• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump signs executive order banning transactions with Tencent

Elog

US history, as with all history, is full of decisions that were founded on fear. Acting like we ever made decisions not based on fear is silly.

You misunderstand me. History is filled with dread and fear. Our brains however are quite poor at discriminating between real risks and perceived risks, i.e. we fear a lot but some fears are totally irrational and some things that are immensely dangerous and should result in fear instil none.

Good leaders cater to the real risks and not what people 'feel' fear about. That is what I meant - and US politics have lately dealt more with what the common man 'feel' is dangerous instead of real dangers.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Fuck China and the horse it road in on, 100,000 people are now dead in the U.S from the Chinese unable to shut down wet markets with live animals. This is what virus number now out of China because of their shit in the past 15 years? The Dem's constantly standing up for China or saying nothing at all will loose them this next election.

I thought some people where dickheads on here but then to see them trying to defend has really cemented how much more of a dickhead they actually are. Some Sony fanboys in here but with some actual sense being displayed and for that props glad to see even though we have our favourite consoles some people here would make some good company to enjoy a beer with after all.

tsumake

You misunderstand me. History is filled with dread and fear. Our brains however are quite poor at discriminating between real risks and perceived risks, i.e. we fear a lot but some fears are totally irrational and some things that are immensely dangerous and should result in fear instil none.

Good leaders cater to the real risks and not what people 'feel' fear about. That is what I meant - and US politics have lately dealt more with what the common man 'feel' is dangerous instead of real dangers.

What are the real dangers?

Ornlu

Banned

What does that have to do with the topic at hand? The US and many other countries around the world are pushing back against the global soft power efforts of a totalitarian state. Isn't that preferable to making the 'fear based' decision of just letting them creep more and more into every industry and institution around the planet? That didn't work so well in the 1930's.

Elog

What does that have to do with the topic at hand? The US and many other countries around the world are pushing back against the global soft power efforts of a totalitarian state. Isn't that preferable to making the 'fear based' decision of just letting them creep more and more into every industry and institution around the planet? That didn't work so well in the 1930's.

You misunderstood me again. My point is that the world is not pushing back hard at all.

TikTok and WeChat are nothing. It is just a domestic audience play without doing something real. Even worse, the best ambassadors for change in China are high-skill individuals that are part of the global business environment. This move alienates this class of Chinese citizens while giving ammunition to the Chinese state that the west is out to suppress the Chinese civilization. In other words: The suggested policy achieves nothing with regard to the Chinese government short-term and lowers the probability of change in China medium- to long-term. The only thing it does is helping with the election claim that something is done to China, i.e. it is an absolute shit-show.

tsumake

You misunderstood me again. My point is that the world is not pushing back hard at all.

TikTok and WeChat are nothing. It is just a domestic audience play without doing something real. Even worse, the best ambassadors for change in China are high-skill individuals that are part of the global business environment. This move alienates this class of Chinese citizens while giving ammunition to the Chinese state that the west is out to suppress the Chinese civilization. In other words: The suggested policy achieves nothing with regard to the Chinese government short-term and lowers the probability of change in China medium- to long-term. The only thing it does is helping with the election claim that something is done to China, i.e. it is an absolute shit-show.

So we should be trying to appease Chinese business interests in order to encourage change.

What?

Top Bottom