• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Project - Highly Responsive to memes

Are you good with math?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll cryo-freeze you together with some english beef

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Guilty_AI

latest

Source: https://joke-battles.fandom.com/wiki/Touhou_Project

A thread for everything related to the Touhou project, be the main series games, fangames, manga, music, etc.

What the hell is Touhou?

Main series timeline:
PC-98 era:
1 - Highly Responsive to Prayers - 1997
2 - Story of Eastern Wonderland - 1997
3 - Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream - 1997
4 - Lotus Land Story - 1998
5 - Mystic Square - 1998

Windows era:
6 - Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - 2002
7 - Perfect Cherry Blossom - 2003
7.5 - Immaterial and Missing Power - 2004
8 - Imperishable Night - 2004
9 - Phantasmagoria of Flower View- 2005
9.5 - Shoot the Bullet - 2005
10 - Mountain of Faith - 2007
10.5 - Scarlet Weather Rhapsody - 2008
11 - Subterranean Animism - 2008
12 - Undefined Fantastic Object - 2009
12.3 - Touhou Hisoutensoku - 2009
12.5 - Double Spoiler - 2010
12.8 - Fairy Wars - 2010
13 - Ten Desires - 2011
13.5 - Hopeless Masquerade - 2013
14 - Double Dealing Character - 2013
14.3 - Impossible Spell Card - 2014
14.5 - Urban Legend in Limbo - 2015
15 - Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom - 2015
15.5 - Antinomy of Common Flowers - 2017
16 - Hidden Star in Four Seasons - 2017
16.5 - Violet Detector - 2018 -
17 - Wily Beast and Weakest Creature - 2019
17.5 - Touhou Gouyoku Ibun - TBR

Purchasing Guide
Full Purchasing guide
Entries that can be purchased through Steam:

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’m playing Luna Nights at the moment. As a metroidvania it’s quite basic, but the time stop and graze mechanics are interesting and well implemented, and the bosses are a good challenge. Very nice graphics, too!

I love Touhou music. ZUN’s style is very recognizable. A lot of tracks sound quite alike, but the overall sound signature is unique and engaging.

I’d gladly play the mainline games if they were made available, but sadly ZUN doesn’t seem interested in that.

Guilty_AI

I’m playing Luna Nights at the moment. As a metroidvania it’s quite basic, but the time stop and graze mechanics are interesting and well implemented, and the bosses are a good challenge. Very nice graphics, too!

I love Touhou music. ZUN’s style is very recognizable. A lot of tracks sound quite alike, but the overall sound signature is unique and engaging.

I’d gladly play the mainline games if they were made available, but sadly ZUN doesn’t seem interested in that.
He has been releasing his new entries on Steam since TH16, and seems to have released some older entries too (i've included the links in the OP), but you'll still have to use fantranslations.

As for the rest, its sad but there really is no other way to play them besides downloading them from the internet.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Actually re-check OP, I've included a purchasing guide.
Turns out there are actually a lot more Touhou games available through steam

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Actually re-check OP, I've included a purchasing guide.
Turns out there are actually a lot more Touhou games available through steam
Thanks for this. It’s just that, you know, my first experience with Touhou games was through a copy of Imperishable Night that I got... in a not legitimate way, so to speak. I’d like to be able to purchase even the earlier Windows games.

Sorry but this last statement requires some proof
Not when I add "I think" to the statement.

Not even sure what's considered "good" on here. But I 1cc'ed all characters in all games on Easy except Legacy Mode of TH15 (only 1CC with bunny girl).

The most recent Touhou game is pretty good, but the final boss is extremely lame.

I think my favorites are Mountain of Faith and Unidentified Fantastic Object.

Guilty_AI

Not when I add "I think" to the statement.

Not even sure what's considered "good" on here. But I 1cc'ed all characters in all games on Easy except Legacy Mode of TH15 (only 1CC with bunny girl).

The most recent Touhou game is pretty good, but the final boss is extremely lame.

I think my favorites are Mountain of Faith and Unidentified Fantastic Object.
I don't know if this changed in most recent titles given i've been playing mostly the earlier ones, but i usually considered the requirements to beat the game are to fill the conditions needed to unlock the extra stage (at least normal difficulty, 1cc), i suppose beating the extra stage too if you're feeling bold.

Oh but don't get me wrong, I 100% suck at them. I'm still trying to beat TH 6/7/8 in normal mode without using continues.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Well 1CC normal mode is really hard.

I personally prefer sticking to Easy but instead trying to beat my score each time.
The only issue i have with easy is that it skips the 6th stage entirely, so you're never playing the full game. You could try normal with continues just to see how far you can go.

Guilty_AI

No mainline Touhou game skips the 6th stage on Easy.
Oh, did some research and apparently it only skips the 6th stage on EotSD. I just kinda assumed it was like this for the rest of the games.

And since we're on the topic i'm obligated to post this:

Last edited:
I like easy mode. The flow is nicer because you can play with reaction alone and don't need to memorize patterns and use tricks to survive. Also I can always finish it 1CC at this point which is the exact length I want to play such a game.

Also Easy in Touhou is like Hard in other games.

Guilty_AI

I like easy mode. The flow is nicer because you can play with reaction alone and don't need to memorize patterns and use tricks to survive. Also I can always finish it 1CC at this point which is the exact length I want to play such a game.

Also Easy in Touhou is like Hard in other games.
I suppose i'll try too, at least so i can progress on the series rather than keep stuck at the earlier games

Top Bottom