happen if we just ban everything that might rub us the wrong way, especially if there is zero trust in the ones who do the banning.

It's nice to see both sides coming together to criticize Kanye's words.

Last edited:

Moneal

There are also impressionable people who ignore comments and will feel rallied if they keep his mic open. Further, kids listen to him - not every one everywhere is a grown up - and I wouldn't want my kids to see that shit especially if they were fans and likely susceptible to his words.

We keep talking about Twitter's moderation but people gotta moderate too - or they'll fuck around and find out.

There's limits here too - so I don't know what we are defending. Either a platform can moderate or it can't. And if it can, you either agree or go somewhere else.
No one is saying a platform can't moderate. That should be entirely up to the platform owner. I am arguing that I believe Kanye is losing more fans by this being amplified than he will gain, and the inverse would be true if he was silenced.

Toons

Banned
Yes it's better to hear it from his own mouth than to hear he is a terrible person without proof from his mouth. As a mixed person, I would rather know the racists from their own words and deeds than to be told so and so was racist.

Well as a black person, I dont need a racist to tell me a racist to know they are racist. Their actions will show it. Anything else is denial.

DeaDPo0L84

What "horrible things" are you seeing that are "completely acceptable"? I'm not trying to deflect that sentence just reads weird to me and I can't think of what you mean.

And even if this is some kind of bizarre attention seeking tirade I would still say that banning him is the best answer because it will rob him of the attention and thus limit the behavior.
If this is off topic a mod can edit or delete my post.

So in my opinion the pushing of misinformation onto our youth concerning puberty blockers like they're totally safe and operate as if you're just pushing a pause button which is patently false, that it's the right thing to affirm a child's gender confusion due to health , that irreversible transition surgeries are the answer to all their problems, all being doing on every major social media platform every single day by very predatory people under the guise of "love is love" is far more dangerous than a bipolar rapper saying he thinks Hitler is a great guy.

One is proving to have a distinct impact on our children through a pipeline that is basically impossible to control and will have consequences years into the future. The other is so laughably absurd that most people can brush it off.

As for the second part of your post it'd be no bother to me if he simply went away. He contributes nothing and appears to simply be here to troll so I'm not gonna go to bat for him. Granted he seems to have some legit things going on mentally so I wish he'd get help but that's up to him and those around him to stop exploiting him.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
No one is saying a platform can't moderate. That should be entirely up to the platform owner. I am arguing that I believe Kanye is losing more fans by this being amplified than he will gain, and the inverse would be true if he was silenced.

Him being banned from Twitter wouldn't stop him from saying this stuff. He didn't even say it ON Twitter.

So no, people would not suddenly be unawares of what he's saying and doing if he wasn't allowed to post this for all to see.

This is going to be a great litmus test for the future of the site though. Really interested to see what Elon does.

Welp, Kanye just said he can see good things about Hitler in an interview on Infowars, where him and Jones spouted a shit load of antisemitism, so that reinstatement looks to have been a work of genius on Musk’s part.

This has been explained several times, but it's a big thread, so I can understand how people could miss it. Kanye West's account was restored by Twitter before Elon Musk took control of the platform. Musk did not make the decision to restore Kanye's account.

Toons

Banned
How would you know their actions if you never see them?

How they treat me, how they treat other minorities, what they say, who they associate with regularly and praise...

I mean what else? Who is being called racist that hasn't done any of those things?

Moneal

How they treat me, how they treat other minorities, what they say, who they associate with regularly and praise...

I mean what else? Who is being called racist that hasn't done any of those things?
How would you know any of that without seeing or hearing them?

Toons

Banned
How would you know any of that without seeing or hearing them?

How would I not be seeing or hearing them? We are talking about Twitter are we not?

If I'm not seeing or hearing them, great. If I am seeing or hearing them, thats a problem.

Well so far, it's this:

But I don't think Kanye knows Elon can't abide by the US 1st amendment unless he wants to be heavily fined or blocked in the EU lol

Of all the times to invoke Christ, its in response to the guy who just said we should stop dissing the Nazis lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Of all the times to invoke Christ, its in response to the guy who just said we should stop dissing the Nazis lol
He is invoking Christ in response of Kanye's tweet saying he is praying to Jesus about Elon. Come on now.

Last edited:

Moneal

How would I not be seeing or hearing them? We are talking about Twitter are we not?

If I'm not seeing or hearing them, great. If I am seeing or hearing them, thats a problem.

If they were banned you would have to take the word of others on whar they said or did. You say it's great to not hear or see them. I think otherwise. Hearing or seeing is how I know something is real. If you didn't see something or hear it, you might not know it happened. You could then be contributing to a racist by buying their products or services.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
What about my hurt caused by both?
I'd much rather see public discourse coming together across partisan lines to denounce his words. That's our responsibility as citizens of a democratic pluralistic society and it would remind people of their common values.

So, you’re Jewish, and have no issue with Kanye being on Twitter, spouting antisemitic racist hate, is that right? Rather than him being banned?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
If this is off topic a mod can edit or delete my post.

So in my opinion the pushing of misinformation onto our youth concerning puberty blockers like they're totally safe and operate as if you're just pushing a pause button which is patently false, that it's the right thing to affirm a child's gender confusion due to health , that irreversible transition surgeries are the answer to all their problems, all being doing on every major social media platform every single day by very predatory people under the guise of "love is love" is far more dangerous than a bipolar raper saying he thinks Hitler is a great guy.

One is proving to have a distinct impact on our children through a pipeline that is basically impossible to control and will have consequences years into the future. The other is so laughably absurd that most people can brush it off.

As for the second part of your post it'd be no bother to me if he simply went away. He contributes nothing and appears to simply be here to troll so I'm not gonna go to bat for him. Granted he seems to have some legit things going on mentally so I wish he'd get help but that's up to him and those around him to stop exploiting him.
Yeah I'm not touching that.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This has been explained several times, but it's a big thread, so I can understand how people could miss it. Kanye West's account was restored by Twitter before Elon Musk took control of the platform. Musk did not make the decision to restore Kanye's account.
I don't think he was even fully banned.

Either way, Kayne had his posting rights removed for anti-Semitism, and he seems to be hinting he thinks Musk wouldn't do the same.

I suspect Ye will bring some of that Hitler love to Twitter soon and see what happens, if he doesn't come down from his likely manic episode he's having right now. There's almost zero chance Musk takes a stand on "free speech" over that, if it does happen. Slight chance he actually does want to go to war with advertisers and regulators, in an obvious symbolic sense, but meant to convey the gravitas of tanking a company and risking huge fines, not an actual war with like bombs and stuff.

Moneal

No i wouldn't. Alex Jones has been banned and I'm still hearing from his podcast. So clearly that's not the case.

Im sure you do. Thats the problem.
Why is that a problem. As i said, I know for certain someone is racist. I don't see that as a problem.

Nobody_Important

Why is that a problem. As i said, I know for certain someone is racist. I don't see that as a problem.
So you know they are a racist and you believe that they should be allowed to continue saying racist things on a platform like Twitter to anyone who will listen?

Moneal

So you know they are a racist and you believe that they should be allowed to continue saying racist things on a platform like Twitter to anyone who will listen?
Yes, because I can ignore them, or challenge them. The people who would listen and agree with them could be known and ignored as well. Also challenging them can educate the impressionable people who might follow them. Instead of reinforcing their preconceived ideas of persecution that banning them is known to cause.
Because allowing respect to some people can be a disrespect to many people.
Allowing racists to prove they are racist isn't respecting them and disrespecting others, its respecting the right of expession for all individuals. Remember, banning can be turned around to punish people who are right, if the power is in other hands. I prefer no one controls those powers so that doesnt happen.

Welp, Kanye just said he can see good things about Hitler in an interview on Infowars, where him and Jones spouted a shit load of antisemitism, so that reinstatement looks to have been a work of genius on Musk’s part.
Holy shit man, I just had to look it up to believe it. The dude has gone completely mental. Ye has been reading Mein Kampf in his spare time.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Yes, because I can ignore them, or challenge them. The people who would listen and agree with them could be known and ignored as well. Also challenging them can educate the impressionable people who might follow them. Instead of reinforcing their preconceived ideas of persecution that banning them is known to cause.

Allowing racists to prove they are racist isn't respecting them and disrespecting others, its respecting the right of expession for all individuals. Remember, banning can be turned around to punish people who are right, if the power is in other hands. I prefer no one controls those powers so that doesnt happen.

I don't need to respect racists. What are you going on about.

If I started acting like some dumb ass racist on here, Twitter, Facebook, or in a public square I'd get my ass kicked or my ass kicked off. No one needs to hear that shit.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Willing to bet that every single person in this thread who has no issue with people being allowed to spout racism and bigotry on Twitter… does not belong to the race or minority the speech is aimed at. It’s easy to be cool with that kind of free speech, when you’re not on the receiving end of it. I hope Musk gains the wisdom to actually ask the people who are affected what they think… and ignore the noises off from people who aren’t.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Willing to bet that every single person in this thread who has no issue with people being allowed to spout racism and bigotry on Twitter… does not belong to the race or minority the speech is aimed at. It’s easy to be cool with that kind of free speech, when you’re not on the receiving end of it.
Probably, then will go into the weeds about what those words actually mean and why clearly racist/bigoted stuff actually isn't, so there woke mind virus haver!

Moneal

I don't need to respect racists. What are you going on about.
Allowing racists to prove they are racist isn't respecting them and disrespecting others, its respecting the right of expession for all individuals.

What are you going on about?
Willing to bet that every single person in this thread who has no issue with people being allowed to spout racism and bigotry on Twitter… does not belong to the race or minority the speech is aimed at.
Yes I am.

Nobody_Important

All I am going to say is that I am devoutly thankful that most webaites don't follow your idea of moderation.

Because that's insane to me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Willing to bet that every single person in this thread who has no issue with people being allowed to spout racism and bigotry on Twitter… does not belong to the race or minority the speech is aimed at. It’s easy to be cool with that kind of free speech, when you’re not on the receiving end of it. I hope Musk gains the wisdom to actually ask the people who are affected what they think… and ignore the noises off from people who aren’t.
“If you have a problem wether to vote for me or the other guy, then you ain’t black.” - Some totally not a racist urban jungle crime bill super predators guy

Same energy.

While I don’t care to personally read such shit, or hear it in unironically hypocritical glorified music, assuming that a race or ethnicity all should think a certain way, well… it’s the same energy as that quote.

akimbo009

Gold Member
“If you have a problem wether to vote for me or the other guy, then you ain’t black.” - Some totally not a racist urban jungle crime bill super predators guy

Same energy.

While I don’t care to personally read such shit, or hear it in unironically hypocritical glorified music, assuming that a race or ethnicity all should think a certain way, well… it’s the same energy as that quote.

Stop with the politics.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Same energy.

You're fond of non sequiturs that have nothing to do with Twitter or Elon Musk.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're fond of non sequiturs that have nothing to do with Twitter or Elon Musk.
Oh bullshit. That was a fucking bigoted gaslighting post and you know it.

Fuck off with this disingenuous blinders shit now.

WTF does Kanye have to do with Elon’s Twitter, when he’s not even the guy that unbanned him, nor did he say what he said today on Twitter. The prior regime did, since they felt Kanye’s antisemitism wasn’t bad enough for a perm. More irony.

Yet here we are, unironically acting like that post I quoted is genuine when it comes to judging peoples ideas and diverse thoughts based on the color of their skin. Honk honk.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom