• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple Dipping

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Got Control as a monthly PS+ game.
Got it again as an Epic weekly free game.
Got it again as an Amazon Prime game.
It also was on Gamepass and now it's on PS+ Extra.

Only played it to test xCloud when it was released here and didn't get very far. :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_crying:
Damn, stone jaw lady gets around

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SX4E01.png
xenoblade-cover-art.jpg
662468-xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-nintendo-switch-front-cover.jpg

92787-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
71sDJoN9w0L._AC_SY879_.jpg
216587-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-portable-psp-front-cover.jpg

Fredrik

Skyrim is probably the worst offender. How many generations and platforms has this game been made for? I mean, I love the game, but I really didn't feel the need to buy the port for my refrigerator. :pie_roffles:

It's has sold over 30 million games, so I guess it makes sense for them to keep milking with additional versions, but I think it crazy that people keep buying them.
You’re not wrong but I’m far too weakminded, happily bought the VR version at full price after already buying 5 other versions before that, Todd must love me by now lol

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Celcius Celcius

I guess a lot of folks (regarding their favorite movies) went from VHS to DVD to Bluray... So yeah

Some care about (minute) changes (eye of the beholder) and some don't

1+1=2

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
P5R is the only exclusive from PS4 that I really care about, so of course I'll be buying it again on Steam. It won't be right away though, I'm still a few years out from a replay.

I double dipped on MH: Rise, but kind of regret that as I barely played it on PC. Switch is likely my last console, so that won't be an issue in the future.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Held back how because they are 30fps? how did people even lived on consoles, Disgaea 6 doesn't even look like a game that pushes the Switch lmao

Its no difference from what happened with Persona 5 on PS3/4
If you’ve actually played Disgaea 6 on a Switch then you know that game chugs at times… they were just asking the hardware to do a little too much

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
I pretty much just wait for everything to hit Gamepass. I also subbed to that PS Premium, don't know if I'll stay subscribed, but I'm on it for now. If it doesn't hit either of those two services, I don't worry about it. Prevents buyer's remorse as well.

The Stig

Ive double dipped a few times over the years.

Basically when a game I love comes out on steam (that came out first on console) I have to get it.

The first 2 arkham games I had on PS3 then Steam.
God of War - PS4 -> steam
AVP classic - CD - Steam
Bully - xbox - steam
All GTA 3 games - PS2 - PC
RDR2 - PS4 - PC
Death Stranding - PS4 - Steam

The list is pretty long, Im only at D in my list of games on steam tbh.

But TRIPLE?

Only game I can think of is Command and Conquer Tiberian Dawn.

DOS - Win95 - Remastered collection on steam

EDIT - WAIT. I think ive quad dipped or more on Street fighter 2 and original MK

Last edited:
Many titles on Steam and consoles, but the latests ones are:

Tripple dipping:
Elden Ring: XBOX Collector’s Edition, XBOX digital, Steam

Double dipping:
Persona 5: P5 Collector’s Edition, P5R Collector’s Edition

Last edited:
I bought GTAV three times and Skyrim four times :messenger_weary:

But that's it I swear.

until I get back into PC gaming and rebuy all my console games again

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I multi-dipped

RE4 - GC, PS2, PC, Wii, PS3, Switch, PS4, and that mini iOS version
Final Fantasy VII - PS1, PS3, PC, Switch, and iOS

I could continue, but it’s super tiresome. I’ve done the upgrades that have been out for free this Gen. I just got the RE2/3 upgrades, Death Stranding, etc. I tend to forget some of the re-releases, but for the most part. I’ve owned it at some point and probably own it again on a new set of hardware. I play these games, so I know I’m not just burning my money. I have this feeling like the video game industry tries to sell you the shirt from off your back

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Dragons Dogma
Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen
Dragons Dogma PC edition

You gonna love to know I've bought Dragon's Dogma 8 times on different platforms and versions. If the game is good, why not? I understand your point of purposely drip-releasing games on different platforms to maximize profits but some games justify their existence in multiple platforms across different generations.

kiphalfton

Would never triple dip a Sony game, since they're always super expensive by the time they release on steam... but are like $10 for a copy on PS4. See GoW, Horizon, etc.

Dragons dogma, bought it on ps3, ps4 and switch.

Divinity os 2, switch, ps4, switch
Witcher 3, ps4, pc switch
For that cross save from switch to pc.

Gta trilogy own on pc, ps4, switch
Borderlands 2, pc vita, ps3, ps4/5, switch, (5 different platforms)

Mass effect tril, pc, ps3, ps4/5 (damn that ps3 non bc)
Re4, pc, switch, oculus, ps3, ps4
Star dew valley, ps4, vita, switch

There are other games like silent hill, and mgs trilogy I'd triple dip for but Konami doesn't want my money.

Also too many double dips to count. This is what happens when you don't buy day 1 and wait for sales. Steam, ps4 and eshop(3rd party for that last one only) have sales all the time. I

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Me when a game I love releases on multiple platforms:
march madness bbq GIF

I used to triple dip a lot of stuff on Switch, because I wanted a good way to play it on the go. Now the Steam Deck exists, so I've been doing less and less of that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Triple? Ha! When Sonic Origins comes out it'll be the 4th version of Sonic 2 on Switch alone.
That is fucking sad xD

Sonic 2 Dotemu version
Sega collection.
Are you counting sonic mania version?

Also diablo 3 .

PC x2
PS3
Ps4
Xbox one
Switch x2

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I triple dipped on Elden Ring day one. In a world where so many games have microtransactions, I feel like I should reward From Software for just providing a complete and epic SP adventure with no MTX.

baya GIF

XBox360/Switch/WiiU/PC
Would be triple dipping on this (ps3/pc) and switch, but Nintendo owns it and as such its never ever on sale. $29 for a fake that is regularly $5 to 10 on psn or pc.

I got Bayonetta 2 physical from Amazon and the new copy was out of stock so got used, little did I know bayo 1 was a download, and already used. Would love for Nintendo to drop the price, but they won't, greedy as they are.

I triple dipped on Elden Ring day one. In a world where so many games have microtransactions, I feel like I should reward From Software for just providing a complete and epic SP adventure with no MTX.
Probably will do this. I got it on pc and bought a steam link to play it on the TV. I usually play controller centric games on ps4, which was broken and no ps5 in site. Little did I know exactly 1 week after buying elden ring on pc I got my ticket to a ps5 from Sony. Now I will have to pull the trigger on it, but waiting for a sale. It will happen eventually

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I normaly do not buy the same game twice. But some games are exceptions, and I normaly have excuses for them.
Dark souls 1: PS3 then PC because the game+ dlc was cheaper than the dlc alone on console.
Then again on PS4 because I didnt have good games to play after bloodborne.
Dark souls 2: PS3 then PS4 for the upgrades and the dlcs. And because no good games to play after bloodborne...
Rocket league PC( Cheap) then PS4 to play with a friend.
TLOU 1: PS3 then PS4 to prepare for part 2. Few next gen games interest me at the moment so once I finish Elden Ring and before GOW 2 i will probably buy TLOU 1 again😅
And of course GTA 5 PS3 and PS4( disc to digital).

Lately there’s this trend of games releasing exclusively on one platform initially and then later releasing with an upgraded version:

Persona 5 was on ps3/4 @ 720p/1080p 30 fps, then Persona 5 Royal on ps4 pro at 4K 30 fps, and now P5R will be on everything except Switch, at 4K 60 fps.

FF7 Remake was on ps4 pro 1600p 30 fps, then FF7 Remake Intergrade on PS5 at native 4K or 60 fps, then FF7RI on Epic Store for 4K and 60 fps, and now on Steam.

Ghost of Tsushima was on ps4 pro, then Directors Edition was 4K 60 fps on ps5, and with the way Sony is going lately I’m wondering if it will end up on Steam too.

Anyone else double or triple dipping a lot lately because you want to play a game at launch but then you also want the “best” version of a game or to have it on the platform of your choice? I know companies pay for exclusivity but lately they seem to be doing a lot of re-releasing. What are your thoughts on this trend?
If you triple dip you are part of the problem.

Or do you think Sharkstar would rerelase the same game over and over again instead of releasing new games??

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

The only games I've ever double dipped on were The Master Chief Collection even though I already owned all the games it was such an amazing value for all those games at the price of 1 game and the BioShock collection when it was on sale to get all the DLC. I like to buy my games once. They only game I would be interested in buying is a modernized remake of Morrowind.

I think games like TLOU, Skyrim and GTA5 are completely ridiculous but I guess if people are dumb enough to keep buying them, they'll keep grabbing that easy cash.
Halo and Bioshock remastered is OK. TLOU, GTA 5 and Skyrim are not OK.
You’re smart.

Rambone

I like to go back and forth between my consoles and PC so I tend to double dip here and there on games I really like. I will buy upgraded versions of my games if I like them enough. Now because I do double dip, I really really appreciate when devs include stuff like cross platform cloud saves so I can pick back up where I left off no matter what system I choose to play on.

kubricks

Quintuple dipped: Symphony of the night on PS1, Saturn, PSP, Vita via Roundal, Android phone (shame)
Quadruple dipped: Chrono Trigger on SNES, DS, PS1, Android phone.

You can't blame me, those two games are GOAT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom