• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I actually got some backlash when discussed the motion thing at 30-24fps on another thread, so was hesitant to touch the matter again as some thought I was hating on it (although I've listed C9, CX, and XH90 as my short list of recommendations). Many people who are so angry at 30fps gaming have tv's aren't handling motion properly.

It's a general OLED thing, LCD's tend to have better motion. But Sony is the top in image/motion processing as I hear experts say on youtube, and I picked it for productivity by reflecting accurate colors when editing videos/photos.

I had some motion problems with my 2015 LG LCD 4K as well in 30fps for gaming. It's not huge for some but can give you fatigue and make you hate 30fps so much. 60fps is great and you have no problem there, I guess.

Thank you for sharing, and so far I think XH90 (X900H) is the best budget tv for next gen gaming, but we're still waiting for the HDMI 2.1 firmware update and see how they review it. It starts at 55" though, unlike it's younger brother XH80 that starts at 43" but without HDMI 2.1.

If someone is too hesitant should even wait for CES 2021 and if he sees something that he likes then wait and buy it, if not then all 2020 tv's should have great price cuts around that time.
Oh, I feel you. OLED owners tend to be very defensive when you say you’re not entirely convinced that this tech is the end-all and be-all of TVs. Ironically, for people like me it appears that LCD motion blur could actually be a solution rather than a flaw, LOL.

The truth is, since I’ve had the C9 I’ve watched a lot of movies, but I’m always a bit hesitant to play games, especially on my Switch. Low resolution + unsmoothed OLED motion can be nasty. And yeah, yesterday I was physically fatigued after a day of gaming with my friends, even with 60fps games. Apparently a TV such as this is only ideal if you have the absolute best material to watch on it, but I’d like something more versatile.

If HDMI 2.1 wasn’t potentially a big deal I’d probably be happy with an older set, but as a gamer and as someone who spent 8 years with a plasma, I don’t really want to sacrifice features and quality if a seemingly complete package like the X900H can be had for less than €1500 new.

I invite anyone interested in good gaming TVs for 2020 and 2021 to share their opinions here. I’m definitely keeping the C9 for the time being, but I still think that I’ll switch to something else by next year.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
After reading nearly the entirety of the internet about what tv i should get i came to this conclusion :
- sony s tv are the leader in the most importznt thing for me ie motion.
- oled is a no no for me for 3 reasons :
* My tv is in a very bright room.
* Burn in...
* I shoot for 75", so price is becoming a problem.
- 2 contenders emerge : xh900 or xh950. The later has everything i want except; hdmi 2.1. a tvby the same sony would is going to launch ps5....
Xh900 has everything i want except xwide angle....
arggh.
- samsung qled are not on my radar due to inferior motion.

If you watch the latest video put up about X900H, viewing angle seems decent. Actually I saw X950H having this viewing angle problem with their smaller model. But it's better to see them in person and decide for yourself.

I never though that X900H would be this cheap, it's actually the cheapest, yet very good quality, starting at $999 for 55" (although if you like the built-in acoustic sound it only comes with 65" and higher). Witing for discounts or at least around PS5/XSX release would be the best timing.

I will run some blooming tests once it gets dark

I can see it has some but doesnt look too bad as of yet.

Yup, in most viewing scenarios it's hard to get annoyed by it, I guess. But would love more details about it. I can even go extreme and turn off local dimming as I'm already doing good without it, but I don't game on extremely dark room and it's always decently lit.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If you watch the latest video put up about X900H, viewing angle seems decent. Actually I saw X950H having this viewing angle problem with their smaller model. But it's better to see them in person and decide for yourself.

I never though that X900H would be this cheap, it's actually the cheapest, yet very good quality, starting at $999 for 55" (although if you like the built-in acoustic sound it only comes with 65" and higher). Witing for discounts or at least around PS5/XSX release would be the best timing.

Yup, in most viewing scenarios it's hard to get annoyed by it, I guess. But would love more details about it. I can even go extreme and turn off local dimming as I'm already doing good without it, but I don't game on extremely dark room and it's always decently lit.

The screen is super reflective which will kill this set where I plan to use it so it may have to stay in my basement.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh, I feel you. OLED owners tend to be very defensive when you say you’re not entirely convinced that this tech is the end-all and be-all of TVs. Ironically, for people like me it appears that LCD motion blur could actually be a solution rather than a flaw, LOL.

The truth is, since I’ve had the C9 I’ve watched a lot of movies, but I’m always a bit hesitant to play games, especially on my Switch. Low resolution + unsmoothed OLED motion can be nasty. And yeah, yesterday I was physically fatigued after a day of gaming with my friends, even with 60fps games. Apparently a TV such as this is only ideal if you have the absolute best material to watch on it, but I’d like something more versatile.

If HDMI wasn’t potentially a big deal I’d probably be happy with an older set, but as a gamer and as someone who spent 8 years with a plasma, I don’t really want to sacrifice features and quality if a seemingly complete package like the X900H can be had for less than €1500 new.

I invite anyone interested in good gaming TVs for 2020 and 2021 to share their opinions here. I’m definitely keeping the C9 for the time being, but I still think that I’ll switch to something else by next year.

Yeah, some think when I talk about image/motion processing prowess of Sony that I'm a shill. Well, I am but that doesn't mean that I'm lying. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

C9 in particular got so much exposure from PC gamers, and sadly many PC gamers have problem with their ego and calling everybody a peasant if says something negative about something they're using. OLED is a wonderful tech, but it'll probably die few years from now as dual-layer LCD's and the ultimate tv tech "microLED" will be hitting the market going forward with nearly no flaws: Eye-melting brightness 4,000-10,000 nits (Sony Z9G already at 4,000 but your wallet would melt before your eyes), perfect blacks due to 1:1 led back light per pixel, LCD durability, exceptional HDR performance!

You already own a great tv overall, but if you still not liking it, it's better to wait at least for CES 2021 and just see what's being offered, if nothing much then get the XH90 with a big discount. My Sony HDR 4K (DX70) is since 2016 with the PS4 Pro, so the upgrade is worth it. But the real upgrade would be 8K microLED around 2024-2025 with PS5 Pro and probably a better version of HDMI offering up to 4K@240Hz and 8K@120Hz!

Humbug. Why would I want past 32" in front of my keyboard?

Do you have some extra space behind you? You can mount it on the wall and stll use your existing desktop set up but pushed slightly on the back, or try one of these setups:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The screen is super reflective which will kill this set where I plan to use it so it may have to stay in my basement.

I have 3 layers of curtains to block potential sunlight from behind and use the side window with 2 layers for dimming and nice light spread that is far from reflecting on the tv.

Well I usually only use the apajoras and only have very minor reflections while gaming.

DSC-0865.jpg

Yup, I game in the bed room as I have a semi-floor in our family house (2.5 floors), a bedroom and a living room. Living room would be dictated by me if I go there so I'm good at the bed room but 100% using headphones/headsets and no open back headsets for me as my Astro A40 is already pretty noisy for them (wife, little daughter) while they're sleeping, lol.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The Sony 65X900H has been a pleasant surprise.
Picture quality is better than I expected,UI is fast,blacks are great and gaming has been fast.

Havent ventured much into gaming yet but I agree with you.

UI is super snappy and I keep getting impressed with the 4k upscaling. Watching local channels over DirecTV and this Golf thats on looks damn close to Native 4k to me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You guys better watch the PS5 games trailers in 4K from the Playstation channel on youtube and get a glimpse of next gen sharpness! Native 4K is a very important thing for me, although I don't mind less resolution with higher framreates for some games, but still native 4K is just so satisfying to look at, even in youtube as like 30% of the content I watch is in 4K and I'm being committed to 4K@60fps videography going forward. Here's a humble video of mine:

S0ULZB0URNE

You guys better watch the PS5 games trailers in 4K from the Playstation channel on youtube and get a glimpse of next gen sharpness! Native 4K is a very important thing for me, although I don't mind less resolution with higher framreates for some games, but still native 4K is just so satisfying to look at, even in youtube as like 30% of the content I watch is in 4K and I'm being committed to 4K@60fps videography going forward. Here's a humble video of mine:

This channel plays the videos in HDR so I use my gaming devices/picture settings to see how things will look ;)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well I am getting 14ms input lag which is lower than the 16ms of 60fps.
120fps should give even lower input lag :)

That's already wonderful! Do you have a device to measure it? Or like you can do it using a smartphone app? I saw a review showing 14ms for 1080p but would love to know more of 4K@60 HDR now and later after the update for comparisons.

This channel plays the videos in HDR so I use my gaming devices/picture settings to see how things will look ;)

Sweet! But I doubt it'll be like the native HDR content. This game looks unbelieveable, just look at this screenshot that looks like a CGI movie! It's that good when not compressed heavily by youtube. That video I posted is actually 461MB on my PC after rendering it at 68mbps instead of 110-100mbps, and then it gets compressed to 159MB on youtube! And my footage is actually 8-bit, and that PS5 footage is at least 10-bit footage which is massively better and higher color depth. (Captured on PS5 down on the left!)

49996551392_cd9f3e44f6_o.png

n0razi

Why not both?

Im running an Alienware G-Sync monitor for twitch/FPS gaming and an LG OLED for cinematic gaming.... not to mention the PVM CRT for retro gaming.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why not both?

Im running an Alienware G-Sync monitor for twitch/FPS gaming and an LG OLED for cinematic gaming.... not to mention the PVM CRT for retro gaming.

Best way to roll.

I play fast games on my LG 27GL850 and like you for those pretty games I use my 77" C9 though this X900H going to be getting a lot of love.

i'm hearing a lot of good things about the Hisense H9G I saw some video reviews and the motion seems great the tv gets bright and has low input lag. Colors seem on point. What do you guys think of that tv? Im looking at non oled alternatives

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i'm hearing a lot of good things about the Hisense H9G I saw some video reviews and the motion seems great the tv gets bright and has low input lag. Colors seem on point. What do you guys think of that tv? Im looking at non oled alternatives

Yup, it's one of the best HDMI 2.0, 4K@60fps HDR tv's money can get, our friend HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has one, and it has a ridiculous amount of dimming zones. Price is also insanely good.

He as well has Sony X900H and LG C9, both are considered my top personal recommendation for next gen gaming for HDMI 2.1. Sony X900H packs incredible value at 55" at $999, although if you want the acoustic sound from the built in speakers you should go 65-85".

What's your tv budget? And do you think you can have like a 12-24 months plan in one of the shops around you? I personally think Sony X900H is the best bang for the buck, and has superior color accuracy, image upscaling, motion 240Hz processing. The H9G will have better blacks due to superior dimming zones which makes it a wonderful movie and general content tv and in the dark.

It's great to have HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 among us having both H9G and X900H along with C9 to help people out. Although X900H is the best for full next gen experience, you'll be more than satisfied with H9G.

Hope these videos help you out:

Last edited:

Rikkori

Don't go non-Sony unless it's for budgetary reasons. The problem with the Hisense and all the rest (TCL Vizio Samsung etc) is that their contrast is at the expense of shadow detail, so you will get a lot of black crush. On top of that they will all have various sacrifices that very few reviews if any point out but which are definite downgrades (abysmal pwm, weird behaviours with some hdmi ports, locking to certain colour spaces etc). And worst of all? They all have shit calibration, while Sony's is impeccable out of the box, so unless you plan to call someone over to do that for you that's another $200-300 value for the Sony.

If you want a good TV for HDR gaming then go with Sony LED from the 90s range (XF90, XG90, XH90 etc.) Obviously if you want HDMI 2.1 then XH90 but the older ones are good too for just 4K 60 gaming if you find them at much lower prices.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

That H9G is a gorgeous panel for just watching TV/Movies and this set in particular does not have the black crush that the poster above me threw a blanket over complete brands.

The drawbacks on the Hisense are the UI is not near as snappy as I would like, the 4k upscaling is not near as good as Sonys and of course losing the gaming features.

But for a $900 TV the colors are amazing, has super deep blacks with 180 dimming zones on the 65", 1000 nits of brightness and pretty decent onboard sounding speakers.

Sitting them side by side to the Sony X900H for just movie watching the Hisense actually has the better picture in 4k HDR.

scalman

Superior image quality not so sure , i mean about ppi density, take monitor 2x smaller then hdtv same specs let say 1080p image cryspyness will be very noticeable. And if compare laptop screen to tv is even more noticeable. But im all for sitting comfy in couch with controller playing pc games on large screen, compared to watching into monitor or laptop at home at least.
My last pc didint even had monitor was just on tv all times. And played nothing with mouse just controller.
But now im playing smt on laptop 1080p screen maxed and then plug that to sony bravia 40 ' kdr model. Yes collors much better on tv but not details. How could they be with that ppi difference.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Indeed, what you see is most likely 25% of the actual graphics intended for the same tv size. If you are happy with what you got imagine you get the same graphics 4x sharper and cleaner. 4K TV's make 1080p look even better if you still wanna play at 1080p for example, when upgraded from my 37" 2007 1080p LCD LG to 55" 2015 4K LCD LG games looked way, way more better and sharper on PS4. Then went to Sony 55" 2016 4K HDR LCD LED (DX70) with PS4 Pro games looked miles better! Small text are very visible and readable, especially that the shift happened in the middle of playing Watch Dogs 2 and the difference is staggering.

8K are even much more better than 4K, problem is we don't have enough content to justify their expensive pricetags, so leave them until 2024-2025 until microLED hits the market, the perfect, flawless tv tech.

If you have a tight budget, you can tell us your max/min and ideal price and size, and we'll try our best to help you pick what suits you and makes you happy. At this point, any cheap 4K HDR or even just 4K tv will look insanely better than any 1080p tv. Expensive tv's aren't always the best for gaming as well, you may check and search about this list for HDMI 2.1, but not that some aren't supporting 100% features. So far I know LG C9, B9 and Sony HX90 that will support full HDMI 2.1 features:

▶ HDMI 2.1 TVs:
LG: C9, G9, W9, Z9, CX, GX, WX, XZ + 2020 NanoCell TVs.
Samsung: Q70T, Q80T, Q90T, Q90R, Q95T, Q800T, Q900TS, Q950TS
Sony: Z8H, X900H
Other: TCL & Vizio and more brands are adding HDMI 2.1 TVs this year.

But even HDMI 2.0 4K HDR will make you 90% satisfied. You don't need to pay the extra money for that remaining 10% if you think it's in the expensive range, as most games will still be targeting 30/60fps.
Not to discredit you or anything, but this sounds too good to be true. How is that possible? I mean, I'm sure the TVs screen is better of course, but how can it look sharper at the same resolution when the TV is much bigger? That means the pixels are bigger, doesn't it? I honesty don't get it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Superior image quality not so sure , i mean about ppi density, take monitor 2x smaller then hdtv same specs let say 1080p image cryspyness will be very noticeable. And if compare laptop screen to tv is even more noticeable. But im all for sitting comfy in couch with controller playing pc games on large screen, compared to watching into monitor or laptop at home at least.

Yup, but it's a very complicated matter. Some high-end monitors support only 8-bit color, that could easily cause banding and cheap overall image quality:

1766257102c5c3dd8f.jpg

HDMI 2.1 processes 12-bit color depth source then down sampled to 10-bit with 48Gbps bandwidth like LG C9 and Sony X900H, but CX does only 40Gbps and 10-bit source which still have barely any noticeable downgrade overall.

maxresdefault.jpg

Look at it as how photography works. Photographers praise raw 12-bit due to better details reserved compared to straight 8-bit photos, then you export them to 8-bit and looks superior to original JPG photo.

I'll try to show you a photo I made with my DJI Osmo Pocket, 12.1MP, a mediocre cam compared to SLR's indeed:

JPG, you find many details being a bit crushed, it's a 5.5MB photo: (In case you were wondering, that's the Red-legged Orb-web Spider, Nephila sumptuosa, can have as wide as 7 meters web, and can catch birds as well. It has the toughest silk as far as I know, not very venomous though)

DCIM-100-MEDIA-DJI-0655-JPG.jpg

And here is a PNG of the raw 12-bit, untouched with no editing, looks a bit pale and you have way more flexibility editing editing it with more details reserved, it's a 26.5MB photo. You can produce a much better JPG out if it than the one shown above:

DJI-0655.png

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I basically use my oled tv as a pc monitor so i guess i'm with you on this one.

Just try to use auto bar hide mode and use more full screen just in case! What model/size?

Not to discredit you or anything, but this sounds too good to be true. How is that possible? I mean, I'm sure the TVs screen is better of course, but how can it look sharper at the same resolution when the TV is much bigger? That means the pixels are bigger, doesn't it? I honesty don't get it.

It's due to pixel density. You won't believe it until you see it. Here, take a look:

GymWolf

Just try to use auto bar hide mode and use more full screen just in case! What model/size?

It's due to pixel density. You won't believe it until you see it. Here, take a look:

I don't really need to do that because i never suffered an inch of burn in and this is the 4th tv i use as a monitor, and my previous televisions were oled or plasma, so yeah...or i'm the luckiest mofo on earth or this burn in narrative is vastly exagerated.

I have a panasonic fz800 55" right now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't really need to do that because i never suffered an inch of burn in and this is the 4th tv i use as a monitor, and my previous televisions were oled or plasma, so yeah...or i'm the luckiest mofo on earth or this burn in narrative is vastly exagerated.

I have a panasonic fz800 55" right now.

Yup, most of the people reporting it are mostly LG's, and mostly before B9/C9 era so far. Still, you can offset that with not using brightness overkill as well. New Panasonic OLED actually has a new cooling method that made it reach around 1,000-nits! So probably Panasonic know their shit even if they're using LG panel:

I love Panasonic products overall, except their AC's are crap, lol.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yup, most of the people reporting it are mostly LG's, and mostly before B9/C9 era so far. Still, you can offset that with not using brightness overkill as well. New Panasonic OLED actually has a new cooling method that made it reach around 1,000-nits! So probably Panasonic know their shit even if they're using LG panel:

I love Panasonic products overall, except their AC's are crap, lol.

I'm always gonna buy panasonic oled tv, it's a shame that americans can't buy their products easily.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm always gonna buy panasonic oled tv, it's a shame that americans can't buy their products easily.

If you love Panasonic OLED's, you better wait for CES 2021 as much more TV's will embrace HDMI 2.1! Panasonic OLED with it's best brightness peak and interesting cooling system for that panel should be more burn-in resilient with fantastic colors and image. Panasonic are competing with Sony in cameras and imaging so they know their shit.

GymWolf

If you love Panasonic OLED's, you better wait for CES 2021 as much more TV's will embrace HDMI 2.1! Panasonic OLED with it's best brightness peak and interesting cooling system for that panel should be more burn-in resilient with fantastic colors and image. Panasonic are competing with Sony in cameras and imaging so they know their shit.
Yeah i'm waiting at least 2021-22 to change tv, i want that fucking hdmi 2.1 as a standard.

makaveli60

Ah, so by clearer picture you meant less aliasing, fair enough. Aliasing is the thing I hate the most so it's good but I misunderstood what you meant by clarity. Though I suppose I need a TV that has good upscaler built in it to get this benefit.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ah, so by clearer picture you meant less aliasing, fair enough. Aliasing is the thing I hate the most so it's good but I misunderstood what you meant by clarity.

Hmm, not that, but makes the illusion that it's near native 4K, until you see a real native 4K content. Of course it depends on the tv and upscaling capabilities. If you see it in person you'll see the difference and clarity even for 1080p content.

scalman

so in the end everyone with different TV's and monitor just having different picture, it doesnt matter that one sayd or im playing on 4k TV , but what kind of 4k TV , there are cheap 4k tv's that wont be as good as those more expencive ones. my tv shows 12bit color when i connect it to ps4 , and yes bvlack very impressive and colors very impressive, but that resolution still makes those small details more crisp on screen that is in much better ppi there, like someone have 4k LED laptop screen , imagine how much detailed that is to look at vs lets say 50' 4k HDTV screen
its like back in the day i played witcher 3 on older laptop that had just 720p scren , but it was looking fine on that small screen even at 720p , so someone who looked at this on his 50' 1080p hdtv screen and telling how my res is crap compare to his picture. well but mine 720p was on 15' screen and his 1080p was on 50'

Last edited:
Yup, but it's a very complicated matter. Some high-end monitors support only 8-bit color, that could easily cause banding and cheap overall image quality:
Color banding is not a huge issue at 8bit color (more accurately 24bit...but that's facetious). It can be seen, but a simple (and incredibly cheap) temporal dither shader before quantization will nuke it from orbit without affecting the image perceptibly. Hell, the fact that your example image has to go out of its way to further degrade the bit depth of the image below 8bit to make it noticable should tell you everything you need to know. There are bonuses of additional bit depth, the elimination of banding is not one of them...especially not when said additional bits aren't actually being used add more steps in the 0.0-1.0 range, but to allow it to get brighter than 1.0.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You have a very tight budget for $600-1000 max? Don't worry, check this amazing video, and note that prices are changing the more we go to the end of 2020 or early 2021 for best deals:

Thanks to Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31 for that video.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Color banding is not a huge issue at 8bit color (more accurately 24bit...but that's facetious). It can be seen, but a simple (and incredibly cheap) temporal dither shader before quantization will nuke it from orbit without affecting the image perceptibly. Hell, the fact that your example image has to go out of its way to further degrade the bit depth of the image below 8bit to make it noticable should tell you everything you need to know. There are bonuses of additional bit depth, the elimination of banding is not one of them...especially not when said additional bits aren't actually being used add more steps in the 0.0-1.0 range, but to allow it to get brighter than 1.0.

Actually TV's do 12-bit with 4:4:4 as I read more about it here, and it's mostly in PC and video games:

SubsamplingVisual Impact
PC4:4:4Major
Movies4:2:0None
Video Games4:4:4Minor
Sports4:2:0None
TV Shows4:2:0None

And this is what they showed for comparison:

4:4:4

ju7100-text-chroma-4k-60hz-pc-mode-large.jpg

4:2:0

ju7100-text-chroma-4k-30hz-large.jpg

It actually effects PC usage quite noticeably.

But it's like producing JPG (8-bit) out of raw (12-bit), the JPG out of raw is massively superior than originally photographed photo at JPG, even if at the end both are shown in 8-bit.

Last edited:
Actually TV's do 12-bit with 4:4:4 as I read more about it here, and it's mostly in PC and video games:

SubsamplingVisual Impact
PC4:4:4Major
Movies4:2:0None
Video Games4:4:4Minor
Sports4:2:0None
TV Shows4:2:0None

And this is what they showed for comparison:

4:4:4

ju7100-text-chroma-4k-60hz-pc-mode-large.jpg

4:2:0

ju7100-text-chroma-4k-30hz-large.jpg

It actually effects PC usage quite noticeably.

But it's like producing JPG (8-bit) out of raw (12-bit), the JPG out of raw is massively superior than originally photographed photo at JPG, even if at the end both are shown in 8-bit.

Chroma subsampling has nothing to do with bit depth at all, it's lowering the resolution of the Cb and Cr signals (whilst leaving Y alone) to lower bandwidth in order to allow higher resolutions, refreshrates or bit depths than would otherwise be possible through the chosen cable. It's not something the display does, the source does it. It's also not applied to RGB sources, only YCbCr. Chroma subsampling does not cause banding since it's still 8 bit, the 4:2:2 numbers refer to the scale of the Y, Cb, and Cr channels respectively. In 4:4:4 all three channels have the same resolution. In 4:2:2 the Cb and Cr chroma channels have their horizontal resolution halved, which is why things start to look janky on text, especially colored text.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Chroma subsampling has nothing to do with bit depth at all, it's lowering the resolution of the Cb and Cr signals (whilst leaving Y alone) to lower bandwidth in order to allow higher resolutions, refreshrates or bit depths than would otherwise be possible through the chosen cable. It's not something the display does, the source does it. It's also not applied to RGB sources, only YCbCr. Chroma subsampling does not cause banding since it's still 8 bit, the 4:2:2 numbers refer to the scale of the Y, Cb, and Cr channels respectively. In 4:4:4 all three channels have the same resolution. In 4:2:2 the Cb and Cr chroma channels have their horizontal resolution halved, which is why things start to look janky on text, especially colored text.

Thanks for the details, much appreciated.

Jigga117

This should help everyone when it comes to understanding spec requirments for resolutions. Maybe the OP can put this in the first post.
VPQNnZ8.jpg

Top Bottom