• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toons

Lol so many experts in this thread pretending to know Musk's mind. 6 years of leftists mind reading Trump didn't teach you anything?

Doesn't take a mind reader to know when someone is lying, and/or not being full truthful, or just doesn't know what they're doing.

Musk either when on a day long rant off of faulty information that he didn't properly vet and had the resources to do so, or what he was saying the first time was true and tim cook just managed to talk him out of lambasting apple publicly and starting a fiasco.

Both cannot be true, but what we know isn't true is that it wasn't a simple misunderstanding in which two people are talking past each other. He made very specific accusations about Apple, he was convinced they were considering a pullout. And we know musk doesnt like pulling out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I always find it amazing that in tech world so many people leak company info to the world. Goes to show the kind of people who work there.

I have never once ever seen in my industry tweets or leaks about any company (mine or competitors) where some rogue employees leaked to the universe price increases, new products coming out or discontinuations, new marketing deals etc.... And all this kind of stuff is worked on way in advance so there's plenty of time for employees to spill the beans. And just about everyone in the office knows about this stuff even if your role doesn't actually work on it. You still hear about it or sit in on company meetings or town hall presentations where important details and deals are announced internally.

Technically, anyone could take that info and spill the beans to Wall Street. But you never see it.

In tech, you get everything from lawsuits, bad bosses, strategy changes etc.... all leaked to the net. Weird people working there.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

The problems surrounding advertising was largely due to a sudden lack of brand safety, and an inability by advertisers to actually engage with Twitter, since almost all of the relevant teams were gutted or are now completely gone. So I don't see how this will attract many advertisers back. 100% more of what they don't want isn't exactly enticing.

But maybe they're also doing what's clearly needed and restaffing at the same time. Given all that's happened thus far, however, I am inclined to doubt that.

Doesn't take a mind reader to know when someone is lying, and/or not being full truthful, or just doesn't know what they're doing.

Musk either when on a day long rant off of faulty information that he didn't properly vet and had the resources to do so, or what he was saying the first time was true and tim cook just managed to talk him out of lambasting apple publicly and starting a fiasco.

Both cannot be true, but what we know isn't true is that it wasn't a simple misunderstanding in which two people are talking past each other. He made very specific accusations about Apple, he was convinced they were considering a pullout. And we know musk doesnt like pulling out.
If this is you when Musk buys Twitter I don't dare think what fantasies you'll dream up when SpaceX lands on Mars.

You're projecting movies in your head and then try to convince people you know it's what happened.
You know nothing about what Musk knew and didn't know, what he thought or didn't think or what those two talked about.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

53154c03977cfba48300706861054e32af81569b.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The problems surrounding advertising was largely due to a sudden lack of brand safety
Doesn't stop these advertisers from advertising and selling products in countries where it's literally illegal and some cases, punishable by death for things they virtue signal to the west over.

Or is "brand safety" constantly shining a spotlight on their hollow virtue and skeletons in their own closets?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You're projecting movies in your head and then try to convince people you know it's what happened.
You know nothing about what Musk knew and didn't know, what he thought or didn't think or what those two talked about.

The same can be said for you. The difference is Toons is making guesses given observations of Musk's own actions and words, while you're only making emotional appeals.

Doesn't stop these advertisers from advertising and selling products in countries where it's literally illegal and some cases, punishable by death for things they virtue signal to the west over.

Or is "brand safety" constantly shining a spotlight on their hollow virtue and skeletons in their own closets?

Yes, welcome to the amoral world of business and advertising.

Brand safety is brand safety. These companies don't want people seeing their advertisements being published alongside hate and other offensive material. And I don't understand your emotional response towards these advertisers, you seem to be blaming them or accusing them of something vague. They're merely advertisers reacting, doing their job on behalf of their clients.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Brand safety is brand safety. These companies don't want people seeing their advertisements being published alongside hate and other offensive material. And I don't understand your emotional response towards these advertisers, you seem to be blaming them or accusing them of something vague. They're merely advertisers reacting, doing their job on behalf of their clients.
There is nothing emotional about my response, potato. If people want to call out hypocrisy all day long in here that suits their interests, I will call these companies bullshit out as well. This comes down to a culture war, no matter how they try and spin it.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
There is nothing emotional about my response, potato. If people want to call out hypocrisy all day long in here that suits their interests, I will call these companies bullshit out as well. This comes down to a culture war, no matter how they try and spin it.
Not wanting your ads next to hate speech or other offensive content is not a "culture war" 🤦‍♂️

It's literally what any businesses would do given the context. It's just like when companies pull their sponsorships from Athletes if they get arrested or do something else to damage their image. It's no longer good for the company to be associated with them so the company pulls it's support entirely or until the situation works itself out.

It happens all the time. Twitter is not special.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not wanting your ads next to hate speech or other offensive content is not a "culture war" 🤦‍♂️
You're a bright one.

Yet, so disingenuous.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Well, sorry if I offended, I guess I did come off a little heavy there. But when I see someone making claims by "gut feeling", for lack of better words, I'll assume certain things. :messenger_crystal_ball:

RAÏSanÏa

*Looks back over the past few pages*

The lady doth protest too much, me thinks.
The excessive protesting about the valid criticisms, questions and dunking Musk gets for his own actions may be connect to those having their own wagons hitched to Musk and take any criticism of Musk as personal.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, sorry if I offended, I guess I did come off a little heavy there. But when I see someone making claims by "gut feeling", for lack of better words, I'll assume certain things. :messenger_crystal_ball:
There is no "gut feeling." They advertise and sell in countries that have laws that supposedly go against their very virtue they browbeat in the west. It's literal clown material.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

The ethical consideration can be tricky to understand in absolutes since advertising of Western products also advances Western interests in foreign lands hostile to the aspects of Western culture, but those brands don't want to work against Western culture in the West.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The ethical consideration can be tricky to understand in absolutes since advertising of Western products also advances Western interests in foreign lands hostile to the aspects of Western culture, but those brands don't want to work against Western culture in the West.
About that. ;)

RAÏSanÏa

It's a war for mindshare and ideals. There is nothing stupid about it, other than handwaving when lost in the sauce.
What is happening with Russia in Ukraine is war. Advertising is not that. That's just overstatement meant to make those who could be deluded into fighting in a so called "culture war" out to be soldiers fighting the good fight with their tanks and their bombs :messenger_musical: to save the world from... the suicide of civilization.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What is happening with Russia in Ukraine is war. Advertising is not that. That's just overstatement meant to make those who could be deluded into fighting in a so called "culture war" out to be soldiers fighting the good fight with their tanks and their bombs :messenger_musical: to save the world from... the suicide of civilization.
Since y'all are fond of dictionaries when it suits,
a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end
a class war
a war against disease
You can stop being purposely obtuse.

RAÏSanÏa

Since y'all are fond of dictionaries when it suits,

You can stop being purposely obtuse.
Yes, the word can be purposed in other ways, but that doesn't mean every time it's used is proper or conveying more than melodramatics. The word itself causes alarm and should be used carefully in some setings, like calling out a fire that isn't there.
Some people come in peace.

Maybe you're not being obtuse, but paranoid.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, the word can be purposed in other ways, but that doesn't mean every time it's used is proper or conveying more than melodramatics. The word itself causes alarm and should be used carefully in some setings, like calling out a fire that isn't there.
Some people come in peace.

Maybe you're not being obtuse, but paranoid.
You're still wrong though. And it's okay to be wrong.

Use it as a learning experience.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There's no grand war going on for the hearts and minds of people using the weapon of advertising. It's just companies trying to sell phones, sneakers, video game consoles, the kinds of doo-dads they used hock on infomercials, etc.

And yes don't use Hive. Various security experts over on the Fediverse (like Mastodon) have been disclosing security vulnerabilities with that app and platform for the past week. At one point they even claimed to have fixed the vulnerabilities but actually did nothing. So, grain of salt with whatever they may claim when they come back online.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There's no grand war going on for the hearts and minds of people using the weapon of advertising. It's just companies trying to sell phones, sneakers, video game consoles, the kinds of doo-dads they used hock on infomercials, etc.
That is reductive and untrue. The end goal is to sell products, yes, but they will utilize culture and help shape it to get there. You are constantly being marketed to, whether it's for actual inanimate objects, news stories, politics, ideals, etc., etc..

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

I want Elon to be un-muzzled again, this thread got boring fast after he sheepishly walked back his Apple comments lol
Maybe being outside the bubble he appeared to be in for the day and talking to Cook really helped him get back to a sense of reality and shook him out of the dread he was talking about with the end of civilization.

Or it's the calm before the storm...

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Welp, Kanye just said he can see good things about Hitler in an interview on Infowars, where him and Jones spouted a shit load of antisemitism, so that reinstatement looks to have been a work of genius on Musk’s part.

Zathalus

I always find it amazing that in tech world so many people leak company info to the world. Goes to show the kind of people who work there.

I have never once ever seen in my industry tweets or leaks about any company (mine or competitors) where some rogue employees leaked to the universe price increases, new products coming out or discontinuations, new marketing deals etc.... And all this kind of stuff is worked on way in advance so there's plenty of time for employees to spill the beans. And just about everyone in the office knows about this stuff even if your role doesn't actually work on it. You still hear about it or sit in on company meetings or town hall presentations where important details and deals are announced internally.

Technically, anyone could take that info and spill the beans to Wall Street. But you never see it.

In tech, you get everything from lawsuits, bad bosses, strategy changes etc.... all leaked to the net. Weird people working there.
Sound like somebody is salty about the "tech world" for some reason.

Also almost every single industry has had leaks, even those you would imagine to not have like espionage agencies and the military. Honestly I cannot think of a single industry that doesn't.

akimbo009

Gold Member

Dude. Every industry leaks. Your tech hate seems like jealously at this point.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Also almost every single industry has had leaks, even those you would imagine to not have like espionage agencies and the military. Honestly I cannot think of a single industry that doesn't.
It's such a strange topic... any company that is under fire in particular will have publicized leaks. It's incredibly common.. like what exactly do you people think articles written with "sources" at companies implies?

Most people just don't work places where the media gives a shit what is going on at any given moment.... this is getting an enormous amount of attention.

And it legit only takes 1 person out of thousands to leak shit. When things are being said on a company Slack channel that is meant for all.. well.. everyone sees it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That is reductive and untrue. The end goal is to sell products, yes, but they will utilize culture and help shape it to get there. You are constantly being marketed to, whether it's for actual inanimate objects, news stories, politics, ideals, etc., etc..

I‘ve worked in PR and comms all my career, and have worked with many high profile clients in an employed and freelance capacity. I can assure you nobody cares about culture wars when it comes to advertising. Certain demographics are targeted of course, but no advertising or PR strategies ever lean on culture warring as a way to sell product. Largely because advertising psychology solely depends on positivity (faked or otherwise) and no companies want the bad press that inevitably comes with entering into culture war stuff. Clients are always - always - very risk averse.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I‘ve worked in PR and comms all my career, and have worked with many high profile clients in an employed and freelance capacity. I can assure you nobody cares about culture wars when it comes to advertising. Certain demographics are targeted of course, but no advertising or PR strategies ever lean on culture warring as a way to sell product. Largely because advertising psychology solely depends on positivity (faked or otherwise) and no companies want the bad press that inevitably comes with entering into culture war stuff.
Yet these companies are balls deep in it now. Literally, lol.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Yea, if one looks back at the largest scandals of the past decade in which leaks or whistleblowers revealed wrongdoing and brought down companies or executives within them, they're almost all automotive, energy, entertainment, financial, or pharmaceutical related.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I‘ve worked in PR and comms all my career, and have worked with many high profile clients in an employed and freelance capacity. I can assure you nobody cares about culture wars when it comes to advertising. Certain demographics are targeted of course, but no advertising or PR strategies ever lean on culture warring as a way to sell product. Largely because advertising psychology solely depends on positivity (faked or otherwise) and no companies want the bad press that inevitably comes with entering into culture war stuff. Clients are always - always - very risk averse.
People called toning down Christmas specific imagery as a "war on Christmas."

Trying to appeal to broader demographics IS a "culture war" to these people. It's a "woke mind virus" to have a gay couple in an ad..

I always find it hilariously melodramatic, but what can you do? Nothing changes the minds of people so lost in the sauce.*

* yes, I'm borrowing that from DeepEnigma.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom