• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trek to Yomi launches May 5

Draugoth

Gold Member
Thanks to Gematsu

Trek to Yomi will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam on May 5, publisher Devolver Digital and developer Flying Wild Hog announced.

Here is an overview of the game, via Devolver Digital:

About
As a vow to his dying Master, the young swordsman Hiroki is sworn to protect his town and the people he loves against all threats. Faced with tragedy and bound to duty, the lone samurai must voyage beyond life and death to confront himself and decide his path forward.
Key Features
  • Cinematic Presentation – Breathtaking camera angles and striking visuals in the spirit of classic samurai film create a true cinematic experience in Trek to Yomi.
  • Stylish Combat – Engage vicious swordsmen and supernatural beings with a streamlined combat system based around the traditional weapons of the samurai.
  • Mythic StorytellingExperience an enthralling story of Hiroki during his fall against the forces of evil and heroic return to make good on his failed promise to save the people he swore to protect.
  • Thrilling Soundtrack – The thrilling action and somber moments are set against a memorable score designed to feel authentic to the time and place of feudal Japan.
Watch a 16-minute extended gameplay video below.

SJRB

Gold Member
Visually absolutely stunning and awesome audio/music, but the combat looks extremely mediocre.

I hope it's just because it's from the start of the game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

If you like samurai and Japanese culture in your video games and are looking for something beyond Ghost of Tsushima, there might be something rather interesting coming up soon. Flying Wild Hog's side-scrolling samurai action title Trek to Yomi has looked like an exciting prospect since the day it was announced, impressive with everything from its slick-looking combat to its gorgeous black-and-white visual aesthetic.

With each new showing, we've grown more and more curious about the game, and ahead of its imminent launch on May 5, here, we'll be taking a look at some key points that you should know about it.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Easter Egg GIF

Orta

Banned
Probably one to wait for until its available for a tenner.

Reviews aren't bad, mostly in the 7/10 range.

Probably one to wait for until its available for a tenner.

Reviews aren't bad, mostly in the 7/10 range.

Gamespot gave it a 5 lol, I’ve been seeing some really low scores. Yeah, if you’re not getting it on gamepass its def a wait for an indie sale kind of game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Gamespot gave it a 5 lol, I’ve been seeing some really low scores. Yeah, if you’re not getting it on gamepass its def a wait for an indie sale kind of game.
I'm definitely curious if it's really a 5. It sounded totally fine from the IGN review.

It's possible that reviewers are laying into this game and comparing it to AAA Ghost of Tsushima. I think it's literally made by 1 guy. Guess I'll see tonight.

Gamespot's is literally the lowest score, at least on Opencritic. It's mostly 7s and 8s with an occasional 6. I'm definitely eager to try it, downloading now.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Oof. Looks like a miss.

I'm not going to waste my time just because I'm paying for GamePass and feel obligated.

Too bad they couldn't have gotten Rogue Legacy 2 instead of this.
I didn’t like rogue legacy but this game has a cool style. I will check it out for style points.

I'm definitely curious if it's really a 5. It sounded totally fine from the IGN review.

It's possible that reviewers are laying into this game and comparing it to AAA Ghost of Tsushima. I think it's literally made by 1 guy. Guess I'll see tonight.

It just seems like the gameplay is just not very good. Presentation and story are what keep being highlighted. In a game where you’re mostly fighting i think thats a pretty good omission. It’s not exactly a tell tale game

Last edited:

Otre

Banned
First hours. This is a game that will be sold on gifs and overhyped as a hidden gem in the years to come cause of its art. The gameplay just sucks. What a waste of good art.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Gave in and bought it. Played just under and hour so far.

Hmm. Rather basic to say the least. Graphics are blatantly its selling point, as I said earlier, I should have waited till its on sale for a tenner, or less. Have requested a refund.

20220505203052-1.jpg

Last edited:
Gave in and bought it. Played just under and hour so far.

Hmm. Rather basic to say the least. Graphics are blatantly its selling point, as I said earlier, I should have waited till its on sale for a tenner, or less. Have requested a refund.

20220505203052-1.jpg
It's story and its audio visual presentation is its selling point and in that regard its brilliant. You are actually meant to play through the whole game in one sitting, I really like it.

Watched someone play 20 minutes or so on twitch. Yeah, im glad i withheld my 17 bucks on this, it looks absolutely awful to play.

Makes makes me appreciate what Suckerpunch did with Tsushima’s combat even more.

Fbh

The reviews of this are really weird. It's one of the most obvious examples of reviewers basically using a 7-10 scale.

There's a bunch from different outlets that basically boil down to "everything aside from the art direction is bad....7/10"

The reviews of this are really weird. It's one of the most obvious examples of reviewers basically using a 7-10 scale.

There's a bunch from different outlets that basically boil down to "everything aside from the art direction is bad....7/10"

Yep, i thought the same thing. I was watching Kinda Funny, and Greg and Andy spent like an hour saying how much fun they DIDN’T have playing this. Both agreed they didn’t even wanna finish it because it was so bad, but pushed through or dropped it down to easy to roll credits. They sounded like it was a miserable experience for them but praised the art direction.

Andy still gave it a 3/5 which is considered “Good” on their scale but said it was close to being a 2. How is a 4-5 hour game that you struggle to finish a 3/5?

People just don’t like trashing these artsy indie games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds like a shit game wrapped in pretty packaging. I'll still give it a try one of these days. Sounds like a super short game too which I can plow through.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Watched someone play 20 minutes or so on twitch. Yeah, im glad i withheld my 17 bucks on this, it looks absolutely awful to play.

Makes makes me appreciate what Suckerpunch did with Tsushima’s combat even more.

I raise you.....
0931647821303caf1270e9ff91ec9e2d.gif

What I like about this is, its pure gameplay.

Top Bottom