• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch vs Speedrun Community Drama (update: Twitch officially responds)

rrs

They, as a mass, seeked Horror's removal from Twitch. The admins/staff members saw that as a personal attack towards Horror. You don't walk into a company and seek somebodies removal, that's just not right or fair, at all. You handle that situation discreet and talk with the people first. Horror did overreact, yes, because he lost control over his feelings and brought them to his workplace. You don't do that, that's right. But he stepped back. What do you want him to do additionally? Do you want to see his head roll, for this stupid thing? People will not even talk about it, in a coupple of days.

Supposedly a diplomatic approach was tried with staff and had failed. But, the #removehorror was handled with bans and proceeded to fall victim to Streisand effect over twitch and social media. This explosion also came with a lot of very inappropriate personal jabs (even here on NeoGAF) rather than those of his administrative actions.

I have a feeling Horror has more to do with the company and the history of Twitch than they're willing to reveal. Maybe an investor or creator of some feature. Or childhood friend.

I think the CEO handled this quite well.

Those was a shockingly diplomatic responses on Reddit. And the response in the updated OP is astonishing in how well written it is, and the corrective points outlined, considering the issue started as ugly stupid internet drama.

If I owned a site and it was ever in a pinch, I would ask him if he was willing to be paid to write professional apology letters on the side.

DataGhost

They, as a mass, seeked Horror's removal from Twitch. The admins/staff members saw that as a personal attack towards Horror. You don't walk into a company and seek somebodies removal, that's just not right or fair, at all. You handle that situation discreet and talk with the people first. Horror did overreact, yes, because he lost control over his feelings and brought them to his workplace. You don't do that, that's right. But he stepped back. What do you want him to do additionally? Do you want to see his head roll, for this stupid thing? People will not even talk about it, in a coupple of days.

Writing "REMOVE HORROR" is like the occupy wall street people. There's nothing wrong with it. You're protesting. That was not an attack in anyway. It's civil disobedience. The streamer was streaming while they have the title. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you see something wrong with that...well, what can I tell you but I hope you don't see every little thing in real life as harmful. A title doesn't do anything and the CEO even admitted that:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm...tch_response_to_controversy/cdk6bmm?context=3

I do not understand why you are so hostile. What I wish to see is that Horror is removed from any sort of administrative duties. It is clear from the evidence that he can't handle the responsibilities of administrative duties properly even when people are wrong. He could have closed the chat instead of shutting down the civil disobedience but he went on a banning spree with the help of some other Twitch Staff. It goes to show that he does not deserve it and that from now on, any admin will require sufficient training before assuming their duties. That's all and has been confirmed by the CEO

Mr Jared

Not true.

Direct from our CEO on Reddit:

We've completely removed him from any sort of moderation or abusable power whatsoever.

Horror will not come back to moderation. This is a promise.

And one more just because it makes me happy that we're saying this kind of stuff out loud now:

[...] We will be building a full time paid admin team going forward. Clearly relying on volunteers made sense when we were tiny, but it doesn't work anymore.

DataGhost

Half assed non apology with no consequences for that dudes behavior? Ustream time

Thankfully, the consequences has been confirmed. The new OP states that he has been completely reprimanded and stripped of any administrative duties/abilities now and future.

Direct from our CEO on Reddit:

Yes, I know this now several hours after I posted that because the CEO has only clarified that statment within the last few hours. He even updated OP.

... I also just noticed your title

Proven

Writing "REMOVE HORROR" is like the occupy wall street people. There's nothing wrong with it. You're protesting. That was not an attack in anyway. It's civil disobedience. The streamer was streaming while they have the title. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you see something wrong with that...well, what can I tell you but I hope you don't see every little thing in real life as harmful. A title doesn't do anything and the CEO even admitted that:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm...tch_response_to_controversy/cdk6bmm?context=3

I do not understand why you are so hostile. What I wish to see is that Horror is removed from any sort of administrative duties. It is clear from the evidence that he can't handle the responsibilities of administrative duties properly even when people are wrong. He could have closed the chat instead of shutting down the civil disobedience but he went on a banning spree with the help of some other Twitch Staff. It goes to show that he does not deserve it and that from now on, any admin will require sufficient training before assuming their duties. That's all and has been confirmed by the CEO

I honestly can't see the "Remove Horror" stuff as simple civil disobedience. I mean, it's not like it was public property this was happening on. And it wasn't criticism. It was a statement. Criticism would have been a petition, posts on blogs, forums, etc. Criticism covers the discussion had in this thread. The whole Remove Horror stuff all over twitch came off as a mob shouting over and over again to get what they wanted. They tried to make him feel like he was no longer welcome on the website. That's easily viewable as harassment.

DataGhost

I honestly can't see the "Remove Horror" stuff as simple civil disobedience. I mean, it's not like it was public property this was happening on. And it wasn't criticism. It was a statement. Criticism would have been a petition, posts on blogs, forums, etc. Criticism covers the discussion had in this thread. The whole Remove Horror stuff all over twitch came off as a mob shouting over and over again to get what they wanted. They tried to make him feel like he was no longer welcome on the website. That's easily viewable as harassment.
Definition of civil disobedience: "the refusal to comply with certain laws or to pay taxes and fines, as a peaceful form of political protest."

All they did was post it in their title while streaming because their fellow speed runner has been banned for making a single joke. The title can be seen as public property, though I do not see how that is in anyway relevant to civil disobedience. They did not call for a witch hunt. They did not call for harrassment. The trolls decided to do all that. All they did was put two words in their title. One of the staff even changed I believe the streamer Peaches__'s title to just the word REMOVE from REMOVE HORROR and told them not to change it back. They didn't, but changed it to remove horrible zombies. They were banned over night. If you're telling me that is harrassment, I don't know what you see as regular protesting and freedom of speech in your daily life.

From the CEO himself:

Proven

Definition of civil disobedience: "the refusal to comply with certain laws or to pay taxes and fines, as a peaceful form of political protest."

All they did was post it in their title while streaming because their fellow speed runner has been banned for making a single joke. The title can be seen as public property, though I do not see how that is in anyway relevant to civil disobedience. They did not call for a witch hunt. They did not call for harrassment. The trolls decided to do all that. All they did was put two words in their title. One of the staff even changed I believe the streamer Peaches__'s title to just the word REMOVE from REMOVE HORROR and told them not to change it back. They didn't, but changed it to remove horrible zombies. They were banned over night. If you're telling me that is harrassment, I don't know what you see as regular protesting and freedom of speech in your daily life.

From the CEO himself:

Definition of harassment: "aggressive pressure or intimidation"

That's what the twitch admins saw all streamers changing their titles doing. Since the CEO posted about it I'll drop it for now, but I'd also would prefer a clarification between people posting things in chat and streamers changing their channel titles which shows up in more than just their private corner of twitch.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
"Remove Horror is clearly not harassment" Twitch CEO

DataGhost

Definition of harassment: "aggressive pressure or intimidation"

That's what the twitch admins saw all streamers changing their titles doing. Since the CEO posted about it I'll drop it for now, but I'd also would prefer a clarification between people posting things in chat and streamers changing their channel titles which shows up in more than just their private corner of twitch.

That is true. Still the CEO drew a fine line in his comments. Anything that counts as an insult to phone calls to actual harrassment is well, harassment. Protesting your friends losing their stream, not harrassment because it was direct consequence of the first unfair ban.

UnrealEck

I'm not sure if it's the same admins, but just before Twitch was started, most of the admins on JTV were pretty clueless. In fact I can't even remember running into one that clearly knew what they were talking about. Some of them were regulars to JTV and were moderators in a few channels (which is not a big deal at all) that seem to have been given admin rights based on their activeness on the site. I recall seeing some of JTV's admins trying to help people with stream issues and they didn't seem to know what they were talking about. I'm sure Twitch has 'proper' admins though that know what they're doing but I'm not so sure the ones that are clueless are no longer sporting the admin tag.

KevKevinator

Neo Member
I just read through this entire thread and have learned many disturbing things. Never really go on twitch or reddit, never plan to now. They don't deserve my clicks. I'm glad I am a part of GAF now, much less ignorance and immaturity around here.

TaTdV.gif

To an extent, of course. I've seen a fair share of both around here, but nowhere near the level of other forums/communities.

EDIT: Glad they sorted the issue out, kind of.

Axass

Yo, I'm one of the /r/games moderators, and want to clear up a few things up about Twitch posts being removed last night (I'm not a mod of /r/gaming, so I don't know know that much about the order of events there).

Duke_Bilgewater contacted us last night about wanted to make a post about this, and we said he could as long as the post didn't have vote cheating. He posted the link, and within a few minutes it has 30+ upvotes. Posts do not get that many upvotes in that short of a time on /r/games, and it was not the most active time of the day for /r/games. Additionally, many of the accounts that had voted and made comments in the thread were new accounts and/or were not active on /r/games. due to all of this, we removed the post.

We were able to discover that the vote manipulation was due to Duke linking to the the thread on IRC, and after some back and forth, I was able to contact Duke on IRC. I told him he could make another post as long as he didn't link to it on IRC, but he said he didn't want to make another thread. We then allowed the first post about twitch that wasn't vote manipulated in a major way (it could of been a better title though), and since it was late, I went to bed and the rest of /r/games mods dealt with the .

At no time was I or any of the /r/games mods contacted by people from twitch asking for the post to be removed.

Duke is not known for vote cheating, and I was ok with him making another post about the situation, but he did not want to make another post about it.

/r/games is based on user voting. A traditional post may get a few votes in the first few minutes. A big story would have a hard time getting the amount of upvotes in the time Duke's post did (about 2 minutes). We were able to find out information about who voted on the post, and many of the votes were from accounts that had never been on /r/games before (which points to them being linked from somewhere) and completely new accounts, many from the same few IPs. We were able to find out that Duke had posted this link on an IRC channel, and many of the voters came in from there. We were happy to allow Duke's post, but the vote cheating on that post was too much, and so we removed it like we do for every post that has that level of manipulation

As other GAFfers explained, this whole explanation makes no sense whatsoever. In any case you guys managed the situation very poorly. You're just lucky Twitch screwed up more than you.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The fact it went this far and had to have this much attention to it should still show how shitty they are regarding customer service, a simple acknowledgement isn't enough to satisfy me.

There was solidarity with the admins behind one idiots power trip, they should all be removed and completely replaced asap by accountable, trained employees with strict guidelines.

This shit is directly hooked up to my console, I don't need highschool-esque drama related to furry icons touching my gaming world. Shit isn't 4chan.

Why do all these big companies take so long to react?
It should have been a no brainer to remove this particular mod within a day of the incident, and that would have saved Twitch a ton of negative PR.

I just read through this entire thread and have learned many disturbing things. Never really go on twitch or reddit, never plan to now. They don't deserve my clicks. I'm glad I am a part of GAF now, much less ignorance and immaturity around here.

GGwc8.gif

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Why do all these big companies take so long to react?
It should have been a no brainer to remove this particular mod within a day of the incident, and that would have saved Twitch a ton of negative PR.

From what i've seen, the guy Horror has some personal connections or something. He keeps doing stupid shit, and people keep giving him power.

Why I like neogaf so much, even the mods who are kinda iffy are almost immediately de-modded or the problem is fixed so fast I haven't even noticed something like this in the 6+ years browsing the site.

Horror is active again on twitter and just posted this for his side of the story: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eH4aMK_kH4-P6qVqzhT9gQBqZtHelMg_Q4Ce6TjUoFQ/edit

What a maniac.

I recognized Duke’s name from all this, and his post among the swarm of hate I was getting in the chat, and banned him for harassment, which it very much so was at the time.
What kind of policy is it to allow mods to make decisions like this about stuff directed at them? 1 or 2 people doing it is whatever, but when it's evolved into a shitnado you get someone else to handle it so you at least save face.

Top Bottom