• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Troy Baker endorses NFT firm: ‘You can hate, or you can create’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The The Last of Us actor tweeted on Thursday that he was teaming up with Voiceverse NFT, which claims it will let people buy AI voices as NFTs which can then be used in any game.

“I’m partnering with Voiceverse NFT to explore ways where together we might bring new tools to new creators to make new things, and allow everyone a chance to own & invest in the IP’s they create,” Baker said.

Presumably anticipating the backlash the announcement would create, he added: “We all have a story to tell. You can hate. Or you can create. What’ll it be?”

NFTs are unique non-interchangeable units of data stored on a blockchain (a form of digital ledger), which effectively allow users to own, buy and sell digital items such as in-game items or artwork.

According to Voiceverse’s claims, a voice NFT will give its buyer access to a unique AI voice which they will then ‘own’.

“Imagine being able to create customized audiobooks, Youtube videos, e-learning lectures, or even podcasts with your favourite voice,” it says, “all without the hassle of additional legal work. This also allows people with limited resources to access professional-grade voices more easily.”

Voiceverse says that 8,888 unique AI-generated voice models will be available later this month. Owners will be able to use Voiceverse Lab, a web-based tool, to create audio and video content using that voice. It doesn’t explain what will happen to NFTs if the tool is ever taken offline, however.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Baker’s tweet has received hundreds of negative responses on Twitter, with many pointing out how Voiceverse NFT seems to even conflict with his profession as a voice actor.

It also claims that owners will be able to convert their voice to their voice NFT in real-time for use in online games, though it hasn’t yet explained how this will work.

It isn’t yet clear how Baker will be involved in Voiceverse, though given his status as a voice actor it will be interesting to see if he’s simply supporting the project, or actually willing to give his own voice away as an NFT so somebody can effectively put words in his mouth.

kyliethicc

xNjrKMH.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don't understand why some people are so upset with nft. Just some cosmetics, who gives a shit.
It’s the idea of you spending all your money on a jpeg or video file that’s essentially endorsed by the internet. It’s not like this stuff will be $2-$3. These gaming NFT’s are going for hundreds and hundreds of dollars for just residing somewhere in this massive cable infrastructure.

He wants to sell his voice activated NFT that’s making money for simply existing.

kingfey

Banned
Who the fuck are these people? All they give a shit, is the pack of money, they get from these developers. So shut the fuck up garbage's, who endorses these shits. Eat a turd.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

The The Last of Us actor tweeted on Thursday that he was teaming up with Voiceverse NFT, which claims it will let people buy AI voices as NFTs which can then be used in any game.

“I’m partnering with Voiceverse NFT to explore ways where together we might bring new tools to new creators to make new things, and allow everyone a chance to own & invest in the IP’s they create,” Baker said.

Presumably anticipating the backlash the announcement would create, he added: “We all have a story to tell. You can hate. Or you can create. What’ll it be?”

NFTs are unique non-interchangeable units of data stored on a blockchain (a form of digital ledger), which effectively allow users to own, buy and sell digital items such as in-game items or artwork.

According to Voiceverse’s claims, a voice NFT will give its buyer access to a unique AI voice which they will then ‘own’.

“Imagine being able to create customized audiobooks, Youtube videos, e-learning lectures, or even podcasts with your favourite voice,” it says, “all without the hassle of additional legal work. This also allows people with limited resources to access professional-grade voices more easily.”

Voiceverse says that 8,888 unique AI-generated voice models will be available later this month. Owners will be able to use Voiceverse Lab, a web-based tool, to create audio and video content using that voice. It doesn’t explain what will happen to NFTs if the tool is ever taken offline, however.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Baker’s tweet has received hundreds of negative responses on Twitter, with many pointing out how Voiceverse NFT seems to even conflict with his profession as a voice actor.

It also claims that owners will be able to convert their voice to their voice NFT in real-time for use in online games, though it hasn’t yet explained how this will work.

It isn’t yet clear how Baker will be involved in Voiceverse, though given his status as a voice actor it will be interesting to see if he’s simply supporting the project, or actually willing to give his own voice away as an NFT so somebody can effectively put words in his mouth.

Their idea is the actor whose voice the ai based voice modulation is based on would get paid when you buy their voice NFT that somehow then let’s you use it in a game.

Why in the world that requires NFts is beyond me, and apparently beyond them as they aren’t making any sense and this isn’t in any games.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Their idea is the actor whose voice the ai based voice modulation is based on would get paid when you buy their voice NFT that somehow then let’s you use it in a game.

Why in the world that requires NFts is beyond me, and apparently beyond them as they aren’t making any sense and this isn’t in any games.
he gets paid to say this shit. He knows NFT is scam, and is destructive to people. He just doesnt care, as long as he gets paid.

Batiman

Banned
Dude always came off like a douche. People talk like he’s a god or something. Glad I haven’t seen him in any games I’ve played lately. Sick of that fucker

kingfey

Banned
Why would somebody all that money for one though. If people are dumb enough to buy it I won't blame the seller but I still don't get it is worth so much.
Its scam product. It's form of mtx. Different, this is digital art. You can exploit it easily. Any dumb person who buys it, will lose their money.

hlm666

For this whole thing to work games are going to have to be designed almost with a totally open mod like system so you can add the data to the game from where ever the blockchain is actually going to store the data you apparently own the unique token for.

There are so many problems with the way this is being pushed.

"Instead of storing the data on-chain, NFTs instead contain a URL that points to the data. What surprised me about the standards was that there’s no hash commitment for the data located at the URL. Looking at many of the NFTs on popular marketplaces being sold for tens, hundreds, or millions of dollars, that URL often just points to some VPS running Apache somewhere. Anyone with access to that machine, anyone who buys that domain name in the future, or anyone who compromises that machine can change the image, title, description, etc for the NFT to whatever they’d like at any time (regardless of whether or not they “own” the token). There’s nothing in the NFT spec that tells you what the image “should” be, or even allows you to confirm whether something is the “correct” image."

"So as an experiment, I made an NFT that changes based on who is looking at it, since the web server that serves the image can choose to serve different images based on the IP or User Agent of the requester. For example, it looked one way on OpenSea, another way on Rarible, but when you buy it and view it from your crypto wallet, it will always display as a large 💩 emoji. What you bid on isn’t what you get. There’s nothing unusual about this NFT, it’s how the NFT specifications are built. Many of the highest priced NFTs could turn into 💩 emoji at any time; I just made it explicit."

"After a few days, without warning or explanation, the NFT I made was removed from OpenSea (an NFT marketplace):"

Codes 208

I don't understand why people whine...

Obviously, there's a market for this stuff.
Because its a fucking scam that steals from other people (a ton of NFT’s out there are just copy-pasted from people’s work on art sites like reddit or deviantart) and the sites that host these refuse to actually take these down. Its infringement in the worst kind of way.

As for the NFT value itself: imagine you got married but your wife keeps getting fucked by other guys and theres literally notjing you can do about it. The nft is your marriage certificate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom