• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trusted Reviews: Xbox Series X is the Best console of 2021

i deserve this megan rapinoe GIF by Sports GIFs

The bottom paddles kill my desire to use the Elite controller.

I find the Turtle Beach Recon better with it's headset amplifier and buttons instead of paddles.
What’s wrong with the bottom paddles on the elite, they work flawlessly with their placement as opposed to the typical scuff paddles before the. Newest revision.

FrankWza

Deflect all you want. Doesn't change a thing.
It’s all good. That’s why I asked. It’s one thing for a feature to be supported and another for it to be developed as an atmos track. I was curious which games actually had atmos developed tracks and which are “supported “
I saw you tried explaining the USB audio limitations and all you heard back was atmos. :)
So even if you go ahead and purchase the atmos headphone license on series, you’re still limited to what headphones or headsets you can use because of the xbox licensing on headsets over usb and because using headphones on series is limited to plugging into your controller. The only other way to use better equipment or to have the freedom to use headphones and mics of your choosing requires you to lose HDMI 2.1 capabilities. I don’t see how that’s a positive and I’m sure most people don’t have a dedicated and proper external atmos setup. Everyone has the space and budget to buy some pretty damn good headphones. Every dualsense has a mic and mute button. Edit(allows you to have a mic and mute button available for any headphones regardless of how they are connected to PS5)
Im say all this as someone who definitely would want PS to patch in Atmos for games because more options are always welcome. But the way things stand now, having atmos support on x doesn’t make enough of a difference to make it a better console for overall audio. Especially since games are being developed with tempest audio on PS side.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Quick resume is the best next gen feature out there tbh ,going into Forza horizon 4 in 3 seconds to where I left of is magical , the Xbox one version used to take like 3 minutes to get in to the game
U really have to use quick resume to appreciate how game changing it is
Yeah, I agree completely! Quick resume is amazing. I am really hoping that Nintendo is able to implement something like it in the next Switch. It's such a pain trying to play multiple games, especially for those games I only want to play in short bursts, such as Animal Crossing.

I still cannot figure out why people get so excited about quick resume. How many times per day are you switching games to the point where it matters? I think I've used it about 3 times total in the whole time I've been using the console.
I use it all the time, it basically gets rid of the loading screens at the beginning and i can start exactly where i left off. I swap between games a decent amount so it’s worth it for me.

I use it all the time, it basically gets rid of the loading screens at the beginning and i can start exactly where i left off. I swap between games a decent amount so it’s worth it for me.
Load times now aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. Idk I just find it to be a "neat" feature that gets talked about like some massive game-changer. PS5 has a somewhat worse version called Switcher, but I've never heard anyone talking about how big of an improvement it is over PS4. I think the fact that one time when I used quick resume, it disabled achievements on the game I was playing. I had to turn the game off and on anyway to reactivate achievements. Guess I'm reticent to use it after that. Switcher made me lose a seven hour video project too, so I don't use either of them anymore.

Ozriel

M$FT
Load times now aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. Idk I just find it to be a "neat" feature that gets talked about like some massive game-changer. PS5 has a somewhat worse version called Switcher, but I've never heard anyone talking about how big of an improvement it is over PS4. I think the fact that one time when I used quick resume, it disabled achievements on the game I was playing. I had to turn the game off and on anyway to reactivate achievements. Guess I'm reticent to use it after that. Switcher made me lose a seven hour video project too, so I don't use either of them anymore.

Quick resume is so much more than just ‘fast loading’. It puts you back in your game exactly where you left off. Loads don’t do that.
Please don’t ever compare switcher to Quick Resume. You’re talking about a feature that’d allow you unplug your console, go somewhere else and when you turn it on (even months later) you pick multiple games exactly where you were.

Quick resume is so much more than just ‘fast loading’. It puts you back in your game exactly where you left off. Loads don’t do that.
Please don’t ever compare switcher to Quick Resume. You’re talking about a feature that’d allow you unplug your console, go somewhere else and when you turn it on (even months later) you pick multiple games exactly where you were.
I said Switcher was worse, no need to jump down my throat about it.
I'm just saying that I don't see Quick Resume to be as amazing as you're making it out to be. 99% of the time, I'm playing a game, not booting up a new game on my Xbox. It's just such an odd thing to be excited about. Don't you ever get up and move around when you're playing? Load up a new game then, and you're done already. I mean I know what QS does, you don't need to explain it. It's just not that exciting of a feature in the big scheme of things. You're saving like 30 seconds in between games. I mean, that's a nice feature, but let's keep it in perspective.

Ozriel

M$FT
I said Switcher was worse, no need to jump down my throat about it.
I'm just saying that I don't see Quick Resume to be as amazing as you're making it out to be. 99% of the time, I'm playing a game, not booting up a new game on my Xbox. It's just such an odd thing to be excited about. Don't you ever get up and move around when you're playing? Load up a new game then, and you're done already. I mean I know what QS does, you don't need to explain it. It's just not that exciting of a feature in the big scheme of things. You're saving like 30 seconds in between games. I mean, that's a nice feature, but let's keep it in perspective.

again, you’ve really just shown how little
You know about Quick Resume.
You keep trying to pitch it as some sort of save, when in reality it’s pretty much like a save state for multiple games. Saves you a whole lot more than 30 seconds.

FrankWza

You keep trying to pitch it as some sort of save, when in reality it’s pretty much like a save state for multiple games. Saves you a whole lot more than 30 seconds.
So I can use this for any game?

Kacho

Yeah a save state describes it perfectly. I unplugged my system and moved it to another room. Once I booted up the game I was playing resumed right where I left off. Pretty dang awesome feature.

Lol how do you figure? It is doing nothing more than bookmarking your session, and all you're saving is the time it takes to load past the title screens in a game, which on new systems, takes very little time, hence you're only saving about 30 seconds per switch. I've used it before, I know EXACTLY what it does, and you're really overexaggerating its usefulness. Again, it's a neat feature, but you're acting like it changes the way you play games, which it doesn't.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Lol how do you figure? It is doing nothing more than bookmarking your session, and all you're saving is the time it takes to load past the title screens in a game, which on new systems, takes very little time, hence you're only saving about 30 seconds per switch. I've used it before, I know EXACTLY what it does, and you're really overexaggerating its usefulness. Again, it's a neat feature, but you're acting like it changes the way you play games, which it doesn't.

again, this is an ignorant take.
Do you even know what a Save state is?

Say you’re going to fight a boss. in a regular game, your save would be before fighting the boss, and you’d probably have to watch the cutscene and start the fight afresh.
with Quick resume, you can be in the middle of the boss battle and leave to play another game. When you get back, you’re resuming from the exact same point you were fighting the boss, doing the exact same action.
quick resuming into a 10 minute boss battle can save you a whole lot more than ‘30 seconds’. Also works wonders when game saves are few and far between.

In a racing game, Quick resume will put you back in the race at the moment you left off. A save game will put you before the race starts.

Save points in Resident Evil 8 will put you back at the last typewriter you saved at. You’d lose some progress. Quick Resume? Right where you left off.

You clearly either haven’t used this, or haven’t given this any thought at all.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'd say PS5 isn't really necessary either since more and more of their games are coming to PC. You can never play every game so I'm okay if I miss out on an occasional Sony game. I never played Uncharted 4, but now I'll have the chance when it comes to PC. If LTOU2, HZD2, etc don't come to PC I'll survive. But it is looking more and more likely that a lot of their flagship titles will come to PC.

So for me, I'm good without a PS5. I have a Switch and XSX (due to better selection of Game Pass offerings on the console). If Game Pass improves significantly on PC I *might* sell the XSX, but right now the XSX is too good to pass up. Console of the year afterall!!!
It took 6 years for Uncharted 4 to hit PC and almost 4 years for God of War

If you like Playstation games then the PS5 is absolutely necessary. A lot people like their games

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It took 6 years for Uncharted 4 to hit PC and almost 4 years for God of War

If you like Playstation games then the PS5 is absolutely necessary. A lot people like their games

Great! Now do Death Stranding and Days Gone! Those were 2 years, max.
3 years for Horizon Zero Dawn too.

I think everyone knows that they’ll release games faster on PC this gen. And I believe they’ll peg it at 2 years post console launch.

PlayStation will always be the best place to be for Sony exclusives, but I believe PC only gamers won’t ultimately be left out.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Great! Now do Death Stranding and Days Gone! Those were 2 years, max.
3 years for Horizon Zero Dawn too.

I think everyone knows that they’ll release games faster on PC this gen. And I believe they’ll peg it at 2 years post console launch.

PlayStation will always be the best place to be for Sony exclusives, but I believe PC only gamers won’t ultimately be left out.
That's too long for me but do your thang

again, this is an ignorant take.
Do you even know what a Save state is?

Say you’re going to fight a boss. in a regular game, your save would be before fighting the boss, and you’d probably have to watch the cutscene and start the fight afresh.
with Quick resume, you can be in the middle of the boss battle and leave to play another game. When you get back, you’re resuming from the exact same point you were fighting the boss, doing the exact same action.
quick resuming into a 10 minute boss battle can save you a whole lot more than ‘30 seconds’. Also works wonders when game saves are few and far between.

In a racing game, Quick resume will put you back in the race at the moment you left off. A save game will put you before the race starts.

Save points in Resident Evil 8 will put you back at the last typewriter you saved at. You’d lose some progress. Quick Resume? Right where you left off.

You clearly either haven’t used this, or haven’t given this any thought at all.
Ignorant? Um no. Because just to see how much time Quick Resume saves, I just fired up several different games on my Xbox, and guess what? For every one I opened, I was in the game playing in UNDER 30 seconds
So I was correct, you're saving a little bit of time between games. Hardly enough to even mention, let alone angrily defend like it's the greatest feature you've ever seen. Give me a break.

And why is anyone just turning games off in the middle of a boss fight or the middle of a race or anything like that? You're just coming up with random times to pause a game to prove your point, but I don't think too many players are saying "Welp,I got this boss down to half health, but I really feel like switching over to a racing game RIGHT THIS SECOND!" Like, who even plays that way?

And again, you'd have to be playing several different games at once for this feature to matter at all. Most games load in within 30 seconds or less. This is a totally overblown feature, sorry. And please with the "you never used it" BS. That's like when someone doesn't like a game, and people instantly accuse them of not playing it. It's actually pretty funny to see that people will fight to defend QS. "I saved 2 minutes today when switching between 5 games", that's basically what it boils down to.
Whatever, enjoy your amazing feature. I'm going to continue to close games and open them like I always have, because the time saved is irrelevant, and several titles don't work with QS anyway.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
And again, you'd have to be playing several different games at once for this feature to matter at all.

Or you could just be playing something like Returnal, for example. It’s a lack of a feature like this that makes the devs recommend ‘rest mode’. Quick resume would have eliminated all the complaints about the save system.

I think you’ll find way more users extremely impressed with Quick Resume as a next gen feature than otherwise.

Or you could just be playing something like Returnal, for example. It’s a lack of a feature like this that makes the devs recommend ‘rest mode’. Quick resume would have eliminated all the complaints about the save system.

I think you’ll find way more users extremely impressed with Quick Resume as a next gen feature than otherwise.
Good example, because Returnal would be literally the ONLY game I can think of where I would use this feature. Except you know, PS5 first party game isn't going to be on Xbox. But ok, there's one game where it would be great, because the devs made an awful decision to not include any saves at all. That's a rare thing though.
I guess I look at quick resume the same way I look at car stereo buttons being on my steering wheel. Like, yeah, ok it is slightly faster than reaching to my dashboard to turn up the radio, but it's hardly changing the way I drive. That's all. I said already that I think it's a cool feature to have, but it gets talked about like it's mana from heaven. Seems odd to me

quest

Not Banned from OT
Good example, because Returnal would be literally the ONLY game I can think of where I would use this feature. Except you know, PS5 first party game isn't going to be on Xbox. But ok, there's one game where it would be great, because the devs made an awful decision to not include any saves at all. That's a rare thing though.
I guess I look at quick resume the same way I look at car stereo buttons being on my steering wheel. Like, yeah, ok it is slightly faster than reaching to my dashboard to turn up the radio, but it's hardly changing the way I drive. That's all. I said already that I think it's a cool feature to have, but it gets talked about like it's mana from heaven. Seems odd to me
If your short on time like some of us it is awesome. Play with out worry of a save point. Pick up later in the day exactly where I left off no repeat areas after loading a save. No staying up an extra hour to reach a save point ect. If I had unlimited time or only played multiple player games sure it be no big deal. But fuck getting 4 hours sleep when your not in your 20s.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
It's the best feature this gen, and it's not even close. Hopefully PS5 folks will get it eventually. But as slow as Sony is rolling out updates, don't expect it any time soon. I read that Sony only just recently allowed people to purchase games they claimed through PS Plus. LOL, they're a bit behind, you could say!

Swift_Star

Banned
"Casuals" don't pay $500 for a console either. $299 is the "casual" price point, which is why companies try to hit that as soon as possible and one reason why the Switch is so successful since it's been that since launch.
You really don't know anything, do you? Casuals buy stuff by brand name, not price, that why Samsung galaxies and iphones sell like hotcakes. Not because of their price, but because of the brand. Switch is successful because of the marketing AND Nintendo brand. It also plays Mario and Zelda.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You really don't know anything, do you? Casuals buy stuff by brand name, not price, that why Samsung galaxies and iphones sell like hotcakes. Not because of their price, but because of the brand. Switch is successful because of the marketing AND Nintendo brand. It also plays Mario and Zelda.
Little Timmy takes his mom into the store and points at the $500 PS5 and she'll buy him the $299 PS4 slim instead. This is how it's always worked and why $299 is the magic price point.

Swift_Star

Banned
Little Timmy takes his mom into the store and points at the $500 PS5 and she'll buy him the $299 PS4 slim instead. This is how it's always worked and why $299 is the magic price point.
Little Timmy doesn't exist but he has a higher chance to know and want PS5 and switch because of the marketing. Little Timmy also probably already has a PS4 and a switch. Your point is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Little Timmy doesn't exist but he has a higher chance to know and want PS5 and switch because of the marketing. Little Timmy also probably already has a PS4 and a switch. Your point is completely irrelevant.

And his parents will buy him the $299 Switch. You realize the ENTIRE REASON for console manufactures to reduce the hardware cost and redesign to a cheaper "Slim" model is to hit $299 right? Why does that offend you so much? Stop looking at the world through console warrior lenses, this is how EVERY gaming company has worked since the 32-bit era when Sega launched at $400 and Sony dropped the mic with $299 at E3. Since then that's been the mass-market price point for any console to be released. Enthusiasts and trend chases spend $500 on consoles, the mass market buys them at $299. That's where the PS4 really took off and why the Switch is poised to overtake the PS2.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Manabyte is 100% correct I have seen it firsthand when the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were out and my sister in law went Christmas shopping and my wife and I went with her her kids got the PS4 Pro even though they wanted the Xbox One X because price won out.

I think if anything if the Series S is sitting on the shelves thats the one little Timmys of the world will be getting 100% based on price point

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Manabyte is 100% correct I have seen it firsthand when the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were out and my sister in law went Christmas shopping and my wife and I went with her her kids got the PS4 Pro even though they wanted the Xbox One X because price won out.

I think if anything if the Series S is sitting on the shelves thats the one little Timmys of the world will be getting 100% based on price point
Bookmark me in a few years, then, I'm sure Series S won't sell more than either PS5 and Series X. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Swift_Star

Banned
And his parents will buy him the $299 Switch. You realize the ENTIRE REASON for console manufactures to reduce the hardware cost and redesign to a cheaper "Slim" model is to hit $299 right? Why does that offend you so much? Stop looking at the world through console warrior lenses, this is how EVERY gaming company has worked since the 32-bit era when Sega launched at $400 and Sony dropped the mic with $299 at E3. Since then that's been the mass-market price point for any console to be released. Enthusiasts and trend chases spend $500 on consoles, the mass market buys them at $299. That's where the PS4 really took off and why the Switch is poised to overtake the PS2.
Keep telling yourself that. Brand sells more than price. Series S won't sell more than PS5 DE, PS5 standard and Series X. There's more to buyers decision than price. 🤷🏻‍♂️
But you do you.

Last edited:

MikeM

Not my little Timmy. He is getting a Series X or PS5. Don't want my kid being made fun of at school for having a Series S or a PS4.

Last edited:

Data Ghost

I'd have to agree with the results. Personally I prefer my Xbox Series X console over the PS5. It's just such a neatly designed well thought out machine, and that opinion will never change.

Now games are a whole different matter, and while its still Series X for me this Christmas (FH5 and Halo Infinite) those PS5 blockbusters and on their way and will be unbeatable.

Ozriel

M$FT

why do you think ‘casuals’ means little kids or folks with no income of their own?

12 year old Timmy might just play more games for than most people here.

A lot of casual gamers are grown folk that have a lot of disposable income.

BigLee74

I can only think that the people that downplay Quick Resume have never used it, because it is the best thing since sliced bread.

(if the game supports it, and it isn’t stealthily swapped out of Quick Resume for another).

Topher

Gold Member
I can only think that the people that downplay Quick Resume have never used it, because it is the best thing since sliced bread.

(if the game supports it, and it isn’t stealthily swapped out of Quick Resume for another).

Quick Resume is by far my favorite feature of XSX. But honestly, I didn't think much of it either until I got my XSX and actually started using it. That was a bit of a "holy shit" moment for me.

If your short on time like some of us it is awesome. Play with out worry of a save point. Pick up later in the day exactly where I left off no repeat areas after loading a save. No staying up an extra hour to reach a save point ect. If I had unlimited time or only played multiple player games sure it be no big deal. But fuck getting 4 hours sleep when your not in your 20s.
Yeah, Returnal kept me awake until about 1am the first time I beat it. I would have loved a save at that point

Derktron

Banned
8 pages of people fighting over an award that doesn't mean shit and people are childish over fighting over this lol

GIF by MOODMAN

Top Bottom