• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thanks for the insight! Was always brought up as a big plus in it's reviews.

Even 4K monitors dream of that number by the way. But with 4K@120Hz or 4K with VRR you can go down as low as 5-7ms in the new HDMI 2.1 TV's. Realistically speaking, you don't need to worry about that 10-15ms is already amazing.

makaveli60

Dolby Vision is a much higher color gamut than HDR10, more like HDR10+. Would it be used in games or just for Blu-ray movies on XSX? Not sure. PS5 hasn't specified anything yet. Sony TV's support Dolby Vision and HDR10 but not HDR10+, so they either support HDR10 again for games or bother HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

It is very good for input lag, don't mix it with response time.

I really doubt it, you can wait for 2021 models if something will be shown, more than sure TV manufacturers heard the complains about the lack of smaller sizes HDMI 2.1.

I think that's input lag, response time is usually between 1-4ms as a standard or less. 11.6ms input lag for 4K@60Hz is extremely good, even for 4K monitors that struggle to hit that.

No worries, you're not missing much. But if someone didn't buy yet, seeking HDMI 2.1 is better for future proofing, but it's like 10% upgrade over 4K HDR @60Hz.
Ah, sure, I forgot about the 12-bit color. So it's more of a futureproof thing since as far as I know there is no 12-bit TV on the market yet. My XG90 is Dolby Vision compatible, but I think I won't see any benefits with games compared to HDR10, am I right?

devilNprada

Thinking
Even 4K monitors dream of that number by the way. But with 4K@120Hz or 4K with VRR you can go down as low as 5-7ms in the new HDMI 2.1 TV's. Realistically speaking, you don't need to worry about that 10-15ms is already amazing.

Really trying to talk Wifey into a Z8H 75" for Xmas to usher in next gen..
What's your take on that one?

LENCH187

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced monitor or TV I can use for my PS5 & PC? Doesnt need to be high spec, but something that can take advantage of the PS5 for the next few years.. dont need anything special for the PC, most I play is Apex Legends occasionally

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thinking

Really trying to talk Wifey into a Z8H 75" for Xmas to usher in next gen..
What's your take on that one?

It's good, but doesn't support VRR nor ALLM. Only XH90 (X900H) from Sony that has full bandwidth support for HDMI 2.1 that includes those 2 missing things. Would it matter? I don't think, really, all Sony TV's are made with PlayStation in mind. Never seen screen tearing in current gen when playing with open framerates, and that's without VRR, so maybe PlayStation does it internally like holding the frame instead of rushing a half frame out causing tearing effect.

I think it's an impressive tv, but I really can't give you 100% insight without it being tested with PS5. How about waiting for like early 2021 when you see the reviews and if it's performing great then you get it with even much better pricetag? Otherwise, I would suggest XH90.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced monitor I can use for my PS5 & PC? Doesnt need to be high spec, but something that can take advantage of the PS5 for the next few years.. dont need anything special for the PC, most I play is Apex Legends occasionally

Monitors that support HDMI 2.1 are usually expensive for their sizes. And some even use 8-bit panels. I think monitors are lagging behind currently and would rather suggest for 2021 as all will try to catch up with the new graphics cards and HDMI 2.1.

LENCH187

Monitors that support HDMI 2.1 are usually expensive for their sizes. And some even use 8-bit panels. I think monitors are lagging behind currently and would rather suggest for 2021 as all will try to catch up with the new graphics cards and HDMI 2.1.

thx bro, may look at a small TV.. got my girls a 24 inch 4k TV for their bedroom at Xmas last year.. may "borrow" it for the PS5

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ah, sure, I forgot about the 12-bit color. So it's more of a futureproof thing since as far as I know there is no 12-bit TV on the market yet. My XG90 is Dolby Vision compatible, but I think I won't see any benefits with games compared to HDR10, am I right?

No, you should see for movies at least. Not sure how computationally expensive is using Dolby Vision for gaming. You have much wider range of color gamut then compressed to 10-bit for current tv's, which is just like 16-bit photos compressed to 8-bit JPEG that look much more better than native 8-bit JPEG photos. But HDR10+ might get neglected.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
thx bro, may look at a small TV.. got my girls a 24 inch 4k TV for their bedroom at Xmas last year.. may "borrow" it for the PS5

If you're going for TV's, would suggest: LG CX, LG C9, and check if their LCD nano tv's support freesync/G-Sync as well. Sony XH90 supports basic VRR, which could be freesync as it's an open source version, same goes to Samsung Q90T.

devilNprada

I would suggest XH90.

Have one in the bedroom.. It's too small though...
This would replace an A9F '65 which would then move to the bedroom...

Boss just told me I have to quit spending money anyway... She has a nice way of of talking me out of some crazy ideas I get, and is usually right...
No more TV threads please... My latest and greatest TV fetish can't take it!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Have one in the bedroom.. It's too small though...
This would replace an A9F '65 which would then move to the bedroom...

Boss just told me I have to quit spending money anyway... She has a nice way of of talking me out of some crazy ideas I get, and is usually right...
No more TV threads please... My latest and greatest TV fetish can't take it!

Stop spoiling your money, you are 100% doing great! You're getting overhyped with this wait for the consoles to come. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: (y)

No, you should see for movies at least. Not sure how computationally expensive is using Dolby Vision for gaming. You have much wider range of color gamut then compressed to 10-bit for current tv's, which is just like 16-bit photos compressed to 8-bit JPEG that look much more better than native 8-bit JPEG photos. But HDR10+ might get neglected.

Dolby Vision for games is already supported by TV's with DV Low Latency mode which added 60hz output support, it just hasn't been utilized by consoles till now. DV runs in 10-bit as well at 12-bit, the benefits of 12-bit are barely noticeable as all TV panels are 10-bit so the data must be resolved to 10-bit.

Only PC users who can output a desktop in 12-bit might see a benefit with reduced banding on a 10-bit panel, there is a much bigger jump for PC users going from 8-bit to 10-bit than it is from 10-bit to 12-bit. Xbox SX (& maybe PS5 given shared hardware) is limited to maximum 10-bit output at 4K 120hz so your not really missing out.

HGIG solves most of the problems of HDR10 that Dolby Vision addresses though its nice to have both as options.

HDR10+ is dead in the water.

If you're going for TV's, would suggest: LG CX, LG C9, and check if their LCD nano tv's support freesync/G-Sync as well. Sony XH90 supports basic VRR, which could be freesync as it's an open source version, same goes to Samsung Q90T.

HDMI-VRR is a clone of AMD Freesync, which in turn is AMD's implementation of adaptive sync technology by Vesa the PC display standards group (makers of Displayport).

However it is not interoperable with AMD Freesync or Nvidia G-Sync, any HDMI-VRR display is limited to HDMI-VRR aware devices only. But once supported is is trivial to add Freesync or G-Sync compatible support but that depends upon the generosity of the TV maker.

Sony are limiting themselves to HDMI-VRR so I would never recommend their TV's to PC gamers but they are fine for consoles.

At this time only LG are the ones who support all 3 with G-Sync, Freesync and HDMI-VRR.

Samsung are Freesync & HDMI-VRR only.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dolby Vision for games is already supported by TV's with DV Low Latency mode which added 60hz output support, it just hasn't been utilized by consoles till now. DV runs in 10-bit as well at 12-bit, the benefits of 12-bit are barely noticeable as all TV panels are 10-bit so the data must be resolved to 10-bit.

Only PC users who can output a desktop in 12-bit might see a benefit with reduced banding on a 10-bit panel, there is a much bigger jump for PC users going from 8-bit to 10-bit than it is from 10-bit to 12-bit. Xbox SX (& maybe PS5 given shared hardware) is limited to maximum 10-bit output at 4K 120hz so your not really missing out.

HGIG solves most of the problems of HDR10 that Dolby Vision addresses though its nice to have both as options.

HDR10+ is dead in the water.

HDMI-VRR is a clone of AMD Freesync, which in turn is AMD's implementation of adaptive sync technology by Vesa the PC display standards group (makers of Displayport).

However it is not interoperable with AMD Freesync or Nvidia G-Sync, any HDMI-VRR display is limited to HDMI-VRR aware devices only. But once supported is is trivial to add Freesync or G-Sync compatible support but that depends upon the generosity of the TV maker.

Sony are limiting themselves to HDMI-VRR so I would never recommend their TV's to PC gamers but they are fine for consoles.

At this time only LG are the ones who support all 3 with G-Sync, Freesync and HDMI-VRR.

Samsung are Freesync & HDMI-VRR only.

So far, most monitors are 8-bit panels, and HDMI 2.1 on RTX 30 series is confirmed as 40Gbps instead of full 48Gbps. So 12-bit is out of the equation for both RTX 3000's and Xbox Series X. PS5 hasn't specified yet the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, but I guess they'll go for full 48Gbps to leverage The Tempest 3D Audio at least.

For PC's, LG TV's has them covered, but OLED's are worrisome especially for PC usage with plenty of static stuff. DP 2.0 is still in the making, and doubt either NVIDIA nor AMD would leverage that with their next cards.

It's a pretty hard choice, and differs from user to another. But for next gen consoles, it's better to go for Sony XH90, LG CX, LG C9. Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision, only HDR10 and HDR10+, and not sure if any of those consoles would support HDR10+ but both will support HDR10 at least.

Amazing post! Thanks a lot and stick around!

EDIT: Thanks to Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

So far, most monitors are 8-bit panels, and HDMI 2.1 on RTX 30 series is confirmed as 40Gbps instead of full 48Gbps. So 12-bit is out of the equation for both RTX 3000's and Xbox Series X. PS5 hasn't specified yet the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, but I guess they'll go for full 48Gbps to leverage The Tempest 3D Audio at least.
Where did you get that from? HDTVtest says it's 48 Gbps.

In a Reddit Q&A Nvidia said it was 48 Gbps

Last edited:

protonion

People with the x900h...

Do you have slightly dark corners on a white background?
I went to check it today to my local media markt and saw this.
I googled and found some discussions about this issue.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
People with the x900h...

Do you have slightly dark corners on a white background?
I went to check it today to my local media markt and saw this.
I googled and found some discussions about this issue.

I think it's due to having only 32-dimming zones, so they are too big to cover the whole screen properly around the edges. Known as vignette effect:

j4oz953xd0l51.jpg

5p9HSl3ejgFzn5g5Zl8w57NeXBdtZ7EG-ZFOL3jgc0I.jpg

Vignetting effect is know in cameras, happens with wide open f/stop and other setups.

Ashtyr

Neo Member
I think it's due to having only 32-dimming zones, so they are too big to cover the whole screen properly around the edges. Known as vignette effect:

j4oz953xd0l51.jpg

5p9HSl3ejgFzn5g5Zl8w57NeXBdtZ7EG-ZFOL3jgc0I.jpg

Vignetting effect is know in cameras, happens with wide open f/stop and other setups.

yes , you have a bit of vignetting in the corners, but it really is very little, otherwise it is a very good panel, with very little DSE that is much more annoying when it is suffered.

As you say, you only see it if you look for it and at very specific times.

Enjoy the TV, that panel is good,

Bo_Hazem

Banned
yes , you have a bit of vignetting in the corners, but it really is very little, otherwise it is a very good panel, with very little DSE that is much more annoying when it is suffered.

As you say, you only see it if you look for it and at very specific times.

Enjoy the TV, that panel is good,

Didn't buy one, but gonna buy one! Those are taken from google ;) But thanks! :messenger_bicep:

Seph-

Just putting it out there as an update for those interested. The HDMI 2.1 update for the X900h is apparently starting to roll out so I guess keep your eyes peeled (will note I haven't gotten said update yet, just taking word for the articles i'm seeing). Also sounds like VRR and ALL are coming in a separate update.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can I run a 21:9 aspect ratio on the LG CX 48? I’m an ultrawide gamer and want to upgrade my monitor but any upgrade to it just isn’t particularly as big a jump as the CX. The only reason to hesitate on the CX is my desire to keep it 21:9. I’m fine with black bars on the massive 48”.

Ulysses 31

Can I run a 21:9 aspect ratio on the LG CX 48? I’m an ultrawide gamer and want to upgrade my monitor but any upgrade to it just isn’t particularly as big a jump as the CX. The only reason to hesitate on the CX is my desire to keep it 21:9. I’m fine with black bars on the massive 48”.
I think you'll need to add a custom resolution in nvidia control panel first.

cormack12

Gold Member
Congrats, mate! Aiming for the same size as well! Gonna get it later though, maybe early 2021.

DisgustingAnguishedIbisbill-small.gif

Replacing my old LG 55ub850V so hoping to see a massive difference, only problem is the cable I need will probably be this one:

But VRR won't be needed for a few months, hopefully you'll get a discount in Jan!!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
DisgustingAnguishedIbisbill-small.gif

Replacing my old LG 55ub850V so hoping to see a massive difference, only problem is the cable I need will probably be this one:

But VRR won't be needed for a few months, hopefully you'll get a discount in Jan!!

You want it for PC? If not, the cable is included with the console. I've seen X800H that has no dimming zones, and it looked impressive. Didn't see X900H yet, but it's now available. It came too later here.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Would you guys rather the 55 inch C9 or the 65 inch x900H? Roughly the same price. Viewing distance of about 8 feet.

C9 has a better picture quality overall, while X900H has the edge in color accuracy and doesn't crush details. C9 has Freesync/G-Sync, X900H has basic VRR only (later). X900H has superior motion control for 24-30fps content. C9 has perfect blacks. C9 is burn-in prone, while X900H has LCD resilience.

There is no perfect one, and to me color accuracy matter a lot for photo/video editing to me. You can calibrate C9 as well by a pro. Also I use it for extremely long hours, so X900H fits me better.

Sony keeps supporting their tv's, my 2016 low budget 4K HDR XD70 is still getting updates, while last one being like 2 weeks ago. LG stops supporting the tv after 2 years (2021 for C9). I have a 2015 LG LCD 4K that still suffers from a problem with youtube that after an ad it can't resume, for example.

You need to choose according to your life style

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Would you guys rather the 55 inch C9 or the 65 inch x900H? Roughly the same price. Viewing distance of about 8 feet.
C9 has a better picture quality overall, while X900H has the edge in color accuracy and doesn't crush details. C9 has Freesync/G-Sync, X900H has basic VRR only (later). X900H has superior motion control for 24-30fps content. C9 has perfect blacks. C9 is burn-in prone, while X900H has LCD resilience.

There is no perfect one, and to me color accuracy matter a lot for photo/video editing to me. You can calibrate C9 as well by a pro. Also I use it for extremely long hours, so X900H fits me better.

Sony keeps supporting their tv's, my 2016 low budget 4K HDR XD70 is still getting updates, while last one being like 2 weeks ago. LG stops supporting the tv after 2 years (2021 for C9). I have a 2015 LG LCD 4K that still suffers from a problem with youtube that after an ad it can't resume, for example.

You need to choose according to your life style

To add more from Bo I have the 77" C9 and and 65" X900H and while watching movies and such the C9 is the way to go if you dont plan on leaving it on channels with static content for hours/days on end.

The X900H doesnt have those issues and while not as pretty as OLED its still a very nice TV for the price plus you never have to worry about any burn in issues.

My biggest complaint for the X900H is I wish it was slightly brighter but overall a great TV at the price point.

This is probably bad form making this my initial post on the forum (after lurkIng extensively for over a decade) but the impact of this purchase has had such an incredible impact on my gaming experience over the past week that I felt compelled to post it....even before I have properly introduced myself in the “new members” thread.

I had been thinking about a move to 4K for a while. My Samsung 8000 series LED 55-inch, circa 2012, was still performing fine but...it felt like it was TIME. I had arranged with my internet/TV to have my internet speeds jacked up their limits and got a 4K set-top box/PVR. All I needed to do was decided on a screen. Thanks in large part to what I have read in this very thread I was quite certain what I wanted...and can I just say the the tech knowledge of the folks on this forum is INCREDIBLE and I have learned alot over the years. With next gen upon us I viewed this as a very sensible decision. About a week ago I went online and saw that a store nearby had a few of these in stock so I drove my truck up and just walked in, made the purchase, rolled it out the front doors on a dolly, wrestled this beastly box into my truck bed and home I went.

50495748117_f042c0226d.jpg

I’m not sure I have been so blown away by a piece of tech as this in a long, long time. The experience I’ve had in the past week with current gen games has been so amazing that I can barely grasp what is coming with the new systems. Happy to be here on the forum now for the ride.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is probably bad form making this my initial post on the forum (after lurkIng extensively for over a decade) but the impact of this purchase has had such an incredible impact on my gaming experience over the past week that I felt compelled to post it....even before I have properly introduced myself in the “new members” thread.

I had been thinking about a move to 4K for a while. My Samsung 8000 series LED 55-inch, circa 2012, was still performing fine but...it felt like it was TIME. I had arranged with my internet/TV to have my internet speeds jacked up their limits and got a 4K set-top box/PVR. All I needed to do was decided on a screen. Thanks in large part to what I have read in this very thread I was quite certain what I wanted...and can I just say the the tech knowledge of the folks on this forum is INCREDIBLE and I have learned alot over the years. With next gen upon us I viewed this as a very sensible decision. About a week ago I went online and saw that a store nearby had a few of these in stock so I drove my truck up and just walked in, made the purchase, rolled it out the front doors on a dolly, wrestled this beastly box into my truck bed and home I went.

I’m not sure I have been so blown away by a piece of tech as this in a long, long time. The experience I’ve had in the past week with current gen games has been so amazing that I can barely grasp what is coming with the new systems. Happy to be here on the forum now for the ride.

I'm very happy and pleased to see you enjoying the purchase! And glad the all of us here helped you in your decisions!

Now, go up your Netflix to 4K, you won't regret it, and watch the PS5 games trailers! Also UE5. I suggest as well watching this video as it's not far away from the reality of next gen gaming:

As UE5 already uses 5.3x higher quality assets with ease. You've made a smart choice, enjoy it!

I'm very happy and pleased to see you enjoying the purchase! And glad the all of us here helped you in your decisions!

Now, go up your Netflix to 4K, you won't regret it, and watch the PS5 games trailers! Also UE5. I suggest as well watching this video as it's not far away from the reality of next gen gaming:

As UE5 already uses 5.3x higher quality assets with ease. You've made a smart choice, enjoy it!

Aw man, what a great response to my first post here...and from one of the more prominent contributors no less....even though I now realize that my post may have been better written in a more “General Gaming TV” thread....I swear I saw once of these before. I just went the lazy route and expressed my LG CX love in what appears to me a more “TV’s for PC Gaming” thread. My bad. I have dabbled with PC gaming in the past - most recently MAME arcade emulation - but I’m now at the point (I’m old) where I just prefer the easy, out of the box functionality of console gaming.

And thanks for the drool worthy video link. As for Netflix...yeah...I upgraded to the 4K version about an hour I left to go get my TV. Gotta say though....so far Disney+ with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision has probably impressed me most non-game wise.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Aw man, what a great response to my first post here...and from one of the more prominent contributors no less....even though I now realize that my post may have been better written in a more “General Gaming TV” thread....I swear I saw once of these before. I just went the lazy route and expressed my LG CX love in what appears to me a more “TV’s for PC Gaming” thread. My bad. I have dabbled with PC gaming in the past - most recently MAME arcade emulation - but I’m now at the point (I’m old) where I just prefer the easy, out of the box functionality of console gaming.

And thanks for the drool worthy video link. As for Netflix...yeah...I upgraded to the 4K version about an hour I left to go get my TV. Gotta say though....so far Disney+ with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision has probably impressed me most non-game wise.

Nothing is formal here, mate, I'm honored to be the first to reply to you. This video is just for observation, first time seen it my eyes nearly teared from the beauty and the wonderful feel of it. It should shine on your CX!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Been having a look the last few days, going with the XH90, especially since £300 has just been knocked off the RRP

Just put in mind that it doesn't support G-Sync and probably not even Freesync. But it has HDMI's VRR instead, more than enough for consoles, coming later in an update.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Welcome to the forums and fantastic choice for a TV. You simply can not go wrong with OLED.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
So I went to the store to buy either the cx or x900h and once I was there I didn't know what to do. Yes the c9 looked better, but did it look 1000 dollars better? No. But sure it looked better. Might do the x900h now and then in 3 years upgrade to the oled.

Last edited:
im hoping the usa gets release date soon on the hdm 2.1 for my x900 sole purpose i bought it was for ps5

in like 3 or 4 years ill be getting 8k when is more mainstream,

.... This video is just for observation, first time seen it my eyes nearly teared from the beauty and the wonderful feel of it. It should shine on your CX!

tumblr_m4u58qLNvu1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

That was indeed great. Of course I proceeded to watch a whole bunch of other HDR demos. YouTube has some great stuff in which to push our fancy TV’s to their limits.

Welcome to the forums and fantastic choice for a TV. You simply can not go wrong with OLED.

Thanks man. Very happy with the set it goes without saying. BTW, my wife and I are in the midst of a rewatch of Breaking Bad. Dang, but do those New Mexico landscapes look great in 4K. Not sure I need to see Walt’s shaved scalp in such detail though. 😳

Bo_Hazem

Banned
tumblr_m4u58qLNvu1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

That was indeed great. Of course I proceeded to watch a whole bunch of other HDR demos. YouTube has some great stuff in which to push our fancy TV’s to their limits.

Thanks man. Very happy with the set it goes without saying. BTW, my wife and I are in the midst of a rewatch of Breaking Bad. Dang, but do those New Mexico landscapes look great in 4K. Not sure I need to see Walt’s shaved scalp in such detail though. 😳

Breaking Bad IIRC is not just 4K, it's HDR ;) Enjoy!

Top Bottom