• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starkster

Neo Member
So I rented the first season out yesterday, pulled an all nighter and blew through all 8 episodes. I'm shocked at how good this show is, walking into it months after it's finished.

I'm currently kicking myself for not watching it when it was first airing, as I was immediately drawn in by the storyline and McConaughey/Harrelson's characters throughout their timeline of events over the span of 17 years.
Especially Cohle. I feel for the guy massively. Having gone through so much shit I can see why he would basically sacrifice himself to out the "sprawl" and stop the abduction/killing of all those kids. Hart pulled me in a few times, but, eh. He's a very unforgiving character in terms of his cheating (while I do understand that he can't help it). The side-plots of the two 2012 detectives, as well as Hart's wife whose name escapes me, was also really interesting.

While I'm still sleep deprived, I'm definitely hooked. Reading the casting news for season 2 makes me excited, as Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch are all very great actors, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

- THR: 'True Detective' Enlists 'Dexter' Alum for Season 2
HBO's True Detective is adding a Dexter favorite to its ranks.

Dexter alum CS Lee, who played Dexter's smart-ass lab rat partner in crime Masuka, has become the latest addition to the season two cast of True Detective.

The eight-episode sophomore season, now in production in California, centers on three police officers and a career criminal who must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder.

Lee will recur as Richard Geldof, a state attorney general with grand political ambitions. Described as smooth and polished, the character is well spoken and intelligent, with an unmoored moral compass.

big ander

"Described as smooth and polished, the character is well spoken and intelligent, with an unmoored moral compass." Or as a friend put it, the opposite of Masuka.

was kind of hoping he would just play Masuka. make it a single universe.

Fjordson

I do like that guy, but I only know him for Masuka so it will be sort of jarring :lol I'll just keep thinking of Masuka hitting on Deborah.

- Deadline: ‘True Detective’ Adds Ronnie Gene Blevins, Emily Rios & Timothy V. Murphy
The Bridge co-star Emily Rios and Ronnie Gene Blevins (Kingdom) have booked arcs on the upcoming second season of HBO’s True Detective, which revolves around three police officers (Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch, Rachel McAdams) and a career criminal (Vince Vaughn), who must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder. Timothy V. Murphy (Sons Of Anarchy) also has been booked for the first episode of Season 2. Rios, repped by Domain, will play Gabby Behenna, traumatized by life in a traumatic family. She is currently shooting Paint It Black. Blevins, who recently signed with More/Medavoy, plays a long-standing company man to Vaughn’s character. He is also with Sovereign Talent Group. Murphy, repped by Creative Partners and SBD Partners, will play Russian gangster Osip Agranov.

Good for Emily Rios, she was one of the best on The Bridge. Timothy Murhpy seems to have a lot of experience playing Russians:

Burn Notice (2012) as Vincent Durov
NCIS: Los Angeles (2012-2013) as Isaak Sidorov
Revenge (2012) as Dmitri Bladoff
Shameless (2011) as Vlad (2 episodes)
What's Up, Scarlet? (2005) as Vladamir Borshkoff
V.I.P. (2001) as General Volykov

- Deadline: ‘True Detective’ Adds 2
Afemo Omilami and Chris Kerson have booked roles on the upcoming second season of HBO’s True Detective, which revolves around three police officers (Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch, Rachel McAdams) and a career criminal (Vince Vaughn), who must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder. Omilami, repped by SMS Talent, will play Police Chief Holloway as a series regular. He will next be seen in Terminator: Genisys. Kerson will play the heavily recurring role of Nails, the survivor of a brutal nail gun attack and devoted company man to Frank Semyon (Vaughn). Kerson is repped by Allagash Entertainment and Hirsch Wallerstein Hayum Matlof and Fishman. His previous TV credits include 30 Rock and Pacific Blue.

I don't see a LTTP thread and this one is still active, so...

...That was a heck of a party. What a great show, great performances,just awesome.

Looking back on this thread from the finale to some 30 pages later-- I'm kinda glad I watched it all at once. I didn't get caught up in crazy theories (except Cohle's) and didn't have inflated expectations. The finale seems pitch perfect to me.

The only thing that bugged me is that they didn't go into the final confrontation better prepared. Seemed uncharacteristically reckless of them. Not they they feared for their safety, but that they might chase off their prey or not stop him at all.

I think the biggest thing I'm gonna miss is Fuknaga's direction. Not just the obvious stuff like The Shot from episode 4, but just like a regular mundane shot like earlier in the episode where Marty is talking to the bartender and he lines up all the strippers from the middleground to the background to give the shot and the room a lot of depth, or the way he'll hold the camera on certain characters to imply their current state of mind. Its just a interesting, fantastic lookin' show, in a way I can't remember any other cop show. Not to mention the great performances he gets out of everybody, from the two protagonists on down. True Detective walks some well-trodden ground and wasn't without its problem, but there's very high level of craft on display that I'd worried how Season 2 will shake up.

Fjordson

I think the biggest thing I'm gonna miss is Fuknaga's direction. Not just the obvious stuff like The Shot from episode 4, but just like a regular mundane shot like earlier in the episode where Marty is talking to the bartender and he lines up all the strippers from the middleground to the background to give the shot and the room a lot of depth, or the way he'll hold the camera on certain characters to imply their current state of mind. Its just a interesting, fantastic lookin' show, in a way I can't remember any other cop show. Not to mention the great performances he gets out of everybody, from the two protagonists on down. True Detective walks some well-trodden ground and wasn't without its problem, but there's very high level of craft on display that I'd worried how Season 2 will shake up.
Yeah, really loved Fukunaga's work.

Speaking of that shot, here's a neat article on that I read on Grantland last week: http://grantland.com/features/true-detective-tracking-shot-fukanaga-what-we-saw/

I think S2's cast has shaped up really well and I have faith in Pizzaman on the script, but I hope Fukunaga's absence (or just the absence of a singular directorial vision) doesn't hurt it too much.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Knew you were a good guy, VJC.

Dead Man

Indeed.

Yep, it seems almost impossible for the level of quality to be maintained with an assortment of directors replacing Fuknaga next season.

That's the beauty of the show's format though. We'll always have that masterful, self-contained first season.

yeah, this is one of the main reasons why i'm not really that excited about season 2 yet

At least Soderbergh is still doing The Knick season 2

duckroll

We're getting a lot of announcements for cast members now, but still nothing about directors other than Justin Lin on the first two episodes. I wonder if they're going to bother announcing any of the other directors at all before it airs. I remember the same thing happening with House of Cards, where they were proudly parading the directors for season 1, and then with season 2 it was mostly quiet other than mentions of Jodie Foster and Robin Wright getting to direct episodes since they were unusual choices.

Cudder

We're getting a lot of announcements for cast members now, but still nothing about directors other than Justin Lin on the first two episodes. I wonder if they're going to bother announcing any of the other directors at all before it airs. I remember the same thing happening with House of Cards, where they were proudly parading the directors for season 1, and then with season 2 it was mostly quiet other than mentions of Jodie Foster and Robin Wright getting to direct episodes since they were unusual choices.

Justin Lin is directing episodes? Wow, that dude is getting work everywhere nowadays, and his work really runs the gamut in terms of directing different kinds/genres/looking material.

Just got done watching all of Season 1 for the first time. To be perfectly honest, I thought it was just alright. Didn't find it all that engaging except for maybe a few scenes

Ive rewatched S1 for the third time. The draw for me isnt even the plot, it's the awesome chemistry between Mcconaughey and Harrelson (Michelle Monaghan is awesome as well) and the equally fantastic cinematography and editing.
The season feels like a great novel that ends all too soon.
I hope they can recapture that magic for S2.

Yeah I'm having a hard time believing that S2 is going to live up to S1. Wasn't Pizzaman writing for fucking years to the first's narrative, before adapting it into episodes once they struck the HBO deal?

Yeah I'm having a hard time believing that S2 is going to live up to S1. Wasn't Pizzaman writing for fucking years to the first's narrative, before adapting it into episodes once they struck the HBO deal?

Plus he's from Louisiana. The entire season just oozed with a sort of authenticity that you don't always see in television or film (compared to literature where it happens often); you could tell he had lived in that world, around those people. I just don't see him being able to replicate that with a California setting and some plot devices we're more familiar with.

Ive rewatched S1 for the third time. The draw for me isnt even the plot, it's the awesome chemistry between Mcconaughey and Harrelson (Michelle Monaghan is awesome as well) and the equally fantastic cinematography and editing.
The season feels like a great novel that ends all too soon.
I hope they can recapture that magic for S2.

Indeed. The "whodunnit" was fun to discuss on gaf, but it was hardly the draw, and frankly a tad disappointing. Besides MM's portrayal of a seasoned detective with questionable background, the real star of the show is the chemistry between two very real individuals in Harrelson and MM.

I also share sculli's sentiment. I have reservations about S2. I don't have any doubts about Colin Farrel. But rest of the cast most likely will not inspire anyone. Taylor Kitsch and Vince Vaughn...

I just don't think anyone else will be able to out-act harrelson and mcconaughey.

Fjordson

Indeed. The "whodunnit" was fun to discuss on gaf, but it was hardly the draw, and frankly a tad disappointing. Besides MM's portrayal of a seasoned detective with questionable background, the real star of the show is the chemistry between two very real individuals in Harrelson and MM.

I also share sculli's sentiment. I have reservations about S2. I don't have any doubts about Colin Farrel. But rest of the cast most likely will not inspire anyone. Taylor Kitsch and Vince Vaughn...
Kitsch is damn good with solid material. I think he'll shock people with a quality performance in this.

He's been in some total shit to be sure, but I last saw him in The Normal Heart on HBO and he was fantastic.

hydruxo

I'm very skeptical on how S2 will turn out, but also optimistic because Pizzolatto is fantastic. I'm really interested to see how this cast meshes with each other because it seems like kind of a hodge podge.

potam

Banned
Has Rachel McAdams had any really serious roles or any great performances? I'm really afraid McConaughey and Harrelson were lightning in a bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom