• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective Season 4 to star Jodie Foster

DKehoe

the payoff after all the build-up was bad. it felt like they just kinda said f it....towards the end. The journey was way better than the destination
What in particular made you feel that way? To me it really worked

They stop the guy who had been doing the killings. You get the sense that there's more going on with more powerful figures that Rust and Marty weren't able to do anything about but they did what they could. The season is obviously drawing on Lovecraft as a big source of inspiration and, similar to the experiences Lovecraft's characters have, with the Yellow King stuff you get the sense that there's this evil (not in a supernatural sense like with Lovecraft's work, but evil all the same) the full scale of which is beyond their comprehension or ability to fully challenge. And yet in doing their part they still make the world a better place. Rust spends most of the series as this nihilist because of the death of his son. But at the end when Marty talks about how the night sky (Rust's metaphor for the fight between good vs evil) has a lot more dark than light Rust points out that it used to be all dark, so the light is winning through that defiance. That those small acts of good, like what they have done, make all the difference. Rust has gone from a guy who had given up all hope to seeing that there are things in life worth fighting for.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
s1: awesome

s2: wtf was that?

s3: good, with a great lead actor, but boring

I am hoping this returns to the form of s1

Nothing will ever top Jodie Foster's Beaver.

GIF by Golden Globes

thefool

Last season ended with everyone around a table verbosely unraveling the mystery to the audience. Felt like those mystery kids show, close to a parody.

Its not for a lack of stars the other seasons weren't good. Most likely you'll never replicate that one-time Pizzaman writing plus Fukunaga directing all episodes.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
First review Ive seen is out. Sounds like complete shit which is what I expected. All of the previews made it look like a total women empowerment/memberberry experience with the callbacks to season 1 like the Carcosa spiral (because they gotta hook those diehard S1 fans in somehow right? Cant have just a good enough story without crutches).

And Pizza Lotto has nothing to do with it so why even bother

DaciaJC

Gold Member
First review Ive seen is out. Sounds like complete shit which is what I expected. All of the previews made it look like a total women empowerment/memberberry experience with the callbacks to season 1 like the Carcosa spiral (because they gotta hook those diehard S1 fans in somehow right? Cant have just a good enough story without crutches).

And Pizza Lotto has nothing to do with it so why even bother

Ah, that's disappointing.

clarky

Gold Member
On the flip side the British press seem to love it, 5 stars from the telegraph. (disable java to read)

few more seem to be really positive. Lets face it you can't get worse than 2. 3 wasnt much better.

Last edited:
On the flip side the British press seem to love it, 5 stars from the telegraph. (disable java to read)

few more seem to be really positive. Lets face it you can't get worse than 2. 3 wasnt much better.

100% with 15 reviews, that sounds really promising. Can't wait to see it.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah i'll be watching. They got rid of Nic whatshisface so i'm hopeful. Dude pulled a Matrix with that first season for sure.

Only six episodes so not a massive time investment if it shits the bed.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Do people not understand that the writer is basically the only thing that matters? Why do people think an actor is a sign of quality? Nic Pizza, who wrote the first season is just an executive producer here.

devutos

Neo Member
One of the reviews:
López’s vision breaks free of masculine stranglehold of the previous iterations as it binds history and present to women and is deeply embedded in the culture of women pushed to the margins.
I suppose this is the reason why critics like this, same reason as the Last Jedi, Ghostbusters 2016 or Doctor Who.
That said, I'll still give it the benefit of the doubt and check it out.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Season 3 is worth watching and way better than season 2.

Yeah, 3 is just a little bit slow and disjointed, 2 on the other hand is a struggle to find anything good to say about.

Cautiously optimistic about season 4, but to be honest I'm not sure if the formula laid out in the first season can ever be repeated successfully.

Hugare

Has this all been released?
Yeah when is this coming out?
11 days from now

Do people not understand that the writer is basically the only thing that matters? Why do people think an actor is a sign of quality? Nic Pizza, who wrote the first season is just an executive producer here.
Dude also wrote the 2nd season. And if you've told me that it was someone else, I wouldn't have doubted you, 'cause it was completely different

As already mentioned here, Matrix 1/2 and 3 were also written by the same writters, and only the first one was a masterpiece. Maybe HBO is saving us from Nic Pizzo's Matrix Resurrections

It's not like Pizzolatto invented the serial killer genre, and HBO has some great writters in its payroll, so I'm hopeful (still)

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I’d be disappointed if they did. I liked how season 1 handled that aspect where it was left open to interpretation how real that stuff was.

Agreed, going back to that would be an admission that seasons 2 and 3 sucked and they have no new ideas. (Season 3 was fine)

100% with 27 reviews. I mean, it's not indicative of anything, since Reacher S2 got 97% and it sucks. Who knows...

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I can't wait to see Foster back in a detective-like role. Clarice is one of my all-time favorite characters. I'm skeptical of season 4 with how much of a drop off seasons 2 and 3 were. I'm skeptical of any detective show in general, so many suck or aren't remotely realistic and I'm a stickler for that. But kinda craving one at the moment, so hope it is good.

Chiggs

Any watchers here?

I thought the episode was an absolute mess. Excruciatingly bad in some regards (especially acting). Not sure I'm coming back for the second.

Seriously, an interpretative dance ghost man?

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Got through 38 minutes of it, and I gave up. There's some decent stuff there, though it resonates of that "been there, done that better" thing. Feels like it wants to be Fortitude Season 1, but for me, it fails. First, Foster is either the wrong actress for the role, or (more likely) I just don't like her anymore. She used to be more of a transparent actress, allowing mostly just the character to come through. Now, all I see is Foster, and...yuck.

Also, the script and dialogue, though the foundation feels okay, it's kinda put together using random bits, glued on that don't make the thing come together all that nicely.

Granted, that's just the first episode, but I won't be coming back for more. Maybe McConnauhey phoned it in to a friend while he was flying back from a shoot. That's kinda what it feels like.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I thought it was horrible. Foster is the only good thing about this show. This is supposed to be one of HBO's flagship shows, and the quality of the first episode is baffling. So many girlbosses, idiotic and misused CGI, and the music... wtf were they thinking...
Was waiting to eventually buy the series to go along with my fabulous Season 1 but ouch 😲

John Bilbo

Yeah Foster was good. Music choices were not good mostly or I'm out of touch with the times. Production values were good, but the use of CGI not good. A bit of Lynch injected there, neither good or bad yet, we will see. Don't know about the characters yet other than racists.

I'll return for the next episode and see if I want to continue further.

Yeah Foster was good. Music choices were not good mostly or I'm out of touch with the times. Production values were good, but the use of CGI not good. A bit of Lynch injected there, neither good or bad yet, we will see. Don't know about the characters yet other than racists.

I'll return for the next episode and see if I want to continue further.
Agreed with your assessment. Didn't tick with me yet but it wasn't bad. Episode 2 will make it or break it.

Still one of the greatest scenes with Foster...Hopefully something along these sorts of lines, this type of character is her best work IMO.

Great setting and mystery. Sadly not so much with the characters. The opening credits song was an extremely safe choice, thus so uninteresting.

I noticed a brief glimpse of the spiral on Anne's body when Danvers is going through the crime scene photos. They're definitely tying this into the Carcosa story.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Sounds just as terrible as I expected. Reviews from particular outlets so blatantly worship the fact that the show is just a pussy powerhouse. Thank god for the womyn.

"Through just one episode, True Detective: Night Country feels like what True Detective was always supposed to be."

Oh go fuck yourself :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Agreed, going back to that would be an admission that seasons 2 and 3 sucked and they have no new ideas. (Season 3 was fine)

I haven't watched Season 2

Season 3 was good

Season 1 was fantastic

I hope that Season 4 is as great but I doubt it. It's especially telling from what I heard, it seems more like 2 girl bosses. Which I'm tired of as much as I am of superhero movies

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Watched it last night.

It was ok I guess. Intriguing enough.

I'll keep watching because the setup seems decent enough, but the lack of a single strong male lead is astonishing.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I'm liking it so far. But this early on it's all about set up so will see how things go as it progresses.

Top Bottom