• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers More than meets the eye is one of the best comics you haven't read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

UXDvp9T.jpg

Are you fed up with the gross taste that the Bayformer movies leave you with? Do you desire well thought out plots and wonderful characterization? Then this series is for you!
Whether you're a fan of the franchise or not, this is a comic book series that is def. worth reading especially if you enjoy characterization and character focused series or plots.

Where to get the series
Humble IDW Transformers comics bundle #113Bundle offer has ended!

TF Spotlight: Kup
Last Stand of the Wreckers on Comixology
Transformers: Chaos Theory
More than meets the eye Comixology page
Transformers: Dark Prelude
Dark Cybertron on Comixology

Some of the IDW series are part of Comixology Unlimited's offer so consider using it to read the series.

Brief History of IDW’s Transformers comics
IDW got the rights to make comic series based on the Transformers franchise in 2005. At the time the series was primarily written by long time TF comics author Simon Furman, although other authors also contributed to the series since it began.

By 2009, Mike Costa became the main writer on the mainline TF book, with various miniseries and one shots being published still. In 2010, IDW published a 5 issue mini series titled ‘Last Stand of the Wreckers’, this is James Roberts, long time TF comics fan, first officially published Transformers work and was co-written along with Nick Roche who did the art for the book.

On January 2012, IDW launched two series that would serve as the mainline Transformers books:

Robots in Disguise with John Barber as the writer. This series follows Bumblebee & Prowl and their band of Autobots having to deal with situations and events going on a Cybertron that is being repopulated by not just Autobots and Decepticons but also Cybertronians who chose not to participate in the war. Starscream eventually becomes one of the main characters in this series.
Primary cast for this book are: Bumblebee, Metalhawk, Starscream, Prowl and Arcee.

The 2nd book is More than meets the eye with James Roberts as writer and Alex Milne being primary artist on the book (over time a few issues would be drawn by different artists). This thread is mainly for this book, while RiD is good in its own way, MTMTE manages to stand out for its characterization and writing.
More than meets the eye (MTMTE for short) follows Rodimus who declares to the citizens of a newly rejuvenated Cybertron of his epic quest-

Managing to convince 200 Autobots to join his cause, he along with Drift and Ultra Magnus set off in their star ship the Lost Light in search for their long lost great ancestors, the Knights of Cybertron.
Primary cast for this book are: Rodimus, Drift, Ultra Magnus, Ratchet, Cyclonus, Whirl, Chromedome, Rewind, Brainstorm, Swerve, Tailgate, Rung & Skids. To name a few.

Personally I like to think of MTMTE as ‘Roberts, Roche and Milne’s Transformers’ run, as the series truly begins with Last Stand of the Wreckers, from which Roberts would base and lay down the foundation for MTMTE and his world building of the Transformers universe.

What to expect from the series
More than meets the eye is a series that is very character-centric; the characters move the plot, and there is a lot of characterization as well. Even if you've never heard or dislike some of the characters in the series, I still recommend reading it, as the writing itself is superb and the art at its best is spectacular and vibrant.
The series has great world building too, the creative team on MTMTE have gone very in depth to flesh out the universe going so far as to look at Cybertronian and post-Cybertron society and personal views.

The SUGGESTED reading order
If the mere mention of a good comic book series is enough to pique your interest, follow this simple guide to get into this fun entertaining series.

First however I'd like to point something: Last Stand of the Wreckers can still be enjoyed stand alone, so even if you've never read the TF comics before, so you could always just get that and if you liked it, move onto the other titles mentioned below.
Same applies to More than Meets the Eye, as you can just dive straight into that if you want and then go back and read up the other titles.

1- Last Stand of the Wreckers
1b- Spotlight: Kup (This one is optional but was written by Roche and gets a small reference in LSoW. It has great art too)
2- Transfomrers: Chaos Theory TPB (You only need to read the 2-parter story in this book as it was written by Roberts and offers more world building. It also gets referenced later in MTMTE)
3- More than meets the eye Volumes 1-3
3b- Robots in Disguise Vol. 1 onwards (You can start reading RiD after Vol. 1 of MTMTE, feel free to alternate between the books. Note that at one point the RiD subtitle is dropped and the book is simply titled Transformers)
4- Transformers: Dark Prelude. This is a collection of one shot stories, but some are written by Roberts and features a plot point that becomes important in a later story. Also shows Megatron putting Starscream in his place so that's always fun.
5- MTMTE Vol. 4-5
6- Dark Cybertron
7- MTMTE Vol. 6-9
7b- Transformers Holiday Special 2015 (Optional but has a nice story ft. Whirl)
8- MTMTE Vol. 10
9- Sins of the Wreckers (This book is more to do with LSotW and Robots in Disguise although you can still read it even if you hadn't read RiD)
10- Transformers: Titans Return

If you look at the Comixology pages I linked above you'd notice that the other books mentioned cost more than the bundle, so if you want to skip them for now, that's fine as the main series is still enjoyable and you can go back to read those other books whenever they go on sale. Alt. check out Comixology Unlimited offer as it includes many series as well.

For a more comprehensive reading order/list check this post

A quick write up on the series
Here are some quick write ups for the first 5 or so books in the reading order for anyone who wants an idea of what the books would be about. I’ve aimed to make them as spoiler free as possible as well.

Last Stand of the Wreckers

The premise
The rogue Decepticon Overlord had taken over the Autobot Prison Facility Garrus-9 and has been ruling over it for 3 years. Autobot High Command, upon realizing they had lost contact with the facility, mobilize the Autobot's Black Ops unit, The Wreckers, lead by Springer, to infiltrate Garrus-9 and free it from Decepticon control.

The art in this book is handled by Nick Roche, with Josh Burcham doing the colors. Josh Burcham's colors add great depth and visual style to Roche's pencils, helping panels that are character focused to really stand out and be imposing.

The first issue begins by showing Garrus-9 under siege by the Decepticons. The chief warden, Fortress Maximums, aka Fort Max, is undeterred by the assault. Notice how the very first page sets things up instantly with the pace of the dialog not dawdling and giving the reader all the information they need.

On the next page, Overlord enters the scene to much fanfare:

Following the fall of G9, the book switches to a group of Autobots, never before or rarely if ever known or seen in the many TF media, they are the new recruits for Springer's Wreckers team, waiting at a space port to join up with Springer.

As this ragtag group boards the ship they meet with Verity, a human who the Autobots befriend during their battle with the Decepticons on Earth. She had stowaway-ed on Magnus' ship and has been working with him for the past few years. They eventually meet with Springer who briefs them on their mission; free Garrus-9 from Decepticon control.

The remainder of the issue becomes character focused, letting the reader know about the characters, their personalities and quirks.

By the end of the first issue much is established (at least character-wise), such as the brutality and the ferocity of Overlord, and Ironfist's interest in the Wreckers.

The 2nd issue shows the team preparing for their mission along with some more characterization and interaction between the cast. It closes up with the mission being underway, and like many stories have shown, nothing ever goes according to plan…

With LSotW, Roberts lay down the foundation for what MTMTE would build off of, as in LSotW he introduced many aspects and ideas that serve to expand on the lore of the TF series.

As an addendum, consider tracking down the one shot story Spotlight: Kup, which was written and drawn by Nick Roche. It serves as the motivation for Guzzle joining the team and remains a solid and interesting stand alone issue.

Chaos Theory

The events of this story takes place a few years after the events of LSotW, with a most peculiar incident; Megatron willingly surrendering to the Autobots. No Fusion Canon blasting or bludgeoning with a cyber mace, nothing; straight up surrenders to Prime and his cadre of Autobots.

The Autobots wouldn’t have time to contemplate this surprising turn of events for long though; a sinister threat is approaching their once home planet of Cybertron, and so Optimus forms a crew and together they leave Earth and travel to Cybertron taking Megatron along as their prisoner.

That’s about all you need to know going into these 2 issues which are a must read primarily due to the fact that it focuses on Optimus and Megatron and their views of each other. Even if you've never read a TF comic before, these 2 issues can easily be gotten into primarily for the focus on these 2 characters and the flashback story, making it a really good standalone story.

This story focuses on 2 events: Pre-war Cybertron flashback that tells the events of and following the arrest of a miner by the name of Megatron, and the present time events that unfold aboard Omega Supreme between Prime and Megatron, as the Transformers are traveling to Cybertron

Before I continue I should point out that this is one of the earliest collaborations between James Roberts and Alex Milne; Milne would go on to become the main artist on the More than Meets the Eye series, if his artstyle isn't recognizable here, then it is very likely due to the coloring, which was done by Joana LaFuente.

There's a lot I like about this 2 parter; for one the writing and dialog is well done, gets the message through, fun to read (IMHO) and is easy to follow. In addition, much like how one of the things All-Star Superman is praised for being that a single page tells a lot on its own applies here. For example, here is the very first page of Issue #22-

From this one page you learn about the status of pre-war Cybertron's society. Here's the 2nd page that follows it, the dialog and writing works to expand on what was established in the prior page-

The first issue would jump between the Megatron’s arrest (in pre-war Cybertron), and Optimus (in the present time) getting around to doing something we've rarely, if ever, seen been done in many TF media; just sit down and talk to Megatron.

Remember how I wrote about how a single page tells a lot on its own? Same applies here even though I've shown 2 pages, but show that to ANYONE who is a huge fan of the 80s cartoon and they're likely to get a big stupid grin on their face. I just can't get enough of Megatron just sitting on that chair all casual, arms behind his head in a relaxed manner talking to Optimus Prime like he's a good old friend.
Their discussion goes on for quite a few pages, filled with some great back and forth between the two.

Following their interaction, we get to see Autobot High Command deciding on the fate of Megatron, presented in a 2-page spread, what I like about this panel is how the reader gets a look at the politics surrounding what the Autobots should do with Megatron and each one giving their view on the situation, something you wouldn't normally see in the animated series and the films.

The 2nd part of the story goes on to focus on the ‘fallout’ of Megatron’s arrest, shifting focus onto Optimus Prime, then Orion Pax. If you were ever a fan of Optimus, then you will love this issue because it is full of badass and awesome moments of the character.
More than meets the eye would build off elements mentioned in these 2 issues as well, hence why they are necessary for the enjoyment of the main series as a whole.

In closing, this 2 parter is a great self-contained story that one can go back to time and time again, and even those who hadn't touched anything or many Transformers related media other than the 80s G1 cartoon will appreciate and enjoy.

More than meets the eye Vol. 1
mtmte_vol1ewy9n.jpg

The first volume follows Rodimus and his crew's departure from Cybertron as they begin their quest...or at least try to.
After a rocky start that requires the team to land on a nearby planet for repairs, the crew must deal with unforeseen terrors befall them as they recoup in order to continue with their quest.
It should be noted that the first part of the story is intended to set up both MTMTE and Robots in Disguise, which also shows Rodimus' inspiration for taking to the stars in search of the Knights.
Also a bar is opened in the Lost Light.

More than meets the eye Vol. 2
mtmte_vol2jxx5z.jpg

The 2nd volume of the series is Decepticon-centric as the ramifications of this faction's actions are explored in this book.
The book consists of 2 stories:
In the first story, with the Lost Light well underway, we follow Ratchet as he make a short visit to the Delphi Medical Facility on the planet Messatine after finding a cryptic message. In addition, newly resuscitated Tailgate begins learning the Autobot Code from non other than Ultra Magnus, Duly Appointed Enforcer of the Tyrest Accord, himself.
12ysl5f.jpg

The second story focus on a group of the most wild and manic group of Decepticons you've never known: The Scavengers. These bots are so pathetic they make G1 cartoon Starscream look competent: let that sink in for a while.
TzVQnkJ.png

In addition we get our first look at a main antagonist to the series: The Decepticon Justice Division (who are actually mentioned early in the first story).

More than meets the eye Vol. 3
mtmte_vol3p2bmm.jpg

This 3rd volume begins with the group seemingly making progress in their quest as they approach a planet that is home to the Circle of Light, a group of Cybertronians with knowledge of the Knights of Cybertron.

Following this story is a 3 parter that follows the ramifications of the first story from Vol. 2.
In it Rewind gets a group of Autobots to help him tell a story from pre-war Cybertron, at a troubling time in the planet's history with the social climate being shaken by the rise of a faction known as 'Decepticons'. This 3 parter features copious amounts of Optimus Prime (then Orion Pax) being a total badass and reminding fans of the character we they liked him in the first place.

As mentioned previously, the bundle linked at the start of this post will contain most of the volumes of MTMTE and Robots in Disguise, while the rest can be filled by grabbing them off of Comixology for example (also linked at the start of this thread).
So all you need is the $8 tier bundle. Revolution is the major crossover comic event IDW has going on atm so up to you if you want to read it or not.

In closing, I do hope you'll give this series a chance and enjoy it as others have.

Preach it, OP. MtMtE is incredible. For newcomers, if you love Transformers, you'll love the series. For those that hate Transformers, you'll still love the series, the characters are that good. Character development, intrigue, great humor, horrifying nightmare fuel, tight plotting/pacing, thoughtful commentary on religion and politics - the series has it all.

The series also has my favorite version of Megatron ever, too, he's absolutely fantastic. (Well, my favorite version of everyone, really.) Ultra Magnus and Swerve are also scene stealers.

Mindwipe

Great OP. MTMTE is the best conic of the last few years.

Heck, the first four volumes are a dollar on the Humble Bundle! Seriously. Run, don't walk. Go get it immediately. You won't regret it.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, it was a pretty nice run.

The series also has my favorite version of Megatron ever, too, he's absolutely fantastic. (Well, my favorite version of everyone, really.) Ultra Magnus and Swerve are also scene stealers.

True, that. I love where they ook Megaron in this series. Some of my favorite moments with him. Spoilers, obviously.

I love that they took Megatron of his usual element, stripped him of his rank, and reduced his power, and forced him to interact with a whole lot of normal and not so normal autobots. He had great growth as a character during the last couple of years but I'm afraid it will be undone when Hasbro pushes for it.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic O.P.
Purchased the bundle as I love inexpensive digital comics.

Last Stand of the Wreckers remains one of my favorite comics ever, pretty much perfection. Gonna start reading through the Humble Bundle this weekend. Awesome OP!

Did Simon Furman write Megatron Origin?

Told this story before but I tried to get into TF comics and started (then stopped) with Megatron Origin. Everything about it was awful. The writing, the cluttered artwork, the paneling, everything. Turned me off TF comics indefinitely.

Tizoc

Told this story before but I tried to get into TF comics and started (then stopped) with Megatron Origin. Everything about it was awful. The writing, the cluttered artwork, the paneling, everything. Turned me off TF comics indefinitely.

Nope that book was written by Eric Holmes. Interestingly enough Alex Milne was the artist on it.

antispin

I keep meaning to pick up MTMTE but defer the decision because I don't know the scope of what I'd need to buy. So thanks for this thread. Question: if I pickup the $8 bundle, I'll be converted wrt MTMTE, right?

Tizoc

I keep meaning to pick up MTMTE but defer the decision because I don't know the scope of what I'd need to buy. So thanks for this thread. Question: if I pickup the $8 bundle, I'll be converted wrt MTMTE, right?

It's missing Vol. 10 which got released recently. I've added a reading order which I recommend following but otherwise the 9 volumes you'll get are a good deal and will offer a fun experience :)

NEO0MJ

If it's any consolation most of i has been either ignored or retconned.

Simon Furman got BLEAK.

I read that G1 continuation he did for IDW earlier in the year, wasn't that impressed.

How is MMTE compared to the best of the 80's stuff like Target 2006, All Fall Down, Decepticon Civil War etc?

Tizoc

Simon Furman got BLEAK.

I read that G1 continuation he did for IDW earlier in the year, wasn't that impressed.

How is MMTE compared to the best of the 80's stuff like Target 2006, All Fall Down, Decepticon Civil War etc?

Hard to tell but read the pages I've linked and see if you like the writing style. While I enjoy the 80s TF comics (Target 2006 is a fun read), this series takes the TF mythos to a whole other level while also providing fantastic characterization.

Necrovex

Ok. I am committed to buying the 8 usd bundle. How's the GI Joe comics? I may upgrade to the 15 usd one. It's been a while since I had American comics to read.

Tizoc

Ok. I am committed to buying the 8 usd bundle. How's the GI Joe comics? I may upgrade to the 15 usd one. It's been a while since I had American comics to read.

Personally all I know about G I Joe comics is that Larry Hama's work is among the best GI Joe comics, so look up what stories he wrote and consider reading those collections.

Bought the 1$ humblebundle just for MTMTE. Wanted to read this for a long time.

Can you guys recommed any other story lines from the humblebundle?

Just grabbed the $8 tier and realised I'd already bought a Transformers Comic bundle about a year ago and then realised all of the volumes are different (old one: vol 1-6, new: vol 7-9) so I am absolutely buzzing, cheers OP!

Are there any iPhone apps that would give an automatic guided mode like comixology has?

Interesting stuff, does any of this exist in the same continuity of the 80s Marvel comics?

Rodimus, Drift, Ultra Magnus, Ratchet, Cyclonus, Whirl, Chromedome, Rewind, Brainstorm, Swerve, Tailgate, Rung & Drift.

The near encyclopedic knowledge I used to have of the G1 toys is slipping, but that's a diverse cast from what I remember.

A 1984 original, some movie guys, some Headmasters, a cassette without Blaster, two of the later minibots

It's cool they have so much to draw from and aren't obligated to use whatever toys are on shelves.

It's also really interesting they have built such a dense mythology out of Japanese toys that didn't even belong to a unified series. Are they ever restrained by the original license holders in Japan? Or does the American license guarantee they get to use everything that fallen into the Transformers brand in perpetuity?

Interesting stuff, does any of this exist in the same continuity of the 80s Marvel comics?

The near encyclopedic knowledge I used to have of the G1 toys is slipping, but that's a diverse cast from what I remember.

A 1984 original, some movie guys, some Headmasters, a cassette without Blaster, two of the later minibots

It's cool they have so much to draw from and aren't obligated to use whatever toys are on shelves.

It's also really interesting they have built such a dense mythology out of Japanese toys that didn't even belong to a unified series. Are they ever restrained by the original license holders in Japan? Or does the American license guarantee they get to use everything that fallen into the Transformers brand in perpetuity?

My transformers knowledge is also fairly slipped, but I feel like beyond Beast Masters all the newer cartoons/series are just re-imagings of the existing universe, no? Any toys I see on the shelves are just the same transformers I've known for years but just slightly different looks.

Tizoc

Nope this is its own continuity
Rung is a completely new character created for this series btw
Speaking of japan remember this guy?
images

Good ol star saber shows up in the comic!
only he is a self righteous asshole who you want to punch in the face

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Wish I had a tablet to read this on. Would pick up the humble deal but reading comics on my phone, no thanks.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a trade next time I go into my comic shop to pick up my pull.

Tizoc

Wish I had a tablet to read this on. Would pick up the humble deal but reading comics on my phone, no thanks.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a trade next time I go into my comic shop to pick up my pull.
Heh i read comics on my iphone 6s and have the series installed in it so i cAn read from time to time xp
For $8 you cant go wrong with this so if u get it u may find a good deal for tablets come black friday and then u can just copy it to the tablet then :3

Necrovex

Before I buy, am I able to download these comics for offline use? Always online comics won't work too well while living in a non WiFi community.

Savitar

It really is some wonderful stuff, amazing twist and turns. Some die, and some die horribly and do mean horribly. At times it's like robot GoT or TWD. Lots of unique characters and different situations which is nice, getting away from earth (for as long as it did) was very nice and what many wanted.

If I only had one ntipick it's that a lot of bots are just too silly, they're kinda written to be trading witty quips back and forth with nonsensical situations. I know that's currently the in thing in comics and movies but...it can get a bit too repetitive and tiresome. If they're not written that way they tend to be more stoic or serious types. I've kinda chalked it all up to everyone suffering from a several million year war case of PTSD but yeah, kinda wish for some more normal or regular guys instead of quirky ones.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This has been my favorite series for a while ..... Great job OP is expressing why it should be a must read book

Tizoc

Before I buy, am I able to download these comics for offline use? Always online comics won't work too well while living in a non WiFi community.
Yes you can! I had purchased a prvious comic bundle and you can download them as pdf or cbr/cbz
Free comic book reader apps can recognize these formats

Damn that's a great deal.

But I just don't enjoy digital as much as physical. And I want to get these in physical format.

Decisions, decisions.

Tizoc

Damn that's a great deal.

But I just don't enjoy digital as much as physical. And I want to get these in physical format.

Decisions, decisions.
Hey this bundle is $8 for 20+ Digital books!
That is a small price to pay for being able to read them on your prefered laptop or tableg of choice ;)
I myself own series both digital and physical

I fell in love with the transformers comics about a year ago when I started reading Robots in disguise, I say definitely give that one a chance as well since it's pretty great. Although after dark cybertron I definitely wasn't as grabbed by the run as much I once was, but prior to that it was astounding. That being said MTMTE is fantastic, the characters are great and I had actually introduced my ex to the series and she fell in love with them. The bit with rewind trying to flip the table is her favorite and we still joke about it.

But yeah be careful picking favorite characters..

Lagamorph

Can the Amazon Kindle app import files like these? That's where I buy my Manga through these days and it would be nice to put comics in there as well to keep everything together and organised.

Mindwipe

Can the Amazon Kindle app import files like these? That's where I buy my Manga through these days and it would be nice to put comics in there as well to keep everything together and organised.

Calibre can convert them into a Kindle friendly Mobi, IIRC.

Mindwipe

No, it's a G1 continuity but IDW started up it's own.

The main differences are (minor spoilers for earlier books than MTMTE/RID in the IDW continuity):
Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge are individual characters, rather than future versions of the Decepticons. They're very, very old Cybertronians. And the war between the Autobots and Decepticons didn't involve the '84 cast being deactivated on Earth for 4 million years, they just arrived on Earth in the modern era. So Prime has been Autobot leader for more or less the entire time.

Simon Furman did write a series based in the original US G1 comic continuity for IDW called Transformers: Regeneration One, but it's meh.

Hasbro and Takara-Tomy have a very broad cross licensing agreement that effectively means anything either party creates can be used by the other.

Vyer

One of the best books out there. Not just because it's 'omg Transformers' but it is genuinely well rounded and heartfelt, with fully formed characters with honest motivations, concerns and fears. Yeah, there's some 'watch this badass robot do this badass thing' of course, but the book couples that with storylines and plots that go far deeper than that. It's also a blast to follow, with callbacks and nods that reward regular readers of the series.

It's also oddly violent at times, with a level of gore that's not exactly gore because it's robots and oils and metal, but works beautifully because of how the characters are fleshed out. It's the right kind of disturbing without being too gratuitous. It just denotes a creative team that has a full grasp of the world they are in and the tools they have to work with.

In other words; it's pretty good and you should read it.

MrDaravon

So I used to have the first 5 or so IDW hardcover collections which seem to mostly/completely pre-date the stuff in the OP. I have never puchased any comics digitally or used comixology or any of those sites, but $8 for a huge chunk of these is hard to say no to. That said, is the entire IDW run including all of that stuff up on any of those sites where it would be worth keeping an eye out for them on sale or whatever? I'll probably grab this $8 bundle because it's a ridiculous deal, but I'd like to go back and get all the older stuff that pre-dates what is specifically in this bundle if possible at some point/on sale. I'm OCD and like reading everything in chronological order etc.

Faiz

Glad you finally got this up Tizoc :D.

MTME has been in my top 5 every month since it started, and usually at or close to #1.

I'm super behind right now though :/

Tizoc

Glad you finally got this up Tizoc :D.

MTME has been in my top 5 every month since it started, and usually at or close to #1.

I'm super behind right now though :/
Season 2 of mtmte has recently ended & now is as good a time as any to get into/back into the series!

Note to aelf: catch up on kr faiz :v

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I got up to the arc where that robot was comatosed (name escapes me) so they tell stories to try and wake him up

Dropped it there, as I just wasn't feeling it

Thanks for the info OP, I own a hard copy of Wreakers Last Stand and loved it. I never got into any more comic because, I prefer big collection novels and I didn't like the small amount of issues were in each novel, I prefer to get bigger novels with full story lines.

Faiz

Season 2 of mtmte has recently ended & now is as good a time as any to get into/back into the series!

Note to aelf: catch up on kr faiz :v

Oh I have them all, I'm great about getting to the shop to pick up my pulls, terrible about finding the time to read lately >_<

And yeah do that! :D

rbenchley

More than Meets the Eye has been the best ongoing comic book series for years, and nothing else has been particularly close. Every character is written with great depth and shown to be more than just some "good" Autobot or "evil" Decpticon. Even the most minor characters are portrayed in such a way to suggest a rich interior life and interesting backstory and you could easily imagine the book shifting focus to follow their POV and it would be just as interesting as following the main cast. Any particular storyline (or single issue) can go from humor to horror to action to science fiction to romance to adventure and it never feels out of place or tonally inconsistent.

Trying to describe everything that happens in the book reminds me of the grandfather at the beginning of The Princess Bride replying to his grandson when he asks if the book has any sports in it. "Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..."

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
MTMTE is probably the best ongoing comic I've ever read. Everything is just so well thought out, from the world to the characters. It's always satisfying when plot threads that started years ago are finally resolved, and resolved well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom