• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TUNIC |OT| Fox News

YrXyksO.png

• Platforms: Steam, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, Xbox Game Pass
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Price: 29.99 USD, 27.99 EUR, 24.99 GBP
  • Developer: Isometricorp Games
  • Publisher: Finji
  • File Size: 3.8GB
VB7pyNz.png

shbvDvb.png

lbaQzth.png

O1lkkiV.png

frhLwCc.png

VvB5OnB.png

PxtD571.jpg

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nice OT. Said in the other thread, I'm let down by the combat but everything else so far is superb, I'm up to what feels like the 2nd main boss.

They absolutely nailed the in-game manual, it's fantastic. Limited Run Games needs to do a physical copy with that manual included.

Wunray

Tried it, only thing I didn't like was the combat. After finishing elden Ring I'm not ready to jump into another souls like so I got a refund. It's a charming game, the combat needs work though.

ZywyPL

Banned
Nice OT. Said in the other thread, I'm let down by the combat but everything else so far is superb, I'm up to what feels like the 2nd main boss.

They absolutely nailed the in-game manual, it's fantastic. Limited Run Games needs to do a physical copy with that manual included.

For real, the in-game manual made me feel like a kid in the 90s again. Wish it was in actual english instead of that made-up pseudo-Japanese tho, it's much faster to figure out the game all by yourself than doing all the detective work to try to understand what the hell the manual is trying to tell you.

Reactions: AV

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That fox awfully looks like someone who has been in coma for a long time. Wonder who that person is.

Can't remember the exact wording but the manual pokes fun at this. Something like "The hero is endlessly reborn!"

I have an exceptionally weird relationship with this game. I'm not sure I like it, but I can't stop playing it. There's just always one more place to check out or one more thing to do.

I really can't think of another experience quite like Tunic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OH shit my bad I didn't even know there was an OT.

Will move discussion from review topic to here.

Playing this now, got the map, heading to the west tower going by what the map says.

Art style is so cute i want to pinch it, game play has been simplstic bug engaging so far. No real complaints other than that the game should really have had the control layout in the main menu :p

OH shit my bad I didn't even know there was an OT.

Will move discussion from review topic to here.

Playing this now, got the map, heading to the west tower going by what the map says.

Art style is so cute i want to pinch it, game play has been simplstic bug engaging so far. No real complaints other than that the game should really have had the control layout in the main menu :p

Was on my way to the West Tower then got sidetracked with the Dark Chamber. Honestly don't know if something comes along later to make it any easier, but I'm determined to die my way through it 😂

adamsapple

The game is made by 1 guy 1 let that sink in it blows most AAA game with muti million budget away
it my Indie GOTY so far getting Hades vibes it that good.

I have no qualms buying this before it leaves Game Pass, I'm enjoying this game and will want to continue supporting the dev.

Complistic

I am really enjoying this game. Like way more than I was expecting. I hope it's not to long because I can see it getting a little repetative, but I'm going to probably play all of this.

My only complaint is a lack of a map. I know you can use the booklet pages, but it is sorta clunky having to go back and forth that way. Otherwise it is very good with combat getting better as you level up.

Someone was asking earlier about the cards. And it seems to be a buff. I have the sword and angel anklet enabled and it seems that I move slightly faster. Could be a placebo effect though.

Just finished it. Biggest disappointment for me in a while. I really expected to like this game, but everything about it was just tedious - frustratingly poor combat and just complete randomness about stumbling on the next place to go.

Having to find all those hero graves at the end when I was ready to be done with the game was the worst - especially since it wasn't even clear that that is what needed to be done to progress the "story".

I clearly got the bad ending, judging by how it ended, and the fact I never opened the mountain door, but I think I'm ready to move on.

Plantoid

Played about 1 hour, fun game, will be playing through it for sure, but overshadowed by Elden ring, the replayability is so good it's impossible to play anything else right now, I'm glad stalker got delayed

Drunkdadbr

Banned
2 triforce pieces collected. Mines uping the challenge by some degrees.
Map is considerably bigger than that screenshot

adamsapple

So uh .. what does the gold coin do ? I just got one and using it just has a small coin flip animation.

Feel free to spoiler tag !

jaysius

Banned
The mid-late game is one of the worse difficulty spikes by a clueless indie dev I’ve probably ever seen, along with the horrendous backtrack quest that follows.

I was fully in love with the first big chunk of this game, but now after all these hours… fuck this game hard.

If you didn’t love this, play Death’s Door, it’s a much more coherent version of what the dev tried to do, at least it doesn’t fuck you so hard in the mid-late game section.

jaysius

Banned
So uh .. what does the gold coin do ? I just got one and using it just has a small coin flip animation.

Feel free to spoiler tag !
You throw 3 at a time in a well to make a new slot for those semi-worthless ability card thing, those ability cards have too many drawbacks for the most part.

You throw 3 at a time in a well to make a new slot for those semi-worthless ability card thing, those ability cards have too many drawbacks for the most part.
There are some ability cards with zero drawbacks. The Luck card gives a 15% chance of dropping health and the swift angelic card gives you a slight speed increase. Not great, but they don't come with any penalties. Also, the card that refreshes mp instead of hp could be useful for those that like to spam stuff at range....safer so you'd likely not need the health potion.

adamsapple

There are some ability cards with zero drawbacks. The Luck card gives a 15% chance of dropping health and the swift angelic card gives you a slight speed increase. Not great, but they don't come with any penalties. Also, the card that refreshes mp instead of hp could be useful for those that like to spam stuff at range....safer so you'd likely not need the health potion.

Thanks.

RE: Cards

I have a few but I have no idea what their drawbacks or pros are, haven't found the relevant logbook page yet I guess.

Okay I'm going crazy. For someone who has completed the game or is close to, can you tell me how to get to the Cathedral? I realize it's in the swamp but the swamp is blocked. Apparently the time of day can change but it's never changed for me. So, if I need it to be nighttime before continuing I don't know what to do. What's really sad is I've looked online for the solution and no site has it haha. Apparently all these online guides have somehow beaten the game, yet there is no clear explanation on how to get to the point I'm at.

EDIT: Pffft that was dumb. Somehow missed an obvious location entrance and had not been back the entire time. Solved my problem.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Did you try the accessibility options? There's a No Fail Mode in there that apparently just means you straight up take no damage any more.

I die a lot, but I wouldn't say it's Souls hard (or even Elden Ring hard) despite that.
I've forgot about that... thankyou
I die in the beggining with that creatures that shot at you 😅 i'm not skilled in this kind of games .. like death's door

AV

Just finished it, thoughts haven't really changed since the first few hours - a great game with awesome ideas almost ruined by shoddy combat. Apparently took me just shy of 10 hours which included a little roaming around the world for power ups.

Positives: I absolutely adore the puzzle element of the game, going around filling in the game manual and using that to piece together where to go and what to do next. Never had to look anything up, few times I had to really stop and think and then felt like an idiot when I realised what I was missing. Plenty of secrets to find, based on one of the manual pages there's going to be some bonkers super secret ending for solving some giant puzzle. Didn't mind the backtrack segment but I can see why some might hate it. Music was great even if it didn't fit, I like the design and again, that manual is A+.

But for me, when you make a game cantered around tough combat, it better be good, and it just isn't. Floaty, unresponsive, horrible delays on actions, a dodge that doesn't feel right, no directional blocking that I could tell, which sucked in certain areas. Made in Unity I'm guessing because it has the problem I've seen elsewhere where enemies will just float off and away to unreachable areas. But the absolute worst moment came on the last boss, when I was on a good attempt and the combat sounds completely desynced from the animations and totally threw me off. Called it a day there and slapped invincibility on just to see credits, I haven't got time for that.

I honestly recommend just sticking invincibility on from the start and playing it as a puzzle/exploration game, because that's where it shines. After playing Death's Door a few months ago and just finishing Elden Ring this felt really bad to play at times, which is an enormous shame because I've been looking forward to it for something like 7 years. It's incredibly impressive that (basically) one guy made it but at the same time, you do see the cracks around the edges as a by-product of that. 7/10 for me, still a good game overall, just a real disappointment at the same time.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Just finished it, thoughts haven't really changed since the first few hours - a great game with awesome ideas almost ruined by shoddy combat. Apparently took me just shy of 10 hours which included a little roaming around the world for power ups.

Positives: I absolutely adore the puzzle element of the game, going around filling in the game manual and using that to piece together where to go and what to do next. Never had to look anything up, few times I had to really stop and think and then felt like an idiot when I realised what I was missing. Plenty of secrets to find, based on one of the manual pages there's going to be some bonkers super secret ending for solving some giant puzzle. Didn't mind the backtrack segment but I can see why some might hate it. Music was great even if it didn't fit, I like the design and again, that manual is A+.

But for me, when you make a game cantered around tough combat, it better be good, and it just isn't. Floaty, unresponsive, horrible delays on actions, a dodge that doesn't feel right, no directional blocking that I could tell, which sucked in certain areas. Made in Unity I'm guessing because it has the problem I've seen elsewhere where enemies will just float off and away to unreachable areas. But the absolute worst moment came on the last boss, when I was on a good attempt and the combat sounds completely desynced from the animations and totally threw me off. Called it a day there and slapped invincibility on just to see credits, I haven't got time for that.

I honestly recommend just sticking invincibility on from the start and playing it as a puzzle/exploration game, because that's where it shines. After playing Death's Door a few months ago and just finishing Elden Ring this felt really bad to play at times, which is an enormous shame because I've been looking forward to it for something like 7 years. It's incredibly impressive that (basically) one guy made it but at the same time, you do see the cracks around the edges as a by-product of that. 7/10 for me, still a good game overall, just a real disappointment at the same time.

How long would you say it took you to beat the game ?

AV

How long would you say it took you to beat the game ?

Just short of 10 hours according to the Game Pass app. That's mostly knowing what to do without hesitation, some exploration, several bosses with multiple attempts needed. Feels like you could double that if you were aiming to find all the secrets.

I think mileage will vary greatly from person to person because of both the combat and figuring things out.

This is the thing I dislike most about this game. I don't like stumbling around trying to make sense of it.

I would recommend Death's Door if you've not played it for a similar game with better combat and almost no figuring things out. Personally if I could take the Death's Door combat and polish and slap it on Tunic it might be a 10, but the world ain't perfect.

T-Cake

I haven't got the patience for it. Even with failsafe mode for health and stamina, I am just going round in circles trying to find somewhere new to go. I don't understand why there are trillions of tuning forks everywhere.

ultrazilla

Tunic. Wow, where to begin? My quick thoughts on what will be an easy game of the year contender for me. :messenger_fire:

The musical score by Lifeformed × Janice Kwan / TUNIC (Original Soundtrack) is Heavenly! Sometimes I'll just stop looking around and just chill listening to the music.

Really fantastic game. It certainly doesn't hold your hand and takes the approach that you've played games like Zelda so why bother
with all the explanations and tutorials? It starts you right off into your adventure and *you* figure things out for yourself(for the most part).

You do find pieces of the torn up(!?) game manual in the game world as a sort of treasure you slowly piece back together that shows you
parts of the map, enemies, potions, etc. It's a really cool feature the way it's implemented into the game.

The graphics are bright and colorful with a 3 quarters view and a "tilt shift" style that is charming.

The play controls are tight and responsive. The combat can be a bit tough in areas but in the age of Dark Souls, this shouldn't be a problem for most gamers.

With the avalanche of games that have come out recently, Tunic would be easy to miss. But don't do it. Seek it out. It's a love letter to video game fans from a solo developer
and the $29.99 retail price is more than fair for the sheer brilliance you'll be playing, witnessing and hearing.

Truly the game is something special. :messenger_heart:

10/10

tunice3_06.jpg

2025-tunic-screenshot-1-1528788090.jpg

TUNIC_Xboxscreenshot_2_1920x1080.png

tunice3_03.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom