• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tunic - Reveal Trailer - PS5 & PS4

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

TUNIC is coming to PS5 and PS4 on September 27, 2022! Explore a land filled with lost legends, ancient powers, and ferocious monsters in TUNIC, an isometric action game about a small fox on a big adventure. Stranded in a ruined land, and armed with only your own curiosity, you will confront colossal beasts, collect strange and powerful items, and unravel long-lost secrets.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got bored with this pretty quickly but if solving stuff is your cup of tea you will probably like it.

jimmypython

Great game! Really gave me Dark Souls 1 feeling when I was playing it...but I was too burnt out on Souls game combat and couldn't finish it lol

I know. That's why I used that word. It seems to be only ever used when talking in the other direction.

I mean Playstation clearly does it more, and it's equally dumb/shitty/etc. when Xbox does it too. Nobody is cheering on Xbox moneyhats and hating on Playstation ones. They're just less vocal about it, similar to how Playstation fans don't make any noise when Playstation basically buys popular franchises permanently exclusive like Final Fantasy. All moneyhats are wastes of money on something that doesn't benefit anybody and only hurts the opposing fanbase. Unless your point is to defend the idea of moneyhatting I'm not sure who you're trying to get a response from.

Xenon

This is everything I didn't know I wanted in a game. Easily the best gaming experience I've had in years. Go in as blind as you can, don't look up hints and enjoy.

Last edited:
This is everything I didn't know I wanted in a game. Easily the best gaming experience I've had in years. Go in as blind as you can, don't look up hints and enjoy.

What is this game like the most?

Is it a Zelda type game with dungeons and puzzles? How long is it?

Swift_Star

Banned
I mean Playstation clearly does it more, and it's equally dumb/shitty/etc. when Xbox does it too. Nobody is cheering on Xbox moneyhats and hating on Playstation ones. They're just less vocal about it, similar to how Playstation fans don't make any noise when Playstation basically buys popular franchises permanently exclusive like Final Fantasy. All moneyhats are wastes of money on something that doesn't benefit anybody and only hurts the opposing fanbase. Unless your point is to defend the idea of moneyhatting I'm not sure who you're trying to get a response from.
Sure Jan GIF

It's amazing how this gif fits so much posts on this forum.

Xenon

What is this game like the most?

Is it a Zelda type game with dungeons and puzzles? How long is it?

Yes, but thats not what I love about it. The combat is good and satisfying. The graphics are extreme well done in an understated way. I'd say you could get to the end of it in 5-6 hours if you rush through and are skilled. As for finishing it, I guess that depends on how well your brain does with thinking out the on the box. I put 15 or so hours on my first run through and 6 or so on my second. There is still a lot of things to do.

I would compare the experience with Tunic to my first play though of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. I am not comparing the scale and depth of Tunic to those game, rather how they were so much more than the sum of their parts when you truly got them. It's just one of my favorite gaming experiences.

Last edited:
Delightful game, you PS guys are in for a treat. Go into it blind, and use the instruction manual, you'll know what I'm talking about when you play it.

dd492941

I love dark souls and the others especially bloodborne. My favorite game of all time is a link to the past. I hated this game. It felt like fez and zelda and dark souls had a bastard child and I hated it. Also I did not like fez because I didn't like the silent exploration. Also I felt the controls and difficulty didn't match. I just hated the 10 hours I put in and won't be going back unless someone can convince me this grows beyond something like deaths door which I enjoyed a lot more that had a similar aesthetic. I dunno. It just didn't click, like hyper light drifter didn't click and I loved the thought of that.

ungalo

Playing it right now. Either there's something i don't understand, or it's 10 times harder than Elden Ring, i don't get it.

Fbh

Playing it right now. Either there's something i don't understand, or it's 10 times harder than Elden Ring, i don't get it.

The beginning can be rather hard, but it gets easier as you start unlocking more upgrades and new gear

I really wanted to like this more than I did. Something about the challenge not matching up with the style for me. I found the difficulty and backtracking just annoying and tedious, not really rewarding.

There were some cool ideas, especially with the NES-style manual.

jaysius

Banned
The game had an incredible first half, but it really sunk it a little bit past mid game, and late game completely shit the bed.

It was a great concept amazing graphics, but it did the common indie shit the bed of trying to make the game into something it wasn't in the later half, they tried to make it harder with a bad difficulty spike and a really really bad mid-game gimping that required awful backtracking.

ungalo

The beginning can be rather hard, but it gets easier as you start unlocking more upgrades and new gear
Yeah no it was just me 2 hours into the game without spending a single item to upgrade the fox because i didn't read properly...i had a feeling something was wrong there.

Bridges

This is one of those games I will always wish I could experience for the first time again.

Happy for you Playstation folk who get to try this now.

Yes, the game is hard, but it is not unfair. If you find yourself struggling or lost, consult your manual, it will tell you everything you need to know as long as you are picking up the pages.

The thing that makes this game great is that you are always equipped with what you need to succeed, it is just a matter of the player understanding their surroundings. I urge anyone who gets frustrated near the beginning to stick with it for a bit, hopefully it will click with you as you find more pages.

If you stay disciplined and learn the realities of the world around you, you too can walk the golden path.

Exentryk

This is currently my GOTY. Amazing game and I recommend going in blind.

The game is a metroidvania with some neat puzzles and secrets. Don't worry about any difficulty comments as the game has inbuilt invincibility option if you need it.

Tangerine

I 100%ed it including achievements on Gamepass. I preferred death's door, but still loved my time with Tunic. The manual you collect pages for and puzzles within, are really unique and challenging imo. It's tough, pretty and for the most part well thought out. Recommended.

You'll likely need a guide at some points because the puzzles really can be a bit obtuse or just plain difficult. Maybe it was just me! I also had to play through it twice to get achievements I missed. I THINK it's possible to get it all in one play through with preplanning.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Downloading the PS5 version and look forward to digging in after work. Heard nothing but great things, it's been a solid year for indie releases with the likes of Inscryption, Cult of the Lamb and Salt & Sacrifice being amongst my fave games of 2022, hoping this will deliver the goods too.

Top Bottom