• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tunic dev: Xbox Game Pass is "an incredible deal"

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Guys would someone tell me whats funny about my post above?. Ezekiel seems to be laughing and i'm a little puzzled as to what i said funny

AgreeableGreedyCassowary-size_restricted.gif
You posted a remotely positive remark in a thread about Xbox. Go look at the first page in any thread about Xbox and you'll see a pattern.

Gone

Banned
It's definitely a good deal for low budget indies. What I'm worried about is the future of high budget single player games, can those be sustained in this model? There's a reason Sony aren't putting theirs on PS++ day 1.
That reason being?

Jaybe

It’s got to be amazing as an indie developer to have your creation enjoyed by a massive audience. Also, I hadn’t realized he was Canadian. Nice job 🇨🇦.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That reason being?

That they can't make their investments back that way for big budget titles. They need those first few months of $70 sales.

Yes, I know MS puts even their big budget games on GP day 1, but if you think those aren't loss leaders you are naive. Sony doesn't have the endless pockets to sustain something like that.

Lognor

Banned
to be fair, i dont think this is going to sell alot anyway
Well hopefully ps only gamers buy it when it releases this month! It's a great game. I played it on game pass. Ps gamers need to do their part and buy it!

sachos

Do devs get extra money if the game does really well on Gamepass? Like "If your game gets downloaded 1kk times you get extra 100k usd" or maybe extra money by total time played?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That they can't make their investments back that way for big budget titles. They need those first few months of $70 sales.

Yes, I know MS puts even their big budget games on GP day 1, but if you think those aren't loss leaders you are naive. Sony doesn't have the endless pockets to sustain something like that.
I'm really interested to see how sonys 70 dollar games are doing this gen.... I don't think its paying off for them. I feel sales have been slow and Sony aren't really updating numbers so we don't have an idea.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Do devs get extra money if the game does really well on Gamepass? Like "If your game gets downloaded 1kk times you get extra 100k usd" or maybe extra money by total time played?
I think we did get confirmation that some contracts with devs are structured like that. Others are a lump sum payment.

I think this is common sense if you really think about it. If you're a small indie dev and your game is good, Gamepass is perfect for you. If you're a big dev and your game is good, it's not as clear cut. If your game is bad, regardless of indie or not, Gamepass likely won't work for you (and chances are Microsoft won't accept your game anyway).
You would think both Asobo and Focus know what return they need for A Plagues Tale 2 for it to be a success. They have put it on GP and you would assume that they are happy with the deal.
Obviously MBL was happy with The Show in its first year as they came back for seconds.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Well hopefully ps only gamers buy it when it releases this month! It's a great game. I played it on game pass. Ps gamers need to do their part and buy it!
sadly, im not going to buy it, doesnt look very interesting for me lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why sadly?

If it's not interesting, then don't buy it.

It's not like a puppy will be sacrificed if you don't buy a copy.

But it is a very good game tho, I enjoyed my time with it a lot. Good sense of puzzle and discovery.

Gone

Banned

They can and it's pretty sustainable, they just not to do it and from a business perspective, I don't blame them but framing it as "they won't get their investment back" and with a lot of profit on top of that is a silly argument that only Sony fanboys believe it.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's definitely a good deal for low budget indies. What I'm worried about is the future of high budget single player games, can those be sustained in this model? There's a reason Sony aren't putting theirs on PS++ day 1.
And the reason is Sony know they'll buy it anyway.

Just like they raised the price on their games and console - people buy it anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

Microsoft just decided that if you are new on xbox or just don't buy that many games, you can play every first party games and a crap ton of third parties on a rent service.

I don't care about what Microsoft earns, I'm only interested in how much I get for my money and if its worth the price.

Roberts

Great game (but tiny tiny bit inferior to Death's Door) and still has a room in my top5 of the year. I actually bought it after completing it on GP and I'm happy the developers are happy.

Top Bottom