• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal live-action show headed to Peacock

Draugoth

Gold Member
Twisted-Metal-Anthony-Mackie.jpg

Peacock has handed a series order to Twisted Metal, a comedic half-hour live-action adaptation of the popular video game, from Sony Pictures TV, Playstation Productions and Universal Television. Anthony Mackie (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier) stars and executive produces the project, first announced in September, which is written and executive produced by Cobra Kai writer Michael Jonathan Smith, who will serve as showrunner. Will Arnett and Marc Forman, who secured the rights to the material and helped put the adaptation together, also executive produce via their Electric Avenue production company.

93xfan

Banned
got my first PlayStation for TM1. Even so, I don’t know that I have any interest for this. Cool for fans of the lore though

zeorhymer

Michael Jonathan Smith - Wrote Diary of a Future President. Which was cancelled after 2 seasons. He also wrote If Star Wars Had Tinder.

Trash fire waiting to happen.

Twisted Metal seems like a ridiculous game to try to make a TV show out of, might as well make a live action Mario Kart, at least you would know all the characters.

The only upside is that you can kind of tell whatever story you want, the "lore" in the games is completely forgettable. I just wonder how you can make an entire series about over the top destruction derby racers......

Uhhhh. I'm very curious to see a trailer or something for this but I do not have high hopes. How about they just make a new game? I would be happy with that instead.

Sadly it went under the radar, but Blood Drive did.
If this could be at least half as good we are in for a treat.

dz2ukxep6nfborvmklmg.gif
this is looks stupid as hell. This reminds me when my cousins boyfriend thought it was a good idea to pick “Hobo with a shotgun“ as the movie to watch at family event.

I cant believe Sony pick this franchise of all franchises to invest into. I guess as long as they give up full creative control and it doesnt stick storywise anywhere near the games it will do fine, as long as its funny.

I'm probably the minority here but this is something I would definitely be interested in at least giving a chance

has tons of potential tbh

even if it's bad, it could easily be a bad good show.

The Alien

Banned
My reaction when I first heard the details:

Peacock = ugh
Anthony Mackie = Cool
Cobra Kai guys = huh? Whats this gonna be?
Will Arnett = OK...now WTF is this gonna be.

Whatever it's gonna be, yiu can bet it ain't gonna be the Twisted Metal u think it should be.

I'll check out the first episode but there is a 0% chance I'm signing up for a streaming service to watch a Twisted Metal series.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Give it a chance people. I’m excited for it. TM has a fun plot, it’s simple but can allow depth. People with interesting back stories drive and Kill other interesting people all to get their wish granted by the mysterious demon Calypso.

coffinbirth

Love Twisted Metal, but this seems like a gigantic waste of time and resources by everyone involved. I imagine this was shopped around to every streaming service before it finally landed on Peacock, so the writing should've been on the wall for them months ago.

I really hope the new Twisted Metal game is good at least, that PS3 one really sucked.

Now, I'd like to see a game that is like Twisted Metal but is essentially Death Race 2000. Basically Carmageddon cross country, but with Death Race 2000 licensing. You could also make a Gumball Rally game with this, but without all the carnage. Google Street view would be neat to see integrated into something like this, kinda like Flight Sim but in a cross country racing game would be cool.
tumblr_nk98cyz9ZM1r2giaio1_400.gif

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hollywood has money to spend and they’re willing to take chances on projects like twisted metal the tv show.

video games GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Cancel it before it airs. Seriously, they will fuck it up anyway.

It's not about artistic integrity. Look at the crap that already gets watched.

It's about pulling in viewers, specifically from the preferred target audience (young people). Show will probably release near games launch.

Twisted Metal could do well.

bitbydeath

this is looks stupid as hell. This reminds me when my cousins boyfriend thought it was a good idea to pick “Hobo with a shotgun“ as the movie to watch at family event.

I cant believe Sony pick this franchise of all franchises to invest into. I guess as long as they give up full creative control and it doesnt stick storywise anywhere near the games it will do fine, as long as its funny.
It’s exactly what Twisted Metal should be aiming for, completely over the top characters, mixed with racing and gore.

Lunarorbit

OK... Now I'm interested. Mackie plus the writer of cobra kai. Unless the last 2 seasons of cobra kai suck (haven't seen them yet) then this is awesome.

Sonys totally auditioning these studios too if bet. Got hbo to do tlou. Now peacock with this. I thought Netflix was gonna do this but maybe they could do a anime/cartoon of a game. I think funhouse did the castlevania show so get them to do it and have Netflix distribute it

Lunarorbit

Love Twisted Metal, but this seems like a gigantic waste of time and resources by everyone involved. I imagine this was shopped around to every streaming service before it finally landed on Peacock, so the writing should've been on the wall for them months ago.

I really hope the new Twisted Metal game is good at least, that PS3 one really sucked.

Now, I'd like to see a game that is like Twisted Metal but is essentially Death Race 2000. Basically Carmageddon cross country, but with Death Race 2000 licensing. You could also make a Gumball Rally game with this, but without all the carnage. Google Street view would be neat to see integrated into something like this, kinda like Flight Sim but in a cross country racing game would be cool.
tumblr_nk98cyz9ZM1r2giaio1_400.gif
Remember when sly Stallone knocks out his navigator in this movie. Shit is hilarious to watch now since he seems like such a nice guy. He's pretty underrated as an actor.

It’s exactly what Twisted Metal should be aiming for, completely over the top characters, mixed with racing and gore.
completely disagree. gore is not needed. Its basically gonna be Mad Max.
55539308eab8ea117cfda37e

5553986cecad044729fda37d

“Mackie stars as John Doe, a smart-ass milkman who talks as fast as he drives. With no memory of his past, John gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make his wish of finding community come true, but only if he can survive an onslaught of savage vehicular combat.”

Based on the classic PlayStation game series, Twisted Metal is a high-octane action comedy, based on an original take by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Deadpool, Zombieland) about a motor-mouthed outsider offered a chance at a better life, but only if he can successfully deliver a mysterious package across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. With the help of a trigger-happy car thief, he’ll face savage marauders driving vehicles of destruction and other dangers of the open road, including a deranged clown who drives an all too familiar ice cream truck.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So apparently Somoa Joe (AEW, TNA, WWE) is going to be playing Sweet Tooth in this show.

That's .. an unusual piece of casting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom