• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trek to Yomi launches May 5

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Weakest parry I've ever felt in a game. The timing is so off too. Art design is amazing though. Good game for gamepass
That's the big plus for GP. You get to test out all these games of unknown quality. By the sounds or Yomi, its a game with shitty gameplay with awesome aesthetics. Sales will probably suck as news spreads.

If this game was strictly sold as an indie game, I bet it would get tons of pre-orders or day one blind buyers getting it on hype and art.... only to get burned.

End of the day, the dev got their money from MS as a partnership deal, but at least for all us GP subbers, it's another game to try on the service instead of paying $20 US/$26 CDN.

That's the big plus for GP. You get to test out all these games of unknown quality. By the sounds or Yomi, its a game with shitty gameplay with awesome aesthetics. Sales will probably suck as news spreads.

If this game was strictly sold as an indie game, I bet it would get tons of pre-orders or day one blind buyers getting it on hype and art.... only to get burned.

End of the day, the dev got their money from MS as a partnership deal, but at least for all us GP subbers, it's another game to try on the service instead of paying $20 US/$26 CDN.
Nice twist, MS saving people's money by including this stinker to GP.
Beer Salute GIF

Zeroing

Banned
My issue with the game is the animations and characters models, you can tell there’s a cutscene if the characters movements are more natural , then they move and are modeled like puppets on strings. It breaks the immersion!

I still think it’s a beautiful game.

Banned
once again western devs not able to make good looking attack animations or fighting systems -_-

the parry especially looks so fucking bad... like god damn...

if your only actually game mechanic is the fighting then that should be at least fleshed out as much as possible...

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

VFXVeteran

Banned
This game is the perfect showcase for realistic lighting and shadows. If games today can have this kind of fidelity in a full 3D world, then we will be close to near CG fidelity when it concerns lighting. Everything is mostly baked but the rendering style is incredibly done and extremely pleasing to the eye. I'm always amazed at some Indie developers and how they utilize the unreal engine.

ahtlas7

At least this guy who made it has a nice art piece for his Demo Reel. Combat may suck but if all he wants is an artist job, I mean, this thing is stunning.

You guys are shockingly harsh on this game. Its gorgeous. Just walking around is a feast for the eyes for any samurai fan.

Combat is not great but its functional. Haven't even gotten any new moves yet and I already have 3 combos and a heavy hit to start, and turn around hit and a parry. Looks like lots of moves get unlocked later. Playing on hard mode you die in a few hits. Ive played many games that are far, far, far worse.

I really wish I knew what the issue is. Is it that the game started promotional material and marketing through Xbox? Reminds me of the crazy exaggeration around The Medium. Or do you guys just genuinely never play or tolerate anything but the big budget AAA games? Games can still be well worth playing and have fantastic qualities even if they have a few flaws.

Last edited:

Banned
You guys are shockingly harsh on this game. Its gorgeous. Just walking around is a feast for the eyes for any samurai fan.

Combat is not great but its functional. Haven't even gotten any new moves yet and I already have 3 combos and a heavy hit to start, and turn around hit and a parry. Looks like lots of moves get unlocked later. Playing on hard mode you die in a few hits. Ive played many games that are far, far, far worse.

I really wish I knew what the issue is. Is it that the game started promotional material and marketing through Xbox? Reminds me of the crazy exaggeration around The Medium. Or do you guys just genuinely never play or tolerate anything but the big budget AAA games? Games can still be well worth playing and have fantastic qualities even if they have a few flaws.

I don't play videogames to look at the scenery

and I don't play games that have a single game mechanic that is also sup par.

the terrible parry mechanic and accompanying animation alone is so bad, it should never have been in a final game focused on fighting

Last edited:
The game gives you all these moves and combos but the timing is so weird and enemies rarely allow you to open up and use them. I assumed by gameplay videos this would be intense, brutal combat with lots of gore but instead you just parry a million times and hit X once or twice. Enemies early seem stunned to allow for the finishers.

ManaByte

Game is a turd that's been shined up with pretty graphics and presentation.

Gameplay is garbage. Glad I tried it on Gamepass instead of paying $17 when it was on sale on PSN.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Meh, its okay. Combat feels weak, true. Like some classic Prince of Persia shit. That cinematic framerate tho

funny-disgusting.gif

Last edited:
I will concede that there are a few very annoying enemy AI behaviors though. Just forces you to play with basic combos only. So far I'd probably rate the game a 7 or a 6.5. This guy needs to team up with people who can elevate the combat system and it'll be great.

The enemy movement speed is also hilariously over the top. You can block and then hit and they've backed up like halfway across the screen before your attack goes out lol.

Last edited:
I wanna know why it runs at like 43fps on the series X. It’s stuttery as hell.

Yes. Parrying is weird as hell. Glad it’s not just me being trash
I was wondering about the frame rate too. It looks absolutely beautiful, but I don't care for all the stuttering.

AJUMP23

I have made it through 3 chapters, lots of crying.....they should pay the voice actors who do are the crying extra, because there is a lot of it.

I have made it through 3 chapters, lots of crying.....they should pay the voice actors who do are the crying extra, because there is a lot of it.
I'm liking the game, but I gotta admit you have a point. I totally noticed the crying and was waiting for it to chill a bit.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Checked it out on Gamepass. It's a beautiful game so far. I have a huge problem with the consistent wailing going on. I get it, village ravaged, whole family is dead, but I'm not gonna lie, I started telling people out loud to shut the fuck up as if they could hear me. It got pretty annoying. the art is good, but I feel the black and white takes away from it, rather than add to it. The gameplay is simple even after multiple upgrades, the enemies are easily defeated. Light, light, heavy combo stun locks any opponent, making the fights trivial. I'm hoping the game gets a lot harder. I'm already playing it on the hardest difficulty.

I had a similar complaint about other samurai/ninja games. Ghosts of Tsushima also became trivial very early in the game for me. Sekiro is still king. Nioh 2 distant 2nd place.

I'd say they need to make a new Tenchu, but honestly....Sekiro fills that void. Just make a Sekiro 2.

Absolutely loved this game, however the entirety of the combo system is unneeded. I think the "one hit kill" mode should've been selectable from the start. Parrying timing is horrid and can mess up animations big time.

If anyone needs to know how to win the game, here ya go:

Weaker Enemies = Block one move, immediately Hold Down and Press X twice.

Stronger Enemies = Block 1-2 moves, immediately Hold Up and Press X, X, Y, then the finisher button (though this combo needs to be unlocked somewhere).

Or... you could check reviews and save your time AND money.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Every time the names Izanami and Izanagi pop up in the collectibles, my inner Persona 4 fanboy screams aloud.

Hoddi

I'm liking it quite a bit so far. I don't know why the consoles are performing so poorly but it runs amazingly well on PC. I tried dropping the resolution to 1080p and it was approaching 300fps at times.

Nydius

Just finished it on XSX. Thanks to having a VRR capable display I was able to mitigate most of the frame rate and pacing problems. But my god the combat was horribly clunky. Noticeable input delay, inconsistent parrying and combos, rolling sometimes just didn't work, and the about-face button press leading to a sluggish animation to turn around is just horrid. Enemies could go from being right beside you to zooming across the screen like they were the Flash, and it really irked me how some enemies, like the Shades, can just keep wailing away on you for like 10 straight hits while you're constrained to the stamina bar for almost everything.

And yet the enemies are ridiculously easy outside of bosses (and even they're not hard, just annoying due to the combat jank). As others have posted in here, you can literally beat the game using two combos endlessly. The ranged weapons are more of a hindrance than a help.

Fantastic aesthetic, fun visuals, but crap as a game overall. I don't even feel compelled to go back and chase any of the achievements I left behind.
Glad Game Pass saved me from buying this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom