• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows, Games or Movies that actually induced tears?

dr_octagon

Banned
Ridley Scott owes me a refund for my ticket to Prometheus.

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN

Kev Kev

im a big baby so it doesnt take much for me lol. im not a blubbering fool but ill tear up at the drop of a hat, especially if i feel some connection to it. and as i get older and have more experiences i find more ways to connect myself to scenarios.

for example, wandavision was getting me going last night lol. just the idea of her hanging onto this idea of her perfect life with vision broke my heart and really got me.

before that stranger things season 4 with that scene with max running from vecna to the kate bush song. i think stranger things season 4 is full of all the high school archetyes, and max was (at least partially) the depressed teenager considering if she wanted to keep living or not. her seeing hope in her friends and literally fighting back to hold onto that got me good.

and then lightyear the other day (i told you im a big baby lol), the grand daughter saying she wanted to be just like buzz when she grows up and then that actually happens :messenger_loudly_crying: so good

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
I put on Scarface when a buddy came round with some weed. He'd never seen it which was real surprising cos it had been out for years by that time. He said he'd heard about it but had always avoided it because he thought it sounded terrible. Anyways, we're watching it and at one point I look over and see he's totally engrossed. Actually leaning forward in his seat. It gets to the big shoot out at the end and he's silent. Not a fuckin word. Then he turns round and he's crying. The tears are streaming down his face. I'm like what the fuck dude. He looks at me and goes, that was fuckin beautiful man.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The Ron Howard 80s movie Cocoon made me cry when I was about 10 years old. The movie is about a swimming pool infused with alien life-force energy. So the elderly residents in a retirement home nearby sneak over to the pool to become youthful again. But they overdo it, and the pool loses its powers. One of the main character's wife dies, and he takes her to the pool, but it doesn't work, and she stay ded :(

For some reason, this was the first time it really clicked that my grandparents and parents wouldn't be around forever, and I remember hiding was crying from my older brother so he wouldn't make fun of me

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I actually cried during the first Thor Movie credits but for reasons surrounding the movie, not the movie itself. (Fuck it still gets me)

The Color Purple
gets me every time.

Cried the first time I saw Braveheart

Lost my shit when watching The Patriot in college

Almost cried during the trailer for The Rise of Skywalker....that damn line "one last look, at my friends"

I'm sawft

mitch1971

I cried at the original King Kong, when he was getting shot down on the Empire state building when I was young.

Also a film I can't remember the name of. But there was a scene where a young lads horse got stuck on a boggy marsh and he was crying trying to get it out. I think he was mute all through the film, and he screamed the horses name at the end. Could be wrong, though.

The first time I cried of overjoyment was the scene in lord of the rings when the king was fighting on horse back and the elephants came running in and it was like a shaky cam following him through the elephants legs battling. I was just amazed at the specticle of it all.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I cried at the original King Kong, when he was getting shot down on the Empire state building when I was young.

Also a film I can't remember the name of. But there was a scene where a young lads horse got stuck on a boggy marsh and he was crying trying to get it out. I think he was mute all through the film, and he screamed the horses name at the end. Could be wrong, though.

The first time I cried of overjoyment was the scene in lord of the rings when the king was fighting on horse back and the elephants came running in and it was like a shaky cam following him through the elephants legs battling. I was just amazed at the specticle of it all.

The NeverEnding Story and it was heartbreaking and the moment I realized the 80's didnt give a fuck about kids or their feelings.

Fuck Me I died as a kid when I saw this

Doom85

Film:

Avengers: Endgame
Blade Runner 2049
Forrest Gump
Gladiator
Logan
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Pixar, plenty of them
War for the Planet of the Apes

TV:

Breaking Bad (can’t specify a specific moment, but Jesse’s life, man this guy needs all the hugs)
LOST (a good deal of the deaths)
The Sopranos (when Tony realizes Uncle Junior may indeed have dementia and asks him if he loves him)
True Detective Season 1 (Rust telling Marty about his dream in the very last scene)

Video game:

Death Stranding (the final 45 minutes, oof)
The Last of Us (the prologue)
Nier and Nier Automata (the final endings, also the cruel choice asked of the player at one point in Automata)
Persona 4 (the ending)
Walking Dead Season 1 (the ending)

Anime:

Angel Beats (the ending)
Code Geass (the ending)
Cowboy Bebop (final scene)
Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 (episodes 7 and 25)
Gundam 00 (Season 1 episode 23)
Kino’s Journey (final episode)
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Senpai (final episode)
A Silent Voice (quite a few moments)
Steins Gate (Okabe desperately trying to save a certain someone whose death seems inevitable roughly halfway through the show)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Some powerful movies I remember:

Pan's Labyrinth
The Notebook
From Here to Eternity
The Impossible

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
These movies always hit the feels:

This turtles scene brought me close to tears as a kid. To have a father unconditionally loving his sons no matter the distance, and their strong brotherhood was something really compelling to me and many others I suspect:

The nihilism and heroism and just Bernard Hill doing his thing against Howard Shores spectacular score:

And, damn straight:

And the scenes near the end of the Korean show Hell Bound, which surprised me by making me teary:

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

Sounds like The Neverending Story with the horse in the marsh

Edit: I was beaten and OP confirmed it wasn't that. Swing and a miss

Last edited:

Aesius

Tree of Life gets me. It perfectly captures the very essence of being a young boy growing up in America playing with your brothers and friends.

The end of Stand by Me, too. "Later on, I never had any friends like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?"

This hits hard because the dynamic of my group of friends changed dramatically around 13-14 years old, and I essentially lost my best friend at that age and we went separate ways.

Top Bottom