• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania Nations remake announced for PC

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ubisoft announced a remake of Trackmania Nations for PC, simply titled Trackmania, at the Trackmania Grand League Finals in Lyon, France. Developed by Ubisoft Nadeo, it will launch on May 5.

According to Ubisoft, Trackmania combines “easy-to-learn, hard-to-master gameplay style” with “a fresh look and creative direction.” Its features include:

• Regularly updated content: Trackmania features an official seasonal campaign and a daily track selection.
  • Diverse tracks: Trackmania allows for unique track creations that players can share by providing new surfaces and “special” blocks.
  • A new type of eSport: Trackmania makes eSports accessible to everyone, with in-game daily competitions to international open leagues.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They had already done Stadium for Trackmania 2, how's this going to differ to that (other than be free to play like Nations I guess) and are its buyers sol? Or did they maybe mean a United (which Nations was the insanely popular f2p version of limited to the stadium environment) remake with all themes? I loved Nations and bought United just to support them after all that free goodness but they've not been able to recapture that magic and at this point unless they reinvent and overhaul and refresh stuff with much more than just better graphics and a slightly different interface and stuff, the oldies are still there and have an endless amount of content (which we've played so much of the slight in the grand scheme of things alterations in later games aren't nearly enough to fully renew interest). They honestly don't look too shabby either and perform wonderfully in high res/high fps:

Last edited:

Koopatrol

Love me some Trackmania. I only played Trackmania Turbo on PS4 because it was free with Plus, but I loved it so much and got the platinum trophy. So I'll probably get this.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Livestream for the full reveal:

-It is not a remake of Trackmania Nations. It's an outright redesign of the series which will just be called Trackmania

-New surfaces like clay or ice that drastically change the way of driving

-We are no longer forced to place the blocks on the grid: you can put them wherever you want

-Nadéo will also introduce special blocks which will slow down time, for example

-Driving hasn't changed but you now have more control of your vehicle outdoors

-Trackmania will include solo campaigns but they will also be playable in coop

-Local network available

May 5 on PC

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
"We set a top limit to it because most engaged players can sometimes spend a lot and that we want to leave no one out of the track. Of course that amount is a lot, but $20 per year is still something we believe is okay for one of your top online activity.

Castelnerac said that in his opinion, $10 for a year of the service, and then the opportunity pay another $10 for another year—or not, if you prefer—makes more sense than paying full price for a game that many people won't play for a year anyway. And for those who do stay committed to it, the pricing scheme makes it easier for developers to continue supporting the game new content over the long run."

I'm ok with this

Epic Games Store and/or Uplay I'm seeing which is a big No thanks. Preferred the old days of just having the game on Steam. Really wish I had my 144hz monitor back to enjoy this game.

FranXico

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this. The subscription model stings, but on the other hand, 10 euros per year sounds reasonable.

Does it have microtransactions on top of the subscription? If so I’m out, I love Trackmania, man I’m so in two minds here. Anyone played it yet?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I played the game yesterday and had a fun time with it. I haven’t paid yet so I don’t know how much you actually miss for not paying, but from what I understand you lose club access as well the ability to customize you car or something like that. Maybe there more to it?

Happy for Trackmania to be back is some capacity though, really hope we get custom servers like back in the day!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what
the
fuck

is the point in buying this on epic when you still are forced to use that ubisheit

Last edited:
So it seems you just download the game for free and if you want to upgrade for premium features it’s done through uplay, so if you don’t use epic there’s no point just download it on uplay

Once had a lan-party-esque thing with about 25 friends and acquaintances.

And boy did we play Trackmania, it was glo-ri-ous.

I think the limit was 16 players in a game? Beer, weed, music, great great fun. Highly recommended.

Amory

Fell down a 6 hour trackmania hole yesterday. No ragrets. Game is great.

I gladly spent the cash for club access. I see myself playing this most every day for 30 minutes or so. Maybe worth starting a Gaf club?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why is this game not on consoles? I understand it was originally on PC and that's where the community is with all the crazy servers and shit, but what aspect of the game COULDN'T work on console? Turbo was cool, although more limited I guess.

Ballthyrm

Why is this game not on consoles? I understand it was originally on PC and that's where the community is with all the crazy servers and shit, but what aspect of the game COULDN'T work on console? Turbo was cool, although more limited I guess.

Don't bury this too soon. It's Ubisoft we are talking about.
They talked about transforming this game in a service so i would expect this to go on console after the bugs are ironed out.

Console usually get the "early access" games later as player there are less forgiving and the patching process is slower.

Whitecrow

Banned
Fell down a 6 hour trackmania hole yesterday. No ragrets. Game is great.

I gladly spent the cash for club access. I see myself playing this most every day for 30 minutes or so. Maybe worth starting a Gaf club?
Club access too. Loving the new fresh take on the art department.

GAF club please!!!

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Don't bury this too soon. It's Ubisoft we are talking about.
They talked about transforming this game in a service so i would expect this to go on console after the bugs are ironed out.

Console usually get the "early access" games later as player there are less forgiving and the patching process is slower.
But aren’t games like Fortnite patched just as fast as PC? I think if they stay in beta they can go through the process a lot faster.

With cross play being a thing and this game not really giving PC or console players any advantage, this could be a huge hit by adding PS4/Xbox One/Switch support. Game runs ok a potato computer, could probably even run on my iPhone.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Top Bottom