• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True or False: There are really only two types of games that are made...

Are there really only two types of games? If so, which type do you prefer? (2 votes)

• Yeah, I more or less agree with the premise posed in the OP.

• No, I don't think games can be reduced like that.

• I prefer games that focus on the developer. (Psychonauts 2, Uncharted 4, Red Dead Redemption 2))

• I prefer games that focus on the player. (Gang Beasts, Minecraft, Animal Crossing)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The older I get, and the more games I play (thanks GamePass) the more I realize there really only seems to be two kinds of games.

Type 1: Games where the developer tries to show the player how clever they are.

Type 2: Games where the developer tries to get the player to be clever.

The last two games I downloaded and tried on GamePass were Psychonauts 2 and Gang Beasts. Psychonauts is a critical darling and Double Fine seems to be viewed as a bastion of creativity. Gang Beasts looks like **** and apparently sold over 30,000,000 copies (wtf?).

Psychonauts 2 has players watching cutscenes and reading wacky dialogue from NPCs. There are enemies called Regrets that fly and drop bombs called...regrets on players. There are enemies called Doubts that produce a slowing substance for the player. Get it?! There's definitely creativity on display but the game constantly tells the player "Do the normal videogame thing you've done for 30+ years (shoot enemies, run from A to B, jump on boxes to reach power ups...) and we'll feed you more of OUR cleverness."

Within two minutes of firing up Gang Beasts I'm asking a kid how to climb a wall (the controls are purposely unintuitive) and he tells me he'll only help if I tackle another player off a ledge. I try, fail, try again and then this really bizarre Lord of the Flies dynamic starts unfolding where kids are ordering other kids around and they're kind of obeying eachother. The players seem to be the focus here.

Certainly most games are a mixture of the two types, but do games ultimately boil down to this paradigm?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't think Rhythm games like Guitar Hero, Rockband, or Guitar Smith fall into this category. Sports games also seem to be outside of this characterization. Maybe you could say Adventure games or RPG have some of your ideas in them.

brutz

Neo Member
Yes, there are only two types of game, as there are only two types of books, or two types of movies. The first type, those you enjoy, and the second type, those you don't. And there is no
one earth that can tell you what type of game your playing except yourself.

Top Bottom