• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"True endings" in games - do you like them?

Nico_D

Yup and doing something as juvenile as a snowball fight makes the game's ending worse? WTF?

That is so true. There have been games where the dialogue choice has been something like "I disagree". I choose that and then the protagonist suddenly bursts into a fit of rage telling the other character to fuck off.

Milder case is the choices where developer's view of human psychology - how a person acts in a certain situation - differs how I would see it. Snowball fight is a good example: it can just fun, adults can play snowball fight and it is ok - but in a game that's suddenly pampering. If you are basing the effect of a choice on (illusion of) psychology, better make it make sense then and be psychologically logical.

jaysius

Banned
That is so true. There have been games where the dialogue choice has been something like "I disagree". I choose that and then the protagonist suddenly bursts into a fit of rage telling the other character to fuck off.

Milder case is the choices where developer's view of human psychology - how a person acts in a certain situation - differs how I would see it. Snowball fight is a good example: it can just fun, adults can play snowball fight and it is ok - but in a game that's suddenly pampering. If you are basing the effect of a choice on (illusion of) psychology, better make it make sense then and be psychologically logical.
I agree that the snowball fight is fun, but it's 100% the opposite of what Geralt would ever do, even to humor Ciri. It didn't fit the character at all, for it to make a huge impact on the game's ending was fucking dumb.

I guess it depends on the game. In games where choices affect the outcome, you could be locked out of a lot of content if you don't catch on to the game's logic. Persona and The Witcher come to mind. This is mostly a problem if you don't have a save right before the branching choice happens. I remember Valkyria Chronicles 4 required some grinding as well to gain access to a true ending which was disappointing in how predictable it was. It was like they cut off the last couple of minutes from the ending, and gated them behind a few hours of grinding. In these cases it doesn't feel like a proper reward, and gives people incentives to look up things online to save time and headaches.

It's hard because people want to have a unique experience and different outcomes depending on what choices they make in the game, but on the other hand they want to get the most out of the game and they want the best possible ending for the characters they've spent hours with, without wasting their time with busywork.

Soodanim

I hate that with a passion. Leave the other puzzle pieces for the next game. I ain’t replaying anything unless it’s a masterpiece or a deep RPG where I can play around with different character builds.
That's a shame, you're missing out. Nier games are highly regarded, and while Nier 1 might have the better story Nier 2 switches up the gameplay and you play as different characters so it plays out differently each time. On the third play you're playing an entirely new story and character.

SoraNoKuni

I like them, it gives a feeling of mystery to unsolve to attain the "truth", as I like philosphy I always chase such claims with passion.

Topher

Gold Member
I got the good ending in Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Definitely had to follow a guide though and that kind of robs the experience.

On the other hand, I'm considering doing another playthrough going entirely against the guide to try to get everyone killed....

Yay GIF by YoungerTV
Happy Megan Mullally GIF by Will & Grace

AJUMP23

I never survived the ending of Castlevania 2. Apparently you can, I just don't think it is possible for a kid in the 80s to do it. I don't mind multiple endings, as long as I am satisfied with the one I got.

Fredrik

That's a shame, you're missing out. Nier games are highly regarded, and while Nier 1 might have the better story Nier 2 switches up the gameplay and you play as different characters so it plays out differently each time. On the third play you're playing an entirely new story and character.
I’ve played Nier 1, is was good, and looked up second playthrough on Youtube once I realized it was different.

Woggleman

It is a story based game then just commit to an ending or do various versions of the same ending like recent Rockstar games. If they do commit to different endings then at least allow is to restart before the last mission after we beat the game. For all it's faults that is something Cyberpunk 2077 got right.

Falcom's Cold Steel 2 was ridiculous. Please play 90 hour JRPG twice for the true ending .

Yeah how about I just download someone else's save instead.
Good Morning GIF

Top Bottom