• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania is AWESOME and you should play it!!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
as a bit of a preface: Trackmania is VERY online oriented. You can play the game offline singleplayer, but you're basically foregoing a lot of the custom made content, dedicated server multiplayer, leaderboards news, etc. This applies to pretty much every game made since United Forever. I highly recommend playing the games with an internet connection.

The gameplay is very simple, you're given a car and a course you're expected to get to the end of, more often than not taking advantage of the speed and game's physics to do stuff like
-make insane jumps
-drive on walls
-perform gravity defying stunts
etc. It's absolutely bonkers.

The courses can range from simple driving to platforming, puzzles, stunts, it's all pretty varied. This is thanks to the game's extremely flexible editor, which lets you make all sorts of crazy tracks. The only limits are your imagination. It's why there's such a diehard community for it, not many other driving games offer this level of flexibility and creativity. The spectacle of seeing cars go through these turning and twisting maps is immense, and it's only helped by the visuals of the games. Trackmania United Forever and Trackmania2 Canyon create an amazing sense of speed and scope in the environments that really captures the velocity you're traveling at. Trackmania 2 Canyon's visuals are especially impressive when you consider that game came out in 2011, it could have been a showpiece for the new next gen consoles that would arrive 2 years later.

One of the best things about Trackmania is the community. They are constantly building new maps, setting new records, and making new mods every day. There's a whole lot of crazy stuff to be found in this game and it's all thanks to the dedicated players who are consistently working hard on the game and making it the best it can be. This is reflected in a fan page called TM-Exhange which seeks to store every single custom track and mod the franchise has.

The biggest drawback to Trackmania is that the best games in the franchise are PC exclusive. Trackmania 2020 is coming to consoles soon which is a big boon for anyone who wants to get into the franchise, but Trackmania 2, and Trackmania United Forever are all on PC only, not to mention while those games have a traditional 'pay and you get it forever' model, Trackmania 2020 is a subscription. It's a shame, but I think if you can get past that, you will have a lot of fun.

If you like speedrunning, F-Zero, and custom content, I think Trackmania will be the perfect game for you.

amigastar

Played it back in the days, Trackmania Stadium i think. Good game. What Trackmania is the most recent though?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Played it back in the days, Trackmania Stadium i think. Good game. What Trackmania is the most recent though?
this is the 2020 release. It's stadium only sadly but has probably the most gameplay additions in terms of stadium. I perfer the older ones because they had more variety and weren't locked behind a subscription model though.
I would actually give it a chance if it was on steam and wasn't a subscription, it seems like a decent trackmania but the business practices put me off

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
My man! I remember playing one of those many years ago and having LOTs of fun, and I'm not even a racing games person.

It was very cool to run at the same time as so many other people, and being one of the top racers among so many was a very rewarding feeling. Good memories. :)

amigastar

this is the 2020 release. It's stadium only sadly but has probably the most gameplay additions in terms of stadium. I perfer the older ones because they had more variety and weren't locked behind a subscription model though.
I would actually give it a chance if it was on steam and wasn't a subscription, it seems like a decent trackmania but the business practices put me off
Ah, ok thanks. Good to know the business practice is shady, though.

CamHostage

As has been pointed out, Trackmania is coming to console (and "cloud") next year, which should be cool. PS4/5+XB One/Series (no Switch, unfortunately, which makes sense but the Wii and DS got some pretty good spin-offs of Trackmania by Firesprite back in the day and it would have been nice to have the series portable if possible.) Not sure what's up with the extreme draw-in with this trailer but hopefully the final release is in line with the PC version.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Was awesome in like 2006 when they launched Nations for free and then I also got United to have all the themes but no sequel has gripped me the same since and the monetization schemes on them have been suspect. Ubisoft's fault I guess, they bought the studio or something at that point.

Maybe it's due for a proper remake that goes back to its most successful roots, give away the free Nations theme whatever it was called (Stadium I think) then ask for $50 for the whole rest thing forever like any boxed game and let it become its own beast by the community and player base...

Last edited:

Rayderism

I played Trackmania Turbo when it released on PS4. I found it really fun until the later levels when the tracks started getting so ridiculous in design that you could barely even tell how you were supposed to traverse them, or when they started relying too much on pure luck to get through.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Was awesome in like 2006 when they launched Nations for free and then I also got United to have all the themes but no sequel has gripped me the same since and the monetization schemes on them have been suspect. Ubisoft's fault I guess, they bought the studio or something at that point.

Maybe it's due for a proper remake that goes back to its most successful roots, give away the free Nations theme whatever it was called (Stadium I think) then ask for $50 for the whole rest thing forever like any boxed game and let it become its own beast by the community and player base...
i got trackmania 2 and i think its superior to united forever, it may not have as many gamemodes but what's there is frankly more polished and fun. I especially like how much better the stadium cars handle, theyre far faster and way more fun.
plus, T2 has mods which united forever doesnt.
I have both though, so i'm pretty much covered on everything trackmania (couldn't care about the rest tbh)

Last edited:

Freeman76

I played it on Xbox and really enjoyed the early tracks. It just gets insanely tricky and it also feels too random at times in terms of bumps and dips.

Ive played thousands of hours of trials and was looking to scratch that itch since nothing after Trials evolution has. On trials even the hardest extremes feel doable with practice, but I never got that feeling with TM so I gave up on it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've played a lot of the old free one on PC and Turbo on PS4. I think the latest one is coming to consoles? Will definitely give it a go (don't have a capable gaming PC anymore).

Edit: Yep, early next year.

Last edited:
ohh this is free on Epic? i thought it was a paid Ubisoft game. i remember being interested in it but didn't want to go near Ubisoft. might try it out now.

edit: got it on Epic but still wants me to link my ubisoft account. lol guess i'm not playing it then.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It was very cool to run at the same time as so many other people, and being one of the top racers among so many was a very rewarding feeling. Good memories. :)
One thing I fucking love compared to other racing games is how trackmania is all about time. You don't collide with other racers, they're merely ghosts you have to beat. Anyone in last place can easily become 1st by setting a fucking amazing time on the track.

Top Bottom