• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to play old Ratchet & Clank games really does show you how poor PS Now & BC on Playstation can be...

Kokoloko85

Ive been playing Sly Cooper with no issues.
Feels great.

Wish I could own and download these games though

Last edited:

ksdixon

EDMIX EDMIX

I'm slightly confused. Are you misunderstanding my point, or purposely debating in bad faith? Genuinely hard to tell.

- I never said I wanted "Remasters for free", I simply stated that Sony's route of selling remasters could be looked at unfavorably when compared to simillar cases on XB's 'enhanced for Series X', where games are given fps/resolution boosts "for free" when the games are throw-up onto GP, in the sense that it's the same SKU of a game vs buying a remaster. Nor did I say Sony 'never' do updates for free? TLOU1 got a patch right before the PS5 which cut the loading times down, for example. By for the most part they do seem to want you to buy the remaster, and have it look more attractive than it would otherwise by throwing those things-in. And as I later said, I don't have a problem with Remasters themselves, only where it encroaches upon BC. The comment about people feeling mislead, lied-to or being fleeced for cash was more about Jim Ryan's comments and Sony's policies in general. Whilst there's certainly uproar about the new 70 price point for Sony games, I said that I myself don't mind £70 day 1 games as there's a sense of quality to Sony games. And I never asked for 'free shit', I even said that I wouldn't want Sony to throw their exclusive games onto a beefed-up PSNow/PS+ rebranded GamePass equivelant on Day 1.

- Let me slightly revise my statement: "My whole entire bone of contention comes from I believe Sony pursue Remasters at the direct expense of <FURTHER> pursuing Backwards Compatability."
Here's where I think you're arguing in bad faith. Yes PS5 has Remasters, so what? I've already stated I have no issues with Remasters as a thing, only where it concerns BC. I'm not saying Sony should do BC instead of Remasters, or anything like that, I even said at one point they should offer BC, Ports & Remasters, to cover all bases. Only the first run of PS3's were hardware BC, and that was only in USA if I recall correctly. So that's why PS3 had Remaster Collections for different PS2 Series, because not all PS3's had BC capabilities. Later you list examples like MCC and GEARS Remasters, without the context that MMC was an early XB1 title, and it likely released earlier than XB even started their BC push with GP, because that was a later addition. You say I'm arguing for BC and there's little evidence of a conspiracy, and then randomly ask who's forcing anyone to port games. Again you talk about EA doing a Mass Effect Collection in the same generation, for some reason, I don't even know what your point was. But... ME1 didn't originally release on PS3 in 2007. I don't think it did until 2012's ME Trilogy. And yeah, ME Legendary Edition released on XB1 when XB1 was largely BC with X360, but PS4 wasn't BC with PS3, so that's why, as well as general cash-grabbery by EA. I never said there was a conspiricy to pay people off to make Remasters. Whatever you think I've said, I didn't.

- You say the majority don't give a shit about the BC features that exist for PS4 but aren't unlocked for general public. Sure buddy. That's why PS4 homebrew scene exists. That's why people have disliked Sony removing BC since the first wave of PS3. That's why XB is doing well based largely on BC and GP (which itself is propped-up by a lot of BC games) inspite of it's lacking next-gen blockbuster releases lineup. To say no one gives a shit about BC is completely tone-deaf. You randomly make a point of saying that those who care about old games will have the old machines. And? I only have so many HDMI slots in my TV, and so much space under my TV. And that's deliberately being obtuse. When the hell, in the modern context of discussing BC, does anyone mean 'purchasing old hardware'? We're talking about making old gen games available on current gen hardware, through re-sale or streaming, so that we DON'T have to go dig-out the old consoles with their slow connections, and sometimes old connectors that won't even work on a HDMI input. If I wantedc to go play RE2 PS1 I could do so on my PS1 or PS2, and have it look like absolute arse on my HDTV over composite or component or scart. That's absolutely not what I'm talking about with BC - that's not even BC in any sense - and I think you know that. The last point about PS4 and Switch being the fastest selling systems for Sony and Nintendo once again has zero to do with the conversation at hand. PS4 switched to the easier x86 arcitechture and got lots of 3rd party support and XB stumbled at the beginning of that gen, and Switch is a portable/console gimmick that was exciting to people. Sure, Sony don't 'need' to do BC, they're the market leader, and whatever misteps they make now won't be evident for a while, for they can ride the PS4 momentum for ages. But it can be argued that they could and should. Or is Jim Ryan having to specifically come out and say 'I want gamers to know I don't hate old games' not an admission of the black eye Ryan has given Sony? There must have been a lot of uproar to specificially have to address that. So I'd wager the data suggests that people DO care about BC. You only need to look over at XB to see that much for yourself. Or the fact that people still bemoan PS3's removal of it. Or rumors of a PStore/PSNow 2.0 revamp, hopefully with more BC titles. Weather that's true or not remains to be seen. But then again, XB had a dedicated team bringing old games to modern consoles with upgrades to fr/resolution boot. You doing a blanket dismissal means nothing, as since the first wave of PS3, Sony haven't even really tried BC seriously other than some faint lip service with PS2 Classics on the PStore.

Top Bottom