• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TSMC Cuts Down Orders By Up to 50%

No they didn't, they didn't mention consoles they didn't mention console prices at all, he said they would raise prices on "some things" which tells us nothing because Phil is vague.
You know Phil he always talks in riddels and vague. So next time he talks he could switch his first comment on the fly...

Neither ASML nor Zeiss (and I guess other parts of the supply chain) are Chinese. While we moved a lot of manufacturing and even some higher tech to China, this area is still pretty western, just not most of the fabs of TSMC. Which could be lost and are hardly replaceable short term in that scenario.
I think That CJ ment that imagion that China would take Taiwan and made it a part of China, then China would have controll over the biggest chip producer in the world.
Thats indeed scary

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Moments after powering it up.
Burning House Burn GIF by Halloween

Meanwhile, inside:
"They fight to see who will use it first"
cBkIzw1.gif

PC cables in the background.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I hope I make it out of this Recession alive.

Please don't enter depression. Fed is raising the interest rate again today as well.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
MS literally gave an interview two days ago saying they will. They knew about this news before we did. So did Sony. They chose to raise prices anyway and we had several posters here claiming its because the chip manufacturing costs have gone UP. Clearly not the case. If anything, both console makers should be able to renegotiate any bad deals they had signed during the pandemic. They finally have leverage over chip manufacturers.
There were no specifics given. Any definitive statements derived from said interview are conjecture. It could be price increases on first party games, gamepass ultimate subscription, pc gamepass, consoles, etc... It could also be a higher prices on new models of console sku's. $350 Series S with a 1tb ssd.

gundalf

This whole chip shortage bit blows my mind. Toyota is removing chips from keys to reduce their relianceon chips and now we read this. Literally none of this adds up

TSMC isn't in the business of bread and butter chips though and if you like it or not, we won't be going back to expensive analogue electronics, all those little 8-bit and 32-bit ARM chips are here to stay.

Back to the ole artificial shortage I see, simply don't manufacture any and you can keep prices on the moon. 4090's sold out before the product pages could update, with even the silly $2000 models selling out within a minute. And every single restock since is gone before inventory trackers can even see them. Certainly lines up with there being a surplus of chips /s.
There's only so many idiots they can sell to until they are forced to drop the prices like a rock. Anyone buying the 4090 (only for gaming) before waiting to see RDNA3 is an absolute idiot :messenger_confused:

Chastten

Banned
Can't blame them. The past few years have shown that there's a lot of people who don't mind spending insane amounts of money on shit.

€2000 for a graphics card, €800-900 for a scalped PS5, €1000+ for phones... This new reality sucks if you're a sane person who liked the reasonable prices of yesteryear, but whatever... Good thing is they're all luxury products and there's cheaper alternatives available.

PeteBull

This whole chip shortage bit blows my mind. Toyota is removing chips from keys to reduce their relianceon chips and now we read this. Literally none of this adds up
There was no chip shortage, just crypto mining boom, the current pairing back orders is simply coz of that- all crypto minning fuckers stopped buying gpu's and instead they are selling their used gpus which competes vs new products- only positive of that war/high elecyticity/energy prices is finally crypto died down and wont be reborn for a while.

Top Bottom